Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 19:28   #5071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Oil Cooler failure, oil leaking into coolant.

Everytime the service is due, looks like its a nightmare for me. I am getting my 7th year service done and the PPS service executive calls me and says, oil is all over coolant path which is caused due to oil cooler failure, if not rectified will seize the engine. And the costing is shocking for that. I am incurring roughly around 50K - 60k every year since the warranty. Is this how the Skoda quality is built?

Any one faced this issue, just in Oct 2020, I had replaced the thermostat which costed me 35k on just the part. Now this is very disappointing. If parts keep failing for every 5k Km like this then its kind of bad automotive to own.
I had the oil cooler leak in March 2019. Part replaced.
There was a radiator leak in Dec 2020. Part replaced.
Next was the radiator fan giving way in May 2021. Part replaced.
Both camshaft actuator magnets failed in Nov 2021, parts replaced.
A small wiring cut was found due to age related wear and tear recently which caused cruise control to be disabled, it was fixed without a charge.

All of the above parts were paid for by me, after warranty. I think the first three faults are inter linked. Hence i suggest changing the radiator along with oil cooler right away. Yes the car has been high on maintenance, but then thats true with any car, if you wish to maintain it well. I get the oil change every 10k kms, instead of specified 15k kms. I have proactively changed the front suspension mounts, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, all of these twice. Front shock absorbers once. And I am running on my 8th battery. I change tyres every 40k kms or so. Hence I am on the 4th set plus the original tyres which i used only for 30k kms. I dont suggest any outside FNG. Skoda service is improving, I have literally seen them grow in the last 10 years. You just need to give them time to diagnose and diagnose well. Yea it calls for some threatening and tweeting from time to time, but the job gets done. What they carry out, they do perfectly and transparently, at least for me. I am always on the floor when work is being carried out on my car. Moreover they have assigned a single expert to work on my car since the beginning. So he knows what was done last time and what could be wrong in the first place when an issue comes up. As I said, you need to be a bit more proactive and keep a regular check for leaks, signs of damage, regularly check oil level and its condition, coolant levels, etc. the basics and you’re sorted. I have an OBDELEVEN device and scan the car at least once a month to catch any gremlins beofre the service is due. Keep the car clean inside out, and it drives like a dream.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 9th February 2022 at 19:41.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:48   #5072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I had the oil cooler leak in March 2019. Part replaced.
There was a radiator leak in Dec 2020. Part replaced.
Next was the radiator fan giving way in May 2021. Part replaced.
Both camshaft actuator magnets failed in Nov 2021, parts replaced.
A small wiring cut was found due to age related wear and tear recently which caused cruise control to be disabled, it was fixed without a charge.
What was your overall expenses since the oil cooler leak. Researching a bit, it seems the issue is with these WV group of vehicles. Why should we customer pay for their poor design ?

I've got a quote for 80K for only parts not labour, labour is usually the same or 50% of the part cost.. This is crazy for a car which is hardly driven during this covid. I have not crossed their 15K km between service since the last 3 services and having to see the internal part damages which is not even the moving part is really pathetic.
Old 10th February 2022, 10:16   #5073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was your overall expenses since the oil cooler leak. Researching a bit, it seems the issue is with these WV group of vehicles. Why should we customer pay for their poor design ?

I've got a quote for 80K for only parts not labour, labour is usually the same or 50% of the part cost.. This is crazy for a car which is hardly driven during this covid. I have not crossed their 15K km between service since the last 3 services and having to see the internal part damages which is not even the moving part is really pathetic.
What is the current mileage on the odo? Share the parts they have asked to replace. 80k sound steep. For me the charges for oil cooler were 13k, some accessories around 1k, new coolant for 2k, a radiotor flush with oem cleansol for 2.5k, total approx 18.5k only. Labour was 2k additional but that inluded a suspension replacement and maintenance service too!

The radiotor replacement cost me approx. 12k with labour. Radiotor itself was around 8k.

Radiotor fan was the most expensive at 19k for the fan and 2k labour. But it was the most easiest job, it took the mechanic 5 minutes from start to end to replace the entire radiotor fan with its frame as it comes in one peice and no screws or bolts.

Also you should note, Skoda is updating and upgrading the spares. So a lot of times i get different prices for pads, plugs, basic items too, with new part numbers and higher sticker price. That has been my only grouse with Skoda, that they should supply me with the parts that cost me as much when i bought the car, not as per their upgrade policy and charge me sometimes double of the old part cost, after 7 years of ownership.

Overall dont worry, and pls share screenshot of the estimate given to you.
Old 12th February 2022, 21:33   #5074
BHPian

I have been thinking to upgrade the alloys to 17 inches in addition to masking the chrome on the front grille. Planning 17 inch 7.5-8J alloys with 225 50 R17 Michelin PS4s on my 1.8 TSi with multi link suspension. How much stiffness of ride can we expect? How bad will be the ride?
Old 13th February 2022, 00:11   #5075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I have been thinking to upgrade the alloys to 17 inches in addition to masking the chrome on the front grille. Planning 17 inch 7.5-8J alloys with 225 50 R17 Michelin PS4s on my 1.8 TSi with multi link suspension. How much stiffness of ride can we expect? How bad will be the ride?
I had upgraded to 225/45/17 on 8J alloys on my TDI. Honestly I did not find a lot of difference - probably a 20% more stiffer. Infact TDI stock set up is more stiffer than TSI. Also to note I am running on Bilstein B6. On the positive side the car feels from a segment above, and it’s rock solid on extreme triple digit speeds. The road undulations doesn’t impact the stability at all.
I would say go for it, it’s totally worth. Though 50 profile will have more deviation than 45.

Last edited by sunikkat : 13th February 2022 at 00:12.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 19:07   #5076
Distinguished - BHPian

Notch backs are amazing
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20220212_180604.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20220212_175956.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 19:46   #5077
BHPian

Notch backs are amazing - I concur
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-ef98af5da2974612b380391d5f134dff.jpeg
sandygordon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 23:15   #5078
BHPian

#EnterpriseReview: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1397623a3a5f4138b327fc5c18dfa8a9.jpeg
12000 km completed
Nil problems yet, fingers crossed
The turbo whine is prominent at times. The goodyears are not retaining air pressure. I ve to fill up air / Nitrogen every month. Tyre pressures drop by 4-5 psi in a month. Hope it is not a major problem.

The fake vrs badge is getting a lot of attention
I had a glc 43 AMG on my tail asking me to drag. I banked left and slowed down, it flew past me into oblivion.
sandygordon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:30   #5079
BHPian

Sandygordon’s pic inspired me to put a pic of my dechromed front grille. Simple sticker job.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-945b1a702ebb4cd292faf29f35bf96fe.jpeg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-3d63be206bdf449daaa12cff8f8657b7.jpeg
Deep Blue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 07:44   #5080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
What is the current mileage on the odo? Share the parts they have asked to replace. 80k sound steep. For me the charges for oil cooler were 13k, some accessories around 1k, new coolant for 2k, a radiotor flush with oem cleansol for 2.5k, total approx 18.5k only. Labour was 2k additional but that inluded a suspension replacement and maintenance service too!

Overall dont worry, and pls share screenshot of the estimate given to you.
Attached is the screen shot of parts. The parts costed ~40K, following were the major part and supporting parts for them. Labor is ~20K .
1. Oil cooler.
2. Coolant tank.
3. Fly wheel.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot-20220224-7.35.59-am.png

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot-20220224-7.35.17-am.png

Had these from PPS, the service response is something I should appreciate from service agent. He assured me that the work is done to really last without further issue. Hopefully he is true to his word.
What features that most of our Mahindra, Tata boost about and charge for has been there in Skoda since then. The drive is no doubt pleasure, if this surprises
are reduced its an amazing to car to own.
Old 25th February 2022, 00:22   #5081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attached is the screen shot of parts. The parts costed ~40K, following were the major part and supporting parts for them. Labor is ~20K .
All looks good to me. But I don’t see any mention of radiator flush. That needs to be done when you have oil in coolant. And I’d recommend getting a new radiator as that was the next thing that failed for me, and finally the radiator cooling fan. I wouldn’t go as far as the fan replacement with your car but try to get the radiator replaced, then all your coolant system is new. Do note, water pump is also a wear and tear item, do get it checked during next visit.
Old 25th February 2022, 12:32   #5082
BHPian

My car’s air conditioning is blowing hot air and there is a hissing sound when the compressor kicks in. I assume it’s just low AC refrigerant level. Anything else that may be wrong? I’ve been told by my SA to not use AC and I’m getting it checked tomorrow.
Old 25th February 2022, 12:37   #5083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
My car’s air conditioning is blowing hot air and there is a hissing sound when the compressor kicks in. I assume it’s just low AC refrigerant level. Anything else that may be wrong? I’ve been told by my SA to not use AC and I’m getting it checked tomorrow.
Hissing typically indicates low gas but if the car isn't too old (more than 5-6 years) or hasn't been sitting for more than 2-3 months, yet the cooling is nil, then it indicates something is wrong with the system (most probably a leak).

Might be a cooling coil (evaporator) leakage. Best to have the system pressure tested once for leaks.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 12:47   #5084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Hissing typically indicates low gas but if the car isn't too old (more than 5-6 years) or hasn't been sitting for more than 2-3 months, yet the cooling is nil, then it indicates something is wrong with the system (most probably a leak).

Might be a cooling coil (evaporator) leakage. Best to have the system pressure tested once for leaks.
Thanks Vishy, it’s a 2015 car and the cooling has been iffy for some weeks now. Let’s see what comes up.
Old 25th February 2022, 13:34   #5085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
My car’s air conditioning is blowing hot air and there is a hissing sound when the compressor kicks in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Best to have the system pressure tested once for leaks.
True, better to have it properly checked by Skoda Service or a competent AC mechanic.

Best case it's a leak, middle case is a thermostat and/or AC actuator replacement, and absolute worse case a compressor failure. Last is unlikely as you mentioned you can hear the compressor 'kick in'.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th February 2022 at 13:37.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks