Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2021, 23:40   #5011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Guys need some quick advice. My FIL's 2019 Octavia (L&K) had a sidewall damage while he was on the highway. Luckily the air pressure error popped up and they stopped the car on time. Nevertheless, he is now not able to find the stock Good Year in any of the shops in Kolkata. I don't remember the stock size but I think its 205/XX/16?

If its not the same stock Good Year then he will probably change all the 4 tires. These tires have run 25Km in the last 2.75 years.

Any suggestions for a good set? I don't think he is looking for anything super sporty.
Old 24th November 2021, 01:20   #5012
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys need some quick advice. My FIL's 2019 Octavia (L&K) had a sidewall damage while he was on the highway. Luckily the air pressure error popped up and they stopped the car on time. Nevertheless, he is now not able to find the stock Good Year in any of the shops in Kolkata. I don't remember the stock size but I think its 205/XX/16?

If its not the same stock Good Year then he will probably change all the 4 tires. These tires have run 25Km in the last 2.75 years.

Any suggestions for a good set? I don't think he is looking for anything super sporty.
Hi - I'm not sure which Goodyear model are you looking for but try this, will be in this or some of them will be similar with a changed name!
https://www.amazon.in/s?k=goodyear+2..._ts-doa-p_3_13
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 06:30   #5013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't remember the stock size but I think its 205/XX/16?
Pancham, best to ditch the 25K km run Goodyears. They were rubbish to begin with and must be hard & noisy by now.

Approach a Michelin Premium dealer for 205/55/16 in either the Primacy 4ST (all-rounder) or the Pilot Sport 4 (sporty). Alternatively, Continental UC6 or MRF Perfinza are also good.

Your FiL will feel he has a new car if you do any of the above .
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 07:05   #5014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Hi - I'm not sure which Goodyear model are you looking for but try this, will be in this or some of them will be similar with a changed name!
https://www.amazon.in/s?k=goodyear+2..._ts-doa-p_3_13
Thanks SLK. I think these are the ones. But I doubt his company will buy it from Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Pancham, best to ditch the 25K km run Goodyears. They were rubbish to begin with and must be hard & noisy by now.

Approach a Michelin Premium dealer for 205/55/16 in either the Primacy 4ST (all-rounder) or the Pilot Sport 4 (sporty). Alternatively, Continental UC6 or MRF Perfinza are also good.

Thanks Itwasntme. I have suggested him all the above with Primacy 4ST as rank 1.

Let’s see if it’s available with the dealers.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 12:17   #5015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

So Michelin is not available anywhere due to the import issues. However, the tire shop is suggesting Yokohama. I have used Yokohama in my i20 but I am not sure if it will be any good for the Octavia spec.

So, how are the Conti's? Are they close to the Primacy?
Old 24th November 2021, 13:43   #5016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, how are the Conti's? Are they close to the Primacy?
Which Yokohama's are they?
Like all brands, Yoko has it's mass market tyres and the premium range.

The Conti UC6 has been getting some good reviews and is comparable to the P4ST. I would strongly consider it if there is no timeline for Michelin deliveries.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 23:06   #5017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Which Yokohama's are they?
Like all brands, Yoko has it's mass market tyres and the premium range.

The Conti UC6 has been getting some good reviews and is comparable to the P4ST. I would strongly consider it if there is no timeline for Michelin deliveries.
Thanks a lot Lamborghini. I think he is going to pick up a set of 4 Continentals. Thank you all for your quick suggestions.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 12:14   #5018
BHPian

After suggestions and warnings from everyone here, I have decided to go with 225/45-R17s. I don't intend to keep changing the alloys every once in a while and I will probably live with the update until it gives away. I have (almost) narrowed it down to fairly a common design. The Oz Leggera HLT.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot-20211126-12.08.13.png

I am a bit scared about this because the spokes seem too thin. Any idea about its strength and durability? I think it won't be as strong as the stock alloys, but is there any way to give a ballpark strength figure? Like, it will be at least 80% as strong as the stock one?

Next is the hunt for a good set of tyres. My requirement is that it should be a jack of all. Should not be too stiff a ride; should not be too noisy; should last decently well (maybe around 40k km?); and should provide good grip and handling.
The options are:
  1. Michelin Pilot Sport 4: Ruling this out because I hear that this is a sporty one that will not last very much longer than 20k km to 25k km.
  2. Michelin Primacy 4: I've been told that this could last 40k km to 45k km. I hope this is true.
  3. ContiCS5
  4. MRF Perfinzas
  5. Yokahama

When I used the Vento TDI 1.6, I kept buying the same ones that my brother had on it when he used it. I never thought much about tyres. Now that I have the Octavia, I am thinking ahead of time before I invest, and I need help from experienced folks here. So please be kind enough to tell me that "Dude, you are screwed", and then continue to tell me why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
My 1.8 TSI L&K is 2 years and 22k km old. The stock 205/55R16 tyres are expected to last for another 2k to 5k km. When the next set of tyres go on, I am planning to upsize the rims to improve the looks.

The stock 225/40R18 on RS245 look dangerously low-profile to me. Even though I have not driven it, I fathom that it will give a stiffer ride and also could easily damage the rim if we hit a pothole.

I think that the perfect balance between comfort and looks would be 17" rims with 205/50R17 on them. I used this calculator to make sure that the size is okay. That said, I have a few questions for the experienced folks here:

About the upsize
  1. What are the pros and cons if I do this (205/55R16 to 205/50R17)?
  2. Is there any other size suggestions?

About the brands
  1. What are the good brands for rims that I should consider?
  2. What are the best tyre options? Michelins are hard, if not impossible to get. My local dealer suggested Yokahama. I've been hearing good things about MRFs too.
Attachment 2217159
anaghp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 15:59   #5019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am a bit scared about this because the spokes seem too thin. Any idea about its strength and durability? I think it won't be as strong as the stock alloys, but is there any way to give a ballpark strength figure? Like, it will be at least 80% as strong as the stock one?
This will be one among the best upgrades that you will be doing. I upsized to 225/45/17 earlier this year with Conti SC5 and only thing I feel bad is why did I wait this long. And I am from Bangalore too. The ride will be a bit stiffer (mine is more with Bilstein B6) but the high speed stability and cornering are amazing. And it totally enhanced the looks.

OZ alloys are one among the best in the world in terms of quality. They are all quality certified. Infact they will be stronger than your stock alloys. Leggera HLT is their classic range too. Do you mind sharing the cost for same, you can DM me too.
Also what is the offset and width of rims? 8J would be perfect for 225 section.

On tyres, I would suggest going for PS4. The only reason for me to choose CSC5 was due to non availability of PS4, though I am very happy with Conti's

Please do post pictures of your upgrade

Last edited by sunikkat : 26th November 2021 at 16:00.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 01:36   #5020
BHPian

Hello fellow BHPians, can any of the owners kindly provide me with a ballpark figure for how much it will cost to run a 1.8 Octavia (50k Km, 2015, well maintained) for about 4k km/ year? I am looking into how much this car costs to maintain and if it's feasible for me as a college student. Thanks in advance!
Old 28th November 2021, 12:58   #5021
BHPian

Thanks for that! I ended up buying it because I couldn't wait any longer. .

However, I got the 7.5J as it was in stock and I had to wait for 6 to 8 weeks for the 8J. Plus the dealer told me that 7.5J will be body level while 8J will be slightly outside. Would the half-inch make a lot of difference in the looks or anything else for that matter?

I'm planning to go with the Conti. Will post the pics probably the next week when I put them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
This will be one among the best upgrades that you will be doing. I upsized to 225/45/17 earlier this year with Conti SC5 and only thing I feel bad is why did I wait this long. And I am from Bangalore too. The ride will be a bit stiffer (mine is more with Bilstein B6) but the high speed stability and cornering are amazing. And it totally enhanced the looks.

OZ alloys are one among the best in the world in terms of quality. They are all quality certified. Infact they will be stronger than your stock alloys. Leggera HLT is their classic range too. Do you mind sharing the cost for same, you can DM me too.
Also what is the offset and width of rims? 8J would be perfect for 225 section.

On tyres, I would suggest going for PS4. The only reason for me to choose CSC5 was due to non availability of PS4, though I am very happy with Conti's

Please do post pictures of your upgrade
Old 28th November 2021, 18:21   #5022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However, I got the 7.5J as it was in stock and I had to wait for 6 to 8 weeks for the 8J. Plus the dealer told me that 7.5J will be body level while 8J will be slightly outside. Would the half-inch make a lot of difference in the looks or anything else for that matter?
7.5 will go well with 225. It will be light weight too and will enhance the performance. 8J will give a better looks.
Ensure you check on hubrings too as don’t think OZ has direct fit to Octavia. Also I changed the lug bolts to OZ, a more longer one
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 21:57   #5023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
kindly provide me with a ballpark figure for how much it will cost to run a 1.8 Octavia (50k Km, 2015, well maintained) for about 4k km/ year?
Servicing cost is somewhere between 14-15k per year or 15k kms whichever is earlier. Beyond that you can account for change of brake pads every 40-45k kms based on driving style.
Rest based on your luck you may or may not encounter issues with ill famed DSG, ABS sensors, battery which will cost a substantial amount in case of failure.
the pony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 12:04   #5024
BHPian

I could not connect my phone via bluetooth to the car this morning. System says "Telephone not available" when I tried to select the bluetooth option in the setup menu. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20211205_112914.jpg
Old 5th December 2021, 13:27   #5025
BHPian

Quote:
After suggestions and warnings from everyone here, I have decided to go with 225/45-R17s. I don't intend to keep changing the alloys every once in a while and I will probably live with the update until it gives away.
Just adding one more warning from my side.
I have had 4 tyre damages so far since October 2020 on the R16 stock alloy wheels.

One Michelin and one Continental tyre burst like a balloon in a pothole on a national highway (two separate incidents). One Michelin tyre had a sidewall puncture. Used it for some days and replaced it. And earlier I had mentioned on this forum that even a Goodyear tyre had a bulge. I doubt R17 will do any good to the tyre life on India roads. I am pretty confident that if I had those R17 and went for long road trips I'd come back with flat tyres and damages wheels.

I am seriously turned off and have put my car up for sale. Simply need an SUV designed for Indian roads. I have so far spent more than 50000 Rs on tyre replacements in one year (putting all Michelin's was a choice. I could have avoided the extra tyre purchase).

Mods please remove below line if it feels like an ad:
My Pune registered 2019 Style AT 1.8TSI is up for sale (this time actively). I am done with the local usage I had and now the car is free for transfer. 60000Km on the odo. Happy to give it to someone on team bhp if you are interested.

Quote:
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4: Ruling this out because I hear that this is a sporty one that will not last very much longer than 20k km to 25k km.
I have am using Pilot Sport 4 since last 36000Km and there is a lot of life and grip still left.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed