Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2021, 17:31   #4996
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

I have an october 2016 1.8 tsi style plus. One of my ABS sensors is malfunctioning and I requested for it to be replaced under warranty. I have already purchased the two years extended warranty. The dealership is refusing to process this under warranty citing that the battery in my car has not been replaced at Skoda dealership. I have an Exide battery installed in my car which I did get replaced through an Exide dealer.

Can my warranty claim be rejected on this ground? Request seniors to please guide.
I don't want to pay for the sensor after paying almost 60k to buy the extended warranty.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th November 2021 at 11:04. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 5th November 2021, 18:02   #4997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
The dealership is refusing to process this under warranty citing that the battery in my car has not been replaced at Skoda dealership. I have an Exide battery installed in my car which I did get replaced through an Exide dealer.
Can my warranty claim be rejected on this ground?
That's absolute nonsense by the dealer. Your warranty can't be rejected on such silly grounds. My Jetta has an Amaron battery now but that wasn't an issue for ABS sensor replacements. There's no relation between battery changing and warranty for wheel speed sensors. Give them a strong warning and threaten to escalate the issue otherwise.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 18:40   #4998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have an october 2016 1.8 tsi style plus. One of my ABS sensors is malfunctioning and I requested for it to be replaced under warranty.
Rubbish! Ask for the refusal in writing, and concurrently escalate to Zac Hollis via Twitter. Take it to another Skoda workshop if practical as well.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 21:38   #4999
BHPian

Quote:
The dealership is refusing to process this under warranty citing that the battery in my car has not been replaced at Skoda dealership. I have an Exide battery installed in my car which I did get replaced through an Exide dealer.
I don't want to pay for the sensor after paying almost 60k to buy the extended warranty.
That is crap. Don't fall for this and if needed you shall forward your complaint to Skoda India.

Prior to this pandemic, one of my friends who had a Rapid, faced a similar issue but I can't remember whether it was for on the ABS sensor / the headlight, the Skoda dealership refused his claim initially citing the same reason. That he has opted for a battery that was not from Skoda. Their claim was, the battery is one of the most integral parts of the car's electrical parts. Hence changing something "substandard" might have caused the trouble. As such they cannot claim under warranty as Skoda India will reject it.

My friend was very furious and he insisted the dealer find that particular clause from the warranty/extended warranty terms and conditions and created havoc. Finally, I got to know from him that he got that changed FOC from another Skoda dealer as it was suggested by Skoda India.
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 13:21   #5000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
.... Take it to another Skoda workshop if practical as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
.. from another Skoda dealer as it was suggested by Skoda India.
Unfortunately, I have only one Skoda Dealer- Mahavir Auto at Vijaywada, Andhra Pradesh. I had to shift from Mumbai due to work this october. I had a very smooth experience earlier at JMD Auto Mumbai. They have already replaced one of my ABS Sensors under warranty last year. And my car already had an Exide battery replaced at Exide Dealership. It seems that the dealership is having a free hand in their own interpretation of a policy. Otherwise across different dealerships I should not have faced this.
I have already escalated this to skoda and I have got the following email reply from the dealership.

"Dear sir,

Greetings from Mahavir Skoda Vijayawada,

This is with reference to your concern towards Skoda vehicle .
We are apologies for the inconvenience happened.
As per the telephonic conversation , vehicle is reported with the ABS lamp glowing complaint.
After diagnosis we found that ABS Sensor need to replace.
And in your vehicle fitted with outside battery.
In this regard, kindly replace with Skoda battery in order to obtain continue and future warranty against all electrical and electronic components.
This is for your kind information .
We are truly committed towards our customers and providing best experience to them at all times.
In case if you have any other issues related car.

We request you to call us back.

Thanks & Regards,

CH.XXXXXX XXXXXXXX
Customer Relationship Manager
Mahavir Group
Mahavir Auto Diagnostics Private Limited.
#5-28, NH-5, Prasadampadu,Vijayawada-521108.
T +91866- 2842996.."

Now, they want me to replace with skoda battery to give warranty and any further warranty claims. This is quite atrocious.

Last edited by axe_deo : 6th November 2021 at 13:23.
Old 6th November 2021, 13:25   #5001
BHPian

Zac Hollis is active on Twitter and Skoda FB group. Post there

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkodaOwnersIndia/
Old 6th November 2021, 23:33   #5002
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Does the 3rd Gen Octavia (2019 L&K) have sunroof drains? How do I find them? All youtube videos seem to be showing the combi not the hatchback.

My car's front section of the sunroof doesn't look like ones online and in fact, I can't see any drains. If I push water in, it comes out of the upper corner of the windscreen, which seems less than ideal! and very slow too.

Of course I have absolutely no idea if the rear section has any drains, because that part doesn't open and I can't see it.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

As a background: one of my colleague's Superb had the roof-liner soaked (eventually the entire car, leading to ECU failure) due to this, so I thought I'll check mine in time. To my surprise, the outer section of the sunroof assembly was quite muddy/ dusty and home to ants.

I pressure washed that part (with a handy low pressure pump) but initially felt the water not draining (and ants swimming). After multiple attempts, it started draining slowly, but I could see it coming out of the upper edge of the windscreen.

The only conclusion I could get to was that there are no drains (at least not in front), the water just comes out of the sunroof assembly from the edge that touches the windscreen.
Old 7th November 2021, 21:25   #5003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
Simply amazing. 16.7Kmpl is the best I have ever observed in 35K kms of driving. I have a lifetime mileage of 12kmpl which includes 80% city with sedate and short distance driving and 20% spirited driving on highways.
Sedate driving gives some amazing mileage, better than ARAI numbers as well. On the Life time Mileage mentioned, are you tracking this basis any app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I have closed a deal on 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG. It has hardly run 7k km in 2 years. It does not have extended warranty. It does have standard 4 year warranty of the 2019 batch. I know I should be prepared for DQ200 issues. I have had a DCT on my Kia which also gave a lot of trouble.
Congrats on your Octavia. And anyday cannot compare an Octavia driving pleasure to a Seltos.

Hope you are going for the extended warranty, as you should be able to get it since the vehicle is within the 4 year standard warranty. Please take it so that another 2 years of free DSG replacement will be assured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Does the 3rd Gen Octavia (2019 L&K) have sunroof drains? How do I find them? All Youtube videos seem to be showing the combi not the hatchback.

My car's front section of the sunroof doesn't look like ones online and in fact, I can't see any drains. If I push water in, it comes out of the upper corner of the windscreen, which seems less than ideal! and very slow too.

Of course I have absolutely no idea if the rear section has any drains, because that part doesn't open and I can't see it.

Does anyone have any experience with it?
Are you sure that water drains out of the upper corner of windscreen?. The entire windscreen area is supposed to be water proof without any ingress or egress. If at all the drain is there coming to the front, should be near the front cowl area. Let me also explore.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 07:30   #5004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Sedate driving gives some amazing mileage, better than ARAI numbers as well. On the Life time Mileage mentioned, are you tracking this basis any app?
Yes, I use Drivvo app to track the car related expenses, services etc.
Old 10th November 2021, 21:34   #5005
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

My Octavia has completed 4 years in September which means it is out of warranty now and was also due for 5th Service (Paid). I Contacted Skoda JMD in Mumbai and they only had a slot after 22 days. I was also getting an ABS sensor malfunctioning error but they refused to look into it before 20th November. Took my car to a friends workshop in Pune and he gladly serviced my Octavia without any issues within 4 hours and even replaced the front left ABS sensor (cost around INR ~3K). Skoda is coming up with lots of new service centres in other parts of the country whereas Mumbai is left with only 3 options (Mahalaxmi, Kandivali & Bhandup) or the fourth one in Navi Mumbai.

Car's ODO stands at 52,000 KM. Apart from regular services, so far I have replaced Brake Pads at 50K, battery twice (each after 2 years interval) and ABS sensor (twice).

Last edited by shahbaz63 : 10th November 2021 at 21:35. Reason: Typo correction.
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 16:43   #5006
BHPian

I came across this video in YouTube in the channel Horsepower cartel, it’s a Limca book of record for driving solo from Leh to Kanyakumari and what caught my attention was that it was attempted in a 3rd gen FL Skoda Octavia, yes! the low slung gladiator in the ocean of SUVs. As per the owner, the only mods were a metal underbody protection, higher side walled tyres 205/60 R16 (stock comes with 205/55 R16) and an ECU & DSG mapping for the 1.8 TSI. Apparently, it was his father’s wish to complete the circuit, as he himself was attempting it 2015 but unfortunately he met with an accident and had to call it off. I don’t know whether it serves a purpose or not but hats off to the owner and the car, this infact made me a little more committed to the belief that I may not really need an SUV to upgrade from my Rapid.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 14th November 2021 at 16:46.
sachin_cs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:32   #5007
BHPian

The extended warranty continues to pay for itself.
As i had stated earlier, i was having issues with the radio not producing any sound while other modes (bluetooth, Carplay) did. Had been facing this issue since 2017/18 and was always a standard part of complaints in the annual service. An update of the software used to solve it or at times a reset worked. However, i was convinced that this was a hardware issue. In 2021, the radio just completely gave up and even the software updates stopped working. Brite Skoda (Noida) did the full test and the MIB was declared faulty.

Then began the Skoda warranty saga with them first saying that this not covered under EW as its from third party and not from Skoda (something which they did for the first year and then moved it all inhouse). The dealer did most of the fighting for me and i did not have any interaction with Skoda barring a tweet to Zac. This took about 2 months but the dealer did not give up and continued fighting skoda. In fact my SA sent the service record to Skoda from when the issue was first raised and the 5/6 times after that. Finally the new part was approved and they fit in a brand new MIB system and everything is working fine.

To all members, specially the early adapters of the 5th and 6th year warranty- keep pushing skoda to cover as much as possible. And be very nice and kind to the SA always- it always always helps!

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:19   #5008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
I came across this video in YouTube in the channel Horsepower cartel, it’s a Limca book of record for driving solo from Leh to Kanyakumari and what caught my attention was that it was attempted in a 3rd gen FL Skoda Octavia, yes! the low slung gladiator in the ocean of SUVs. As per the owner, the only mods were a metal underbody protection, higher side walled tyres 205/60 R16 (stock comes with 205/55 R16) and an ECU & DSG mapping for the 1.8 TSI.
https://Youtu.be/eRzUZ6bmpuQ
Quite a brave choice of car, and a DSG too! Like the driver said in the video, once he got down the mountains to the plains, there is no stopping this kind of car.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 23:46   #5009
BHPian

I received my Octavia TSI after the 4th annual servicing along with some R/R work today.
The Car was at the workshop for 2+ days as the thermostat was planned to be replaced, this time under warranty.

Car was delivered at stipulated time. However, I would like to have a few days of serious driving experience + a good look at the quality of work performed, before sharing any thoughts.
The total damage on my pocket summed up to 21+k as it included 4k towards 3 yrs RSA charges. I would share the detailed break up in my next post soon.

Anyways, I was offered a 'Mini Car Care kit' and a 'Welcome kit' as a complimentary gift today which seems to be either a part of their routine goodwill gesture or a special one just for me in anticipation for a better, positive feedback. Can't say !

Thanks,
Dr.Vikas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 11:38   #5010
BHPian

Wow, an out of the box choice. And apart up for the sedan lovers and more specifics to Octavians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
I came across this video in YouTube in the channel Horsepower cartel, it’s a Limca book of record for driving solo from Leh to Kanyakumari and what caught my attention was that it was attempted in a 3rd gen FL Skoda Octavia, yes! the low slung gladiator in the ocean of SUVs. As per the owner, the only mods were a metal underbody protection, higher side walled tyres 205/60 R16 (stock comes with 205/55 R16) and an ECU & DSG mapping for the 1.8 TSI. Apparently, it was his father’s wish to complete the circuit, as he himself was attempting it 2015 but unfortunately he met with an accident and had to call it off. I don’t know whether it serves a purpose or not but hats off to the owner and the car, this infact made me a little more committed to the belief that I may not really need an SUV to upgrade from my Rapid.

https://Youtu.be/eRzUZ6bmpuQ
itssmano is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks