Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 11:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura vRS : Test Drive & Review

So a lot of people seem to think that the vrs is nothing more than a laura ambition tsi with a body kit..I definitely disagree (especially after the silent deletion of features from the ambition trim)! And here's why:
1) 16 inch sports alloys
2) Better suspension
3) Sunroof
4) touch screen bolero system
5) Tyre pressure monitoring
6) Xenon lights
7) Autodimming mirrors
8) Side airbags
9) Rain sensors
10) Storage compartments with cooling
11) Remote closing door mirrors and Electrically foldable mirrors.
12) Much better looking 3 spoke steering wheel

So thats a whole lot of kit they are offering for an extra 2 lakhs. And i havent included the bodykit, the chrome exhaust tips etc.. SO definitely not a simple laura tsi with a body kit.
Now whether people will be willing to pay nearly 18 lakhs for a skoda branded petrol car is a whole other debatable issue.

Last edited by vinj14 : 29th November 2011 at 11:19.
vinj14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 14:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Question is more, are people willing to pay 18L for a C+ segment "Petrol" powered car (any make). I think the answer is no with current petrol prices. If Skoda had launched a Diesel vRS, i guess it would have found more takers - but with current pricing of its Diesel models it would have probably entered Superb territory.

Anyway vRS or for that matter any proper Sports saloon has a very limited market in India. Most "S" versions come with added stickering and nothing more - atleast Skoda gave us something extra.
Old 5th December 2011, 11:25   #63
Team-BHP Support

A bit of a technical question here – does the stiffer suspension (in the Laura vRS) translate into better tolerance against bad roads?
Old 5th December 2011, 11:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
So a lot of people seem to think that the vrs is nothing more than a laura ambition tsi with a body kit..I definitely disagree (especially after the silent deletion of features from the ambition trim)! And here's why:
1) 16 inch sports alloys
2) Better suspension
3) Sunroof
4) touch screen bolero system
5) Tyre pressure monitoring
6) Xenon lights
7) Autodimming mirrors
8) Side airbags
9) Rain sensors
10) Storage compartments with cooling
11) Remote closing door mirrors and Electrically foldable mirrors.
12) Much better looking 3 spoke steering wheel

So thats a whole lot of kit they are offering for an extra 2 lakhs. And i havent included the bodykit, the chrome exhaust tips etc.. SO definitely not a simple laura tsi with a body kit.
Now whether people will be willing to pay nearly 18 lakhs for a skoda branded petrol car is a whole other debatable issue.
Add to that the sporty seats with Alcantara Upholstery.

The question is that whether this car is the best drivers car this side of 20 lakhs or not?? The answer is yes and thus whether its a petrol car or a diesel car the decision will always be an emotional one. This car was never meant to keep practicality in mind. It doesn't intend to do so. The only features which i would have loved to see and some thing which skoda should have included are:
1. Lowered suspension for better sportiness.
2. Bump in the power
3. DSG
4. Automatic Climate Control
5. Controls on the steering wheel
6. Better looking alloys

If these features were there the vRS would have been an awesome car to have for 20 lakhs. Petrol prices be damned!

Last edited by ashish22 : 5th December 2011 at 11:45.
Old 5th December 2011, 12:39   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
So thats a whole lot of kit they are offering for an extra 2 lakhs.
At the time when the vRS was launched, there were ~1lakh discounts going on the TSI Ambiente, with nothing on the vRS. That further stretched the price difference to ~3L on-road in Mumbai. Thats too much of a difference.

Hopefully soon (or now), the discounts will extend to the vRS too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
A bit of a technical question here – does the stiffer suspension (in the Laura vRS) translate into better tolerance against bad roads?
Perhaps in very specific situations. Eg. at higher speeds, on smooth but wavy roads? But for most Indian roads, i'd imagine not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
If these features were there the vRS would have been an awesome car to have for 20 lakhs. Petrol prices be damned!
If all those features were also present in the vRS, it would have had a hard time making it into the 20L bracket -- and thats probably why they were left out.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 13:33   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My guess is VRS gets the same spring rate as pre facelift Laura. I will TD the VRS soon to check this.

Here is a quick comparison of stiffer Pre FL and softened Post FL-
Pre FL had stiff but more composed Ride. Post FL gained more cushioning but has more up & down movement on wavy roads. Overall i liked the Ride of Pre FL Laura, i don't mind the stiff low speed ride if the car has overall flatter ride. If the difference is only the Coil Springs, i am ready to get ones from RS/pre FL car.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 14:59   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
The only features which i would have loved to see and some thing which skoda should have included are:
1. Lowered suspension for better sportiness.
2. Bump in the power
3. DSG
4. Automatic Climate Control
5. Controls on the steering wheel
6. Better looking alloys
Extra power – probably yes, and maybe better alloys as well. But IMHO, rest of the items is not heavy omissions. It’s nice to have DSG as an option, but enthusiasts prefer a sweet MT right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Perhaps in very specific situations. Eg. at higher speeds, on smooth but wavy roads? But for most Indian roads, i'd imagine not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My guess is VRS gets the same spring rate as pre facelift Laura. I will TD the VRS soon to check this.

Here is a quick comparison of stiffer Pre FL and softened Post FL-
Pre FL had stiff but more composed Ride. Post FL gained more cushioning but has more up & down movement on wavy roads. Overall i liked the Ride of Pre FL Laura, i don't mind the stiff low speed ride if the car has overall flatter ride. If the difference is only the Coil Springs, i am ready to get ones from RS/pre FL car.
Thanks Rehaan & Anshuman. This is helpful. My question was on bad roads we encounter more often.
Old 5th December 2011, 16:30   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hopefully soon (or now), the discounts will extend to the vRS too.
There is a slight discount on the Vrs now. I'm thinking Vrs + Petes stage 1 remap.
Old 13th December 2011, 21:35   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
There is a slight discount on the Vrs now. I'm thinking Vrs + Petes stage 1 remap.

Akshay, Allow me to tempt you. Petes has the following for you.

Quote:
18-11-2011 -World's first Stage 2 and Stage
3 packages out for the 1.8TSI Skoda Laura.
Developing between 320-340bhp
and 380-400 bhp respectively.
source:
Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
Old 14th December 2011, 00:19   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
Akshay, Allow me to tempt you. Petes has the following for you.
That isn't going to happen It will be my dads everyday car. So we are deciding between the RS, Elegance and L&K Tdi. Should figure it all out finally by next week sometime.
Old 14th December 2011, 03:08   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That isn't going to happen It will be my dads everyday car. So we are deciding between the RS, Elegance and L&K Tdi. Should figure it all out finally by next week sometime.
Cool! Probably its not wrong to expect the first ownership review of the new vRS soon

Edit: Any discounts offered on the vRS?

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th December 2011 at 03:09. Reason: extra note added
Old 14th February 2012, 10:02   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Edit: Any discounts offered on the vRS?
Laura vRS is going at a discount in my city. Here the on road price of the vRs (including the 'skoda shield') is 17.91lkh. The local dealer is already offering 1lkh as discounts. As a matter of fact 1lkh on all the laura models from the base Active Tsi to the diesel ones. Stock clearance may perhaps be the reason. I believe even better discounts should be offered at Bangalore considering the road tax there.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 13:10   #73
BHPian

Re: Intro & Exteriors

Hey Guys, I just went through the complete thread and realised that none of you have talked about the headlamp washer's. They are clearly visible in this picture and are definitely worth a mention.

Overall, loved the review! Loved the photography! Now in love with the vRS! My neighbour recently got a quote for Rs 15,86,179 (on-road Dehradun) from the dealer, which makes it a brilliant buy for that price. The Ambition may be 2 lakhs cheaper than this, but with so much extra kit the vRS obviously is worth the extra bit.
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:34   #74
Team-BHP Support

Just took delivery of a White vRS today. Its a really fun car to drive with the smooth manual and the brilliant engine. And the LED drls make it look much more expensive that it is.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:40   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
Hey Guys, I just went through the complete thread and realised that none of you have talked about the headlamp washer's. They are clearly visible in this picture and are definitely worth a mention.
Any car with HID / Xenon headlamps is required (by law) to have washers, so the next time you see "Xenons" on the feature list, be sure it includes washers too.

The reason for this : dust, dirt, snow & muck collecting on the lens tends to scatter the light, and for powerful headlamps like xenons, this can be especially blinding for oncoming traffic. The washer allows the driver to clean off the dirt and off the lamps.

Quote:
Just took delivery of a White vRS today. Its a really fun car to drive with the smooth manual and the brilliant engine. And the LED drls make it look much more expensive that it is
Lucky guy!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks