Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 13:57   #31
BHPian

Re: A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Mohit, I am assuming that in your case budget is really not a constraint since you can stretch upto 45L. I went in for the MSport over the Xdrive X line for the following features: Navigation Maps, Head Up display, Pure Leather seats with the added thigh support and of course the cool looking alloys and steering wheel. Based on my experience, the Head Up display is really cool and worth having. It is not only informative, but keeps your eyes on the road as well. I haven't really had an opportunity to go on an off-road (besides GC is just 165mm and it is no off-roader), but the AWD is really helpful in normal conditions as well. I haven't driven the S drive, but AWD makes the drive feel as close to a traditional rear wheel drive Bimmer. So in case of driving pleasure as well the Xdrive would be better than the S drive. IMHO, if you can you should stretch and get the MSport. You will not regret the experience
Thanks a bunch nurni76. It's a tough call and I still haven't made up my mind. I called all 3 BMW dealerships in the NCR to find out if they can get me the M Sport in Mineral white with Mocha interiors.

Deutsche refused that Mocha is not in production at all. Libra said that there is one that will be rolling out of the factory in the last week of September and Bird said the same thing. I won't be getting any discount if I get this since they are more keen to push the ones they have in stock. And I don't want to wait for over 7-8 weeks to get the delivery.

My one big reason for going for the M Sport was the Mocha interiors and now it seems I can't get that.

So really unsure whether I should go for the M sport or sDrive since I can buy a new Swift/i20 for the difference.
Old 27th August 2016, 11:50   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohittater View Post
Thanks a bunch nurni76. It's a tough call and I still haven't made up my mind. I called all 3 BMW dealerships in the NCR to find out if they can get me the M Sport in Mineral white with Mocha interiors.

My one big reason for going for the M Sport was the Mocha interiors and now it seems I can't get that.

So really unsure whether I should go for the M sport or sDrive since I can buy a new Swift/i20 for the difference.

Mocha interiors was also the preferred choice for me. However the dealer associate mentioned the same thing that these interiors are rare as India mostly prefers beige. Mineral White and Mocha would be the best combination, but beige is not that bad. The only issue is maintenance as it is prone to dirt. Also Mineral white is only available in Msport. I would still say Msport is worth the money, of course Color choice is a personal choice.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 12:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Mohit, I am assuming that in your case budget is really not a constraint since you can stretch upto 45L. I went in for the MSport over the Xdrive X line for the following features: Navigation Maps, Head Up display, Pure Leather seats with the added thigh support and of course the cool looking alloys and steering wheel. Based on my experience, the Head Up display is really cool and worth having. It is not only informative, but keeps your eyes on the road as well. I haven't really had an opportunity to go on an off-road (besides GC is just 165mm and it is no off-roader), but the AWD is really helpful in normal conditions as well. I haven't driven the S drive, but AWD makes the drive feel as close to a traditional rear wheel drive Bimmer. So in case of driving pleasure as well the Xdrive would be better than the S drive. IMHO, if you can you should stretch and get the MSport. You will not regret the experience
Quote:
Mocha interiors was also the preferred choice for me. However the dealer associate mentioned the same thing that these interiors are rare as India mostly prefers beige. Mineral White and Mocha would be the best combination, but beige is not that bad. The only issue is maintenance as it is prone to dirt. Also Mineral white is only available in Msport. I would still say Msport is worth the money, of course Color choice is a personal choice.
Thanks nurni. I went ahead and finally booked the sDrive xLine. Will be taking delivery on my birthday on September 14.

What tilted my decision in favor of the xLine variant is that the price difference of 7 lakhs between the sLine xDrive and M Sport was too much for me to swallow. And on top of that, the M Sport still didn't have reverse camera, front parking sensors and Mocha interiors that I wanted.

This is my first luxury car and I will most probably be upgrading in a couple years. And when I go to sell it in 2-3 years, I am sure I would not get much extra for the M Sport over sDrive xLine. Will get a proper SUV that time.
Old 29th August 2016, 21:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks nurni. I went ahead and finally booked the sDrive xLine. Will be taking delivery on my birthday on September 14.

This is my first luxury car and I will most probably be upgrading in a couple years. And when I go to sell it in 2-3 years, I am sure I would not get much extra for the M Sport over sDrive xLine. Will get a proper SUV that time.

Hi Mohit, congrats on your booking. Looks like you made a really well thought out decision and listened to your mind. What Color did you choose? Do post a detailed review once you get your car with a lot of pictures. Welcome to the club!
Old 4th September 2016, 11:50   #35
BHPian

Finally got the rubber floor mats for my X1 as complimentary from the dealer. This was promised within 2 weeks of delivery and now got the same after 2 months. Also had a small issue with the rear seat arm rest. There is a storage area and the hinge of the lid of the same was loose and coming off. A 2 minute work by the dealer set it right. Surprised that this part was so loosely fit for such a premium car

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472969979.732347.jpgA tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-imageuploadedbyteambhp1472969995.713731.jpg
Old 4th September 2016, 12:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mohit, congrats on your booking. Looks like you made a really well thought out decision and listened to your mind. What Color did you choose? Do post a detailed review once you get your car with a lot of pictures. Welcome to the club!

Thanks a lot! I chose Mineral white with beige interiors. Will definitely post pictures once I take delivery of the car in September 14, which is my birthday as well!

I am told the rubber mats cost somewhere around rs. 7000. Should i go for them or ask them to give it complimentary? Any other accessories you went for , like mud flaps etc ?
Old 5th September 2016, 10:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot! I chose Mineral white with beige interiors. Will definitely post pictures once I take delivery of the car in September 14, which is my birthday as well!

I am told the rubber mats cost somewhere around rs. 7000. Should i go for them or ask them to give it complimentary? Any other accessories you went for , like mud flaps etc ?
Cool, so gifting yourself a car on your birthday! Wonderful! Surprised to know that there is Mineral White in S Drive as well. My dealer mentioned Mineral White only comes in M Sport. Their latest brochure on the site also mentions the same. Check this link out
http://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/ma...t_BMW%20X1.pdf

You should definitely ask for the floor mats as complimentary, why would you not? I have not gone for any other accessories other than the Floor Mats that I got for free. Mud flaps may be useful but try and get those as complimentary if possible
Old 5th September 2016, 10:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

The website mentions that the M-sport variant comes with M-Suspension. I think that would sum up the big difference between X-Line and M-sport.
Do check with your dealer.
Old 5th September 2016, 11:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Cool, so gifting yourself a car on your birthday! Wonderful! Surprised to know that there is Mineral White in S Drive as well. My dealer mentioned Mineral White only comes in M Sport. Their latest brochure on the site also mentions the same. Check this link out
http://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/ma...t_BMW%20X1.pdf

You should definitely ask for the floor mats as complimentary, why would you not? I have not gone for any other accessories other than the Floor Mats that I got for free. Mud flaps may be useful but try and get those as complimentary if possible
My bad. It was Alpine White. I always get confused between Alpine White and Mineral White. Will definitely ask for the mats and mud flaps as complimentary.
Old 7th September 2016, 21:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Waiting for the run in period to end to test the engine to its limits. However I am yet to find the optimal driving position. I had a lot of knee and hip pain after the drive. Guess I need to get used to the different height and angles compared to my Ertiga.....
I am informed by my SA that these segment vehicles do not have a run in period, heard that from some other international user forums too.

Curious to know about the knee and hip pain after the drive. I remember doing a 800 kms non stop drive in my old Fiesta without any body fatigue. Are the seats pushed close to the dash ? Is the steering kept at a higher position ?

Since I was too busy with my company incorporation and related documents, I hardly got time to take my interest to the next level. This month I have decided to take the delivery. Also took a TD of the GLA last week, I really like the design but the big drawback was the lower ceiling which makes one feel very claustrophobic. X1 has the additional advantage of being a Diesel, generating more power, having auto AC, rear vents, start button, extra head room, more space, completely useful boot (spare not eating up) etc.

My only complaint: Why did they avoid the rear camera ? I saw it in some global models. My SA is also not sure if they can fit it as an accessory. I prefer to have it as a priority addition.

Last edited by shajufx : 7th September 2016 at 21:15.
Old 7th September 2016, 23:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The website mentions that the M-sport variant comes with M-Suspension. I think that would sum up the big difference between X-Line and M-sport.
Do check with your dealer.
Yes that's another feather in the cap of the Msport and it shows in the handling as well

Quote:
My bad. It was Alpine White. I always get confused between Alpine White and Mineral White. Will definitely ask for the mats and mud flaps as complimentary.
Yes thought so, though Alpine White is a good Color as well. Waiting to see your ownership review and pictures as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am informed by my SA that these segment vehicles do not have a run in period, heard that from some other international user forums too.

Curious to know about the knee and hip pain after the drive. I remember doing a 800 kms non stop drive in my old Fiesta without any body fatigue. Are the seats pushed close to the dash ? Is the steering kept at a higher position ?

My only complaint: Why did they avoid the rear camera ? I saw it in some global models. My SA is also not sure if they can fit it as an accessory. I prefer to have it as a priority addition.

Yes I reconfirmed the same with my SA who mentioned that there is no run in period, but just that I intend to go slow till around 5K kms. As regards the hip and knee pain, it was probably due to not being used to the vehicle having for a long time driven the Ertiga. Of late I don't face any pain and probably have found the optimal position and have set it in memory as well. Steering has been set to the lowest position.

I agree that reverse camera is a real miss, but I haven't faced issues with it. The reverse parking sensors do a good job. Cruise control miss is unacceptable. Still with these misses, it is any day better than GLA and Q3 in my books.
Old 13th September 2016, 13:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I reconfirmed the same with my SA who mentioned that there is no run in period, but just that I intend to go slow till around 5K kms.
I may stand corrected on the above point, just happened to read the international manual and below lines were noticed towards the end (it would be great if someone can reconfirm similar points in the Indian booklet)

Break-in Period : 500 to 2000 kms : Instructions to avoid full load and kick down acceleration

Ground Clearance is not more than 20cm (200mm) and it may vary based on the load : This is something completely different from what we are informed that the X1 has 165mm GC and it will not vary based on weight as commented by Sales Team. If this line is true, I will be super happy because that was the only negative I used to crib about !

EcoPro Efficiency Display : Blue line indicates efficient driving style. Grey line suggests adjustments in the driving style to get optimum values.

Hari, if you could check your manual and see similar points, please confirm. Some of the above points are explained here differently!
Old 13th September 2016, 16:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Hari, if you could check your manual and see similar points, please confirm. Some of the above points are explained here differently!
You are right on Eco Pro. There is a blue display when you are driving in the right range. In my case when the car was moving beyond 2K RPM (8th gear) the blue changed to grey indicating that it was not running efficiently

On GC, there was a similar discussion on another thread. I have reconfirmed with the SA, who said that for India, it is 165mm. There is no mention of the GC anywhere in the manual, that I could figure out. Also at 165mm, I have not faced any issues in any of the humps in Bangalore (may be because of the stiffer M Suspension)

As mentioned, I am following the Run in guidelines anyways and will do so till 5K kms.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th September 2016 at 17:54. Reason: As requested
Old 13th September 2016, 16:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I may stand corrected on the above point, just happened to read the international manual and below lines were noticed towards the end (it would be great if someone can reconfirm similar points in the Indian booklet)

Break-in Period : 500 to 2000 kms : Instructions to avoid full load and kick down acceleration

Ground Clearance is not more than 20cm (200mm) and it may vary based on the load : This is something completely different from what we are informed that the X1 has 165mm GC and it will not vary based on weight as commented by Sales Team. If this line is true, I will be super happy because that was the only negative I used to crib about !

EcoPro Efficiency Display : Blue line indicates efficient driving style. Grey line suggests adjustments in the driving style to get optimum values.

I would not think the GC is more than 180 mm. Though the SA stated its 165 mm, but the point to keep in mind is that it's measured from the lowest point of the car which is usually the front bumper.

Me thinks the best way to find out is to actually just measure it manually. I might do it once I get delivery tomorrow.

As for the run in, my SA advised me that there is no need for run in and I can drive as I wish from day one.

Run in was needed for older generation cars but not anymore as he told me.
Old 13th September 2016, 18:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....the best way to find out is to actually just measure it manually. I might do it once I get delivery tomorrow......Run in was needed for older generation cars but not anymore as he told me.
Please do that as I can not ask Hari to do it, because his MSport kit may vary on the GC. Agree on the run-in exercise that was required for all the older generation cars, but my previous points were taken from the 2016 X1 US manual. So, there must be something. Other than stripping down many features, multiple choice of colors and the top quality double stitched leather seats, I don't think there are any other differences from the global version.

Hari, please don't kick us out of your ownership thread, we are parked here because we don't have another official review thread yet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks