Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2007, 15:52   #226
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with indivic...

It should be 1 bar for every 2 ltrs.
But the fuel meter is more sensitive (moves fast) in beginning and towards the end, while it is very steady in the middle.
I guess it is designed based on our sensitivity towards the accuracy around full and empty, rather than somewhere in middle where we don't care.

I can take around 38 ltrs with 1 bar left and auto cutoff. Was wondering were the problem is...
1. Do the fuel tank guys have auto cut-off triggered much before the tank is full or
2. Is there plenty of reserve even when bars are over...?

My guess is 5 ltrs towards point 1 above and about 5 towards the point 2, with 2 ltrs measurement error

The measurement system seems to be same as every other car has, only the display is digital. Once in a while I even have the problem of disappeared bar re-appearing, makes me so happy
Old 19th July 2007, 16:48   #227
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Welcome to the ever expanding Civic club.

A piece of advice: Don't let your car cleaner clean your car. You will get swirl /scratch marks pretty soon if he is using abrasive cloths on dust laden windscreens.

When the low fuel indicator comes on, there is around 10 litres of fuel remaining in the car. I've driven atleast 30kms+ after the last bar has disappeared without any problems. But don't take any chances.

Lack of leather seats, fog lamps and lumbar support is very disappointing.
Old 19th July 2007, 17:15   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A piece of advice: Don't let your car cleaner clean your car. You will get swirl /scratch marks pretty soon if he is using abrasive cloths on dust laden windscreens.
But what's the alternative, you can't clean your car everyday morning.
Is there any protective coating, which can prevent this?
Old 19th July 2007, 17:33   #229
Senior - BHPian

@ ST7677 - Could you tell me exactly where is the Civic's air intake located? I mean, it looks like its pointed towards the ground.
Old 19th July 2007, 17:48   #230
BHPian

The measurement system seems to be same as every other car has, only the display is digital. Once in a while I even have the problem of disappeared bar re-appearing, makes me so happy

Hey ,so you get that as well then, I thought it was only in my car, so then it is clearly a case of analog measurement and a digital display. I think the system has a continuous check to the fuel left and when in doubt to convert to digital, adds another bar , in my vew it is better to show a pessimistic figure
Old 19th July 2007, 18:03   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
But what's the alternative, you can't clean your car everyday morning.
Is there any protective coating, which can prevent this?

There's a whole big thread on car care. You should read it. :-)

I wipe my car with a wet chamois cloth. Once a week a full wash.

Having paid a lot for a car, I don't want it to have scratches due to the car cleaners ring, bracelet, abrasive cloth etc. I guess its an individual thing.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:09   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
There's a whole big thread on car care. You should read it. :-)

I wipe my car with a wet chamois cloth. Once a week a full wash.

Having paid a lot for a car, I don't want it to have scratches due to the car cleaners ring, bracelet, abrasive cloth etc. I guess its an individual thing.
You are right in what you said about the scratches resulting out of cleaning done by anybody else but you. I have the 3M Car Detailing Treatment done on my car once in 6 months and I clean my car with chamois only once a week. The treatment is good enough to keep the car gleaming the whole week before it warrants a cleaning during the weekend.
Old 20th July 2007, 11:35   #233
BHPian

Thankx all!

Thankx Pals :-)

You know what!, I have had lot of cars but not like this before. It takes at least 10 to 15 minutes to explain each detail in the car to someone
and with the ambient light fixed I make sure that demos are only in the Night :-)

Some more cool and strange things which I found out

1. I love when the Fuel Bar goes to 3 and then coming back to 4 or 5.
2. The SVC in the Audio system seems to work only for some CD's???
3. I found a small place to keep the mobile, Below the front A/C vents!
Frankly, it is not visible at all :-)
4. Looks like the A/C Vent under the Front seats work only for the HEATER
5. The cool green circle over the Ignition key ring is awesome!
6. Once you rev the car over 3K RPM you don't feel like driving
the baby any slower. Pity I need to wait till 1000 Kms.

As you can see I am not doing anything in life other than watching this
beauty.

QUESTION: I start the engine, and the RPM stays at 1000 RPM
without me touching the accelerator. Is it normal? I think my NHC used
to be at 0 RPM??

Happy Civicing! Please keep this thread alive and kicking, would love to
hear from you experts!
Old 20th July 2007, 13:50   #234
Team-BHP Support

when you start the engine the engine will be at a slightly high rpm till the car warms up. then it will be back at the normal idling rpm.

as for your nhc i think thats a typo 0rpm? that means your car is off.
Old 21st July 2007, 14:53   #235

Contrarian

Hi all.. you all would have gone through my review on the Civic MT - which by the way i own :(.

I wanted to know one honest opinion from people around - try enumerating 5 best things you like about your civic and i assume almost 3 of them would be cosmetic in nature.. exterior looks, sexy dashboard, beautifully lit odometer and stuff... what about the actual purpose of a car - driveability???
  • The car has the worst all around visibility as far as my knowledge goes.
  • The car never has given me the feel of BEING IN CONTROL of vehicle.
  • The pick up of the car leaves a lot to be desired unless you wanna be driving till 3rd gear.. what about the top gear momentum at 3500 RPM??
  • The beautiful looking accelerator pedal will actually induce pain in your heels (try it with a drive of around 150 KM)
  • The sexy dashboard is so big that it makes your access to the pedals a bit awry and u need atleast 5'10" to enjoy this car with proper driving posture.

Some good things so that people dont kill me here
Sexy mileage - 16.2 on highway with full AC and 5 people on board. 12.8 in city with single driving and AC.
The SVC is great and it works on all CDs.. though i do miss pause button.
Very decent leg space for passengers.
Females swoon over it

I am in ahmedabad and intend to sell this off very soon..
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:53   #236
BHPian

yes, i do agree that this aint a perfect car. but then which car is ?

1. Civic does lag in visibility in hilly regions. the A pillar can easily hide an on-coming vehicle completely !!! but normal city driving or highway driving seem to be OK.
2. BEING in CONTROL. well, i upgraded from a santro. this car feels as safe as home. the ABS does work well, and the maneuverability at extremely low or high speeds is pretty good. can you explain why you arent happy on this front ?
3. bumper-bumper driving is a pain, with very frequent gear changes. But at above 3.5k rpm, there is plenty of acceleration left.
4. well, i have done 900kms or more in a single day, and was still fresh to go to office to work in the evening [].
5. i am 5'7" and have no issues in the seating posture. but i also wonder how the average shorter japanese drove this in their own country.

6. You forgot the longer wheel base. 4 people and a decently long journey will involve enough luggage in the boot to make the car touch every other badly designed road hump. atleast while getting out and into the city.

but then, if you sell off this car, what would you buy ? corolla is out-dated, the scoda interiors suck, and the Lancers/Cedia seem to be non-existent.
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:24   #237
BHPian

Hmmm...

Well, you opened up a different topic :-)

No car is complete I guess or at least the ones I have seen. I also face the same issues what you have but these are the ones which will get over
with time. (IMHO)

1. I feel the car wraps you around when you sit at the drivers. it is
very comfortable and stable. And everything is within reach. I am
5 11".

2. Visibility is bad, Yesterday I drove during the rains in the night
and I hardly could see a thing for 1 hr. But then later I got adjusted.

3. The brakes were cool and I got a firm handling in the rains.

4. I still hate the horn and my thumb can't reach it.

Not sure which car you would buy in this Segment if you leave out
the Civic :-) Unless you would wait for the Corolla 2008 or the Audi 3.

PS: BUT I HATE MY CAR CLEANER, he is not listening to me. I gave him
the printout of tips from BHP and he didn't take it. :-( :-(

Bye,
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:55   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to know one honest opinion from people around - try enumerating 5 best things you like about your civic and i assume almost 3 of them would be cosmetic in nature.. exterior looks, sexy dashboard, beautifully lit odometer and stuff... what about the actual purpose of a car - driveability???
The most important thing is the IVTEC engine - which sounds so lovely and pulls of so well...
Did I say smooth
Much better build than Corolla
Excellent rear knee space, and no middle floor hump.
Excellent handling
Cars are possessed - and looks does matter

I am ready to celebrate 1st birthday of my car, and the car still puts smile on my face when I sit in it
  • Quote:
    The car has the worst all around visibility as far as my knowledge goes.
It's certainly not as good as an A segment car but which other cars in higher segment are you comparing this with? It's not as bad as you have made it out to be.
  • Quote:
    The car never has given me the feel of BEING IN CONTROL of vehicle.
This car handles extremely well, not sure why you say this.
  • Quote:
    The pick up of the car leaves a lot to be desired unless you wanna be driving till 3rd gear.. what about the top gear momentum at 3500 RPM??
A lot has already been talked about this. The car is little slow to start with, but thats about it, once it starts it fires up. Ever tried speeding from 140 to 170...!!!

Quote:
The beautiful looking accelerator pedal will actually induce pain in your heels (try it with a drive of around 150 KM)
Most high-end luxury cars have this design, never had a problem with that. May be it's the posture you were driving it in.
  • Quote:
    The sexy dashboard is so big that it makes your access to the pedals a bit awry and u need atleast 5'10" to enjoy this car with proper driving posture.
Hey, you have adjustable seat height dude!

Last edited by ST7677 : 23rd July 2007 at 18:56.
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:08   #239
BHPian

hi all
its been gr8 reading on civic.me too gonna be owner of 1.8 V MT civic in a month's time.it is once a life time buy for me as i am a defence officer.i stretched my budget ,but as i am getting almost 2 lakhs cheaper OTR because i m getting through our defence canteen (taxes are exempt),so thought it wud be VFM and a life time buy.need help to decide the color misty violet/silver/black, wat u guys suggest???????? and is GC a big issue or beig careful can help???????????????
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:46   #240
BHPian

Cool

Hey Merains! Advance Congrats

IMHO. The Misty violet looked really cool in the showroom. But when
it was standing outside the showroom and next to my Harbenero Red then I knew that My choice of Red was not bad :-)

Also the Misty violet comes only in the 1.8V model I think, that would mean extra 60K for the leather seats, fog lights etc, which is
definitely VFM compared to S model.

GC is never a big problem if driven Carefully. I am from Bangalore so you can take my word (though some bumps are so bad that even a cycle would have a problem

Good Luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks