Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:41   #241

Dear ST7677

Hearty congratulations on your first anniversary with civic.. and also let me admit that your first review helped me decide to buy a civic rather than lancer cedia.. so thanks for that.

if you look at your top 5 things you got 2 of them in cosmetic category one 1 for rear passenger comfort (which is damn neat in category).. but my point is how much weight you attach to the driveability aspect as compared to the feeling of "possession".. that becomes individual domain and we both can decide to disagree.

I am driving a Skoda Octavia for past week and the visibility is far better than civic.. the A pillar there is not at that obtuse angle where while taking turns one has to raise his neck to see any incoming vehicles.

Believe me I have spent as much money on this car and would not like to make any thing bad out of this vehicle,, however, i would surely try to draw attention to the places where this car sorely lacks and it is not at all a dream machine which actually it appears from outside..(that did me in by the way)

I have earlier stated that my measure of power is "time taken from 50 to 90 kmph in top gear on highways with AC on full blast"... this is where a corolla is way ahead than civic.. post 120 this car rocks,,, i have gone till 160 on expressway... but how many times are u gonna do that??? what you would need on highways is pick up while overtaking small marutis and wagon R...

And yes thanks for that tip of Adjustable height, dint know it existed since last 5 months ... jokes apart, please trust me i would have tried all possible things before expressing my comments and inviting wrath from people like you .

cheers..
Old 24th July 2007, 00:21   #242
Senior - BHPian

I wear shoes when I drive and I've done 450kms+ nonstop. Not had any pain anywhere and I've actually not felt tired.

I agree with the visibility part its not great but I'm sort of used to it, especially the near left end.

Straight line speeds and stability/brakes are excellent. I've turned at around 160kmph and braked also and haven't felt a small twitch as yet. For a car with long wheelbase it doesn't turn like a ship, cornering is excellent.

Yes pickup is slow initially. I have an AT and if I have a light foot the car shifts to 5th around 60kmph. The car revs at 2000 rpm for 100+ kmph. Having a paddle shift helps. :-)

Play with the seat height and reach to get the best position. It took me some time to set it right and I'm 6 ft. Now its set right.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:00   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have earlier stated that my measure of power is "time taken from 50 to 90 kmph in top gear on highways with AC on full blast"... this is where a corolla is way ahead than civic.. post 120 this car rocks,,, i have gone till 160 on expressway... but how many times are u gonna do that??? what you would need on highways is pick up while overtaking small marutis and wagon R...
Why would you want to do 50-90kmph in 5th gear? I am not sure how Corolla handles in that speed range. However since low end torque is less in Civic till 3k RPM, (it's in eco mode) it might be slower, but it's all about slotting it in the right gear. Honda's are known to be rev happy engines. Except initial start, the car is faster than Corolla in every speed range (incl 50-90) provided you have it in the right gear. I have left my friends Corolla behind on number of trials and can say this first hand.

All I can say is that you cannot compare one strength of a car with some other car individually. You need to see it as a holistic package. With Civic, I get good mileage when I am with family and I get excellent power when I am alone. Two opposite traits from one engine.
Further it's suspension is much better and car drives smooth like silk.

I do not suggest Civic to everyone who asks me for advice, each car has a character, and different cars suit different people. It depends on your priorities and your likings.
If CIVIC doesn't suit you it is very much fine, you should change to another car which does. At least you have peace of mind that you will get excellent resale of this car

Quote:
It is not at all a dream machine which actually it appears from outside..(that did me in by the way)
Dream Machine? Now I can understand your frustration... There is no such car as dream machine!
I was driving Audi TT the other day (in US) and there were so many issues I had with that car. Which I will have with pretty much any car. Get real. Next time, please test drive thoroughly and make sure what you buy is meant for you.

Last edited by ST7677 : 24th July 2007 at 11:06.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:19   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and is GC a big issue or beig careful can help???????????????
Merains, let me put it this way. It's not an issues if you generally drive with 2-3 people. But it is definitely an issue if you drive with 5 people and luggage. (My car also carries an additional 100kg of ICE).

Unfortunately, this side of Bangalore has some really bad speed breakers, which you just cannot cross with full load. Even smaller cars scrap their underbelly. You have to cut them diagonally at a very slow speed.

Also let me specifically point this that I have faced issue only with these stupid speed breakers, and not with bad roads. I have done lot of Kuccha Road with full load, but rarely faced problems with that.

Overall, for me the problem is not significant enough for me to get the car raised. Yes it is possible, can be easily done and is reversible.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:24   #245

hi STC,
pleased to meet an ardent spokesperson for CIVIC..

I dont know how did it come across with my "frustration" with civic. you do read a lot of unnecesary things between lines.. Thanks for your suggestion for the test drive next time.. or else i buy cars worth 12-13 lacs just to kill time.. now should i say - "get real"

I hope u shall understand that we are discussing a CAR and not our personal purchase patterns.. kindly limit your comments.

You are surely allowed to defend the vehicle which you adore and i shall still dare to be honest with my negative feedback even though i spent some good money on it..

It sucks
  • in visibility (especially city driving)
  • in power B](top gear only)[/b] as compared to corolla.. though if you own a petrol pump surely keep driving till 3rd gear and it will leave all other cars behind.

It rocks
  • in looks
  • in fuel efficiency (thats why low power in top gear)
  • in maintenance (comparing with Corolla & OHC regular service bills)

and yes... for all it may look like but Ground Clearance has not given me any cause for concern in past 4 months.
Old 24th July 2007, 15:28   #246
Senior - BHPian

Pooshnark, Didn't mean to offend you... friend. sorry for that!
Anyway, looks like we are taking about the same things as pros and cons
Old 25th July 2007, 10:05   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
@ ST7677 - Could you tell me exactly where is the Civic's air intake located? I mean, it looks like its pointed towards the ground.
Any inputs anyone??
Old 25th July 2007, 10:17   #248
Senior - BHPian

SHUVD, haven't opened the hood for quiet a while now.
As far as I remember it is in front of front passenger, just below the bonnet lid.
Old 25th July 2007, 10:21   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
SHUVD, haven't opened the hood for quiet a while now.
As far as I remember it is in front of front passenger, just below the bonnet lid.
Thanks, ST7677. But, thats the location of the "air box". But, where is the actual inlet?
Old 26th July 2007, 09:50   #250
BHPian

Pooshnark,

I like your review. Many of us folk tend to get possessive of our car and the tendency is to write better reviews on your own car. That why it is commendable that you came across with candid feedback. This really helps all who wish to choose ; and as some members have suggested, every car has its pros and cons and it is a matter of choice. Hence it important to expose all the datapoints to everybody so they can exercise their choice.

thanks

Last edited by subbarp : 26th July 2007 at 09:52. Reason: additions
Old 26th July 2007, 09:54   #251
Team-BHP Support

Hey ST7677, Csentil, pooshnark,

Could you guys give some maintenance figures of your services. I know honda has funny service intervals of 1, 3, 6 so by 6months your free service is over.

Also, any parts replaced or any niggling troubles with the car which needed looking into by honda.

What are general service charges and what has been done during those services.
Old 26th July 2007, 10:36   #252
Senior - BHPian

Actually in all these 1,3,6 months free service there is no action required, it is only to go through a checklist that all things are working fine and may be some minor adjustments. So far it has been...

At 9th month there is no service required, but some dealers remind their customer for it (just to make some money I guess)!

I am not sure if any one would have got their paid service done yet. I am due for it this month, but I would be sending it in early August due my busy schedule.

With renewal of my insurance, I am getting 2, Rs.500 worth gift vouchers which I can use against labor charges during the servicing.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:51   #253
Senior - BHPian

No charge for the first 2 services. 3rd service they changed oil. I think that was like 700Rs. or so. I had done almost 6000kms. Other than that everything was free. He said he'll check whether wheel balancing is required, but looks like it was not.

I thought I heard a small creek near the driver's door a couple of times. That was the only problem. I asked them to check it and it doesn't occur anymore.

Yes they asked me to bring the vehicle for service after 3 months. Dunno why so soon. anyways I'll check if its really necessary.
Old 26th July 2007, 14:08   #254
Senior - BHPian

Yes I forgot, Wheel alignment was done for me during first service (Free).
Engine Oil was topped up in 3rd service (charged).
Old 30th July 2007, 07:33   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
You are right in what you said about the scratches resulting out of cleaning done by anybody else but you. I have the 3M Car Detailing Treatment done on my car once in 6 months and I clean my car with chamois only once a week. The treatment is good enough to keep the car gleaming the whole week before it warrants a cleaning during the weekend.
How do I clean on a daily basis. I stay in Rajasthan and it gets pretty dusty. Also especially in rains or even otherwise a lot of KEECHAD (wet mud) gets attatched. Iwill probably have to teach my driver the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks