Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:24   #1066
BNM
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
2 words. Yamuna Expressway.

Jokes apart, I recently had the chance to drive a Cruise Control equipped vehicle on a looongish drive. This had adaptive cruise control, meaning you could adjust speeds in increments of +-2kph. While its true that CC needs to be deactivated after every 5 minutes, it was actually comfortable to give the right foot a little rest and just concentrate on the road. One of those things which one values only once he has them.
Another noob question. Dosen't having CC on the AT make more sense than the MT. For example if you have switched on the CC at 60 KMPH and then you encounter a steep incline, wouldn't you have to change the gear in the MT while the AT does it automatically and control the acceleration and gear change even after you pass the incline ?
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:26   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Another noob question. Dosen't having CC on the AT make more sense than the MT. For example if you have switched on the CC at 60 KMPH and then you encounter a steep incline, wouldn't you have to change the gear in the MT while the AT does it automatically and control the acceleration and gear change even after you pass the incline ?
Difficult to answer, since I haven't driven a vehicle equipped with both AT and CC. However, CC deactivates when you press either the brake or clutch. Upon seeing the incline, one would naturally press the brakes, and CC would be deactivated.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:29   #1068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks, my friend.

My original booking was for the petrol (LINK).
Congratulations and I feel thats a very good decision. The prices which I had got earlier had tempted me to try for SX(O) but after thinking a lot and discussing with my brother, had zeroed down on SX+ petrol. This is still in consideration as I'm planning for next year, maybe post Auto Expo. Petrol is a very sensible option for people with lesser running.

I'm happy that you are taking petrol SX+. Now I can just sit back and relax and just follow your ownership thread.

Please do inform me when your ownership thread comes live.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:32   #1069
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Difficult to answer, since I haven't driven a vehicle equipped with both AT and CC. However, CC deactivates when you press either the brake or clutch. Upon seeing the incline, one would naturally press the brakes, and CC would be deactivated.
I have driven with CC option only on the AT. And it does everything possible - upshifts/downshifts but maintains the speed no matter what you encounter on the road until you press the brakes. I think we will leave this topic here lest the moderators get upset.
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:40   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Delhi Pricing

- Zero negotiations on essential kit and insurance (take it or leave it)
- 1 month waiting

Checked outside for open insurance, the quote is at 48% of the price quoted by Hyundai dealer (one can assume 50% difference)
Attached Thumbnails
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150722_133354239.jpg  

Last edited by i74js : 22nd July 2015 at 15:42.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:43   #1071
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore price-list in PDF format attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bangalore Advaith Hyundai Price List w.e.f. 21 07 15.pdf (48.0 KB, 1591 views)
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 15:44   #1072
BANNED

Quote:

Yes it does but having said that Europe is full of cars with CC and MT. I have driven both quite a bit, AT as well as MT with CC.

I often hit 120 or 130, and just leave it on cruise control in the top gear. Sometimes you can drive a couple of hundred kms without changing a gear, but most of the time, at least 50-100.

Any CC is pretty useless in India, at least in the way it is used abroad.

Last edited by kumar2007 : 22nd July 2015 at 15:46.
kumar2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:19   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids1811 View Post
None of the Creta models is having cruise control in it, I had mentioned earlier in one of my posts yesterday that if HMIL was portraying Creta as a premium offering, Cruise Control was much needed.
OK, thanks for that. I seem to have missed that post or forgot reading it. So much for a Perfect SUV tag.

Quote:
Off Topic: I have driven in the US where it really makes sense there when you cruise at regulated speed limits for extended time periods. I mean no offence but please enlighten me.
I'm not so awakened myself to enlighten others, so I'll just share. Your statement about it's probable usage conditions has merit but the notion that all Indian Highways has dogs, cattle and grandmas running onto the road, isn't. I've driven Blr-Mum and back once and there were many, many stretches where I was just on with the accelerator with very little traffic on the roads and roads considerably empty, for straight long stretches. Even if not empty, certainly maneuvering safely around the other vehicles plying on the road is not impossible. Even on many long routes in TN. Many places where this feature can be used. This is a comfort feature that is there to give rest for our right feet when required and when it's possible to use. I hope you know there is no rule that admonishes us from using it even for brief periods and appreciates usage over long periods.

There may be several other features that I seldom to never use nor have observed my friends/colleague use. I never have changed the adjustable headrests in my car/my seat. I never keep touching the different textures and feel of materials of the dash, to find out if they are soft or remain soft. But for so many this is important. Why? With most cars coming with rear camera these days, I hardly have seen anyone change their orvm's position, so why the need for electric mirror adjustment feature. Led position lamps. Roof rails. I could go on and on.. Why not we just discard these 'of little or infrequent use' features?

For these points also, I'm aware of the response I will get for it justifying its need/presence. Car may be driven by multiple people. God knows. For you/them, it may be a feature you want/need to be available so you can use it if and when required. Even if it is once in a lifetime. Same logic - Cruise control. I intend to take such a vehicle on the highways more often (reason for a good Diesel) and CC will certainly help in parts rather it being completely absent. That's all I got to share.
k_ajay is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:47   #1074
BHPian

We're going to be taking a lengthy test drive of the Creta over the weekend and will book soon, bringing an end to our 4 year search.

Till then,
Autocar shares their review of the Creta. It is actually an edited version of the preview.

Atleast we get some nice pictures. They seem to be taken at the test track, so it beats me how they clicked them.

LINK(and more exclusive photos)

Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta1.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta2.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta3.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta4.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta5.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-creta6.jpg
Turbo_asd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:56   #1075
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I would like to point out after having driven XUV on Bangalore roads for last 3.5 years, that the size has never been an issue on the streets or inside MLCPs. My other car is i10 AT which is quite small in size but I don't get any advantage while driving it in chocked streets of Bangalore. As a matter of fact, in XUV you get relatively less push and shove form fellow drivers on roads.
In my opinion, the size thing is more of a mental block as you may notice that almost all Blore streets are able to accommodate huge Volvo buses.
I have to agree with Acharya on this point. My earlier car prior to the XUV was a Chevy Optra Magnum TCDI (a fantastic muscle car which I parted ways with a heavy heart) and I find the XUV more maneuverable and easier to drive in the streets of Bangalore. I guess the higher seating position is an advantage and I have no complaints about driving around my XUV in Bangalore. As Acharya mentioned, it is nice to see other vehicles giving you way once they see what is behind or next to them .
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:17   #1076
BHPian

For me the pricing is a bit high so Creta is not on my buying list. Going above 10L for petrol opens up many options. I think the product is good though and for many who are well off it will also be a second or third vehicle. At 15-16L I would rather go with a pre-owned proper SUV such as Fortuner. It is still a benchmark in reliability and from the information on the forum may be cheaper to maintain that the Creta. I think Hyundai has too many variants which can confuse certain potential buyers and this is no exception. S(O), SX+ etc etc with engine variants is a hard job deciding what to look at let alone buy. Choices galore!

Had a chance to see S-cross in flesh today as they had a display set up in Cyber Park in Gurgaon where I work. Looks better than in pictures. 1.6 top model in Brown was on display and it looked decent. Interiors are clutter free and well put together. The salesmen had a tough time answering queries as there was a mini crowd present comparing Fortuner, Duster and even Xest with what is on offer! Did not hear anyone mention Creta at all which was strange. 8-12L is what they are also saying. No test drives as yet but they will inform when this is available. New Nexa showroom has opened in Sikanderpur to cater to this one. My personal reading was that MSIL priced it low and now seeing Creta they will upscale the bands. Good for me as a shareholder but bad as I also want to buy one!
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:22   #1077
BANNED

The problem with bigger vehicles is not on the move on the road. People will give way for you.

It is when we need to park it in tight parking bays and spots, or taking u-turns on narrow or busy roads, the size will cause issues. IMO, an ideal vehicle for today's city roads is a sub 4m SUV having high seating position, with a 200mm GC and width of 1600m.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:34   #1078
BHPian

Took a test drive of the SX+ Petrol and the SX(O) diesel today. Some inputs:

1) The petrol engine is refined, and no doubt peppy, but it didn't really amaze me. It's a fine engine, and revs happily, and i expect it is just as good if not slightly better than any other petrol in the class. Well refined, and little to no noise or vibrations heard/felt in the cabin. Gearshifts are smooth and quick.

2) The Diesel engine really got me excited! The turbo really pushes you back into the seat. The first two gears did have a bit of turbo lag, but this wasn't so noticeable in the higher gears. Even at the lower RPMs the engine was very willing to pull. The noise and vibrations were practically non existant! Infact if it wasn't for the CRDI badge and the turbo, you could easily mistake it for a petrol! And for some reason it felt a little smoother than the petrol (don't ask me how lol). I didn't really notice any vibrations on the pedals as was pointed out earlier in the thread.

3) The SX(O) interiors really feel plush and premium because of the leather trims. The SX+ not so much. While you can get a leather kit for the seats aftermarket, I dont think you can suit up the doors very easily. The SX+ doesn't feel as premium as its been made out to be.

4) The audio output on both are the same (same system) and quite decent, but if you are an audiophile, you will definitely want to improve it. More than sufficient for normal users like me.

5) The AVN screens take a little getting used to - i was easily lost in all the menus. Will need to study the manual to understand this. Navigation does have voice guidance, but the turn guidance got lost in the music that was playing. Barely heard the lady! Must be a setting for this.

6) The supervision cluster isn't really helpful, apart from perhaps reminding you of service intervals. The other options like setting the follow me timer, are setting your would tweak once and forget forever. As far as I could find, there was no option which gives you average fuel consumption - neither instantaneous or trip average. The only metric that was present was the average speed on the trip, apart from the regular metrics. Maybe I needed to dig deeper to find fuel consumption, but as far as i can tell there is no provision for this.

7) Rear legroom is very ample! I was alone today so I can't comment on the 3-abreast comfort on the rear bench.

8) I'm 5'6" and has absolutely no issues driving this car. Can see the hood easily and judgement sets in very quickly.

9) The drive of the car is surprisingly light. Sitting inside, it feels like a small car, quick on the wheel and doesn't at all feel heavy. From the outside it does have a commanding appeal although not Fortuner commanding. The steering is light, making it quick and zippy on city roads, but might need a tight grip at higher speeds on the highways.

10) The rear camera has a good view, and the dynamic guidelines do a good job helping you park, although personally, I still don't trust them. I've been parking cars looking over my shoulder and peeking in mirrors all my life, so it will take a lot of getting used to.

11) The test drive did involve a lot of bumpy roads and potholes. The Creta has no problem negotiating bad roads at all. The suspension felt to be on the stiff side, but it was very comfortable on potholes, even relatively big ones!

My test drives weren't as detailed or long as I would have wanted them to be (long line of people waiting for TDs), but these are what I could infer from what I did experience on the cars. Hope it helps prospective buyers.
vivekh15 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:49   #1079
BHPian

It is "Deja Vu" all over again for me, regarding the pricing of Creta ! 6 years back, I had same kind of anticipation for Honda Jazz launch, waited with a budget of under 7 lakhs and got disappointed. Finally went for Figo TDCi Titanium, which I do not regret till date !

I was hoping to go for SX+ Diesel with a budget of 15 L with some stretching. But with the Bangalore OTR, even SX is breaching my budget. How much I wish I can buy it in Kochi where I plan to be for another one year....I still haven't given up on Creta. Would go for a look this weekend, have test drive once the long waiting is over. By that time the trusted T-BHP review would come and I will make my decision whether to settle for SX or look for other options.
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:06   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Took a TD of the SX(o) diesel, and the SX+ Petrol, the diesel is far better than the petrol. Both dealers in Pune have not received an automatic as yet, I will reserve my judgement till I get to test drive the AT. Suspension is quiet firm, not boat like in the Verna, the steering is better too.
The dealer being an acquaintance had not banked my cheque, and was eager to do so, but I have stopped him, saying I'm not confirming any thing till I test drive the AT.

@BNM replying to #1066 many of the gradients on highways can be taken in the highest gear without down shifting, out here CC is great, I have driven my friends XUV500 with CC from Pune to Mumbai, and pune to Kolhapur, except for a few stretches where CC cannot be used ie Ghat, as long as you stay at about 80-90 where you have adequate momentum, and engine RPM is in the torque band in 6th, and you are also not too fast to have to brake, CC is quiet usable.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks