Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 11:18   #4261
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
I didn't get any system generated pdf. It is just in the billing invoice. I have written to them over email on Saturday. I am awaiting their response. My SA is out of town and couldn't reach him as well.
Ok, stay on it. Even though both are cars are out-of-warranty, there is no harm in building up the documentation.

Will be crucial as and when you sell the car, so that you can soothe the already nervous buyer () that the non-genuine part TAFE was were referring to is the battery!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:04   #4262
BHPian

Took delivery of 'Panther' on 26th Jan, thanks to fellow BHPians here for guidance throughout the process!

The process took couple of uneasy turns in between - original delivery planned on 23rd, took leave from Office, PDI and my cashdown amount paid 2 days prior, had pre-approved car loan with all docs but was waiting for bank to transfer the loan amount which was supposed to take 1 hour. Went to showroom and waited with the car for 2 hours and came back because bank guys had some technical issues .

26th Jan - it was a public holiday but they kept it open for my delivery and couple of others. When we reached, we had to enter through back door as the main showroom door had to be kept closed. 10 mins prior to delivery, they opened it and police came immediately and demanded a fine of few lakhs from the showroom guys! I took the car while they were still arguing with Police!!

Since then I am enjoying the car immensely (except for the drive to office in bumper to bumper traffic). I do have some doubts on correct DSG driving which I will post separately, so would appreciate any help on this shortly.

Some pics below :
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-descend_edited.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-pose.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-road.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-home.jpg  

Kray is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:21   #4263
BHPian

Received the extended warranty certificate from Skoda. The car is now covered till October 2022 and 150,000 km. Currently the odometer is at 66,000 in 3 years and 4 months.

Once again, a bit pricey at Rs. 82,000 but well worth the peace of mind.
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:31   #4264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
Took delivery of 'Panther' on 26th Jan, thanks to fellow BHPians here for guidance throughout the process!
Colour looks pretty fabulous. A good wax every few months and the car will keep shining like new. Congrats.

By the way and on a side note, just curious why the cops would create a ruckus for opening the showroom on a holiday! What business is it of theirs and why would they demand lakhs for something as small as this
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 12:28   #4265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
By the way and on a side note, just curious why the cops would create a ruckus for opening the showroom on a holiday! What business is it of theirs and why would they demand lakhs for something as small as this

So there are 4 mandatory holidays as per the labour law in India - 26th Jan, 1st May, 15th Aug and 2nd Oct. In case any establishment has to be kept open on these days (such as malls, call centers, etc), prior written permission needs to be taken from the relevant authorities. This is peak time that the authorities do spot checks to make a quick buck.
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 12:41   #4266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post

So there are 4 mandatory holidays as per the labour law in India - 26th Jan, 1st May, 15th Aug and 2nd Oct. In case any establishment has to be kept open on these days (such as malls, call centers, etc), prior written permission needs to be taken from the relevant authorities. This is peak time that the authorities do spot checks to make a quick buck.
Yes I am aware of the requirements under the labour legislations - but lakhs? Quick buck indeed.
Old 28th January 2020, 13:08   #4267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
105K service update:
Got my 105K service done this week. I had to do this service 1500 kms ahead of scheduled interval because I encountered following issues:
1. Noticed engine oil leak at the bottom. On checking engine oil level didn't notice any major drop but still didn't want to take any chance here.
Thats a pretty reasonable expense, I must say. At 105K service My "reliable" Honda Civic has been diagnosed with Power steering oil leakage from the oil pump & Rack for which the price quoted for replacement is 1.5 lacs by Honda workshop. For the moment I have decided to live with it and just need to top the Power steering oil once every 2-3 months......but I may eventually have to get it repaired (not going to get it replaced) if it becomes too bothersome.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd February 2020 at 08:22. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 28th January 2020, 13:53   #4268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Received the extended warranty certificate from Skoda. The car is now covered till October 2022 and 150,000 km. Currently the odometer is at 66,000 in 3 years and 4 months.

Once again, a bit pricey at Rs. 82,000 but well worth the peace of mind.
Good decision and thanks for sharing this information. So it was better to buy at the time of purchase where the price to be paid was 55K !
Old 28th January 2020, 13:56   #4269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Good decision and thanks for sharing this information. So it was better to buy at the time of purchase where the price to be paid was 55K !
For people buying new, yes. When i got the car in 2016 this was not an option. Nonetheless, when the time came, getting this was a no brainer.

Quote:
Why is Varta a useless battery ? Too short a life ? Will buying an aftermarket replacement battery affect the car warranty & EW ?
Yup, too short a life. Mine lasted a year and a few months. Changed to Amaron. No problems with warranty or extended warranty. I have had the AC compressor and a few other components changed under warranty. The documents from the dealership do state that i have an external battery and hood struts but it has never been an issue.

Last edited by RohanDheman : 28th January 2020 at 14:05. Reason: Adding second post here
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 13:59   #4270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Sud,

One comical incident is that they formally notified me via PDF/email that I have non-standard equipment in my car. When I queried (first time the attachment was missing), they responded that the aftermarket Exide battery and my glued-on paddle shifters were identified as so/. Can appreciate them doing CYA about the battery (exact same DIN60 as the original worthless Varta) but glued-on paddle shifters? Seriously? I will insist that they also note all my glued-on enhancements like the fake exhaust vents, chrome trim on the AC switch, dashboard side air vents etc.
Why is Varta a useless battery ? Too short a life ? Will buying an aftermarket replacement battery affect the car warranty & EW ?

Last edited by Timothy : 28th January 2020 at 14:06.
Old 28th January 2020, 18:18   #4271
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
For people buying new, yes. When i got the car in 2016 this was not an option. Nonetheless, when the time came, getting this was a no brainer.
I have got the extended warranty purchased now. Paid 67 k including GST. Now active till April'23

Current new vehicle rates are lower, but then it is about time value of money. When the amount is paid and for how long it will get activated (basically interest on the amount paid) determines the cost calculations. After the experience of AC compressor change under normal warranty and seeing the cost mentioned in the job card, got convinced to go for extended warranty.

Last edited by ajmat : 28th January 2020 at 19:28.
Old 29th January 2020, 07:17   #4272
BHPian

Hello friends,
It's my first post in this thread, so I don't know how many of you, know me here.
But it's coming at right time, I would say..

Because it's just 'day 3' of my Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K ownership, a gem of a car, pre-worshiped by an equally gem of a person- Derek, our fellow BHPian, now from Chennai.

I came across the details of this Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K for an asking price of 17.5 L enlisted by Derek on T-Bhp Classifieds.
It's a 2+ yrs old, self driven car with the ODO reading of just 9.5k kms.
Simply Unbelievable & more tempting, one can say!

I then thought for a day before deciding to take the chance. My first Call to him was on the 20th Jan, showing my interest in purchasing the car.

We then had some initial discussions about the details & history of the car and then the topic ultimately switched over to the list of documents required for RTO compliance, mode of transaction etc.

In fact, there hardly was any history of the car except his purchase on 25th Nov 2017, then moving to Chennai from Mumbai & now looking for a 'deserving' person as a new owner for his truly well-worshiped car.

On 22nd, he declared that he would be foreclosing the left-over Vehicle loan before actually entering into the deal & that happened on the very next day, i.e. on 23rd.

Now when we are through the deal, I think, that was the moment that instantaneously triggered me to take a plunge in the right direction.

So, it was on 23rd afternoon when I came to know about FC of the Auto loan, in fact by the time, I already had started flooding my savings account.

Both of us being novice for such kind of vehicle transfer privately, I called on to Nitin, an FNG owner from Sangli who looks after all my vehicles since 2004, with a hope just for getting his 'expert opinion'. However after hearing about the car and the other details, he immediately agreed to extend his help and further declared that he would be happily accompanying me during that 'unplanned' journey down to Chennai.

Then once decided, we both left for the destination without spending any more time on 23rd Jan itself from Kolhapur. With a bit desperate but fully focused minds, we somehow managed to reach Derek's place by 24th Jan evening at around 7.30 pm.

Though TeamBHP won't recommend any Vehicle Inspection after sunset, still we did the inspection at 8.30 pm and also had a short Test Drive.

Needless to say, we both were so much impressed with the car that we instantaneously decided to take the discussion to next level without thinking twice.

But unfortunately, as the saying goes, 'man proposes and god disposes', no any transaction could take place that time and we had to schedule the deal for the next day, i.e. 25th Jan, which was full of even more surprises.

25th Jan being banking holiday, I had to make multiple transactions which were further delayed due to the daily limits and what not.

Finally, I could be able to transfer all the stipulated amount and thus sealed the deal successfully by 7.30 pm.

And then after having received all the necessary Documents, RTO forms, Delivery Note, keys by 8.30 in the night we left Chennai for a 1.1k kms drive to Sangli.

Now the road ahead was lit so perfectly that we 'literally' enjoyed the drive throughout the night
Thanks to the 'QuadraLED' headlights !

And finally, we reached home safely on 26th Jan afternoon.

Thus it took less than a week for us to accomplish the entire process of this deal and getting the 'Beautiful Beast' Home!

I must thank Derek for keeping the car in an absolutely Mint condition as it looks almost NEW even after 2+ yrs of his ownership.

Not surprisingly, it's become 'talk of the town' in no time and has further created confusion regarding it's pre-owned status, among all my friends/ people gathering around the car.
In fact, they are straightway blaming me for hiding the fact that it's a new one & still I'm deliberately telling them that it's 2+ yrs, pre-owned..
Nobody is believing me !

All Credit goes to Nitin for his solid idea as he asked me to remove the number plates (just for a week).

Today when I retrospect the entire episode, I really feel very sorry for my decision to ask the banker his advice as whatever he told me so much 'confidently', didn't work in actual. Moreover it messed up things irreparably for us and we couldn't accomplish the transaction in a day as per expected and further had to extend our stay in Chennai.

That's all about the 'L&K Saga'!
Thanks guys for reading this a bit lengthy post..

Now some pics to add Cherry on the cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20200120wa0068.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20200126wa0153__01.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20200120wa0071.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20200120wa0056.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20200120wa0066.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20200120wa0062.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200125_195328__01.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 29th January 2020 at 07:31. Reason: Correction
Dr.Vikas is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:47   #4273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hello friends, It's my first post in this thread, so I don't know how many of you, know me here. But it's coming at right time, I would say.........
Because it's just 'day 3' of my Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K ownership, a gem of a car, pre-worshiped by an equally gem of a person- Derek, our fellow BHPian, now from Chennai.
Many Congratulations Dr!!

Can't say how much I envy you right now!

I remember our discussions from the time you were eyeing the Hexa and now you have definitely selected the only car that can better it in this price range. What makes me envy you more is that our shortlist was between the Hexa and Octavia and we had to skip on the Octavia because of unknown road conditions on longer trips and we have to go a bit semi off road at our native place.

Looks damn sexy in that blue shade. Derek seems to have loved it to the fullest and taken good care of it.

Enjoy the ride! And wish you many happy miles with the beast!
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:56   #4274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,
It's my first post in this thread, so I don't know how many of you, know me here.
Many congratulations sir. The car looks stunning and extremely well maintained, just like a pre worshipped car should be. Enjoy the TSI power and clocking the miles on your new acquisition. Great choice.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 10:37   #4275
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends,
Many congratulations and it indeed looks NEW ! Not to mention the absolutely Fair deal you got there from fellow BHPian. Thanks for sharing pics
Kray is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed