Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2019, 13:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: My Kia Seltos 1.4L Turbo Petrol (GTX+ DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Great review. Keep updating the thread with your experience. Couple of questions

1. Learnt that GDI engines are prone to intake valve carbon deposits resulting is compromised performance. Are you using any special additives or fuel to counter that?
This is a massive misconception. No fuel additive can clean the air intake valves as no fuel reaches there unless the engine specifically sprays some fuel in those areas (very very few DI engines do that). The standard method of cleaning air intake valves is wood chips fed via the air intake. Aerosol can also be used for cleaning the intake valves.

One way of reducing this issue is to do an EGR delete since most of the carbon deposits form from the exhaust recirculated air.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 19th November 2019 at 13:43.
reignofchaos is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 13:44   #17

Hi Karan,

Congratulations on buying a hot compact SUV, wish you a great ownership experience.

Your video was brilliant and better than lot of mainstream you tube reviewers and i would love to see some more videos in future.

you talked about preventing overheating on DCT Gearboxes. The problem happens in bumper to bumper traffic and what i feel is that is why most people buy automatics as otherwise gear changes in friendlier gearboxes during less traffic conditions are not much of challenge.

Would love to here what other experienced drivers feel.

Is it better to go for a torque converter or CVT if bumper to bumper is major driving use case
cy_auto_enthu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 14:57   #18
BHPian

Re: Review !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Handling & Ride Quality;

- The chassis is so good that even in a relatively tall car it feels sedan-ish to drive (remember the K2 platform under pins the Verna & Elantra too) plus excellent aerodynamics (0.35 Coefficient Drag), underbody air flow glide performance are felt when driving hard.

- The suspension surely has been tuned for better high speed manners over ride comfort.
Congratulations once again Karan, and thanks for an excellent, short and crisp review.

Have done ~1900 kms on my HTK+ D. One thing I want to repeat here is the handling. Coming from Punto and this being Hyundai sister, I thought handling will be compromise and was mentally prepared for that (During test drives was unable to check this aspect), but I am pleasantly surprised. Except for the body-roll, which is expected, and steering feedback, Kia has done an excellent job. I have gotten used to this light steering which weights up nicely as you gather speed. Yes I do miss the preciseness of the Italian, but then there is no car in segment which can match her .
S.MJet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 15:58   #19
BHPian

Many congratulations Karan for acquiring this beauty on wheels. Your review is spot on and will really help in making inform choice for interested buyers. It is as useful as our Official review because your review is from an eye of an owner.

It is really good to hear from the owner itself that Seltos is better handler than Ecosport. This inspires confidence in new brand like Kia (Kia is new for India though it is having sister concern of Hyundai) and their serious efforts toward product developments. I would really like to know more about its ride quality on roads with undulations. Also do update us when you change her shoes and subsequent change in it's ride quality.

The highway mileage of 15 kmpl you got is excellent and i am sure you have been really careful with right foot. Also would like to hear about every feature this car has and it's worthiness in terms of daily driving.

Once again many congratulations for your ride and thanks for such crisp and informative video review with nice pictures.
sandeepsc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 22:22   #20
BHPian

Superb video and a great ownership report on your Seltos, Karan561.
Thank you for doing this. This will be good information for lot of customers still waiting to get their vehicles or undecided to book it.

Wishing you many many miles of pleasurable ownership and keep the updates coming.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 22:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Karan on the wonderful buy.

Wish you and your family happy and safe miles. Please keep posting as the car progresses.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 06:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is a massive misconception. No fuel additive can clean the air intake valves as no fuel reaches there unless the engine specifically sprays some fuel in those areas (very very few DI engines do that). The standard method of cleaning air intake valves is wood chips fed via the air intake. Aerosol can also be used for cleaning the intake valves.

One way of reducing this issue is to do an EGR delete since most of the carbon deposits form from the exhaust recirculated air.
So a better fuel or an additive is said to be a preventative measure against carbon buildup and you are right in mentioning that it is not curative in any way. Fuel additives claim a better burning of fuel in the chamber and hence reduced carbon generation and accumulation.

EGR delete skew the emissions north and is also illegal in many countries sensitive towards the environment. Lets not promote it. Cheers !!

Last edited by hydraulicsteer : 20th November 2019 at 06:31.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 07:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new Kia. One of my colleagues is in a bit of a dilemma. He is planning to buy a new sedan after 11 years of owning a City. He was looking at the Creta keenly, but the difference between the Creta and Seltos is evident at this point, from your review. Would the Seltos be a better choice vis-a-vis the new Honda City in terms of comfort, practicality (keeping the vastly superior features aside for a moment). He needs comfort for 3 adults at the back. He doesn't want a 4.5m plus (D-segment sedan), nor is he comfortable with large SUVs (diesel being a reason).
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 09:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
C Would the Seltos be a better choice vis-a-vis the new Honda City in terms of comfort, practicality (keeping the vastly superior features aside for a moment). He needs comfort for 3 adults at the back. He doesn't want a 4.5m plus (D-segment sedan), nor is he comfortable with large SUVs (diesel being a reason).
This is a very good question. I own the 4th Gen City and recently test drove the Seltos. In Comparison with Verna, the Seltos is miles ahead in the rear seat comfort and space. But when it comes to the boot space its less compared to both the Verna and the City.

As per BHPian Behemoth's approach of measuring actual boot space the Seltos has less boot space than the Venue even. Refer URL here: Boot Space (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car). So the answer w.r.t. to boot space is easy and straight forward.

Coming to the rear seat leg room, I found it acceptable but the space on offer does not match that on the City. It is a bit of a downgrade. But its acceptable since there is a recline option etc.

For reference the Wheelbase of the Seltos is 2610 mm, the City and Verna stands identical at 2600 mm and that of the Ciaz is 2650 mm. Despite the identical Wheelbase of the Verna at 2600 mm, not many appreciate its rear space even in the latest generation - so its not just about the theoretical numbers. Given how Honda are masters of space management, that 10 mm difference/gap is more than made up in the City to give more space inside the cabin.

Coming to other aspects the 4th Gen City does not have a GC issue and I have not scraped the bottom more than 2-3 times in over 5 years of ownership. But seeing how the rains clog the roads (water logging) in most metros these days, that is another practical problem to consider while buying a sedan - an SUV will give more peace of mind no doubt for such scenarios.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 20th November 2019 at 09:39.
vsrivatsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 10:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great review, never expected Creta's cousin to be such an exciting car overall for enthusiasts

Quote:
- Fuel Economy achieved so far is approx 7.5 - 11 km/l in Traffic / City Limits, 14 - 15.5 km/l on Highways.
Is this by tank-full to tank-full method or MID? Most modern cars seems to have optimistic MID, how does Kia fare in this area?
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 11:10   #26
Team-BHP Support

Another great review there Karan! Thanks for sharing

KIA definitely have done their homework before entering an important market, and the effort shows. I feel more than anyone, brand Hyundai will be very worried.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 12:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_auto_enthu View Post
Hi Karan,

Congratulations on buying a hot compact SUV, wish you a great ownership experience.

Your video was brilliant and better than lot of mainstream you tube reviewers and i would love to see some more videos in future.
Thanks for the wishes & such high level appreciation

Quote:
you talked about preventing overheating on DCT Gearboxes. The problem happens in bumper to bumper traffic and what i feel is that is why most people buy automatics as otherwise gear changes in friendlier gearboxes during less traffic conditions are not much of challenge.

Would love to here what other experienced drivers feel.
Gearbox Overheating issues are really unfortunate & i feel KIA should have researched, tested the DCT in crowded city traffic too & made this DCT more durable. Why should the customers suffer after paying big bucks for the car ?

Quote:
Is it better to go for a torque converter or CVT if bumper to bumper is major driving use case
If the driving is mostly in rush hour bumper - bumper traffic in a crowded city like Mumbai, then no point going in for a DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Congratulations once again Karan, and thanks for an excellent, short and crisp review.
Thanks for the wishes Jet.

Quote:
Have done ~1900 kms on my HTK+ D. One thing I want to repeat here is the handling. Coming from Punto and this being Hyundai sister, I thought handling will be compromise and was mentally prepared for that (During test drives was unable to check this aspect), but I am pleasantly surprised. Except for the body-roll, which is expected, and steering feedback, Kia has done an excellent job. I have gotten used to this light steering which weights up nicely as you gather speed. Yes I do miss the preciseness of the Italian, but then there is no car in segment which can match her .
Being an ex-owner of a Punto MJD i can relate to your feeling, i too miss the pure hydraulic steering of the Punto & The Seltos' steering is no match at all with the Italians.
But for now, Enjoy your Kia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
Many congratulations Karan for acquiring this beauty on wheels. Your review is spot on and will really help in making inform choice for interested buyers.
Thanks Sandeep !

Quote:
It is as useful as our Official review because your review is from an eye of an owner.
Thanks again, but i'm sure the TEAM-BHP official review will be much more thorough, descriptive & a proper guide for all the prospective buyers. Wait for it !

Quote:
It is really good to hear from the owner itself that Seltos is better handler than Ecosport. This inspires confidence in new brand like Kia (Kia is new for India though it is having sister concern of Hyundai) and their serious efforts toward product developments.
I've said before that its as good, but may be better because my Ecosport came shod with the shabby MRF Tyres which did limit the handling prowess. But the overall genetics of the Ford are better IMO.

Quote:
I would really like to know more about its ride quality on roads with undulations.
Im unhappy with the Ride Quality & feel its very average & is a bit of a disappointment at low speeds & over undulations.
With speed it gets better.

Quote:
Also do update us when you change her shoes and subsequent change in it's ride quality.
Sure.

Quote:
Once again many congratulations for your ride and thanks for such crisp and informative video review with nice pictures.
Thanks again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Superb video and a great ownership report on your Seltos, Karan561.
Thank you for doing this. This will be good information for lot of customers still waiting to get their vehicles or undecided to book it.
Wishing you many many miles of pleasurable ownership and keep the updates coming.
Thanks Ithaca for the wishes & compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Congrats Karan on the wonderful buy.

Wish you and your family happy and safe miles. Please keep posting as the car progresses.
Thanks for the wishes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Congratulations on your new Kia.
Quote:
One of my colleagues is in a bit of a dilemma. He is planning to buy a new sedan after 11 years of owning a City. He was looking at the Creta keenly, but the difference between the Creta and Seltos is evident at this point, from your review. Would the Seltos be a better choice vis-a-vis the new Honda City in terms of comfort, practicality (keeping the vastly superior features aside for a moment). He needs comfort for 3 adults at the back. He doesn't want a 4.5m plus (D-segment sedan), nor is he comfortable with large SUVs (diesel being a reason).
I still think the sedans are more comfortable than SUV's and definitely better handling too.
Though the SUV's are in flavour now but the charm of a sedan is unbeatable.
Hence there is no strong reason to consider the Seltos. In fact he should wait for the all new Honda City which has already been spotted testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Great review, never expected Creta's cousin to be such an exciting car overall for enthusiasts

Is this by tank-full to tank-full method or MID? Most modern cars seems to have optimistic MID, how does Kia fare in this area?
Thanks, no those were MID figures. Yet to test with the tankful method. Not sure how Kia have calibrated the FE calculations for the MID so would be difficult to comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Another great review there Karan! Thanks for sharing
Thanks vb san !

Last edited by karan561 : 20th November 2019 at 12:49.
karan561 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 17:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
1st Service of the 1000 km interval done at Shreenath Kia, Thane;

Attachment 1935987

The service included a General check up & also the under body inspection was done. In addition the AC, Air Filter cleaning was also done;

Attachment 1935990

The Infotainment was updated as well;

Attachment 1935989

Was in & out within 2 hours including the wash & the interior vacuuming
I did a test drive of GTX+ DCT last week here in Noida. Seat comfort, Ride quality, Handling, DCT experience were exceptionally well. I really liked the dash layout though it is full of assortment of mind boggling features

I may like to know your view on plastic quality and its finish, perhaps that was the most disappointing thing I noticed in test drive car. Second I found many scratches around buttons in Gear panel, piano black panel is prone to it.
Old 21st November 2019, 15:11   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarCruiser View Post
I may like to know your view on plastic quality and its finish, perhaps that was the most disappointing thing I noticed in test drive car. Second I found many scratches around buttons in Gear panel, piano black panel is prone to it.
The plastic quality & finish is good enough for the segment, but the Piano Black trims are really a dust & finger print magnet.
Old 21st November 2019, 19:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Likes;

- Handling & Steering (Sport Mode really weighs up the steering well & is excellent for this segment)

Dislikes;

- No Paddle Shifters (A Big miss for this Engine / Gearbox combo and should have been offered at-least in this GTX+ trim)
- Ride Quality at low speeds is not that great.
Amazingly written review, congratulations Karan.. I agree on the above points but a change in good rubber might solve ride quality..

Great video review by the way, all details covered, Great job.
Don Dasco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed