Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2017, 00:49   #2761
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Just took delivery of a TDI Style Plus in Candy White. While all seems great! I can't get the memory seats to be working. I press SET followed by the 1/2/3 keys and even hear a beep. But when I press the 1/2/3 memory keys - the seat resets to a position different from what I had set.

Seems to be a strange bug, maybe it needs some sort of reset and/or VAG-Com coding.

Could someone please save a position with the seat tilted at its lowest on the rear end and the at it's highest on the front end [both of these using the horizontal seat adjustment switch] and try to save the same, I am unable to save this position. Just want to confirm it's not a particular position being blocked by Skoda for safety/airbag zoning reason.

Thanks!
madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 07:37   #2762

The dial on my Octavia steering wheel cracked and has jammed. The AC duct lever too has broken.
Is this a common problem? Are spares easily available and can these be replaced easily?
It seems like the plastic quality can't take the heat since I am a fairly careful user.
Jaygojer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 08:33   #2763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygojer View Post
The dial on my Octavia steering wheel cracked and has jammed. The AC duct lever too has broken.
Is this a common problem? Are spares easily available and can these be replaced easily?
It seems like the plastic quality can't take the heat since I am a fairly careful user.
It's one of the most common problems faced on the MQB Octavia. If you are within warranty, go to the service centre and get them replaced. The jog dial on the steering wheel and the A/C vents both are prone to breakage.

There is also a separate thread on this issue.

Regards,
Vishy
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 17:39   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Just took delivery of a TDI Style Plus in Candy White. While all seems great! I can't get the memory seats to be working. I press SET followed by the 1/2/3 keys and even hear a beep.
UPDATE: called up the CRM and told her how disappointed I am to have gotten a car with a bug, she quickly sent someone over to check the same - he checked for physical fault with the seat controller switch and found none and then set an appointment for a ODIS scan. Went to the service centre and within 15 minutes a service advisor ran a scan and did a memory reset - which fixed the issue. Probably the PDI person forgot to do the same in the year ending rush of deliveries on 31st March. Overall within 3 days with 2 calls the issue was fixed, so far so good. Upto the standards I'm used to with the German brands in my garage.

Here is a picture of the car, more first impressions later on:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-image-10.jpg

Also an interesting photo I took at the time of the delivery. These volumes by Grand Auto Capital Skoda in March. Are they good/bad/ugly? Given that this is one of the 6 dealers in Delhi NCR (too many for a company which isn't perceived to be doing well?!).

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_3221.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th April 2017 at 18:20. Reason: Rotating image as requested.
madnish30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 17:56   #2765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Just got back from Hyderabad to Bangalore, noticed the luggage was very hot only the side of the exhaust. Didn't notice this while I drove to Hyderabad. Any idea? Has anyone else experienced this? The car has done only 1800kms!!
Escalated the matter to Skoda, they promptly had somebody pick up the car and came back stating nothing is wrong with the car.

The pressure in the rear left tyre also went up to 42 psi during this episode of the boot getting hot. Hence suspected the brake or hand brake also could have caused issue.

But got the car back today without any conclusion.
Old 7th April 2017, 23:10   #2766

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
It's one of the most common problems faced on the MQB Octavia. If you are within warranty, go to the service centre and get them replaced. The jog dial on the steering wheel and the A/C vents both are prone to breakage.

There is also a separate thread on this issue.

Regards,
Vishy
Thanks Vishy!
I took it to TAFE and they agreed to replace the jog dial under warranty. They are trying to get the AC vents replaced too. Will know if a few days.
Old 7th April 2017, 23:15   #2767
BHPian

I hear that the dealers across all over are replacing the battery voluntarily, what's that for?? I got mine told today!
Old 8th April 2017, 00:08   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay89 View Post
I hear that the dealers across all over are replacing the battery voluntarily, what's that for?? I got mine told today!
Due to failure. Older batteries that are manufactured outside of India are being changed to Exide Made in India. Apparently there is even an Exide that is made outside of India and that too will need to be changed. Most MY17 cars and a few MY16 I believe comes with the new one pre fitted.
Old 8th April 2017, 01:20   #2769
Senior - BHPian

GAC Skoda, owns another Skoda dealership in either Chattisgarh or Jharkhand, I can't remember exactly which. During my interaction with them last year I was informed that based on their performance in the smaller city they were given the opportunity to open one here in Dilli. They I think are the cream of the crop, currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Also an interesting photo I took at the time of the delivery. These volumes by Grand Auto Capital Skoda in March. Are they good/bad/ugly? Given that this is one of the 6 dealers in Delhi NCR (too many for a company which isn't perceived to be doing well?!).

The Exide outside India is the real deal. They used to own the brand in India too but sold out to their erstwhile partners & current owners a few decades back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
Apparently there is even an Exide that is made outside of India and that too will need to be changed.
Old 9th April 2017, 16:54   #2770
BHPian

Hello Everyone!
We have a 5 year old VW Vento TDI that we use with the chauffeur everyday. Its a good car but everyone in the family thinks its time to get a new daily driver. Initially, my father said that he wanted to buy a Ciaz because it is a very 'practical' car. I couldn't agree more. But when we actually went and saw the car, it did not feel special and none of us were excited about it. So, we decided to look at the D-Segment. My father 'is' or perhaps 'was' a very big fan of the Corolla but when he saw it in the showroom, it just didn't seem worth the price. I saw this as an opportunity to finally get that Octavia I always wanted and dragged him to the Skoda dealership
Instantly all of us fell in love with the car. Believe it or not, the fact that it felt so good was a problem - 'How on earth would we bring ourselves to let the driver drive this everyday?'. We already have an Ecosport for my brother and me & a C-Class which we mainly use as a party car (32,000 km in 8 years ). So this had to be the beater.
Now what we are thinking is that this car (Ambition Plus MT) could serve a dual purpose - A nice replacement to the Vento & A car we could also use ourselves and take out to the highway which is currently done only in the old Merc.
I have a few questions, the answers to which will help A LOT-
1. Is this a good chauffeur driven car or is it mainly for the self driven type or is the mixed use fine?
2. Should we go for the DSG? (not considering it now as its mainly chauffeur driven)
3. Whats the Fuel Economy in the city?
4. Is it worth waiting for the facelift?

Also, budget is an important factor for us considering that we are coming from a Ciaz. Hence the MT variant. Don't care much for the sunroof as we already have that in the C.
I know my post is long and confusing but any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 19:51   #2771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Hello Everyone!
We have a 5 year old VW Vento TDI that we use with the chauffeur everyday. Its a good car.....
I know my post is long and confusing but any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Let me put you out of your misery and give the answers.

- The Octavia is a versatile car when it comes to both the rear seat and the front. It's perfect for being driven around and driving in.

- If you want a beater car i.e High running, go for the manual transmission. The 6 speed DSG in the diesel is pretty reliable, but still, clutch pack replacements are upwards of 50K and a chauffeur driven car won't justify the premium IMHO

- Waiting or not waiting for the facelift is a subjective matter. Some people like the facelift and some despise it. Financially, there are good discounts going on for the existing models; if I were you I would book the pre-facelift variants.

-Expect the TDI to do 10-12 Kmpl in the city

All the best with the car buying and do keep us updated.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 22:31   #2772
BHPian

Viraaj Skoda Pune experience

Wanted to share my test drive experience at Viraaj Skoda Baner.

My friend is in the market for a new car. Towards that goal we reached the Baner showroom at pre-determined time 11.30 am.

We are greeted with an empty and hot showroom. No person in sight. After locating the SA, we demand first for a test drive, now comes the shocker - No test drive car.

We blasted the SA for wasting our time, he apologizing frequently.

We did a walk-around and sat in the manual TSI version with 6 airbags displayed. I personally didn't​ get the wow factor I was expecting from such an expensive car.

We walked out after collecting brochure and price list for Octavia.

Mods searched specifically for thread related to this dealer but didn't find one. If already present in this dealership section, please merge.

Regards

Nikhil
Old 9th April 2017, 23:28   #2773
BHPian

Quote:
Let me put you out of your misery and give the answers.
- If you want a beater car i.e High running, go for the manual transmission. The 6 speed DSG in the diesel is pretty reliable, but still, clutch pack replacements are upwards of 50K and a chauffeur driven car won't justify the premium IMHO
Yes, that is exactly the reason I am planning to get the MT. As you said, I do not care much for the facelift and if I do get a good offer on the current car, will definitely take it. Speaking of offers, we are now planning to finalise between two cars - the Octavia (Preference) and the Jetta - whichever gets us the best deal

Any advice on bargaining for discounts on these cars?
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 18:21   #2774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post

Any advice on bargaining for discounts on these cars?
The Jetta should in theory fetch more discounts for you is what my opinion is. We were able to get 1.7 Lakhs off in November 2014 on our Jetta when the 2015 facelift was due and I see no reason why you shouldn't get the same for the octy.

But the Jetta could be a better deal since it is being discontinued. There are huge discounts on it.

The trick is to be patient and bargain hard. Both are D1 segment sedans which move really slow. You will get discounts but you have to wait.

The dealer is as anxious as you.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 19:45   #2775
BHPian

Quote:
But the Jetta could be a better deal since it is being discontinued. There are huge discounts on it.

The trick is to be patient and bargain hard. Both are D1 segment sedans which move really slow. You will get discounts but you have to wait.
Thanks. Going to start talking to the dealers from tomorrow. Lets see what happens. Will keep you posted

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2017 at 12:17. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks