Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 23:30   #166
BHPian

Which variant did you bought and let us know the benefits you got.
Old 11th June 2014, 09:27   #167
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2013 Toyota Innova Facelift

I know it is a bit weird to ask here, but then I could not find any better place to put my query. I am looking at a used Innova to replace my aging Indica. Basically I need a bigger car to accommodate 6 in my family, we the couple, my aging parents and my two small kids. What better option that the Innova. But then I intend to use the Innova not just for my long family outings, but also the daily office commute, which is 64kms, to and fro. Obviously the question comes to mind, whether the Innova would be frugal enough and would not blow my monthly fuel bills out of proportion (comparing here with my Indica, which gives me 18-19 kmpl with AC).

I would like to get first hand information from the owners and experts alike, what is the maximum fuel efficiency (kmpl) than I can expect from the diesel Innova. I believe the ARAI certified mileage is somewhere around 13 kmpl, but then is this the maximum mileage that we can expect in ideal driving conditions?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 11th June 2014 at 09:29.
Old 11th June 2014, 11:29   #168
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I would like to get first hand information from the owners and experts alike, what is the maximum fuel efficiency (kmpl) than I can expect from the diesel Innova. I believe the ARAI certified mileage is somewhere around 13 kmpl, but then is this the maximum mileage that we can expect in ideal driving conditions?
I dont drive an innova daily ; however I have driven my cousin's 7-seater for a month. I can say - mileage is 10-12 in city and ~15 (max 100 kph) on the highway. What you lose in mileage, you gain with bullet-proof reliability.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 12:23   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know it is a bit weird to ask here, but then I could not find any better place to put my query. I am looking at a used Innova to replace my aging Indica. Basically I need a bigger car to accommodate 6 in my family, we the couple, my aging parents and my two small kids. What better option that the Innova. But then I intend to use the Innova not just for my long family outings, but also the daily office commute, which is 64kms, to and fro. Obviously the question comes to mind, whether the Innova would be frugal enough and would not blow my monthly fuel bills out of proportion (comparing here with my Indica, which gives me 18-19 kmpl with AC).

If you keep the Indica efficiency in mind, Innova comes nowhere close is just not affordable.

Max 12 kpl is what you can expect that too with absolutely conscious driving with respect to gearing, acceleration & braking and driving conditions, minimum you should get 10 kpl in city irrespective. All this with A/C. My brother frequently churns out 11.5 in Delhi while I frequently get 10.5-11 in Mumbai sometimes maxing at 12.

It can no way fit into fuel efficiency equations. So while thinking about Innova, better leave those thoughts aside. Same will be true for most of the likes of SUVs/MUVs in its league.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 13:20   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I dont drive an innova daily ; however I have driven my cousin's 7-seater for a month. I can say - mileage is 10-12 in city and ~15 (max 100 kph) on the highway. What you lose in mileage, you gain with bullet-proof reliability.
Thank you venkyhere for sharing your experience. Obviously one cannot questions the Innova's comfort or its reliability. 15kmpl is quite good considering the bulk of the vehicle and massive 2.5 litre engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
If you keep the Indica efficiency in mind, Innova comes nowhere close is just not affordable.
True, both are different vehicles altogether, 1.4 litre engine cannot be compared with a 2.5 litre, neither can the kerb weight of 1005kg Indica be compared with the 1675kilos of the Innova. Why I am bringing them into the equation is whether retaining the Indica strictly for office commutes will still makes sense. Not just the FE part, but finding a parking spot daily for the Innova in my office will be a difficult task. Moreover my apartment parking is a bit cramped and daily taking out the Innova and putting it back into place, will be cumbersome. But then keeping two cars, when I am the sole driver at home is also troublesome. Moreover I will have to look after the upkeep and maintenance of both vehicles and most importantly one of the cars (mostly Indica) will lie parked openly on the road.

Quote:
Max 12 kpl is what you can expect that too with absolutely conscious driving with respect to gearing, acceleration & braking and driving conditions, minimum you should get 10 kpl in city irrespective. All this with A/C. My brother frequently churns out 11.5 in Delhi while I frequently get 10.5-11 in Mumbai sometimes maxing at 12.

It can no way fit into fuel efficiency equations. So while thinking about Innova, better leave those thoughts aside. Same will be true for most of the likes of SUVs/MUVs in its league.
Thank you for sharing those figures. Looking at the above, it seems the Innova won't be suitable for the daily office commutes, wherein I am the only occupant. Nothing can beat if for family outings, where comfort, space and convenience are primary concerns, FE/kmpl be damned.

If the above two car solution doesn't work out (Indica for office commutes and Innova for family outings), then I will have to take the middle path and settle either for Ertiga or Mobilio, which I am not so keen at this moment, both being front wheel drive cars, with smaller engines.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 11th June 2014 at 13:22.
Old 11th June 2014, 17:37   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the above two car solution doesn't work out (Indica for office commutes and Innova for family outings), then I will have to take the middle path and settle either for Ertiga or Mobilio, which I am not so keen at this moment, both being front wheel drive cars, with smaller engines.
You should settle for Mobilio . Seeing you so active on the mobilio thread, you should buy it. But the tradeoff that you need to do is to live with initial niggles with a newly launched product (maybe), fingers crossed

Innova is a tad too big for 32 kms commute in Pune traffic.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 11th June 2014 at 17:38.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 17:53   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
You should settle for Mobilio . Seeing you so active on the mobilio thread, you should buy it. But the tradeoff that you need to do is to live with initial niggles with a newly launched product (maybe), fingers crossed

Innova is a tad too big for 32 kms commute in Pune traffic.
You caught me red handed scopriobharath . , that I am active over there, because Mobilio is one of the top contenders in my list. Also you have rightly mentioned that there is a risk of initial niggles with a newly launched product. There should be a cooling off period of at least 6 months before betting your money on a newly launched car.

I was never so confused in my life. Innova is bulky, Mobilio will be new (hence niggles), that leaves me only with the Ertiga. I am getting a feeling that I will have to settle for the Ertiga. Hope after the Mobilio launch, Maruti spruces up the Ertiga, gives a split 3rd row seat, auto AC, autofolding ORVMs etc and also throws in some freebies. Then there will be no looking beyond the Ertiga.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 18:31   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was never so confused in my life. Innova is bulky, Mobilio will be new (hence niggles), that leaves me only with the Ertiga. I am getting a feeling that I will have to settle for the Ertiga. Hope after the Mobilio launch, Maruti spruces up the Ertiga, gives a split 3rd row seat, auto AC, autofolding ORVMs etc and also throws in some freebies. Then there will be no looking beyond the Ertiga.
If you can afford the Innova, go for it. Dont worry about size and othe stuff. The higher price of Innova will be compensated when you sell it.

You will get used to the size of the Innova. I was scared initially with the size but am nowadays comfortable with the size of an innova/endeavour(Friend's).

I found rust in the seat folding mechanism and other exposed metal area. Of course they can be replaced but they should not rust in the first place. I am talking about a 27K kms test drive Ertiga

Last edited by scopriobharath : 11th June 2014 at 18:32.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 22:13   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for sharing those figures. Looking at the above, it seems the Innova won't be suitable for the daily office commutes, wherein I am the only occupant. Nothing can beat if for family outings, where comfort, space and convenience are primary concerns, FE/kmpl be damned.

Being in the same boat - owning an indica and an innova now, let me add some numbers - I am consistently getting 13-14kmpl for my innova, even when I was using it for my office commute (not everyday, though). Since Monday I have started using it daily for my Hinjawadi commute, so I will give you actual numbers in next couple of weeks

On the other hand, since its last servicing, Indica's average has dropped to ~17kmpl. I am attributing it to increased a/c usage in the summer, but it will need some investigation soon. Unfortunately, now it is doing duty in a city traffic (Solapur road), so I have lost the data point.

Does this post help?
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 22:23   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can afford the Innova, go for it. Dont worry about size and othe stuff. The higher price of Innova will be compensated when you sell it.
I never think of going for a particular car/model considering its resale value. But you have made a good point here. Resale value of the Innova will be comparatively higher and that factor is worth considering. A new GX, 8 seater is costing close to 14.5 lacs, on road here in Pune. Obviously I cannot stretch my budget that much. I was/am ready to shell out 10 lacs max, +/- 50K. I am eyeing one used Innova, Oct 2011, V7 seater model, which will be available in Oct 2014 (hopefully), with an asking price of around 8.5 lacs. I have high hopes on this car. If this does not work out, then I will walk away from Innova

Quote:
You will get used to the size of the Innova. I was scared initially with the size but am nowadays comfortable with the size of an innova/endeavour(Friend's).
Same here. Initially I was weary about its size, but in the couple of test drives that I took, within no time, I got very comfortable with the car

Quote:
I found rust in the seat folding mechanism and other exposed metal area. Of course they can be replaced but they should not rust in the first place. I am talking about a 27K kms test drive Ertiga
Point noted. If ever I go for the Ertiga, will get this checked thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Being in the same boat - owning an indica and an innova now, let me add some numbers - I am consistently getting 13-14kmpl for my innova, even when I was using it for my office commute (not everyday, though). Since Monday I have started using it daily for my Hinjawadi commute, so I will give you actual numbers in next couple of weeks

On the other hand, since its last servicing, Indica's average has dropped to ~17kmpl. I am attributing it to increased a/c usage in the summer, but it will need some investigation soon. Unfortunately, now it is doing duty in a city traffic (Solapur road), so I have lost the data point.

Does this post help?
Thank you for pitching in Samir. This post of yours is of immense help to me. I think I should be able to manage about 15kmpl in my daily office commute as 60% of the road is highway. Will definitely seek your help when I come close to finalizing the deal.
Old 11th June 2014, 22:44   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best mileage I have drawn from the Innova is 14kmpl and the worst I have got is around 10.5 kmpl. On average I get between 11- 12kmpl. It is certainly not very fuel efficient.

Other thing you should note is its service bills are relatively on the higher side. Many people confuse reliability with cheap maintenance. So while your unplanned maintenance bills maybe zilch, you can look forward to 500-700 bucks being spent in every 5k service and between 3.5 k - 7k being spent in every 10k service.

Overall, I recommend an Innova eyes shut if you are in the market for a vehicle which would consistently do duty of hauling 5 /5+ people, but in your case I am afraid you may have more reasons to be disappointed with it than be happy.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 23:54   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsmatter View Post
Which variant did you bought and let us know the benefits you got.
Sorry for the late response. I bought the V variant and this is for the company. No benefit was provided ( thanks to the strike) except that they agreed to match the insurance quote.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:42   #178
Senior - BHPian

To all Innova owners out there - how convenient is it to service it every 5000 kms? I mean, I find the Ertiga's 10k interval a huge chore and then looking at Innova's service interval, I draw consolation. So yeah, do you religiously do it or just skip it to the next 10,000? I suspect the cab guys won't be so careful to do it every 5k?

Quote:
I'm surprised by your finding. I live just 500 meters off the Chennai coast (yes, I've rust-proofed my house) and there's no rust in my seat folding mechanism nor on any of the exposed parts. This is, after my Ertiga's been in this coastal parking for 2.5 years now.
Old 13th June 2014, 15:19   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
To all Innova owners out there - how convenient is it to service it every 5000 kms?

I'm surprised by your finding. I live just 500 meters off the Chennai coast (yes, I've rust-proofed my house) and there's no rust in my seat folding mechanism nor on any of the exposed parts. This is, after my Ertiga's been in this coastal parking for 2.5 years now.
I am a prospective innova customer and i personally dont mind servicing the same every 5000 kms.

maybe it is a one off case, but owing to some scenario, the seat mechanism is already rusted. So the fact i wanted to share is it is rust prone
Old 14th June 2014, 16:02   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
To all Innova owners out there - how convenient is it to service it every 5000 kms? I mean, I find the Ertiga's 10k interval a huge chore and then looking at Innova's service interval, I draw consolation. So yeah, do you religiously do it or just skip it to the next 10,000? I suspect the cab guys won't be so careful to do it .

My Innova is 2005 model and has clocked around 115000 km now, I get it serviced at every 5k as recommended, but usually that is every 5-6 month, not less, hence I am ok with that, however it is just cleaning that they do with no replacement of any consumable, I know many who skip the 5k service, but I would rather not do that

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Anupam is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks