Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 06:52   #5101
BHPian

Re: Tyre upsize trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Were you able to resolve these issues? I would blame it partly on the tire / wheel upsize. The correct upsize should have been 225/45/17. You have increased the wheel diameter by quite a lot. It could be one of the reasons why these errors are popping up. If its not too late get a set of 225/45/17 tyres. Your tyre shop might take the current tyres as buy back for almost the same price as you bought them, assuming here that you wouldn’t have clocked a lot of kms on them yet.
Resolved the issues
The right front ABS sensor was at fault
They replaced it under warranty
As for the tyre upsize, true that the diameter has increased by >3% but except for the rare tyre scrapes on the rear wheel well on full load, everything seems ok at the moment. I have already run more than 2k km on those tyres. Seems like it is late for a switch.
Old 15th April 2022, 21:38   #5102
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Thinking of dechroming / painting the chrome black - on the front grille. The window sills would be difficult I think.
However the alloy wheels do shine and the Seltos experience has got me addicted to a bit of chrome. Will be trying the sticker wrap this weekend.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_5171.jpg
sandygordon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 23:18   #5103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Thinking of dechroming / painting the chrome black - on the front grille. The window sills would be difficult I think.
However the alloy wheels do shine and the Seltos experience has got me addicted to a bit of chrome. Will be trying the sticker wrap this weekend.
Attachment 2296962
Do let us know how it goes. I am toying with this idea too. Had mine roof wrapped black, now the chrome elements are standing out (not in a good way)

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2a19f0b2a6704998942cc9a07ad1430d.jpeg
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 18:50   #5104
BHPian

Hi friends,
Yesterday I gave a brief trial to clean both the front seats in my Octavia. It was my first such DIY attempt & still without much efforts, I could manage to achieve reasonable shine.

In fact, I was a bit sceptical to visit the nearby Car Washing/ Servicing Centre for the purpose. So, I just went ahead with the 'Interior Cleaner' liquid from the Car Care kit, I got as complimentary at the Skoda ASC during last annual servicing.

The process was simple that took 30 minutes for the entire job.

1. Spray the liquid over the surface to be cleaned.
2. Wait for a while to moisten the muck.
3. Rub gently with Sponge supplied with the kit.
4. Wipe out with a moist microfiber cloth to dry the surface.
That's all !
You can see the difference in the pics attached.

Also please suggest if there is any need to go for any specific Leather Conditioner post cleaning.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-interior-cleaner-skoda.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-drivers-seat-before-cleaning.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-see-difference.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-passenger-seat-after-cleaning.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-driver-seat-after-cleaning.jpeg  

Dr.Vikas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 00:01   #5105
BHPian

Hello fellow Octavia owners,

Needed your valuable input in regards to the situation I find myself in. I own 2016 Octy TDI 2.0 AT, we've used it for 62,000 KMs... it has been fairly good ownership. Until recently in the last service (first week of April) when the SA advised that the suspension needs attention, it's "weak" and mounting needs replacement as its worn out. I refused the work for the time-being. Attached is the SA's comment.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_7181.png

Now... cut to Saturday (16th April), while driving in the city, suddenly I hear a loud grunt from the engine whenever the engine reached RPMs higher than 2000. It was like the sound dampening was removed from the car. Called the SA, he advised to bring the car in. Soon after there as a red coil spring light warning. Now it being a long weekend all the Skoda ASC were closed. I took the car to a widely recommended mechanic at a famous car market, (hesitantly indeed) - he scanned the car and diagnosed it as a timing/timing belt issue. He said the timing of the car was off as the belt was worn out. On further inspection, he found pieces of the timing belt in the assembly. He assured that it's not a big deal and the entire kit needs to be replaced. Again, I was in two minds... have never used mechanics beyond ASCs, but went ahead... He charged me some 15k or so (12k for the kit, and rest for labour and coolant)... thereafter the noise was gone but the red light persisted, to which he said it needs to be scanned at the ASC and perhaps the head needs to be opened, some sensor might be off. I knew I was in trouble...

Today morning the car went to the ASC and they straight out blamed it all on the kit from a non authorised repair. They claim the camshaft is bent and needs to be replaced along with the kit and a bunch of other parts. The total quote is some 1.77 lacs, they were pretty arrogant and refused to help with any lesser expensive alternatives. It was take it or leave it.

Attached is the estimate:

Name:  Screenshot 20220419 at 12.00.03 AM.png
Views: 1320
Size:  155.6 KB

Can you please help me decide? The options to my understanding are:
  1. Bargain hard and get the repairs done from ASC. [I am worried about future failures and expenses spiralling out of control as time progresses].
  2. Try to get it fixed from outside... [Might not be much cheaper, but can be tricky since the head needs to be opened?]
  3. Use the car as is... the SA said I can do that, but at my risk... [Is this even an option?]
  4. Sell the car and cut my losses and settle for a lesser car [it might turn out to be even more expensive, doing this - the plan was to keep this car for a year or two more]
Old 26th April 2022, 10:14   #5106
BHPian

Quote:
At last took the plunge
Upgraded alloys to 17 inch Momo Rush and tyres to 225 50 R17 Michelin Pilot sport 4. Drove on 34psi.
How are you managing it at 34? Isnt it bouncy?
I have the same 225 50 R17 PS4 and it was uncomfortable for me at 32, dropped to 30 and its manageable.

Picture Credit

Cheers!
Arun
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot-20220426-100845.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by treadmark : 26th April 2022 at 10:15.
treadmark is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 12:40   #5107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Damn, it looks sexy. The dechrome looks super cool - did you get it painted or wrapped?

On tyres, I am running with 225/45/17 with 33 PSI (cold pressure) and that works well for me.

Last edited by sunikkat : 26th April 2022 at 12:42.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 15:32   #5108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
How are you managing it at 34? Isnt it bouncy?
It was bouncy at 34. Dropped it to 32 and it is manageable for me. Have to slow down at low speeds on humps though.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 16:54   #5109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Damn, it looks sexy. The dechrome looks super cool - did you get it painted or wrapped?
Wrapped window belt line molding and front grill surround. Skoda logo is a black replacement piece from AliExpress (bought when they were shipping to India), Skoda and Octavia letters were painted.

To me, anything above 30 is painful on broken roads, couldn't manage even on 32.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 19:22   #5110
BHPian

I got a coolant light in my 1.8 TSI today, can any fellow owner confirm if it’s okay to top it up with MAHLE KFW9844039?Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-5a24ade575b446029305605d40869cf2.jpeg
Old 16th May 2022, 16:46   #5111

@sandygordon, how much was the final deal for the Octavia 2019 you got. I am also looking for one with a 12k odo and a 2019 model currently. Wondering what the best deal for that is.
Old 17th May 2022, 11:36   #5112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
I got a coolant light in my 1.8 TSI today, can any fellow owner confirm if it’s okay to top it up with MAHLE KFW9844039?Attachment 2306524
Which model is your and what is the ODO reading?
The coolant level normally does not go low.
The same thing happened to my car and within 500kms the water pump failed.
i would suggest you to get the water pump checked and replace it immediately.
Old 17th May 2022, 15:39   #5113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajnya View Post
Which model is your and what is the ODO reading?
The coolant level normally does not go low.
The same thing happened to my car and within 500kms the water pump failed.
i would suggest you to get the water pump checked and replace it immediately.
Actually a couple piece was replaced a few months back and the whole system was checked thoroughly for any leaks. The coolant level is alright, the light went away after stopping the car and restarting it and has not appeared since then in 200kms of driving. I have kept an eye on the coolant level and stored some VAG premixed g12 evo coolant in the car.

It's a 2015 1.8 TSI with 46k on the odo.
Old 18th May 2022, 09:59   #5114

Quote:
It was bouncy at 34. Dropped it to 32 and it is manageable for me. Have to slow down at low speeds on humps though.
@sandygordon, how much was the final deal for the Octavia 2019 you got. I am also looking for one with a 12k odo and a 2019 model currently. Wondering what the best deal for that is.
kiransagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 23:48   #5115
BHPian

Fellow Bhpians,
Greetings.
I ride a MK-3 2017 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. Stage-1 ECM remamp done-Superchips and Stage 1 TCU done.
Stock tyres are 205/55/R16. Looking to upgrade the tyres and or rims for more grip and high speed stability.
This is my daily ride and do not wish to sacrifice too much on the comfort.

1. 245/45/R17 (PS4) - Will look for used VRS-230 rims else will opt for new Momo rims. My tyre shop guy advised against this as he says due to low profile of the tyre , the side wall may get cut/damaged if i hit a pot hole at reasonable high speeds. Guys who have done this mod kindly give feedback.

2. 215/55/R16 - little more grip and same level of comfort. He had suggested Pirelli tyres or Michelin.

Kindly give your expert opinions.

Last edited by viky_s : 27th May 2022 at 23:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks