Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 11:03   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Manza:: The Story Continues:: 20,000 kms Update

Finally was able to lay my hands on Bosch Symphony horn which is made by Bosch India. Why i was searching for this was of its loudness and crispness of sound. I had it earlier in my zen but it went kaput due to a wash. Found it in JC Road for about 450 bucks. Here are few pics of the package.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-wp_000007.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-wp_000008.jpg  

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-wp_000009.jpg  

Old 6th January 2012, 11:57   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

@MM, how does it sound ? Can you load a clip (you may need to rename format)
Old 10th January 2012, 17:12   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Pheeew!! Just came back last night and i think i can safely say that the problem is behind me as i didnt face it in this short trip to Mysore and back.
Motomaverick, although a bit late, however congrats on the issue being resolved for good. Having driven a QJD on my Vista, I can understand the linear acceleration we get. I have also driven the DDiS version of this engine and this is surely better with such linear power delivery.

TATA has surely done a lot of homework on this engine and tuned it well on both the siblings.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:49   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Motomaverick, although a bit late, however congrats on the issue being resolved for good. Having driven a QJD on my Vista, I can understand the linear acceleration we get. I have also driven the DDiS version of this engine and this is surely better with such linear power delivery.

TATA has surely done a lot of homework on this engine and tuned it well on both the siblings.
Yeah the QJD is a world reliable unit from Fiat, Maruti tuning is for acceleration + mileage, while Tata is cruise + mileage.

Update

Well its kinda sad but the Toothless met with an accident this last Friday night on the Blore - Chennai highway. It was the story of David falling Goliath, here David was a dog who had the timing to try and run right across the car, instantaneous judgement just made me move towards the left & also brake to avoid the creature but it was too late and the left of the car rammed against the railings on the left side of the highway. Ultimate damage?

1. Entire bumper is broken
2. Left h/l, fog light all gone
3. Big dent on the bonnet
4. Front 3 quarter panel slightly bent
5. Coolant pipe broken from the coolant box itself

These are the things that are visible from the outside, insurance has been claimed & approved, once they start to work will get to know other damages. Thankfully all the passengers were safe, nothing happened, i am amazed at the shear balance of the car under heavy braking, no sideways movement of the steering, only what i had moved, that too without ABS.

SO right now the Toothless is lying in Chennai at Tafe Reach Ltd and they said it will take 3 weeks to finish.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:59   #155
BHPian

My heartfelt condolences! Thank God passengers are safe.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:16   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah the QJD is a world reliable unit from Fiat, Maruti tuning is for acceleration + mileage, while Tata is cruise + mileage.

Update

SO right now the Toothless is lying in Chennai at Tafe Reach Ltd and they said it will take 3 weeks to finish.
I can understand the pain when one's beloved goes through this. Don't get me wrong, but thinking of cheering you up. Once I read your reply, saw your footer message. The thought that came to my mind was: "You were not fast, You were not flying, but you could not slip through this time"
Old 25th January 2012, 13:23   #157
Senior - BHPian

Update is that no update till now, the parts were still in transit till yesterday, expected to arrive today, Tafe Reach Ltd, has confrmed that by this weekend the work will be completed on my car.

I did pay a small visit last weekend to get things moving. Hoping to get this ordeal over with soon!!!

Without a car, i have been riding bikes now and suddenly the biking spirit has resurfaced after a long time since selling off my ZMA. It feels good to feel the wind on your face (all though with polluted particles as well ) once again.

Last edited by motomaverick : 25th January 2012 at 13:26.
Old 25th January 2012, 18:43   #158
BHPian

Sorry mm to miss your updates, and on the accident. I have this thread subscribed, but somehow it was'nt showing as 'Unread' for sometime. Wish a speedy recovery for your toothless.

Me too, sold my bike a couple of months ago, and suddently find myself wanting one !
Old 6th February 2012, 11:52   #159
Senior - BHPian

Update

So finally the Toothless is back home after the surgery for almost a month.

In the first pic below, the red dots are the parts that were changed, along with a lot of things inside the the engine bay. This picture was taken during the Goa drive.
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-older.jpg

And this is how it looks after the work, i would say pretty good patching of the paint, you cant make out. This was taken somewhere near Chitoor on the drive back.
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-new.jpg
Old 6th February 2012, 12:49   #160
BHPian

Quote:
the red dots are the parts that were changed, along with a lot of things inside the the engine bay.
WOW. Would you mind sharing how much did you have to shell out of your pocket and how much did insurance cover? Will help understand overall spare part costs.
Old 6th February 2012, 13:23   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Though the 1.3L may run of breath at higher speeds but in our highways if you can cruise at 120 and maintain avg speeds of 80kph will be quite fast.

So what happened to Mr.Miyagi? Well the Zen was bought off by Tata for an estimated amount of 1.52L including 20k exchange bonus, which I feel is a pretty good amount considering that the model is basic without power steering and being driven for so much.
Heartiest Congratulations!
A very wise choice that I echo.

Just wanted to mention:

1. Manza does not run out of breath at all.
Even though the MAX FE is between 100-120 kmph - it still has a LOT of power.
My 1.4 Indica Petrol was exhausted @ 160 kmph.
But My 1.3 MJD Manza - is BEGGING for more even at 150 kmph.
It goes effortlessly from 120 to 140. Without even a whimper.
Without even downgrading. I slot into 5th by 90kmph & it goes upto 145-150 absolutely linear (ofcourse its not a performance car) but still.
I have not tried above 153 kmph. Sorry.

2. That is an excellent price you got for the Zen ! Congratulations !!!
Old 6th February 2012, 13:44   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Update is that no update till now, the parts were still in transit till yesterday, expected to arrive today, Tafe Reach Ltd, has confrmed that by this weekend the work will be completed on my car.

I did pay a small visit last weekend to get things moving. Hoping to get this ordeal over with soon!!!

Without a car, i have been riding bikes now and suddenly the biking spirit has resurfaced after a long time since selling off my ZMA. It feels good to feel the wind on your face (all though with polluted particles as well ) once again.

That's the reason Apache is still rocking ... The feel of the wind has its own charm ....

As I said before . You should have rammed that darn Dog.... Ny ways Welcome back to the road .... I wish toothless all well

Last edited by M.R.Boruwa : 6th February 2012 at 13:47.
Old 6th February 2012, 14:03   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
WOW. Would you mind sharing how much did you have to shell out of your pocket and how much did insurance cover? Will help understand overall spare part costs.
Here is the break up

Total: 56442
Parts: 37876
Labor: 18585

Insurance Paid for 84% of the total bill, since the car was less than 6 months old its NIL depreciation on metal & paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Heartiest Congratulations!
A very wise choice that I echo.

Just wanted to mention:

1. Manza does not run out of breath at all.
Even though the MAX FE is between 100-120 kmph - it still has a LOT of power.
My 1.4 Indica Petrol was exhausted @ 160 kmph.
But My 1.3 MJD Manza - is BEGGING for more even at 150 kmph.
It goes effortlessly from 120 to 140. Without even a whimper.
Without even downgrading. I slot into 5th by 90kmph & it goes upto 145-150 absolutely linear (ofcourse its not a performance car) but still.
I have not tried above 153 kmph. Sorry.

2. That is an excellent price you got for the Zen ! Congratulations !!!
Well Thanks, the car is already some 4 months old

Yes, those observations were when the car was newer and i had not driven it much, now after 8800 kms, i can truely vouch for what you are saying that it begs for more, i had taken it upto 160kph with 4 adults and trunk full of luggage in the recent Goa trip but beyond that its slightly dicey as the car starts to bounce on the smallest of road undulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Boruwa View Post
That's the reason Apache is still rocking ... The feel of the wind has its own charm ....

As I said before . You should have rammed that darn Dog.... Ny ways Welcome back to the road .... I wish toothless all well
Yeah, now i am left thinking if i should get a cheap bike somehow or a Dio. Anyways thanks for the welcome. Infact this times drive took 7hrs from Chennai with 6hrs of driving time I was driving at no more than 80kph, yes even on the express, just got my mind used to highway drive again after the incident, the consequence of driving at that speed, was the milage of 22.7kpl for 339kms (Even the Karizma was giving only 25kpl)

Last edited by motomaverick : 6th February 2012 at 14:13.
Old 6th February 2012, 14:27   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, now i am left thinking if i should get a cheap bike somehow or a Dio. Anyways thanks for the welcome. Infact this times drive took 7hrs from Chennai with 6hrs of driving time I was driving at no more than 80kph, yes even on the express, just got my mind used to highway drive again after the incident, the consequence of driving at that speed, was the milage of 22.7kpl for 339kms (Even the Karizma was giving only 25kpl)
Well, thoothless is back on road. Thats great.
From which company did you buy the insurance motomaveric? It paid only 84% of the total claim as its "less than six months old? Is this clause by this Insurance provider only or its the same for any other Insurance company? Pls let me know.

The mileage figures are really mouth watering. I only managed 17 to 18 kmpl on all my long drives as my right foot becomes very heavy seeing open and wide roads. I cruise at 120 and above when ever possible, though touched 145 only on two such drives. Didn't get such long empty stretchs on the routes I drove till now to go beyond 145kmph.

Keep Manza'ing!
Old 6th February 2012, 14:35   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Well, thoothless is back on road. Thats great.
From which company did you buy the insurance motomaveric? It paid only 84% of the total claim as its "less than six months old? Is this clause by this Insurance provider only or its the same for any other Insurance company? Pls let me know.

The mileage figures are really mouth watering. I only managed 17 to 18 kmpl on all my long drives as my right foot becomes very heavy seeing open and wide roads. I cruise at 120 and above when ever possible, though touched 145 only on two such drives. Didn't get such long empty stretchs on the routes I drove till now to go beyond 145kmph.

Keep Manza'ing!
The Insurance is from Royal Sundaram but i think what i meant about paying 84% was the total bill also included consumables for the a/c condenser, coolant, power steering oil and plus i had to pay 50% for the plastic parts such as headlights and bumper.

Here is the list of major parts changes

1. Front Bumper complete with cover FO
2. Headlamp Assy both RH & LH
3. Radiator
4. A/c Condenser (Fiat Part)
5. Radiator Frame component (Fiat part)
6. Hood Shell Assy
7. Fog lamp LH

@Mods please change the thread title to "Tata Manza:: A new Story Begins......Rebirth...8800kms complete"

Last edited by motomaverick : 6th February 2012 at 14:37.

Most Viewed