Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2012, 23:58   #166
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review

hi

not exactly ralated to the thread but i was looking for a Laura 2.0 tdi (MT) official review by team-bhp. couldnt find one..do we have it?
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:16   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
not exactly ralated to the thread but i was looking for a Laura 2.0 tdi (MT) official review by team-bhp. couldnt find one..do we have it?
Nope, we don't have an Official Review for that. Do search the Initial and Long Term sections, as other members might have posted their ownership reviews.

cya
R
Old 11th May 2013, 19:05   #168
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spent some time last night with the erstwhile Octavia vRS and, sorry to say, it completely & absolutely owns the Laura.

The steering of the Octavia is way, way superior to the Lauras (this factor is super important to me). It feels a lot more "raw", although still extremely stable, planted & European in nature. The Octavia just feels "tighter".

Equally matched in the engine area. The Laura might get the tech (direct-injection turbo), still the Octavia vRS is no pushover. The BHP difference is merely 10, and the Octy's power to weight is actually superior (because its lighter). Of course, the Laura has a 20% torque advantage. Either car has awesome after-market modification support, no difference there.

Looks wise, I much prefer the Octy to the Laura. The latter does look weird from some angles. The Laura vRS looks good overall, the Octavia is a timeless classic.

If I had to choose one to drive on my favourite road, my hands would always pick the Octavia vRS' keys.

Bottomline : The Laura vRS isn't in 2013 what the Octavia vRS was 10 years ago. Both remain the thinking driver's choice....the Octy was just more special.

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2013 at 19:07.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 20:13   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spent some time last night with the erstwhile Octavia vRS and, sorry to say, it completely & absolutely owns the Laura.

Bottomline : The Laura vRS isn't in 2013 what the Octavia vRS was 10 years ago. Both remain the thinking driver's choice....the Octy was just more special.
What about right now?
40-70K run Octavia vRS are available for under 4 lacs now. They are 8-9 years old, but still retain the European feel. But a nearly 10 year old Skoda!! Is it reliable enough? As reliable as the Laura at least?

Also, would the parts be easily available off the shelf now?

How does the owner(of the one that you drove) feel about his pride and joy? Any recent Skoda hiccups?

It makes for the best enthusiast budget car now, I guess.
Old 12th May 2013, 07:29   #170
BHPian

Quote:

Equally matched in the engine area. The Laura might get the tech (direct-injection turbo), still the Octavia vRS is no pushover. The BHP difference is merely 10, and the Octy's power to weight is actually superior (because its lighter). Of course, the Laura has a 20% torque advantage. Either car has awesome after-market modification support, no difference there.

If I had to choose one to drive on my favourite road, my hands would always pick the Octavia vRS' keys.
Both these machines are really different and unique in their own way. Drive these back to back and its hard to tell that one is an evolution from another. For some reason, I vaguely remember the kerb weight of Octavia to be higher than Laura and Laura had a better power to weight ratio. Let me try and get the details.

In general, somehow the cars of 10 years ago in the Indian scene has been superior to the ones available in these times. Again this is a relative theory, but the original Honda city vtech was so much better & let's not even talk about the zen. From an enthusiastic perspective, somehow we seem to have gone backwards in the Indian car scene.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 20:40   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Both these machines are really different and unique in their own way. Drive these back to back and its hard to tell that one is an evolution from another. For some reason, I vaguely remember the kerb weight of Octavia to be higher than Laura and Laura had a better power to weight ratio. Let me try and get the details.

In general, somehow the cars of 10 years ago in the Indian scene has been superior to the ones available in these times. Again this is a relative theory, but the original Honda city vtech was so much better & let's not even talk about the zen. From an enthusiastic perspective, somehow we seem to have gone backwards in the Indian car scene.
One of the main differences between the two cars is the ride height. The Octy VRS had the same ride height as the European models, whereas for the FL Laura the ride height has been increased to cope with our roads. The Octy also had a pure hydraulic steering whereas the Laura gets an electro mechanical unit, as Skoda calls it. But of the two, the Laura vRS is easier to live with, isn't it?. It does scrape anywhere, its got a better rear seat, is more sorted out and reliable and don't flame me for saying this, is more fuel efficient.

That's the thing about the way cars have evolved over time. The pure driving machines are getting diluted with companies trying to please a wider audience. Enthusiasts can go get their cars modded
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 12:34   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The steering of the Octavia is way, way superior to the Lauras (this factor is super important to me). It feels a lot more "raw", although still extremely stable, planted & European in nature. The Octavia just feels "tighter".

+1000 to that.
And Octy is a beautiful car. So when they tried to improve it when designing Octy II (Laura), they had to spoil it...there was no other way

But, 2 consolation points for the Laura:
1. Ride quality - generally better, especially at low to moderate speeds
2. Engine - Not sure if it's due to GDI and variable valve or just better turbo tuning, the lag is less. With vRS, I got into "no torque zone" some times in the ghats (when going uphill and blocked by trucks thereby loosing momentum). Happens much less in the Laura.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 00:54   #173
BHPian

Can anyone confirm if the Laura vRS comes in with the fancy AFS system? I know its mentioned in brochure (which I cant find anymore). I can see slight visibility increase in Xenon throw at higher speeds.

However, when I was driving my friends Superb, I found the fancy gimmicks (ok useful features) of the lights more visible. I could easily tell the projectors shifting beam more often in the superb than what I could on vRS.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 12:57   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can anyone confirm if the Laura vRS comes in with the fancy AFS system? I know its mentioned in brochure (which I cant find anymore). I can see slight visibility increase in Xenon throw at higher speeds.

However, when I was driving my friends Superb, I found the fancy gimmicks (ok useful features) of the lights more visible. I could easily tell the projectors shifting beam more often in the superb than what I could on vRS.
The Laura vRS has 'Xenon Adaptive Lighting'. I don't think its exactly the same (feature wise) as AFS:
At the front, the Xenon projectors have a cornering function; at lower speeds, it turns on the fog lights as you turn the steering wheel, but at higher speeds, the projector element itself moves. You’ll notice this when the car turns on, as the xenon self check not only does the customary up/down calibration – but also a left/right sweep. If you look at the TSI Ambition, you’d think it has Xenons too – but don’t be fooled, those are just halogen projectors!
cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 18:50   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I believe the Laura has AFS1 while the Superb has AFS2. That may have made a difference. When and how did you feel the projectors beam shifting more in the Superb, in what conditions?
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 21:02   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I believe the Laura has AFS1 while the Superb has AFS2. That may have made a difference. When and how did you feel the projectors beam shifting more in the Superb, in what conditions?
That makes sense, for example when I started accelerating hard I could see the xenon's shift their position to be more focused and throw the projection outwards. I also noticed the lights do something fancy when there was a lot of oncoming light (from opposite lane traffic)

Pretty cool actually.
azeemhafiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 18:52   #177
BHPian

Hey fellas!

Has the Laura been discontinued? I can't seem to find it on Skoda India's website.
Also found this news item while googling for the Laura : Skoda Laura discontinued in India.

It's from Dec 27th, 2013. Any ideas? Seems like the Laura has been discontinued.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 1st January 2014, 23:40   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hey fellas! Has the Laura been discontinued? I can't seem to find it on Skoda India's website. Also found this news item while googling for the Laura : Skoda Laura discontinued in India. It's from Dec 27th, 2013. Any ideas? Seems like the Laura has been discontinued. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, the Laura (or Octavia 2 as it's called abroad) has been replaced with the brand new Octavia.
Old 4th June 2017, 21:44   #179
BHPian

Can anyone help identify this headunit? I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out the settings. The rear cam says no device found, the gps says no map available and my phone's Bluetooth device is not able to pair with it. There's also a cord left unattached in the compartment in front of the gear stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review-img_1433.jpg  

Last edited by MonsterPatrol : 4th June 2017 at 21:45.
Old 4th June 2017, 23:47   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post
Can anyone help identify this headunit? I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out the settings. The rear cam says no device found, the gps says no map available and my phone's Bluetooth device is not able to pair with it. There's also a cord left unattached in the compartment in front of the gear stick.
This is not a stock headunit. Most likely a replacement unit offered by CASKA/Megaaudio. Try looking up more info on these
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks