BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post

Nissan March (Micra) = THB 380,000 - THB 542,000
Honda Brio = THB 433,500 - 508,500
Toyota Yaris = THB 555,000 - THB 734,000
Mitsubishi Mirage = approx. THB 350,000 - THB 500,000
Suzuki Swift = Data unavailable.
Amaze cheaper than Micra - seems Honda has finally woken up & is getting ready to amaze India.

Btw, heard from a friend in Maruti that they have started brainstorming behind closed doors and also training their teams on Amaze already, well before launch as DZire pre-orders have started loosening up due the news and views on the Internet about Amaze. That's like a market leader, ready to preempt any threat, so I expect Maruti to remain strong inspite of the new Honda
Old 12th December 2012, 11:51   #242
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Quote:
Nissan March (Micra) = THB 380,000 - THB 542,000
Honda Brio = THB 433,500 - 508,500
Honda Amaze = THB 454,000 - THB 521,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
Amaze cheaper than Micra - seems Honda has finally woken up & is getting ready to amaze India.
I'm assuming you compared the price of top end model alone. Base model for Micra seems to be way cheaper than even Brio, let alone Amaze.

From the price band, it seems Micra has a much wider variant/feature list than Brio/Amaze- possibly a totally stripped down base variant and a fully loaded top variant that might be missing in the Honda portfolio.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:58   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm assuming you compared the price of top end model alone. Base model for Micra seems to be way cheaper than even Brio, let alone Amaze.

There is an advertisement in today's TOI and it says that the Micra is now available @ 3.99 lakhs. I'm assuming that's the base price of the petrol variant? When the Brio was launched, the base-variant was introduced at 3.95 lakhs. The ex-showroom price of the Brio E(MT) is 4 lakhs give or take a few thousands.
Old 12th December 2012, 13:13   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

There is an advertisement in today's TOI and it says that the Micra is now available @ 3.99 lakhs. I'm assuming that's the base price of the petrol variant? When the Brio was launched, the base-variant was introduced at 3.95 lakhs. The ex-showroom price of the Brio E(MT) is 4 lakhs give or take a few thousands.
The prices discussed above are for the Thailand versions and in THB as we don't have info regarding the Amaze pricing for India yet. As per the Thailand prices indicated already in this thread, base version of March(Micra) in Thailand seems to be at THB 380k while base Brio is at 433.5k

As I mentioned in my previous post, we definitely cannot conclude Micra is priced cheaper/costlier than Brio just based on the price alone unless the feature list of base/top variant is comparable.
Old 12th December 2012, 13:32   #245
Team-BHP Support

I fail to understand why the prices of cars in Thailand are being discussed here? I know, these cars are available here. But that doesn't mean anything. The market-strategies are completely different!

For example: The Jazz commands a premium in Thailand and the price-tag isn't far off from the City's but it still sells quite well.

I think it's best to wait it out and see what Honda has in store for us. We can expect them to price it competitively. But drawing parallels with respect to price-tags of cars from different markets simply does not make sense to me at all.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 14:23   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I fail to understand why the prices of cars in Thailand are being discussed here? I know, these cars are available here. But that doesn't mean anything. The market-strategies are completely different!

For example: The Jazz commands a premium in Thailand and the price-tag isn't far off from the City's but it still sells quite well.

I think it's best to wait it out and see what Honda has in store for us. We can expect them to price it competitively. But drawing parallels with respect to price-tags of cars from different markets simply does not make sense to me at all.
Completely agree. Seeing the discussion, that was my thought as well. Market dynamics are quite different, and it will be inaccurate comparison (even if you bring in competing brands). Now that they have decided to add in boot (which is highly market-specific), I assume the pricing will be competitive
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 17:29   #247
BHPian

I do not understand why we Indian's have a bias towards sedans. With the Amaze the Honda's have delivered what exactly we Indian's love - a sub-4 metre "SEDAN"; maybe with a dash of chrome.

Lets take a look at the best hatchback yet from honda stable - Jazz.

1. Boot space: Class-leading 300 odd lts. Yes, it is less than the 400 lts of amaze, but with the magic-seats it has much greater flexibility for days when you want to move your house.
2. Interiors: the most premium in class, the amaze has interiors based on Brio - a much compact car.
3. Looks: A head turner for sure when compared with Amaze.
4. Interior Space: class leading by a distance.
5. Price: True VFM after the price corrections in 2011.

All this great engineering undone by a 1.2l engine which lacks the punch.

Why can honda not plonk a 1.5 l earthdreams diesel engine in Jazz; a model which it has sold successfully the world over?

Because it is a hatchback and we would prefer a sub-4 metre SEDAN to a premium hatchback.

Last edited by anurag.somani : 12th December 2012 at 17:30.
anurag.somani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 19:42   #248
BHPian

#1 GTO had created a complete thread on Honda way forward. Customers wanted it, Honda is now planning to give it. Let's appreciate that.
#2 Why, as we go higher up in price ranges do cars become Saloon shaped, A6 hatch, a Rolls Royce hatch would be much better idea isn't it?
Optra SRV was another flop. That shape just doesn't command a price of 7 lac+ with Indians. Sedans seem luxurious and like a real upgrade since most costlier cars are saloon body type. In India, cars are still an asset to show off socio economic status on, not just basic need for commuting from A to B.

Consider the points above, you'll understand why Amaze makes better sense than a Jazz. However, I'd go for Jazz i-DTEC were it available, over the Amaze. But then not everybody is so rational. Let's hope Honda continues Jazz at a sensible price, and also plonks the i-DTEC in its next Avatar. Brio < Amaze < Jazz < MPV < City < CUV in that price order should become the new Honda lineup by 2014.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:03   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.somani View Post

All this great engineering undone by a 1.2l engine which lacks the punch.

Why can honda not plonk a 1.5 l earthdreams diesel engine in Jazz; a model which it has sold successfully the world over?

Because it is a hatchback and we would prefer a sub-4 metre SEDAN to a premium hatchback.

Very rightly said. I too am looking forward to an i-DTEC Jazz which will be superior to the Amaze in every other aspect. If only the people at Honda are ready to make some brave decisions. It will be really a shame if they phase out the jazz without trying the diesel option.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:34   #250
BHPian

First of all, congratz on the review. wanted to reply earlier but didnt get time. Too bad there wren't any interior pics. Really wanted to have a look at the rear legroom.

Brilliant car from Honda. The best thing IMO is that they did was not to chop off a cylinder. I mean 3-cyl engines are good, but they work extra hard, and with that comes the noise factor and low power.

But the front end looks a bit undone. The lower grill looks like it was slapped with glue on the bumper. The exposed radiator is another problem.

Anyways, a very good car from Honda. Much better looking than its primary competitors.
Now waiting desperately to td it.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:21   #251
BHPian

Wonderful review vid6639 . how is the interior like?
At a time when fuel prices are skyrocketing it is high time that Honda introduced some diesel sedan.i bet this would be a best seller if it kept it's prices competently with the other Sedan's which are selling like hot cakes in the market.
Old 14th December 2012, 14:35   #252
BHPian

Quote:

1. Boot space: Class-leading 300 odd lts. Yes, it is less than the 400 lts of amaze, but with the magic-seats it has much greater flexibility for days when you want to move your house.
The boot space of large hatchbacks is much more practical than those of mini sedans. You can put 2 international sized bags in standing position in the boot of Jazz but not in DZire and may not be in Amaze (i m predicting). Or for example if are carrying goods that need to be kept standing (like flower pots) then the hatch boot is more handy than sedan boot.

All this when you havent even folded the seats. Below is the link from my i20 review showing how 2 international sized bags are put in the boot:

Link
Old 14th December 2012, 15:55   #253
BHPian

Quote:
I do not understand why we Indian's have a bias towards sedans. With the Amaze the Honda's have delivered what exactly we Indian's love - a sub-4 metre "SEDAN"; maybe with a dash of chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
The boot space of large hatchbacks is much more practical than those of mini sedans. You can put 2 international sized bags in standing position in the boot of Jazz but not in DZire and may not be in Amaze (i m predicting). Or for example if are carrying goods that need to be kept standing (like flower pots) then the hatch boot is more handy than sedan boot.

All this when you havent even folded the seats. Below is the link from my i20 review showing how 2 international sized bags are put in the boot:

Link

A Sedan is preferred over a hatchback simply because the contents inside a boot are not visible and you cannot open the boot easily without the key. I would never leave my laptop in a hatchback , but in a sedan I can put it in the boot. This is an everyday scenario vs rare occasions of transporting goods for which I can get a commercial vehicle cheaply. Also, a sub 4m sedan works well for our parking constraints.
Old 14th December 2012, 18:30   #254

I would like to know "How easy would it be for a person as tall as six foot 2 inch to drive this sedan?". Could someone who has ridden this vehicle please provide this input (Sorry , I tried finding it in the first few posts but couldn't get the exact picture).

Crib - I waited for ETIOS only to realize that the driver seat is cramped (my current santro is so so airy). Sometimes, a small thing like this becomes a key point for certain people (not majority) in deciding to buy a vehicle that slated for sub-4m tax bucket...

Thank you !
Old 14th December 2012, 19:05   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yes-anonymous View Post
I would like to know "How easy would it be for a person as tall as six foot 2 inch to drive this sedan?". Could someone who has ridden this vehicle please provide this input (Sorry , I tried finding it in the first few posts but couldn't get the exact picture).

Crib - I waited for ETIOS only to realize that the driver seat is cramped (my current santro is so so airy). Sometimes, a small thing like this becomes a key point for certain people (not majority) in deciding to buy a vehicle that slated for sub-4m tax bucket...

Thank you !
This is very strange.

I'm 6'+ and I drive a Santro very regularly. I find it a pain because of the upright position and I have absolutely no support for my thighs. My knees are perpetually bent. But that's just the seating position. I find the Santro's visibility excellent. The glass-house is big and this gives you a sense of 'airiness'. You're probably getting confused between the two?

The Etios is a comfortable car for a 6-footer. The only problem I've found is that my knees foul with the steering-wheel's lever-adjust-thingy. But then again, that's only when you get in / out of the car.

The Amaze's driver-seat isn't much different from the Brio's, I'd presume? If that's the case, then it should be pretty comfortable. I've driven the Brio and the driving position is not bad at all.

Vid6639 should be able to answer your question accurately. He's driven the Amaze and he's a 6 footer too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks