Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 20:28   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
A Sedan is preferred over a hatchback simply because the contents inside a boot are not visible and you cannot open the boot easily without the key. I would never leave my laptop in a hatchback , but in a sedan I can put it in the boot. This is an everyday scenario vs rare occasions of transporting goods for which I can get a commercial vehicle cheaply. Also, a sub 4m sedan works well for our parking constraints.
Buying a rear parcel tray worth around 1k should help you save 50-100k (extra cost of a sedan over the hatch) if that is the only reason for buying a sedan over a hatch.

I don't see any additional security for the contents in the boot of a sedan that is not available in a hatchback with rear parcel tray. With the parcel tray in place, there is no visibility into the contents in the boot even in a hatchback.

Quote:
you cannot open the boot easily without the key.
Can you please elaborate how it is easier to open for a hatchback? As far as I know, the locking/unlocking mechanism for the tailgate of a hatch and boot of a sedan are similar.
Old 14th December 2012, 20:50   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Buying a rear parcel tray worth around 1k should help you save 50-100k (extra cost of a sedan over the hatch) if that is the only reason for buying a sedan over a hatch.

I don't see any additional security for the contents in the boot of a sedan that is not available in a hatchback with rear parcel tray. With the parcel tray in place, there is no visibility into the contents in the boot even in a hatchback.

Can you please elaborate how it is easier to open for a hatchback? As far as I know, the locking/unlocking mechanism for the tailgate of a hatch and boot of a sedan are similar.
The crude way of doing it would be to break the rear glass/rear door glass, flip the parcel tray and take whatever you can. It would take more effort to break open the boot of a sedan.
At least I haven't seen anyone leaving anything valuable in a hatch under a parcel tray.
Old 14th December 2012, 21:50   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The crude way of doing it would be to break the rear glass/rear door glass, flip the parcel tray and take whatever you can. It would take more effort to break open the boot of a sedan.
At least I haven't seen anyone leaving anything valuable in a hatch under a parcel tray.
Why demolish a wall to enter a building when you have an open door?

Most hatches and sedans have something called remote boot opener to open the boot from the driver's seat without the keys. If someone can break the rear glass of a hatch, he can as well break the driver door glass of the sedan. Then he has access to boot opener switch and can open the boot without having to actually break the boot lid.

Also, flipping the OEM parcel tray cannot be done easily in Swift unless the boot lid is open due to the interlocking mechanism between the parcel tray and inside of the boot lid. I assume most hatches would have something similar.

IMO, leaving valuables in an unattended car is a bad idea, irrespective of whether it is a hatch or a sedan.

Choosing an Amaze over Brio is definitely not going to guarantee your laptop's safety. As the saying goes, its safe only until proven otherwise.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 22:58   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Choosing an Amaze over Brio is definitely not going to guarantee your laptop's safety. As the saying goes, its safe only until proven otherwise.
Maybe it could?

This is especially in the case of the Brio. It has a glass hatch that extends to the bumper, and it's not hard to catch the contents of the boot without a parcel tray. In fact, even with the parcel tray, the top half of the tint at the bottom is not completely opaque either so you could take a peak.

And as we know, a peak is all it takes to drive some anti-social elements to break open the glass. Keeping a laptop in the boot of the Brio is not a good idea.

In fact, as you've said, keeping a laptop anywhere inside the car - cabin or boot / sedan or hatch - is not advised. But that's a whole other topic now. Let's stick to the one that this thread is about.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th December 2012 at 23:00.
Old 15th December 2012, 19:08   #260
BHPian

Quote:
A Sedan is preferred over a hatchback simply because the contents inside a boot are not visible and you cannot open the boot easily without the key. I would never leave my laptop in a hatchback , but in a sedan I can put it in the boot. This is an everyday scenario vs rare occasions of transporting goods for which I can get a commercial vehicle cheaply. Also, a sub 4m sedan works well for our parking constraints.
The leading reason why people in India prefer sedan over hatch is b'coz of a certain snob value perception attached to it. By owning a 3 box they tend to feel superiority feeling.
Old 16th December 2012, 05:49   #261
BHPian

I think let's restrict to Honda & Amaze discussion here, and start another thread on sedan vs hatchback shape. There are so many polarizing opinions, that this topic may hijack the thread.
However if Honda wants nos. to reap economies of scale, Brio, Jazz & City should all get diesel by 2013-14. Any hole in the product mix will be lost opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post

The boot space of large hatchbacks is much more practical than those of mini sedans. You can put 2 international sized bags in standing position in the boot of Jazz but not in DZire and may not be in Amaze (i m predicting). ......
All this when you havent even folded the seats. Below is the link from my i20 review showing how 2 international sized bags are put in the boot:

Link
those two bags will fit in Figo, Liva, Brio or a Wagon R with ease. Setting photos of Amaze boot, should easily fit in it, or even DZIRE. Layout of the boot & how the bags are oriented also matters, not just their size

Last edited by Eddy : 16th December 2012 at 10:40. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 16th December 2012, 13:29   #262
BHPian

There is nothing better to hear than a Honda diesel in a new entry level sedan of a BRIO which I love to the core. And more than that, it is going to be launched right at the time I am contemplating my first car. So lets hope it is what it seems to be, and I may well be Amaze'd. And congrats TBHP for the invite. Proud to be a part of the revered group!
Old 16th December 2012, 14:28   #263
BHPian

Saw this thing on a road test on the Jaipur - Delhi Hi/ghway a few days ago. Sounded like diesel. This review just confirms that it was.
Old 16th December 2012, 17:44   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post
Saw this thing on a road test on the Jaipur - Delhi Hi/ghway a few days ago. Sounded like diesel. This review just confirms that it was.
You caught Brio or Amaze? There were reports of Brio getting caught but not Amaze, so far I guess!
Old 20th December 2012, 12:25   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
... You see even the brio is priced high (in Rupees terms) in Thailand. The Amaze infact is just 5% more expensive than the Brio in Thailand. ...
However Amaze comes with a Petrol version in Thailand & that '5% more than Brio' price may be for that only. Here Diesel is always a premium & considering Honda, it would be a surprise if this one costs about the same as Jazz.

Couldn't digest the looks though. Makes the Dzire look cute (just my personal opinion).

But that doesn't mean it won't sell. Whether Honda makes a killing or kills this car depends ONLY on pricing!
Old 20th December 2012, 12:31   #266
BANNED

Teaser for the Amaze is up on the Honda India website at http://amaze.hondacarindia.com

They are asking for opinions on the car.

They also have a compilation of the expert reviews so far, including our very own Vidyut's review on T- bhp.com

Last edited by agambhandari : 20th December 2012 at 12:33.
Old 20th December 2012, 13:06   #267
BHPian

If the reviews on the website are anything to go by, the Amaze is the best thing to have happened to the automotive scene in a long time! Everyone's going gaga over its looks!

Couldn't help noticing that the 6 foot 8 inch Sandeep Srikanth from the Overdrive team towers over the Amaze making it look even more dwarfish and clumsy than it actually is. On the other hand, that he fits in so easily is a great testament to Honda's "man maximum, machine minimum" philosophy of car-making. The engineers at Honda seem to have managed to carve out oodles of space in the tight-looking cabin. Nice!

BTW I'm not seeing Vidyut's review on that page.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 20th December 2012 at 13:18.
Old 20th December 2012, 13:39   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Definitely a very good proposition.

I hope the ride quality is better than Brio's, the Brio test drive left we worrying about the ride quality.

The profile and rear look good to me. The front looks (to me) very similar to the Verna Facelift! Is it only me?

If this is coming in April, when is City (diesel) arriving in India?

The Youtube video has a text saying 400 while showing the boot (i guess the capacity is 400 litres as guessed by Vid6639)
I thought it was a neat looking car and a refreshing alternative to DZire. The front end reminded me of the UK Accent (first version).
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven-images.jpg  

Old 20th December 2012, 15:37   #269
BHPian

Amaze has appeared on the Honda India website. Will be available in both petrol and diesel.

URL:http://amaze.hondacarindia.com/

Vidyut sir's review is also available on the site in expert's opinion section.
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 08:30   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Amaze has appeared on the Honda India website. Will be available in both petrol and diesel.

URL:http://amaze.hondacarindia.com/

Vidyut sir's review is also available on the site in expert's opinion section.
Could you please guide me where is the TBHP review in that site? I tried searching for our review, however could not find it. The only reviews I could find are those of the TV channels which air one or the other Auto programme on their channel (refer the snap shot below). Is our review in some different section?

Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven-amaze-reviews.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks