Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 07:54   #5056
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Yes they’re the bluearth GT tyres AE51. Been using them since about 10k kms, already had two punctures and a sidewall tear. Tyre was replaced on pro rata basis. Not as good as the michelins, but no other option right now.
Adi, would you recommend moving to 225/50/16 in Blue Earth or sticking to stock 205/55/16 in Michelin PS4 or P4ST?

My Octavia is now reborn as a chauffeur-driven car, and hence ride quality plays a bigger role than earlier when it was my primary vehicle.
Old 20th January 2022, 09:45   #5057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My Octavia is now reborn as a chauffeur-driven car, and hence ride quality plays a bigger role than earlier when it was my primary vehicle.
If ride quality is the key, then stock size P4ST is a better choice.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 10:17   #5058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Normally, I'd agree eyes closed.

Only issue is that my 3 year old 28K km run P3ST has become noisy with an irritating humming noise at high speeds. Just wondering if I should give any other variant or brand a try?
Old 20th January 2022, 11:30   #5059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only issue is that my 3 year old 28K km run P3ST has become noisy with an irritating humming noise at high speeds. Just wondering if I should give any other variant or brand a try?
May be the issue is not with tyres, but with something like the wheel bearings / hubs, improper balancing / alignment, etc. In my experience, Michelin Pilot Sport 3ST, tyres started losing grip around 35K kms. Where as Primacy 4ST on the Crysta are superb! At 50K kms, I still have some tread left and no noise or vibration issues. Globally they have launched Primacy 5 as well, don't know when this will come to India. But for now your best option is the P4ST if you want to maintain stock size. As such I dont recommend upsizing to 225/50/16 on stock rims. Its not stable. Yokohamas are good for grip, noise levels, comfort. But I'd pick P4ST stocks over those. Since I had the wider BBS rims, I opted for Yokos 225/50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Completely agree. Ride quality as well as longevity as his is now a chauffeur driven ride, needs hard wearing tyres.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 00:00   #5060
BHPian

Quote:
1. Get your engine bay professionally cleaned with something like a 3M engine treatment. They generally leave a chemical glossy residue which will automatically deter rodents

3. Buy tobacco leaves and keep them on the engine cover.
Let us know how it goes!
Thanks everybody for the tips.

Finally followed the easiest way of the 'Desi Jugaad' to counter-attack the unwelcome entry of the intruder/s.

1. First thing first, today I got the engine bay cleaned by removing all the dust using high pressure blower. Still I'm not much convinced about going for a thorough 'wash'. Perhaps will get it done from a professional detailer some day.

2. As per the suggestions here and also by an FNG owner, bought some tobacco from a nearby Paan-Shop, prepared 4 small pouches out of it, after making perforations in to all punches, got those covered in small netted bags and tied in the engine bay at conspicuous places.
(Refer to the pic attached.)

3. Finally after parking the car at the regular place, spread some Follidol powder near the tyres and also around the car.

Hope, this 'Double' layer security system works effectively and efficiently.
Will update the result/s later.

Cheers !

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20220120_221754.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 1st February 2022 at 05:14. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 01:22   #5061

Hi everyone. Kindly help me out here. I've come across a used (2nd owner) 2017 Octavia 2.0 TDI facelift Style Plus variant. The car has done 75k kms so far and is under extended warranty till August 2023. I've checked out the car. It's neat and drives really well. Haven't noticed any major issues during the drive.
Loved the car. My only apprehension is whether the car has any underlying mechanical issues that might creep up soon since its already done 76k kms in 4 years.
The asking price is 17L. I'm yet to meet the owner in person and check out the service records and other papers. What price would sound like a good deal if all the records are clean?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st February 2022 at 05:15. Reason: Spacing, typos.
Old 1st February 2022, 07:23   #5062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgeorgeroy View Post
Hi everyone. Kindly help me out here. I've come across a used (2nd owner) 2017 Octavia 2.0 TDI facelift Style Plus variant. The car has done 75k kms so far and is under extended warranty till August 2023. I've checked out the car. It's neat and drives really well. Haven't noticed any major issues during the drive.
Loved the car. My only apprehension is whether the car has any underlying mechanical issues that might creep up soon since its already done 76k kms in 4 years.
The asking price is 17L. I'm yet to meet the owner in person and check out the service records and other papers. What price would sound like a good deal if all the records are clean?
Cannot tell you the exact price but 17L is a LOT. A LOT. For your reference, in Kolkata, there is a 2019 Style listed for 16L (by a premium dealer) that has run some 19k km and is a first owner car.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 14:37   #5063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Cannot tell you the exact price but 17L is a LOT. A LOT. For your reference, in Kolkata, there is a 2019 Style listed for 16L (by a premium dealer) that has run some 19k km and is a first owner car.
Woah that's a really good deal. This car seems way too overpriced in comparison. However Road taxes in Kerala are really high compared to other states and that also shows in the used car prices down here. I'm yet to negotiate with the owner though. I will definitely bring this up with him, to pull off a good deal. But i don't want to offend him with an unreasonably low price.
Old 1st February 2022, 17:04   #5064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Is that Diesel or Petrol? If Diesel, its a really good deal as most examples in Bangalore for 2019 Diesel are 20 lakhs +

Last edited by sunikkat : 1st February 2022 at 17:13.
Old 1st February 2022, 17:51   #5065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Is that Diesel or Petrol? If Diesel, its a really good deal as most examples in Bangalore for 2019 Diesel are 20 lakhs +
It’s diesel. I was quite surprised too. The car has been booked so they have removed the price or else I would have pasted the link here.

P.S: my bad, it’s listed for 16.99L in Car Wale.

Last edited by Pancham : 1st February 2022 at 17:54.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 20:46   #5066
BHPian

My car is showing a "Check Third brake light" prompt on the MID. However, the HMSL is in proper working order. My dad followed me for a 30 minute drive just now and he did not notice any issue with the brake light, is there any way I can clear the code? It's very annoying to have the yellow warning light stay on all the time.
Old 8th February 2022, 21:33   #5067
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
My car is showing a "Check Third brake light" prompt on the MID. However, the HMSL is in proper working order. My dad followed me for a 30 minute drive just now and he did not notice any issue with the brake light, is there any way I can clear the code? It's very annoying to have the yellow warning light stay on all the time.
That’s strange. You’re sure he checked the light behind the windshield?

The bulb-out warning usually comes if there’s low or nil resistance in the circuit (meaning a fused bulb, cut wiring harness, halogen bulb swapped with an LED etc).
Old 9th February 2022, 11:15   #5068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That’s strange. You’re sure he checked the light behind the windshield?

The bulb-out warning usually comes if there’s low or nil resistance in the circuit (meaning a fused bulb, cut wiring harness, halogen bulb swapped with an LED etc).
Yes Sir, it's in proper condition. No problems whatsoever. Guess I'll call my SA. Is there any reputed garage who can handle gremlins on cars like these in Bombay or Navi Mumbai? I'm sick and tired of slow and negligent Skoda ASS.
Old 9th February 2022, 11:53   #5069
BHPian

Oil Cooler failure, oil leaking into coolant.

Everytime the service is due, looks like its a nightmare for me. I am getting my 7th year service done and the PPS service executive calls me and says, oil is all over coolant path which is caused due to oil cooler failure, if not rectified will seize the engine. And the costing is shocking for that. I am incurring roughly around 50K - 60k every year since the warranty. Is this how the Skoda quality is built?

Any one faced this issue, just in Oct 2020, I had replaced the thermostat which costed me 35k on just the part. Now this is very disappointing. If parts keep failing for every 5k Km like this then its kind of bad automotive to own.
abacusv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 17:34   #5070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Oil Cooler failure, oil leaking into coolant.

Everytime the service is due, looks like its a nightmare for me. I am getting my 7th year service done and the PPS service executive calls me and says, oil is all over coolant path which is caused due to oil cooler failure, if not rectified will seize the engine. And the costing is shocking for that. I am incurring roughly around 50K - 60k every year since the warranty. Is this how the Skoda quality is built?

Any one faced this issue, just in Oct 2020, I had replaced the thermostat which costed me 35k on just the part. Now this is very disappointing. If parts keep failing for every 5k Km like this then its kind of bad automotive to own.
Any of these European cars will have running repair costs as it gets older. I would suggest you shifting to a good FNG. Many a times these OEM service centers will push for additional repairs and it will also cost significantly more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks