Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 11:01   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur

Congrats on a lovely adventure! Looking forward to your travelogue with more pics.
Good to know that M&M could give you the support you needed in such a remote location. I guess with the more complicated (read: loaded with electronics) vehicles, local support isn't a given. Makes the availability of ASCs all the more important. This is where the M&Ms, Tatas, Marutis et al score over the Renaults and VWs of the world.
The XUV is a very tempting package, but somehow these invariable niggles really throw me off.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 13:06   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the update Debuda! This could not have been at a better time, i am planning to leave for the mountains next week and your inputs are really helpful. It's good to know XUV worked flawlessly all across the trip.

I always refrain from getting Engine bay washed in both my cars, i saw a poster in one Hyundai service center long back which suggested to never spray water in engine bay. By the time car reaches Leh(or even Sonamarg) the car gets really dirty, the washing job is much needed.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 19:56   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

The squeaky sounds from brakes are typically due to small stones coming between brake pads and discs. A much better way is to stop the car and reverse a bit to let the stone out.
sudev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 14:33   #169
BHPian

How did I miss this thread. Thank you very much for the detailed report Sir.
I saw ice and slush on some pics on your TL. Did the tyres hold good there. Did you in any case had to take help of ABS,ESP? Any tyre chains used ?
Was your vehicle parked in a covered car parking in the nights ? Did you ever encounter sub zero temperatures during the day in your trip ?
I believe the fuel quality varied in the pumps during your trip. Did that in any case have an impact on the ride ?
I'm interested in understanding this gel type of air filter more. Any further information on this would be of great help.
Uff ! That was quite a handful. Let me pause here before I continue with my barrage.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 14:44   #170
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
I saw ice and slush on some pics on your TL. Did the tyres hold good there. Did you in any case had to take help of ABS,ESP? Any tyre chains used ?
Was your vehicle parked in a covered car parking in the nights ? Did you ever encounter sub zero temperatures during the day in your trip ?
I believe the fuel quality varied in the pumps during your trip. Did that in any case have an impact on the ride ?
I'm interested in understanding this gel type of air filter more. Any further information on this would be of great help.
Uff ! That was quite a handful. Let me pause here before I continue with my barrage.
I know that the answer to most of your initial question is "No", but let Debuda confirm that. I don't believe, except a few wheel-spins, Debuda faced any serious issues.

I am specifically interested in the answer to the answer to the "Was your vehicle parked in a covered car parking in the nights?" question and also the "gel air filter" question. My RM had apparently got my air -filter cleaned after my Gujarat trip as I reported low FE. So air-filter can not be cleaned is news to me, or may be my RM was taking me for a ride.

Last edited by SDP : 13th June 2013 at 14:46.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 00:04   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
  1. Tyres worked wonderfully.
  2. ABS / EBD work automatically. W6 does not have ESP.
  3. No snow chains were required.
  4. Car always parked in the open. But no sub-zero temp encountered at night where car was parked.
  5. During day time encountered up to minus 6 deg C.
  6. Never perceived any symptoms of bad fuel.
  7. Maybe I'll open my air filter and see for myself what the hell is inside!
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 10:22   #172
BHPian

Visit to ASC after returning from Ladakh

As I reported earlier, my stone guard was damaged while crossing Zozi La and I had to saw off a part of it which was rubbing against the ground. After returning to Jamshedpur I visited the local M&M ASC and got the stone guard replaced. It cost Rs 1607. There were no charges for labour. Four securing bolts of the stone guard were found damaged / bent and they were also replaced (Rs 3 each).

One of my horns had stopped working towards the end of my Ladakh expedition because one of the electrical wires supplying power to it had snapped (this had happened once earlier). This was rectified by the ASC free of cost.

The broken stone guard.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-1.jpg

After removal of the broken stone guard I was relieved to see that there was no damage to the engine bottom. Also, the entire bottom of the XUV looked like new (after washing, of course!), without any damage or any visible scratches.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-2.jpg

The price of the plastic stone guard seems a bit on the higher side.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-3.jpg

The new stone guard in place.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-4.jpg

The broken horn wire.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-5.jpg
debuda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 06:42   #173
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The stone guard costs quite a lot for a simple piece of normal-grade plastic.

Debuda, one question. During my Gujarat trip, I noticed that a good amount of dust comes in over long drives (specifically noticeable on the dash) even when all windows are rolled up permamnently and the AC is in recirculation mode. I have a doubt about the design/functioning of the recirculation flap. What's your take after driving for 25 days?
Old 17th June 2013, 07:44   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The stone guard costs quite a lot for a simple piece of normal-grade plastic.

Debuda, one question. During my Gujarat trip, I noticed that a good amount of dust comes in over long drives (specifically noticeable on the dash) even when all windows are rolled up permamnently and the AC is in recirculation mode. I have a doubt about the design/functioning of the recirculation flap. What's your take after driving for 25 days?
My own experience is that the recirculation flap or damper works but may not be blocking outside air 100% and so a little amount of dust does seem to come in. I have not experienced outside irritants (like engine exhaust / smoke from other vehicles) coming in large enough quantity to bug me in recirc mode.

I rarely use the fresh air (non-recirc) mode.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 14:09   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
The price of the plastic stone guard seems a bit on the higher side.
Hi Debuda,
The stone guard is quite costly for a plastic one. I have been following your thread from the start and I hope when I retire, I would be able to travel like this. Would it be possible to replace the plastic stone guard with a metal one which would give more peace of mind on these journeys?
baludharmarajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 11:59   #176
BHPian

Quote:

As I reported earlier, my stone guard was damaged while crossing Zozi La and I had to saw off a part of it which was rubbing against the ground. After returning to Jamshedpur I visited the local M&M ASC and got the stone guard replaced.
You were thinking of getting a metal one fabricated, but dropped the idea. What made you change your mind?
Old 18th June 2013, 14:51   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baludharmarajan View Post
Would it be possible to replace the plastic stone guard with a metal one which would give more peace of mind on these journeys?
Many off-roaders get metallic engine bottom guards custom made and installed. It should be very much possible to replace the XUV's stone guard with a metallic one. The original plastic guard can be easily used as template to fabricate a steel sheet one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
You were thinking of getting a metal one fabricated, but dropped the idea. What made you change your mind?
Procrastination, taking the easy way out, keeping the XUV 'as designed' -- take your pick!
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 16:26   #178
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many off-roaders get metallic engine bottom guards custom made and installed. It should be very much possible to replace the XUV's stone guard with a metallic one. The original plastic guard can be easily used as template to fabricate a steel sheet one.
If one has to do it, what could be a good thickness for the sheet-metal?
Any views?

Quote:
Procrastination, taking the easy way out, keeping the XUV 'as designed' -- take your pick!
Good one there!
Old 18th June 2013, 22:50   #179
BHPian

ODO : 18,010 KM; First real niggle encountered

I had reported earlier that a peculiar niggle with the music system started about halfway through my recent Ladakh trip. With the music (any source) playing there would be a sudden loud low frequency sound from the speakers and the music would stop. The indications of music playing and volume level would continue to be seen on the display but no sound came from the speakers. After turning the ignition off and on, the music system returned to normal but after a few minutes it would go off again.

I did not miss my music system too much while driving in Ladakh and Kashmir because I usually switch off music during hill driving in order to concentrate 100% on driving. It has been my motto for decades – “ghat prarambh, music bandh” (“hill roads start, music stops”). But after descending to the plains the absence of music was sorely felt. So after returning to Jamshedpur I visited the local M&M ASC for rectification of the problem.

I was told that the ‘silver box’ (music system) needs to be replaced but they don’t keep spare silver boxes. The same are sourced from Nippon against specific cars which have a defect.

After 3-4 days I was informed by the RM that the new silver box had arrived and I should bring my car to the ASC. When I took my XUV to the ASC, they installed the new silver box. But I found 2 new serious problems thereafter :
  1. All information regarding HVAC system (AC on / off, ventilation mode, AC temperature setting, blower speed, etc.) vanished from the display.
  2. Both visual as well as audio indications of reverse parking system vanished, i.e., the reverse parking system became totally non-operational.

The technician at the ASC again opened the central console and checked all the electrical connectors. All connections were okay and the 2 problems persisted. I was told that now the problem needed to be attended to by a technician from Nippon. I requested them to send the Nippon guy to my residence to attend to my car and they agreed.

After 3 days the Nippon technician accompanied by technicians from the ASC and my RM visited my residence and changed the display, but it did not make any difference. They told me that they would change the silver box once again, and requested me to bring the car to ASC the next day.

Today, my silver box was changed for the second time and both the problems got rectified. When I asked the Nippon technician about the role of the silver box in HVAC indication and reverse parking system, he was unable to clarify.

As regards the original defect of the music stopping suddenly, I need to use the system for a few days before concluding that it has been rectified.

The central console (waterfall) needs to be opened to access the silver box.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-1.jpg

The silver box.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-2.jpg

Rear view of the central console.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-3.jpg

Front view of silver box. The CD slot can be seen.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-4.jpg

Top view of silver box. Note the large number of connectors. There are other connectors on other sides too.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-5.jpg

Rear view of silver box.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-6.jpg

Silver box is made by Visteon Automotive Systems, India.
Debuda’s Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur-xuv-7.jpg
debuda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 23:03   #180
BHPian

As I told earlier, mine was changed a month back, it has held up till now. Mine is a W6 like yours. Not sure if this is occurring in our variants alone. Exact same symptoms, also in my vehicle the CD used to jump tracks ever since the car was new (2011). But i did not bother to complain as i was using the USB and CD was seldom used. After the change even that issue was solved.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks