Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 18:20   #3031
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgpal View Post
Hi there,
My 2014 Octavia is currently at 42k on the odo. One of my tyres has been repeatedly leaking over the years.Last week it sprung 3 leaks in the same area. Had it repaired and went for trip to Pune the next day. After reaching Pune, the tyre again was indicating a leak. Inflated to 40 psi and drove back. My garage guy says its better to replace the tyre.

As I am approaching 50K, I'd like to ask what would fellow BHPians recommend is a good replacement for the original Goodyears? I am told Pirelli P7s are great. Your experience and advice would be highly helpful.
Thanks.
I recently replaced my sets at 55K. I was running with Michelin Primacy 3ST. For me finally it boiled down to Michelin Primacy 3ST vs Continental MC5. P3ST were great and didn't have any complaints. But I choose MC5 based on feedback from fellow team-bhp members and my cousin. Also I wanted to try something other than Michelin this time. Post the change it has run about 1000 kms now. Seems to have a good grip and handling. I feel that MC5 is bit more comfy ride than P3ST. But road noise seems to be higher compared to P3ST. But will wait and watch on my next highway drive. You won't go wrong in choosing either of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Just today morning while changing the direction of the driver side slider it just came off into my hand. The clip at the back looks pretty fragile and thin and i feel the heat here makes the plastic brittle over time because i definitely didn't exert any pressure as such especially since iv been reading about broken sliders in the forum. My car has just gotten over its extended warranty ten days back too so any way the claim if i could have managed is anyway impossible now. My slider though did hold on for far longer than quite a few people with newer machines on the forum. The car is now 4 years old with 72.5k kms on the clock.
You are lucky here that it lasted for 4 years. Mine went kaput on both driver side and passenger side in about 1.5 years. Clearly poor build quality here. Do they actually replace this in warranty/extended warranty?

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th March 2018 at 10:17. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 28th March 2018, 11:57   #3032
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
But I choose MC5 based on feedback from fellow team-bhp members and my cousin. Also I wanted to try something other than Michelin this time. Post the change it has run about 1000 kms now. Seems to have a good grip and handling. I feel that MC5 is bit more comfy ride than P3ST. But road noise seems to be higher compared to P3ST. But will wait and watch on my next highway drive. You won't go wrong in choosing either of this.
Yes, I have been running on MC5 on my TSI Laura and periodically posting my opinion on the forum - very good tyres MC5's. And slightly cheaper than Michelin.
Old 29th March 2018, 09:35   #3033
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Also the DRL conked off on RHS side couple of months back. My car is now in extended warranty (4 months into extended warranty). Waiting to see if they approve it under warranty. Earlier while in warranty period LHS side conked off and they replaced it. Seems like as per service advisor this DRL issue is prevalent in many cases.
SA told me that DRL not coming in extended warranty . Skoda should really improve on the design and quality of their headlight units. Bad part design because you need to replace the entire headlight unit. Bad quality because both DRL's going in a span of couple of years is really pathetic. Given the cost of the part, Skoda should really consider having a good quality product which can last many nears and not just couple of years. Otherwise they should honour it under extended warranty. Have written to a contact in Skoda. Let us see if I get any positive response.

SA is not giving me clear update on the water pump replacement as well. It is already in workshop for 2 days. Escalated it and keeping fingers crossed.

As luck would have it, this SA is new guy so he is trying to figure out things himself.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2018 at 11:01. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 29th March 2018, 10:27   #3034
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
SA told me that DRL not coming in extended warranty . Skoda should really improve on the design and quality of their headlight units. Bad part design because you need to replace the entire headlight unit. Bad quality because both DRL's going in a span of couple of years is really pathetic.
the "bad design" is for economic reasons - sell spares at ridiculously high prices. Not covering this under warranty is equally pathetic - its not like there is any physical damage or interference in electrical system from outside. How does this qualify as wear-n-tear part ?
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:07   #3035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
the "bad design" is for economic reasons - sell spares at ridiculously high prices. Not covering this under warranty is equally pathetic - its not like there is any physical damage or interference in electrical system from outside. How does this qualify as wear-n-tear part ?
Just booked (delivery this week) the 1.8 TSI and bought with a service package that covers all parts including wear and tear for 4 years. Hope this covers all “issue areas”. SA told me that between the 4-year manufacturer warranty and this package, everything bar accidents and driver-error issues will be covered. Including labour as well...
imidnightmare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 15:10   #3036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imidnightmare View Post
Just booked (delivery this week) the 1.8 TSI and bought with a service package that covers all parts including wear and tear for 4 years. Hope this covers all “issue areas”. SA told me that between the 4-year manufacturer warranty and this package, everything bar accidents and driver-error issues will be covered. Including labour as well...
Congrats imidnightmare on your new Vehicle. When is the delivery happening? Yes, the four year package is a good offering from Skoda and boosts confidence of taking the plunge. All service related items are covered. Wear and tear items due to usage are not included.

I just completed the first service under this package and had to pay Rs 68 for the washer fluid which the service centre insisted on using. Otherwise nothing to worry. Hope not to experience any warranty related process
Old 15th April 2018, 01:43   #3037
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I asked if it has spilled over any timing kit. But service advisor said that it has not affected any of that. Not sure if there is any way to verify this.

They are saying it will take about 3 days to fix the issue. :-(

Also the DRL conked off on RHS side couple of months back. My car is now in extended warranty (4 months into extended warranty). Waiting to see if they approve it under warranty. Earlier while in warranty period LHS side conked off and they replaced it. Seems like as per service advisor this DRL issue is prevalent in many cases.
My BMW X3 Ring DRL lost colour / brightness and was going dead at 110,000 kms in 5th yr of 6 yr extended warranty. They replaced full headlight under warranty. Same with the other headlight when some control unit failed in the same 5th year.

Skoda has to cover DRL under warranty.

Last edited by ACM : 15th April 2018 at 01:45.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 00:21   #3038
BHPian

Quote:
I asked if it has spilled over any timing kit. But service advisor said that it has not affected any of that. Not sure if there is any way to verify this.
1.8TSI uses a timing chain arrangement (sealed and with engine oil lubrication) and it does not drive the water pump.
Water pump is located on the other end of the engine, taking drive off the respective end of the balancer shaft.
So a leak in the water pump doesn't affect the timing system or the engine's lubricating system. Even if the water pump seizes up, the timing system is unaffected (just an auxiliary belt will snap), which is not the case if such failures happen with the 1.6/2.0TDI engine.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 13:50   #3039
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
My BMW X3 Ring DRL lost colour / brightness and was going dead at 110,000 kms in 5th yr of 6 yr extended warranty. They replaced full headlight under warranty. Same with the other headlight when some control unit failed in the same 5th year.

Skoda has to cover DRL under warranty.
Yeah wish Skoda was also handling the same way. But unfortunately they don't. After some escalations they covered only 70% of the part cost. Skoda lost one of its customers for any future purchases.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 14:26   #3040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah wish Skoda was also handling the same way. But unfortunately they don't. After some escalations they covered only 70% of the part cost. Skoda lost one of its customers for any future purchases.
You might want to know the price difference between BMW warranty and Skoda warranty. I am not supporting what Skoda did but it's unfair to compare both without taking the cost of warranty into account.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 14:40   #3041
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You might want to know the price difference between BMW warranty and Skoda warranty. I am not supporting what Skoda did but it's unfair to compare both without taking the cost of warranty into account.
Yeah I agree the warranty cost might be different. But also I would presume the part cost will also vary accordingly. I am sure cost of head light in bmw unit will be much more compared to what skoda's unit will be. So it is relative in my opinion.
Old 17th April 2018, 23:48   #3042
BHPian

My car just came from from its 75k Kms service on the 14th of this month. Luckily had a summer service camp running wherein parts had a 15% discount and labor had a 10% discount. Came out to be nearly the cheapest service as yet at just 10.8k. the engine is now super smooth and a little more silent than before there was a gruffiness I felt since the last few thousand kilometres. I guess 10k Kms should be the optimum service interval in our conditions.
The only point of contention I had was with the over enthusiastic service advisor who I showed the broken air vent clip to..he promptly took it and before I could stop him used m-seal and stuck it at the vent without bothering about the rear part that was fallen inside and thanks to his stupidity I have a showpiece of a regulator attached in my vent with no functionality!!
Old 4th May 2018, 17:07   #3043

My 2014 2.0 TDI has run 30k Kms. Today when I started the car I got the coolant level warning and when I checked the coolant tank it was almost empty. About a month ago I happened to notice it was just above the minimum line. There were no visible leaks on the floor even when I left the car ruuning in the same spot for more than 5 minutes (after topping up with distilled water).

I was worried that it may be the water pump failure that several others have reported on this thread, and with my extended warranty ending next month, I wanted to make sure it is checked properly.

I topped up the tank with distilled water (even though the SA said on the phone that I can use any bottled water) and took it to the service center. The SA said it could be due to the summer heat. I explained the info I had seen on this forum and asked them to check it thoroughly. They did not find any visible leaks or leak marks even when they kept the car running for more than 30 minutes and inspected under the car. They said that if there was a problem with the water pump they would have seen a visible leak.

They returned the car to me without even opening a job card and assured me that there is no issue.

Any advice to me other than regularly monitoring it for the next month? Is there any way to diagnose if there is a problem with the water pump other than inspecting for leaks or tell tale signs of leaks?
Old 4th May 2018, 17:53   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post
My 2014 2.0 TDI has run 30k Kms. Today when I started the car I got the coolant level warning and when I checked the coolant tank it was almost empty. About a month ago I happened to notice it was just above the minimum line. There were no visible leaks on the floor even when I left the car ruuning in the same spot for more than 5 minutes (after topping up with distilled water).

I was worried that it may be the water pump failure that several others have reported on this thread, and with my extended warranty ending next month, I wanted to make sure it is checked properly.

I topped up the tank with distilled water (even though the SA said on the phone that I can use any bottled water) and took it to the service center. The SA said it could be due to the summer heat. I explained the info I had seen on this forum and asked them to check it thoroughly. They did not find any visible leaks or leak marks even when they kept the car running for more than 30 minutes and inspected under the car. They said that if there was a problem with the water pump they would have seen a visible leak.

They returned the car to me without even opening a job card and assured me that there is no issue.

Any advice to me other than regularly monitoring it for the next month? Is there any way to diagnose if there is a problem with the water pump other than inspecting for leaks or tell tale signs of leaks?
Hopefully coolant is not leaking into the engine. Old cars used to have this issue but I guess these new ones are less prone to such situations. Monitor the level everyday and avoid long trips for now.

You should have opened a job card. This way even if your warranty expires, you would have had a documentation that you had highlighted this issue earlier. Also even within warranty, they shouldn't come back with consequential damage incase god forbid something happens.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 01:54   #3045
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post

Most likely water pump failure. In my case as well there was no visible leakage. But upon service inspection it turned out to be water pump failure. If your place has another service centre get it checked there as well. Also if possible buy the coolant from the service centre and keep it as spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hopefully coolant is not leaking into the engine. Old cars used to have this issue but I guess these new ones are less prone to such situations. Monitor the level everyday and avoid long trips for now.

You should have opened a job card. This way even if your warranty expires, you would have had a documentation that you had highlighted this issue earlier. Also even within warranty, they shouldn't come back with consequential damage incase god forbid something happens.
Yes this is a must given that the warranty is expiring shortly.

Most Viewed