Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 13:49   #1051
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

When mini SUVs made an entry to Indian market with likes of Duster and Ecosport, the main idea was to cater to customers with small family who required high GC vehicle, who always dreamt of owning a SUV, road presence at the price point of C2 sedan.

With the pricing of Creta the above idea has not been kept in mind with the prices touching the D1 segment sedan with the likes of Corolla and Elantra.

I would be keen to know the segment of Creta which it falls in.
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:02   #1052
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
I am going ahead with my Red AT. Main reason is the AT only and nothing else.
BNM, back seat ride? Did you by any chance have any family/colleagues who commented from the back seat?
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:07   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I would like to point out after having driven XUV on Bangalore roads for last 3.5 years, that the size has never been an issue on the streets or inside MLCPs. My other car is i10 AT which is quite small in size but I don't get any advantage while driving it in chocked streets of Bangalore. As a matter of fact, in XUV you get relatively less push and shove form fellow drivers on roads.
In my opinion, the size thing is more of a mental block as you may notice that almost all Blore streets are able to accommodate huge Volvo buses.
I have had a Scorpio for last 10 years in Bangalore, and now have a Pajero Sport. I can assure you: the dynamics change when you drive such a vehicle. You never have to squeeze in, the road just opens up. The roads are squeezed by the Auto and Indicab drivers, and they respect the size and keep a safe distance. I have driven extensively, and never faced issues in any MLCP or mall or cinema hall. In fact, when I was buying the Scorpio, I had done a good comparative study. Leaving alone the height, the length and width of the Scorpio was very comparable to a Honda City. And I regularly parallel park in many tight spots around the city.

I would summarize this in two points:
  • Size is a mental issue more than anything else. Do a good study of the length and width of any Sedan with one of these vehicles, you will find an interesting perspective.
  • What matters more than size is the maneuverability - turning radius, lightness and responsiveness of steering. These are the points one should compare against.
anshuman_v is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:09   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Small TD - AT

Anyway I was superbly impressed with the AT and the 1.6 combination. I am going ahead with my Red AT. Main reason is the AT only and nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Team,

With the "shocker" of the Creta pricing announcement + a full night's rest later, I have decided to go ahead with my purchase - the Creta SX+ Petrol.
Congratulations to both of you for the new entrant.

Hard as i may want, have cancelled my booking coz 1.6 SX(O) is priced way beyond my budget and and with a 80 km + daily highway running anything below that is a a compromise.
sids1811 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:19   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Looking at the ARAI figure, I expect you will get max 10 in City driving. I assume this is not a big concern based on your usage and driving patterns? (If I am not mistaken you had booked the diesel earlier-Hence the question)
Thanks, my friend.

My original booking was for the petrol (LINK). We already have 2 cars in our own family, and the Creta will be the 9th car overall in our extended family (Dad, uncles, FIL).

The Creta is more of an impulse buy than anything, since we don't have an SUV to use through the rainy seasons (this place gets plenty of rains and the roads get water-logged and jammed) or to hit the rural areas (where high GC is paramount and my Honda City scrapes almost everytime I hit the village roads). Even in the first-year enthusiastic running period, it won't exceed 10,000 kms in a year, so the need for another diesel car is not felt. Fuel Efficiency is not a paramount concern (our 2012 Honda City used to give 10-12 kmpl inside the city), so any figure near the 10 kmpl mark is more than acceptable for us.

I had briefly toyed with the idea of switching to diesel before the prices were disclosed just for those better FE figures, torque on offer and (possibly) better resale value (the SX diesel was the closest in rupees to the SX+ petrol, but misses out on many goodies). But the Creta won't see many highway jaunts (we have other diesels in the family for that) except for a few where the whole family is headed out (once or twice per year). And, like my Dad so aptly puts everytime this point comes up for discussion, "Why are you thinking of resale value before you have even bought the car?"

Considering the difference between the SX+s of both variants is a steep ~1.52 lakhs (ex-showroom), it makes the decision more easier. OTR difference puts this at around 2500 liters of petrol, which is almost 25,000 kms, or close to 3 years' running of the car!

Not to mention cheaper maintenance as well.

Decision made easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
With the pricing of Creta the above idea has not been kept in mind with the prices touching the D1 segment sedan with the likes of Corolla and Elantra.
The Creta is very much in the C2-segment, as a direct rival to the Duster/Terrano twins.

As for encroaching Elantra territory, I wouldn't agree with that. The Creta SX+ petrol is a full 3 lakh rupees cheaper than the Elantra S petrol, while the Creta SX+ diesel AT is almost 4.5 lakh rupees cheaper than the Elantra SX diesel AT.

Elantra prices:

Preview: Hyundai Creta-elantra.gif

Creta prices:

Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Price Comparison between Creta, Duster & Scorpio. All prices are on-road Mumbai.
Those figures by Motorbeam aren't correct, and paint a different picture for comparison sakes.

Here is the ex-showroom prices of the Creta, Duster & Scorpio in Mumbai:

Duster:

Preview: Hyundai Creta-duster.gif

Creta:

Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta1.gif

Scorpio:

Preview: Hyundai Creta-scorpio.gif

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd July 2015 at 14:30.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:20   #1056
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Price Comparison between Creta, Duster & Scorpio. All prices are on-road Mumbai.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/07/car...ce-comparison/

Preview: Hyundai Creta-111.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-222.jpg
PPS is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:33   #1057
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
BNM, back seat ride? Did you by any chance have any family/colleagues who commented from the back seat?
Unfortunately it was just me and the sales guy. But I sat in the back seat in the showroom car and it is very low and the visibility outside is poor even for me at 5'9". Moreover since the interior is all black, it is kind of gloomy and dark inside especially when you are used to an all beige interior. The front seat driving position is comparable to an Innova with height adjusted to Max position but nowhere near to the XUV or the fortuner.
BNM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:39   #1058
Senior - BHPian

The on-road price of Creta1.6 Diesel SX(O) in Cochin is ₹15,70,421. The on-road price of the same Creta in Bangalore is ₹17,06,801.

Price difference of ₹1,36,380. Darn! If cochin price was prevalent in B'luru, I'd have surely considered the top variant 1.6 diesel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw, does the SX(O) Creta not come with cruise control? I didn't see such switch gear on the steering wheel. Maybe my eyes but I couldn't spot one on the single page, double side printed leaflet also. Is the CC missing?

Last edited by k_ajay : 22nd July 2015 at 14:41.
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:46   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Btw, does the SX(O) Creta not come with cruise control? I didn't see such switch gear on the steering wheel. Maybe my eyes but I couldn't spot one on the single page, double side printed leaflet also. Is the CC missing?
None of the Creta models is having cruise control in it, I had mentioned earlier in one of my posts yesterday that if HMIL was portraying Creta as a premium offering, Cruise Control was much needed.
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:49   #1060
BHPian

Quote:

Creta doesn't have cruise control on any variant
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:55   #1061
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
The on-road price of Creta1.6 Diesel SX(O) in Cochin is ₹15,70,421. The on-road price of the same Creta in Bangalore is ₹17,06,801.

Price difference of ₹1,36,380. Darn! If cochin price was prevalent in B'luru, I'd have surely considered the top variant 1.6 diesel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Off Topic:
Pardon my ignorance but in India how much can we use the cruise control (even on the highways) and at what speed ? I cant remember any stretch I have driven for more than 5 minutes continuously at a constant speed without
1. a dog or a cow or an old woman crossing the highway like walking from the kitchen to a living room
2 a speed hump
3. a stupid tractor / 2 wheeler coming in the wrong direction.

I have driven in the US where it really makes sense there when you cruise at regulated speed limits for extended time periods. I mean no offence but please enlighten me.
BNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:02   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Off Topic:
Pardon my ignorance but in India how much can we use the cruise control (even on the highways) and at what speed ? I cant remember any stretch I have driven for more than 5 minutes continuously at a constant speed without
1. a dog or a cow or an old woman crossing the highway like walking from the kitchen to a living room
2 a speed hump
3. a stupid tractor / 2 wheeler coming in the wrong direction.

I have driven in the US where it really makes sense there when you cruise at regulated speed limits for extended time periods. I mean no offence but please enlighten me.
I have used it multiple times in my Honda City on the Yamuna Expressway and the only times I was off it were the toll plazas, though I must admit that it becomes quite monotonous & boring to drive with it.

Tried it on other highways too but the max you can travel on cruise control is quite limited because of the same multiple factors given by you
sids1811 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:08   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off Topic:
Pardon my ignorance but in India how much can we use the cruise control (even on the highways) and at what speed ?
2 words. Yamuna Expressway.

Jokes apart, I recently had the chance to drive a Cruise Control equipped vehicle on a looongish drive. This had adaptive cruise control, meaning you could adjust speeds in increments of +-2kph. While its true that CC needs to be deactivated after every 5 minutes, it was actually comfortable to give the right foot a little rest and just concentrate on the road. One of those things which one values only once he has them.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:08   #1064
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
With the "shocker" of the Creta pricing announcement + a full night's rest later, I have decided to go ahead with my purchase - the Creta SX+ Petrol.
I'm glad you carefully reconsidered everything after the unexpected pricing announcement, and have made the right decision, RavenAvi!

As I have maintained right from the beginning, Hyundai were wise to offer at least one petrol engine option on the Creta. The 1.6 K4M of the Duster-Terrano twins happens to be the only other petrol engine in this 4m+ segment. Since Renault & Nissan were offering a 1.6 liter petrol engine with 104 PS, it was a no-brainer for Hyundai to provide the 1.6 Gamma dual VTVT with 123 PS on the Creta.

You're getting the same variant as you initially planned for, with the same number of gears, and about the same number of horses too. The 1.6 U2 CRDi may have more torque, but the 1.6 Gamma dual VTVT makes up for that with its extremely linear & punchy power delivery (without turbo-lag) and additional refinement (over the diesel, which already provides superb refinement).

Hyundai have wisely mated the 1.6 Gamma with a 6-speed MT, instead of the 5-speed one on the Verna. This should give it even better performance all through the gears. On the highway, it should have superb cruising ability thanks to its very tall 6th gear, with plenty of power in reserve (thanks to the 123 gasoline-drinking horses).

The only area where the 1.6 U2 would shine over the 1.6 Gamma would be fuel efficiency. But I guess your average usage is quite less, and you do have a diesel car in the form of the City.

I guess if one's heart and mind are already set on something, then it's better to proceed with it after making the necessary adjustments (like you've done by swapping fuels). Congratulations!

While quite a few people may have cancelled their bookings, I think Hyundai would still be able to find enough customers for the Creta. The Duster-Terrano twins are the only direct rivals to the Creta, to be joined soon by the S-Cross. Since there will only be 3 or 4 products in this segment (depending on how one looks at Duster & Terrano) for the foreseeable future, I think each one of them will find enough buyers to meet (or come close to) their manufacturers' sales targets.

Creta has an advantage over the Duster-Terrano twins & S-Cross in this segment by being the only one with a diesel AT and the only one offering 6 airbags + ESP, and over the S-Cross by offering a petrol engine option.

They should maximise this advantage by making the diesel AT available in S+ and SX(O) trims additionally, the petrol engine in S+ trim additionally, and by providing a driver airbag on the L & S variants.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:19   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Had a TD of the creta. Was super impressed with the NVH levels and the power on tap. However I wasn't very happy with the ride quality. The rough patches and potholes were clearly felt inside the cabin. I mean it just doesn't glide thru' the rough patches (little gravel exposed road) without unsettling the passengers. The steering is super light at parking speeds. I hope it weighs up as the speed builds up. Did not have the Chance to go for a longish TD.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed