Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:43   #1021
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
One thing that keeps getting missed out is the ideal size of the Creta, Duster and Terrano. Given the terrible traffic at least in BLR, even if the XUV and the Storme were priced the same as the first 3, I would not buy the latter 2. The XUV is too wide while the Storme is simply too long. Both are a handful in bumper to bumper vicious traffic as well as difficult to maneuver into many MLCP parking bays.

I would prefer a nimble low footprint crossover any day for my use case at least. Looking forward to the TBHP review!
True. In fact, My apartment doesn't have space for anyone to park a bigger car. The biggest you can shove into my parking could be the Creta. There are 100s of such apartments in bangalore. Hence people who are constrained for parking space would choose Creta over the XUV.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:35   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Additionally, I found it interesting that the 60:40 split seats and child seat anchor (don't know what is it) is available only in the AT. Again, I don't know why Hyundai thought these are not applicable to non-AT folks (I am pretty positive that these two feature are not related to the transmission )
When I saw this, err.... "anomaly" (?) at first on the spec sheet some days back, I also shared the same doubt.

The only reason I am able to find is that Hyundai somehow believes that the AT is going to be bought mainly by urban moms with small kids- automatic, rear child seat anchor, reverse camera, high seating position, sophisticated and cute looking car, that passion red and peal beige options on the palette- perfect for the wife to take care of school shuttle duties, isn't it?
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:38   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Like all Indians was doing an analysis on the 'Mileage' Question.

These are the ARAI Certified ratings for Creta in comparison with Verna and Elantra (Since they use the same engines)
  • 1.6-litre Petrol:
    • Creta: 15.29 Km/l
    • Verna: 17.01
    • Elantra: 16.3
  • 1.6-litre Diesel (MT) -
    • Creta: 19.67Km/l
    • Verna: 23.9
    • Elantra: 22.7
  • 1.6-litre Diesel (AT)
    • Creta: 17.01 Km/l
    • Verna: 19.08
    • Elantra: 19.11

The Duster's numbers are similar to the Creta (Slightly higher)

I assume that the better aerodynamics of the sedans enable the higher mileage with the same engines? Is the Creta heavier than the Elantra also?

Also, I think this clarifies why there is no Petrol AT (Apart from the fact that Petrol SUV's are not very popular). With the above number the ARAI rating for a Petrol AT would have been around ~13.

For a generic comparison, the Honda City CVT and the Vento TSI have a ARAI rating around 17-18 and in a city like Bangalore returns and average of 10-11. So considering this and the fact that a Torque Converter is the least efficient of the AT boxes, we would be looking at a City mileage of 7-8 max for a Petrol Creta AT. I don't think anyone would buy that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:57   #1024
BANNED

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2015/07/h...-4m-suv-184675

A sub-4m SUV from Hyundai. This will be the reason why Hyundai showed such an arrogance while pricing Creta.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:00   #1025
BHPian

Duster RXZ110 Plus, vs Creta SX (0):

Pluses of Creta:
  • Brand new, wow factor
  • Better warranty
  • Wider A.S.S.
  • Better Interiors
  • Auto AC
  • Rear Camera
  • Folding ORVM
  • Stop/Start button

Pluses of Duster:
  • Proven ruggedness and ride quality
  • Better comfort for 3 in the backseat (as per initial impressions)
  • Cruise Control
  • Eco Driving Mode
  • Cheaper by about a lakh

The Duster has its own list of features, at a better price point. It is a proven vehicle in terms of ruggedness, seat space and ride quality. Interiors, while improved, are a notch below the Creta. So am not sure if there is a clear winner among the two. What do people think?
anshuman_v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:10   #1026
BHPian

Considering that Duster was already over-priced I was expecting Creta to be priced at part with Duster. XUV, Scorpio and Storme look lot more value for money now compared to Creta. I was seriously considering S-cross as my next upgrade and had a corner of my eye on the Creta but I think that's gone now. I don't think I will be looking at Creta at all now.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:30   #1027
BHPian

I agree with moderators that Creta is value for Money, but i did not understand why would creta not have a SX or S+ in petrol and same way S+ in diesel 1.6. They have mixed their variants in such a way that a buyer is left with no option other than shelling out minimum 13 OTR ( approx in most cities). I am very sure nobody would be interested in buying a car of this nature without single airbags so L and S are ruled out. Being a off roader 1.4 Diesel might be underpowered.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:36   #1028
Senior - BHPian

This is turning out to be the most interesting thread on TBHP in recent times. Infact it reminds me of how we Indians as cricket fans behave when team is winning and then loses one match and everyone starts bashing players, mgmt etc.

Ok OK may not be a very good analogy but thats exactly how this thread is going so far. Personally I believe that assuming Hyundai would place this car against duster/terrano was wrong in the first place. Hyundai mgmt would have been smart enough to see that Indian crowd is a sucker for SUVs now and if cars like Duster with only strength being ride and absolutely no features and interior quality to speak of (no offence intended to Duster owners) sells 3-4K units consistently, they are bound to place Creta above Duster. If i was Hyundai I would also want to be considered premium over a product like Duster. I certainly believe Hyundai did go overboard a bit to get into XUV territory, because we as Indian are sucker for VFM even when spending 50lacs on a car and it would certainly make people question there decision.

Looking forward to a detailed TBHP review. Looking at our current monthly sales numbers, no car in >15lac range does more than 3-4K units per month other than exceptions like Innova. So overall I will be very surprised if Creta can manage more than 4K units per month but that also would be good since I expect Hyundai to have lot of margin on this product.

Last edited by supertinu : 22nd July 2015 at 11:40.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:39   #1029
BHPian

I'm sorry for being a little off topic here, but after seeing the prices for Creta, it is about time that Toyota make things a little more easier (or confusing?) for the customer by launching their Rush.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:42   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Team,

With the "shocker" of the Creta pricing announcement + a full night's rest later, I have decided to go ahead with my purchase - the Creta SX+ Petrol.

Reasons:

1) There is no other GOOD and SENSIBLE petrol option in this segment (not counting EcoSport because it's a mini SUV under 4 meters and whose EcoBoost Titanium (O) petrol is around 11.10 lakhs OTR), other than the Creta SX+, which offers plenty of bang for the buck.
The Dusters don't offer much in their base and mid variants, out of which the mid-variant is overpriced for the equipment it offers, while the Nissan Terrano's sole petrol option is it's mid-variant which is outrageously priced at 10.15 lakhs!! (ex-showroom Delhi).
The Creta SX+, at 11.19 lakhs for the same location, offers plenty of equipment and is decently loaded in the safety front as well. Have a glance at the two competitors and their feature-wise charts, at the end.

2) With the petrol engine size at 1.6L and the length of the car over 4 meters, there were no excise-duty liberties for Hyundai to play with.

3) True, Hyundai could have priced the 1.4L diesel variants a bit lesser, but considering that their 1.4L mill makes 5 PS more power and 24Nm more torque than the equivalent Duster 85PS unit, they went for optimistic pricing, more so due to the overall packages on offer in the Base, S & S+ variants (exclusive to the 1.4L CRDI).

4) It is actually with the 1.6L diesels, where Hyundai has gone too optimistic in their pricing. More so with the SX+ AT, which at first glance doesn't make much sense.
But you have to factor in this - the 6-speed AT in the Creta is the fully-imported one which is doing duty in the Elantra.
They could have gone for the 4-speed Verna unit and priced it a lakh lesser, but it's laudable that they did the right thing and gave this beast the power + transmission it truly deserves.
Not only is this box a pioneer in the segment, but it also costs near about the Scorpio AT's 6-speed unit (which is actually a much older one) at 13.14 lakhs. Although, for a more direct comparison on overall dimensons + features + ease of daily use, the Scorpio AT makes a compelling case for itself over the Creta AT.

5) The SX(O)'s pricing is actually really steep. They could have topped the Creta range within 13 lakhs which might have made the whole lineup look more competitive by knocking off some significant moolah from the top 3 variants - SX+ manual diesel, SX+ AT diesel & SX (O), but since they had already priced the 1.4 diesels a bit higher, going downwards was difficult.

6) There is no justification for the SX(O) manual to encroach upon the XUV 500 W8's range, since the latter belongs to a different segment altogether. This is where Hyundai has blundered big-time. Despite premium fit-and-finish and a whole plethora of features, the Creta is after all a compact SUV and a strict 4+1 seater. It should have been kept down to match the Duster's pricing, give or take 30,000-40,000 more. Hyundai did this with the petrols and the 1.4 diesel Base, S & S+ as best as they could, but lost the plot with the pricing of the 1.6L diesel variants.

BUT, consider this - Renault & Nissan's diesel offerings are 1.5L diesel units, whereas the Creta's top 3 variants have the 1.6L diesel plonked into them. The less than 1500cc duty clause applies to the Nissan/Renault twins, but NOT to the Creta.

Overall, I did some serious re-thinking continuously from the time I returned from the dealership, and my practical mind brought the calculator out. This is my reasoning behind my decision - the Duster's RxL variant and the RxZ variant (both 85 PS & 110 PS diesels) have a price difference of around 1.3 lakhs, give or take a few. If you add this to the Duster petrol RxL price, you end up with ~10.95 lakhs for a possible Duster petrol RxZ variant (which is not on offer right now).

The Creta SX+ is priced at 11.19 lakhs.

The Nissan Terrano's sole petrol option, the mid-variant XL, is pegged at 10.15 lakhs. Factoring the 1.44 lakh price difference between the XL diesel and the XV (top) diesel, and you reach this conclusion - if there was a Terrano XV petrol on offer, it would have been priced at an eye-watering 11.59 lakhs!!

(all pricing is ex-showroom, Delhi)

As someone said earlier in the thread, Hyundai has merely followed what was existing as the (overpriced) market trend. The Duster & the Terrano are ridiculously overpriced, and Hyundai have "matched" them. They could have cut down the prices of the top 3 variants by at least 50,000 to make them more acceptable (a 1 lakh-cut would have shown Nissan & Renault a real mirror on how they are looting their customers), but then, in the real world scenario today, they are justified by their high pricing call for the Creta.

Tomorrow, the Creta might not set the sales charts on fire, but it has an appeal and a feel-good factor which is hard to resist. Something which the Duster or Terrano or EcoSport couldn't ignite in this heart of mine. It ticks most of my requirement boxes (the XUV 500 for all it's VFM worth is still too huge to maneuver through city conditions on a daily basis), and, simply put, has created a soft spot in my heart (which is in overtime mode already!).

As for my particular Creta, the White one I was scheduled to pick up yesterday was allotted to someone else because I had stopped the proceedings and because of heavy, undue pressure on the dealership management (there was a Red on offer as well which I had rejected). A new lot is on the way from the factory with more petrols and more colour options, which will reach my dealership in a week's time. I shall see which one suits me.

Most probably it might turn out to be White again, or maybe the Stardust, or the Beige (I fancy those too as well). Hope the colour/shade choices don't give me more sleepless nights now!

Duster:
Preview: Hyundai Creta-duster.gif

Creta:
Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta.gif

Duster Petrol Specifications: 1598 cc, 104 PS power @ 5850 RPM, 145 Nm torque @ 3750 RPM, 13.05 kmpl (ARAI).

Creta Petrol Specifications: 1591 cc, 123 PS power @ 6400 RPM, 154 Nm torque @ 4850 RPM, 15.29 kmpl (ARAI).

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd July 2015 at 11:43.
RavenAvi is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:45   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_3000ad View Post
- And now for the sad part. The price. Tentative price quoted to me was 13.7 on road for the 1.4 diesel S+ version (Madhya Pradesh). This seems in line with the latest price reveal on the forum which is a bit on the higher side. You do get a lot of car for the price but is it enough?
This is one of those instances where you would be only too happy to be proven wrong though sadly that was not the case.

I still think creta is a great car and it is only because of the ubiquitous duster and our eternal optimism that we are lamenting at the prices.

The creta will still appeal to those looking for a manageable urban runabout and not a behemoth to run other users off the road or get stuck in small bylanes. The convenience of a diesel AT with hyundai's vast A.S.S network cannot be overlooked either. That being said i don't think it is going to set any charts on fire. It will be hunted by the scorpio, ecosport and the duster in the difficult C2 segment and i don't think it has enough party tricks in the bag to come out on trump. I, for one, am waiting to see what number it settles down on once the initial hype and euphoria have died down. I think it will settle around the 3000/month figure. Lets wait and watch. Interesting times ahead for the compact SUV segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Tomorrow, the Creta might not set the sales charts on fire, but it has an appeal and a feel-good factor which is hard to resist. Something which the Duster or Terrano or EcoSport couldn't ignite in this heart of mine. It ticks most of my requirement boxes (the XUV 500 for all it's VFM worth is still too huge to maneuver through city conditions on a daily basis), and, simply put, has created a soft spot in my heart (which is in overtime mode already!).
Exactly my thoughts RavenAvi. I think you've made a good choice for the petrol creta. I think its a great car, suits your requirements and appeals to your heart as well. It did cause some heartburn but i think it will be worth it when you get your hands on one. Cheers.

Last edited by gaurav_3000ad : 22nd July 2015 at 11:51. Reason: Adding additional info
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:49   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suyr View Post
1.6 SX+ AT in Hyderabad would be about 16L on road . Cancelling my booking. My expectation was approx 14.5 Lacs. It seems overwhelming pre-launch response made them greedy.
For me its not such much the price, but the fact that so many features (including crucial safety kits) are missing. In fact, I would not have mided paying more to have a version with all of that -an AT SX(O) so to say. So I am disappointed. I'll probably have to look elsewhere. The proposed XUV 500 AT maybe? I am hoping that will come with a fully kitted W10 trim.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:50   #1033
BHPian

Much has been talked of better experience and ASS of Hyundai. However what i find disappointing is the lack of enthusiasm for Creta shown by the sales person in Hyundai showrooms. Even if i have to buy a Creta , i will do so from Chandigarh. Now since i am an existing customer i keep on getting sms from Ultimate Hyundai in Panchkula. I got one day before about the launch and even after reading the prices in this forum, i wanted to check how much will it cost me in Chandigarh in case i still decide.
I kept on ringing, since i am out of station and nobody even bothered to return the call through out yesterday.
Today, i although being on hold kept waiting and finally got to speak to their sales executive. He was not at all interested in my query, which was about on road prices for Creta SX + Model both petrol and 1.6 CRDI.
He told me the showroom prices which were same as were published ex Delhi on this forum. I repeated, what is the ON ROAD price and he told me add some money approx 8000 for handling / logistics plus around 40000 for insurance and around 1800 for accessories and you will get On Road , price. On inquiring about Road Tax, he says either 6 or 10 %, not very sure, you check yourself. Thank you and phone cut.
What a horrible experience. Does Hyundai think they can really treat a prospective customer like this ? Are they basking on too many bookings ? I am sure that if this is the attitude they will land with a thud.
After reading the prices i was having second thoughts but some very nice discussions have taken place on this forum about why even with this pricing Creta will be a good option and i tended to somewhat look at it favorably . However, i am sure of one thing and that is even if i like the vehicle very much I will not buy if the seller treats me with disdain.

Last edited by nkghai : 22nd July 2015 at 11:53.
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:03   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
With the "shocker" of the Creta pricing announcement + a full night's rest later, I have decided to go ahead with my purchase - the Creta SX+ Petrol.
Firstly, congratulations RavenAVI. Good decision at the end. If I may extrapolate, this is what Hyundai knew exactly. If we were to go through your entire process right from booking till your yesterday's thoughtful night, I think Hyundai has a winner at hand.

White looks royal - my opinion.
petrolveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:07   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
What a horrible experience. Does Hyundai think they can really treat a prospective customer like this ? Are they basking on too many bookings ? I am sure that if this is the attitude they will land with a thud.
After reading the prices i was having second thoughts but some very nice discussions have taken place on this forum about why even with this pricing Creta will be a good option and i tended to somewhat look at it favorably . However, i am sure of one thing and that is even if i like the vehicle very much I will not buy if the seller treats me with disdain.
We have 4 Hyundais in the family, first one bought in 2008. I've been seeing this attitude of Hyundai sales people for very long. Ironically, the attitude is not seller specific, it is car specific. Specifically new launches.

1. The first time I saw this was in early 2011, when the Eon was just launched. I went to a showroom in Kolkata, looking to buy the Eon as a second car for the family. An enthusiastic young lady came to greet me. "Sir, why don't you try the i10, we're running good discounts this month." I said "No, I want to TD the eon". The enthusiasm faded. She got the showroom's driver to accompany me for a TD and disappeared. When I came back, I was handed the a photocopy of the brochure. "No discounts sir, new launch." And she disappeared again. Naturally I didn't consider the Eon after such treatment.

2. Second time was in September 2014, when I decided to buy an Elite i20. Had moved to Delhi by then. Our closest Hyundai showroom - 3 kms from my home - even refused to get a car to my house for TD. Then I went to Samara Hyundai in Janakpuri. They at least gave me proper TDs of both petrol and diesel models. But discounts were a firm no-no. Even loyalty discount was not given to a man who owns 4 Hyundais! Till date no one has given me a proper brochure of the car I paid 8.6 lakhs to buy! All I got was photocopies, stating "Sir, too many queries, too few brochures".

It all boils down to a simple sales philosophy. Give your salesmen targets on old models. Ask them to push old model sales by incentivising them. New launches will sell anyway. As a result, the sales guys show no interest when you call up or visit for new launches.
predatorwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed