Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 14:11   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Amalji,
The swift's services cost me around 20K for 25K KMs of usage per year. Ensure that engine oil is changed every 5000 Kms.
For the same period - 1 year, my Etios diesel had covered around 24,000 kms.
Total service cost - 8700 ( That too since, I opted for synthetic oil ).
Had I opted for mineral oil ( which is what Toyota recommends as stock replacement option ), it would have costed me less than 5,000 for the same period..

For Figo vs Swift replacement intervals, please check out this link

Last edited by amalji : 5th April 2013 at 14:18.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 14:18   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
For the same period - 1 year, my Etios diesel had covered around 24,000 kms.
Total service cost - 8700 ( That too since, I opted for synthetic oil ).
That's interesting, But I would be keen to know what all you would be replacing as a part of preventive maintenance. Believe we are digressing from the main topic of Honda Amaze and I shall PM you the stuff on list of items that get due replacement irrespective of whether its life cycle has been completed or not.
Old 5th April 2013, 14:20   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriram Rajann View Post
As usual , It has been a well researched HONDA Amaze review from GTO . It is as comprehensive a review ,as we are used to from him . But I personally opine that a moderator should not use words like .....Iam quoting from his review ......
The comments about driveability, FE and power are pretty factual. I dont seen any issue in comparing two engines on these and concluding which is better. These are very different from reliability, which is what can only be seen over time. AFAIK, the review makes no claims about which one is more reliable.
jaibir is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 14:35   #244
BHPian

Just wanted to add another angle here. Last year I was looking for an upgrade from my Santro and Brio fit the bill. We wanted a petrol car and Brio was sprightly; came with all safety features. The only reason I finally booked a Ritz was the boot. The family needed a decent boot and the one on Brio was a deal-breaker. The Amaze petrol (I must say, a bit sidelined with all the attention going to the iDtec) corrects this. If all you missed in a Brio was some cabin space and a boot, here's your answer!
Old 5th April 2013, 14:46   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's interesting, But I would be keen to know what all you would be replacing as a part of preventive maintenance. Believe we are digressing from the main topic of Honda Amaze and I shall PM you the stuff on list of items that get due replacement irrespective of whether its life cycle has been completed or not.
The life cycle is decided by the manufacturer based on how confident they are about their spares.

For instance,
Toyota says the coolant needs to be replaced only after 1.5 Lakhs kms.
Honda says, the same needs to be done only after 1 Lakh kms on the Amaze.
But, Maruti says replace every 20,000 kms.
Is it that Maruti is being more proactive than Toyota or Honda ? No it's not because Toyota/Honda have designed hassle free cars all around the world with similar replacement intervals. It's just that they are more confident about the spares/fluids that they use.

The Denso lifetime fuel filter on a Toyota Etios Diesel lasts around 1.5 Lakhs kms. The same is a tried and tested product used on the Innovas which run hassle free for lakhs of kms.

From my personal experience, even the durability of the regular parts ( which doesn't need periodical replacement ) is a question park. With my driving style, combined with the roads in the Kerala which break with every monsoon, I used to replace the lower arms and tie rod ends of my Esteem very frequently. Not to mention the steering rattle issue.
Not so with the Etios. Covered 30,000 kms. 0 replacements till now.

In Nippon Toyota Cochin, they have palm-lets mentioning why each of the Toyota spares lasts so long without affecting the vehicle performance.

We seem to be going off-topic and hence I'm stopping here.

The only point I'm trying to mention is that if someone says Maruti is cheap to maintain, I would say it used to be so once upon a time. But, not so any longer. There are several manufacturers now ( Toyota, Mahindra, Ford, and probably even Tata, Renault, Honda ) which are cheaper to maintain than a Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
Just wanted to add another angle here. Last year I was looking for an upgrade from my Santro and Brio fit the bill. We wanted a petrol car and Brio was sprightly; came with all safety features. The only reason I finally booked a Ritz was the boot. The family needed a decent boot and the one on Brio was a deal-breaker. The Amaze petrol (I must say, a bit sidelined with all the attention going to the iDtec) corrects this. If all you missed in a Brio was some cabin space and a boot, here's your answer!
+1. The Brio was always a deal breaker for me for the cabin space and boot space it offers. But, with the Amaze, Honda has got it spot on.

Last edited by amalji : 5th April 2013 at 14:54.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 16:33   #246

Fabulous review GTO!

Do we know if Honda's launching an AT version in diesel?
Old 5th April 2013, 16:45   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The only point I'm trying to mention is that if someone says Maruti is cheap to maintain, I would say it used to be so once upon a time. But, not so any longer. There are several manufacturers now ( Toyota, Mahindra, Ford, and probably even Tata, Renault, Honda ) which are cheaper to maintain than a Maruti.
+1 to that

Maruti's used to be cheaper to maintain compared to the Fiats and the Ambassadors of yesterday years. The true fact even then was that compared to the cars of that time, Maruti-s used to have less faults and hence less maintenance. I still remember the 10 years that my family owned the first generation Maruti 800 (The box type). In the 10 years, I remember my father changing the Ambassadors in the family every 2-3 years, but he simply retained the Maruti as it was simply marvellous. He drove it personally for over 125000 Kms.

But in today's world I do not think Maruti is any comparison to Honda. Consider the fact that Suzuki (Parent company of Maruti) had to wind up operations in US and Honda is still one of the most preferred brands in the country. May be Maruti makes cars that are suited to the demographics and needs of India/Indians. But their cars are no match for Honda when talking in terms as a pure automobile enthusiast.
shabash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 17:50   #248
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the in-depth review. Amaze is certainly going to give Dzire a run for its money. The premium badging and engine credentials (diesel) would most certainly swing a fair part of the Dzire crowd into Honda showrooms. It is a breath of fresh air coming from the fact that we see hundreds of Dzires around us. Now it remains to be seen if Honda has put in due diligence to get the customer service upto the desired levels. This is going to get some serious volumes and goof ups from Honda on the customer service / care part could lead to serious backlash.
ukamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 17:54   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns1976 View Post
Do we know if Honda's launching an AT version in diesel?
No they are not, as per the Sales person that I talked to when I booked the Amaze.
Old 5th April 2013, 18:03   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
No they are not, as per the Sales person that I talked to when I booked the Amaze.
Thank you... Seem to be getting a lot of mixed information around this. Cant wait for the lauch to happen to see all models that Honda offers. An AT for the anticipated market pricing for a deisel engine should kill the competition.
Old 5th April 2013, 20:32   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The air-conditioner did a fantastic job of keeping the cabin cool on a sunny Goan day.
How about the rear? The center AC vents are positioned weirdly, one bang in the center and the other towards the front passenger. I guess not a lot of air makes it through to the rear. Maybe Brio owners can comment, as it's the same design.
Old 5th April 2013, 21:43   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amalji,
Ensure that engine oil is changed every 5000 Kms. That ways I would be able to make a note of the cost differences and believe over a period of time would be able to make a statement with data backed up.
Just wondering why you change engine oil every 5000 kms ? Its way to early for any car !!

A mineral oil can easily last 8 to 9000 kms if not full 10000kms. I have been using swift for over 6 years now and change oil only once in 8 to 9000 kms. and i can say it can run another 6 years without any issues.

20K expense for 25000 kms ? Either you have been very generous with your money or the service center is taking you for a ride.

Swift and Dzire isnt selling 40K per month just like that. I have spent around 3-4K average per service in last 6 years and my car has run 60K kms now.
Old 5th April 2013, 22:18   #253
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I think we all (including me) have been guilty of digressing from the topic. Let us talk about amaze here and discuss Maruti's service costs at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...heap-myth.html

Last edited by vibbs : 5th April 2013 at 22:19.
Old 6th April 2013, 00:06   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post

How about the rear? The center AC vents are positioned weirdly, one bang in the center and the other towards the front passenger. I guess not a lot of air makes it through to the rear. Maybe Brio owners can comment, as it's the same design.
It's a small car, the ac vents can easily cool the back seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Friends, I think we all (including me) have been guilty of digressing from the topic. Let us talk about amaze here and discuss Maruti's service costs at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...heap-myth.html

+1 comparing the two is good, it getting depth would be off topic
Old 6th April 2013, 08:56   #255
BHPian

may be I am comparing apple and orange.

Amaze engine (diesel) 1500cc, power 99 BHP @ 3600 rpm, torque 200 @ 1750 rpm, weight 950
Renault Duster (85ps) 1461cc, power 85 BHP @ 3750 rpm, torque 200 @ 1900 rpm, weight 1758
Renault Duster(110ps) 1461cc, power 110 BHP @ 3900 rpm, torque 248 @ 2250 rpm, weight 1781

I found amaze engine much better than duster's. Since i have not test drive amaze, i can not comapre the performance.

I may gain "SUV feel" while driving duster, but may get better power from amaze.
ambadan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks