Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 15:04   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Some questions:
1. The side profile of 55 seems higher. Ideal was 50 (for R17). Wouldn't this reduce suspension travel and alter camber angle? Any reason you didn't go for 235/50/R17?
I have already mentioned it in my post;
Quote:
Kindly note this upsize has a Diameter Variance of only 0.07%.
Quote:
2. With the added width of tire, will the existing alloys suffice?
Every wheel has a maximum as well as minimum tyre it should accommodate. The Seltos' wheel being a 7.5J can accommodate a max width of 235mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
Taking liberty to answer the 1st question. OEM size is 215/60/R17. With side profile 235/50 the difference in circumference would be 3.3% less than OEM, causing more issues. With side profile 235/55, the difference is just 0.07%. which is negligible change in circumference, negligible error in odometer and speedometer.
Thanks
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 20:06   #152
BHPian

Got it. I made the wrong calculation. Assumed the original size was 215/55 but it's 215/60. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!
Vibhanshu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:10   #153
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update Karan.

My dealer informed me that the Michelin Primacy ST4 (205/60/R16 - for my Ford ES) I purchased in August 2020 (the Corona era) was the final batch and that Michelin PCR tyres cannot be imported. Has this problem now been resolved or is it been manufactured locally?
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:45   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Update: New Tyres (Upsized);

Michelin Primacy 4ST Tyres (Size 235/55 R17);
These are Feb 2022 manufactured and were installed couple of months back (May 2022)

It will be fair to say that finally my GT Line has the shoes to match its nomenclature
Karan can you please also mention the cost of tyre set?

OFF TOPIC-
Can you recommend which size to upgrade Hector ‘s 215/60/R17
Tanmay_868 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:57   #155
Senior - BHPian

Hi Karan. I have the same set of tires albeit different in the dimension for my Brezza.

Michelin surely does bring a whole world of difference to the driving experience. One major highlight is the road noise the earlier Apollo Alnac’s were producing on highway (cement roads especially) similar to that of loaded trucks. Michelin has muted the entire road noise which was so satisfying to me as a driver.

With respect to the grips, I’m not too heavy on corners but have seen good grips on braking front for sure. I like when the tires sneak a bit outside the wheel arches (a tad bit) and your Seltos looks butch in those pics. A good tire set and a nice complementing alloys changes the stance of the car so massively

Last edited by gururajrv : 26th July 2022 at 12:58.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 16:18   #156
BHPian

Quote:

A very exciting update for this thread and an upgrade which I wanted to do since the time I bought the car is finally done;

Attachment 2337928

Michelin Primacy 4ST Tyres (Size 235/55 R17);
I'm also using same tyres in 205/60-R16 size on my WR-V Diesel. Earlier I was using the Primacy 3ST which came with car from the factory, replaced them at 71k kms. This new set of Primacy 4 I got back in June, 2020 and have done about 35k kms.
Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-sun_2406-2.jpg

Our Seltos HTX Diesel came with Goodyear assurance tyres and I don't like them. I will replace them with Michelin once Goodyear completes their life.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:39   #157
BHPian

Michelin tyres definitely bring a noticeable positive difference to the ride quality and road noise. We replaced our 50k run OEM tyres on our Ecosport with Michelin Primacy 4ST in Feb-22 and could immediately notice the difference in ride quality even at the same tyre pressure figures.

Even though I haven't noticed any difference in the fuel economy, the bumps in our society basement give an immediate comparison between the earlier set of tyres and these new ones, as going over them now feels much less jerkier than what it used to be.
Revvman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:44   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post
Michelin tyres definitely bring a noticeable positive difference to the ride quality and road noise. We replaced our 50k run OEM tyres on our Ecosport with Michelin Primacy 4ST in Feb-22 and could immediately notice the difference in ride quality even at the same tyre pressure figures.

Even though I haven't noticed any difference in the fuel economy, the bumps in our society basement give an immediate comparison between the earlier set of tyres and these new ones, as going over them now feels much less jerkier than what it used to be.
I have also upgraded Ertiga from Bridgestone to Michelin Primacy 4ST. The comfort difference is same like between Formal Shoe vs Nike Air sport shoes.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:48   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post

OFF TOPIC-
You can go for the same 235/55R17 like Karan or you could try 225/60R17 which is narrower than Karan’s upgraded setup but is a little taller
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 22:05   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Thanks for the update Karan.

My dealer informed me that the Michelin Primacy ST4 (205/60/R16 - for my Ford ES) I purchased in August 2020 (the Corona era) was the final batch and that Michelin PCR tyres cannot be imported. Has this problem now been resolved or is it been manufactured locally?
Thanks RGK ! These are Imported (Thailand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
Karan can you please also mention the cost of tyre set?
INR 14,250/Tyre.
Quote:

OFF TOPIC-
I believe Rubber Guru has answered your query on my behalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Hi Karan. I have the same set of tires albeit different in the dimension for my Brezza.
Thanks for sharing your experience Gururaj.

Quote:
Michelin surely does bring a whole world of difference to the driving experience. One major highlight is the road noise the earlier Apollo Alnac’s were producing on highway (cement roads especially) similar to that of loaded trucks. Michelin has muted the entire road noise which was so satisfying to me as a driver.
Yes it does. This is a point I forgot to cover in my review post. Its True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiPilaniya View Post

Our Seltos HTX Diesel came with Goodyear assurance tyres and I don't like them. I will replace them with Michelin once Goodyear completes their life.
Do it Soon while the suspension is still fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post

Great to know, thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
You can go for the same 235/55R17 like Karan or you could try 225/60R17 which is narrower than Karan’s upgraded setup but is a little taller

Last edited by karan561 : 26th July 2022 at 22:11.
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 00:27   #161
BHPian

Quote:

Every wheel has a maximum as well as minimum tyre it should accommodate. The Seltos' wheel being a 7.5J can accommodate a max width of 235mm.
Just a small correction - the Seltos' 17" wheels are of 6.5J width and not 7.5J, but yes you're right, they can accommodate a max width of 235/55.
Old 27th July 2022, 09:25   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Seltos was always a great handling car, thanks to the overall tuning of the suspension (being on the stiff side), chassis & also the drive modes which gave good steering feel when in Sport Mode. Now with this upsize & great rubber has unlocked that hidden potential of this Kia.
I fully agree here and can relate to most things you've mentioned in the post. I had switched to the very same set up on day 2 after taking delivery of my Seltos, a diesel mill with AT box.

The tyre upgrade and upsize is something which I religiously do whenever new cars are bought and it's always been Michelins for me since 2006. My love affair with Michelins started when I switched to them in my Fiesta TDCi with a 195/60/R 14 back in 2006. Boy, how it transformed an already brilliant handler was a revelation of sorts.

Coming back to Seltos, it was clear during my test drives that the stock Good Year Assurances had to go as soon as I get the car. Few months later when I happened to drive my friends' Seltoses with stock tyres, I could make out the massive difference in the comfort, grip and the much improved ride quality and the enormous confidence these wider Michelins provide on Seltos. I feel even the steering feels a tad heavier to my liking with these tyres.

It's a 100% worthwhile upgrade for Seltos and worth every penny. Also glad to know, Michelin stocks are slowly coming back into the market. When the import restrictions and the resultant short supplies were at it's peak, I had to frantically hunt for a fifth tyre since I had only bought four of them during the upgrade. Eventually, I managed to find one and had to pay through the nose, was billed at ₹16,300/- including warranty.

Here's the Michelin Man(bibendum) adorning my dash and few pictures of my Seltos with the Michelins, 235/55/R 17.

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-img20210327wa0057.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-img20191221wa0003.jpg  

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-img20220727wa0023.jpg  

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-img20200110wa0058.jpg  

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-img20200110wa0057.jpg  

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-img20220702wa01281.jpg  

Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)-20220727_093142.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th July 2022 at 09:45.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 18:48   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Update: New Tyres (Upsized); ...
Michelin Primacy 4ST Tyres (Size 235/55 R17); ...
Just a few thoughts on this tyre upsize , Karan:
  • Does the tyre size change affect the warranty on suspension components? The user manual is very specific on only change of wheel size. However, there is a passing mention regarding change in tyre size possibly affecting function of ABS and ESC.
  • Does the tyre size change affect the steering geometry (say the scrub radius)? Or is it that the change is within the allowed tolerances? Do we use the original wheel alignment values? Changes in steering and suspension geometry outside design tolerances will bound to show up in the long term.
  • I had changed the JK Tyres to Conti-Cross Contact LX2 immediately after taking delivery of my GT-X, however had retained the same original OEM size.
  • The Korean - -Aussie Seltos comes factory fitted with 235/55 R17s, as one of the options. However that is a very different vehicle based on the Kona platform.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Seltos tyre U manual.pdf (214.5 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 1st August 2022 at 18:55.
Old 8th August 2022, 12:04   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Just a few thoughts on this tyre upsize , Karan:
  • Does the tyre size change affect the warranty on suspension components? The user manual is very specific on only change of wheel size. However, there is a passing mention regarding change in tyre size possibly affecting function of ABS and ESC.
  • Does the tyre size change affect the steering geometry (say the scrub radius)? Or is it that the change is within the allowed tolerances? Do we use the original wheel alignment values? Changes in steering and suspension geometry outside design tolerances will bound to show up in the long term.
  • I had changed the JK Tyres to Conti-Cross Contact LX2 immediately after taking delivery of my GT-X, however had retained the same original OEM size.
  • The Korean - -Aussie Seltos comes factory fitted with 235/55 R17s, as one of the options. However that is a very different vehicle based on the Kona platform.
Warranty question is dependent on the way you handle the dealership. Let me ask you a question, suppose the A/C of your Seltos stops working & you go to the dealership with an upsized tyre setup will they blame the new tyres for the A/C not working and void warranty ?

Braking performance has become better & so has the stability, Answers to other questions you have answered yourself in the last point.

Overall the driving experience post the tyre change has been transformational hence that's all I'd like to say, if you are not game to upsize then buy the Michelins (Or Continental) in stock size (like you did), simple

Last edited by karan561 : 8th August 2022 at 12:09.
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:11   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Warranty question is dependent on the way you handle the dealership. Let me ask you a question, suppose the A/C of your Seltos stops working & you go to the dealership with an upsized tyre setup will they blame the new tyres for the A/C not working and void warranty ?

Braking performance has become better & so has the stability, Answers to other questions you have answered yourself in the last point.

Overall the driving experience post the tyre change has been transformational hence that's all I'd like to say, if you are not game to upsize then buy the Michelins (Or Continental) in stock size (like you did), simple
My Dear Fellow Forum Member,
  • Wider tyres do alter the suspension geometry. What is not clearly known is what is the tolerable range of the Indian (SP2i Platform) Seltos's tyre width to its suspension geometry?
  • Quite contrary to your interpretation, I have not answered any of my questions in my post. I had attempted to raise some pertinent questions.
  • Your posted analogy regarding the linking the warranty with car's AC and tyre size is perhaps stretching things too far.
  • That analogy does not hold true- the warranty issue is more likely to come up if (repeat) IF there is a suspension issue with tyres installed outside the OEM specs.
  • The Korean Seltos with the 235/55 R 17s section tyres, is based on the Kona / Elantra platform and is a very different animal.
  • You have a subjective opinion of your tyre upgrade – fair enough. I had attempted to understand if there was anything more (perhaps an objective analysis) to it. And that is about it.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 22nd August 2022 at 21:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks