Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 13:45   #676
BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Great DIY on your XL6!

It would be more helpful to owners of other K15 petrol engines who are interested in doing such DIYs, if you could share the tool specific details too, like the drain-bolt size, Oil filter wrench size etc.

I currently do most of the periodic service work like oil change, filter change etc on our WagonR and another Swift in the family by myself. So for these K-series engines, the drain bolt socket size is 14mm, and the oil-filter wrench size is 65mm.
We are interested in upgrading to Brezza/Urban Cruiser, may be next year or so.
So I'm just curious to know whether the same set of tools will be sufficient for the K15 engine too, or is there any difference in size due to the bigger capacity engine.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 14:19   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Great DIY on your XL6!

It would be more helpful to owners of other K15 petrol engines who are interested in doing such DIYs, if you could share the tool specific details too, like the drain-bolt size, Oil filter wrench size etc.

I currently do most of the periodic service work like oil change, filter change etc on our WagonR and another Swift in the family by myself. So for these K-series engines, the drain bolt socket size is 14mm, and the oil-filter wrench size is 65mm.
We are interested in upgrading to Brezza/Urban Cruiser, may be next year or so.
So I'm just curious to know whether the same set of tools will be sufficient for the K15 engine too, or is there any difference in size due to the bigger capacity engine.
Yes, same set of tools will suffice for K15 engine too. Filter and drain bolts are all shared across most Maruti petrol engines(barring the old 2V engines which had slightly different sizes of parts like plugs, filters etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post

Btw any part number available for the Toyota grease ?
Thanks buddy. I've been using 08887-01206.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 7th October 2021 at 14:30.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 16:44   #678
BHPian

When I read the post I was expecting you Leo.

Maruti and Leo go hand in hand on this forum. Well done. Congrats.

I agree with you on the stress busting activity. Whenever I do anything with the car it is the same for me. Unfortunately I do not have a dedicated garage and so every-time my neighbors see me doing something they immediately start commenting on why I keep investing time on the car.

I was planning to service my Dzire myself this time but due to marriage things did not go ahead. Next time for sure.

I have some questions for you:
1) Since when did Maruti started using 0w-16 for petrols ?
2) How did you clean the discs and pads ?
3) Any special thing for cleaning the engine bay ?

Also I am repenting on taking the Service Maintenance Package for Rapid. The service is easy and just replacing few filters and oil will do.
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 19:32   #679

I must say, your XL6 is a lucky vehicle to get an owner like you. Kudos to your patience and efforts in maintaining your vehicles in top shape both in and out. Keep going!
Rālugāyi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 21:57   #680
Senior - BHPian

Nice job!! That has to be one of the cleanest rear brake assemblies in the country now. The attention to detail is something.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 22:14   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post

I have some questions for you:
1) Since when did Maruti started using 0w-16 for petrols ?
They began with K15 engines in 2018, and today AFAIK, their entire K series engines need 0W16s.

Quote:
2) How did you clean the discs and pads ?
To clean dirt, the red tub had water plus some 2 caps of APC. The disc had also developed a very fine layer of rust on it. I usually leave it as it is, but this time tried a used 3000 grit sandpaper on the discs, and it removed rust beautifully. Then finished everything with some brake cleaner spray.

For pads, I first cleaned the deposits visible in that groove with a screwdriver. Then simply washed the pads in running water. That brought back it's natural look. While I had some rough sand paper, didn't use it on the pads/shoes.

Quote:
3) Any special thing for cleaning the engine bay ?
Meguiar's APC diluted 1:4 and some brushes. Then washed everything with garden hose and dried all traces of water using a leaf blower(I use Stanley's). Finally, all plastic and rubber parts in the engine bay get sprayed with Water based dressing, in my case CarPro PERL.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 00:22   #682
BHPian

Like the 5 speed 800, this xl must have been made with lucky stars. The Kind of attention and methodology you have is just outstanding. The arsenal of car care products and tools must also receive special mention.

I am knowingly driving with a slow leak puncture since a month and here the lug nuts are being cleaned and polished

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 8th October 2021 at 00:25.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 21:27   #683
BHPian

I am reminded of this quote from the Transporter movie - "the way a man treats his car is how he treats himself". Great, great work on the DIY servicing with great attention paid to things that I suspect would be ignored for the most part.

I sincerely wish your vehicle gives you more smiles per mile.
arnieshwartz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 17:27   #684

Dear Guys, Thanks for helping me in taking the decision. Today, I have booked the XL6 Zeta MT version in Premium Silver Colour! Delivery is expected in 15 days or so. Thanks to all and specially dear Leoshashi whose thread really helped me to take the decision. When I saw silver colour today, I was spellbound. It was looking awesome. Then again when I sat in the Captain seat, I felt the difference as compared to the Seltos as I had spent considerable time yesterday in that car. And voila! It sealed the deal. Booked by paying Rs. 11,000. Now eagerly waiting for delivery!

Last edited by Aditya : 11th October 2021 at 18:55. Reason: Edited for readability
anurag_khurana is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th October 2021, 14:50   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_khurana View Post
Dear Guys, Thanks for helping me in taking the decision. Today, I have booked the XL6 Zeta MT version Premium silver Colour !! Delivery is expected in 15 days or so. Thanks to All and specially Dear Leoshashi whose thread really helped me to take the decision. When I saw silver colour today I was spellbound. It was looking awesome. Then again when I sat at the Captain seats, oh oh , I felt the difference as compared to seltos as I spent considerable time yesterday also in that car. And voila it sealed the deal. Booked by paying 11,000 Rs. Now eagerly waiting for Delivery !!
Congratulations Buddy, the Premium Silver shade is a gorgeous color. Even we were confused between Premium Silver and Magma Grey after White was ruled out(the available cars failed the PDI) and I trusted Dad to take this call and he chose Magma Grey.

The car may not be desirable but it surely grows on you. And nothing beats it in terms of practicality in it's price bracket, except it's own sibling, the Ertiga. The XL6 has ruined us so badly with it's space and comfort that I doubt we will ever be able to move away from the MPV bodystyle.

Hope you've checked out the usability of the third row from your perspective. Couple of months ago I was at the Kia Showroom to check out Seltos for a relative. The car felt much more well appointed than the XL6, but was cramped. Only saving grace was the sunroof which provided some relief. And before I forget, the Audio system on the Kia was awesome. It should be one of the first upgrades you should do on the XL6, along with some good damping.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20210617_145816.jpg

Wishing you lots of enjoyable miles with the XL6.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 00:11   #686

First of all, excellent thread started by LeoShashi!

This post is about my experience of buying XL6 -

Decision of upgrading:

We had White Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 Base Variant bought on 13th October 2013 in Aurangabad, Maharashtra. We’ve been highly satisfied with the Alto 800 and never had even a bit of regret. But in 2013, when we bought Alto 800, my Dad wanted a bigger car, but he saved his money for my education and got this small but lovely car. Even Alto 800 was an upgrade from our second-hand Maruti 800. Till now, everyone urged my Dad to get a bigger vehicle because of his seniority in the company he works for. So, in August 2021, we finally thought of upgrading and then eventually ended up buying an Arctic White Maruti Suzuki XL6 Zeta Manual.

Yes, this is the journey of starting with Maruti Suzuki’s lowest-end car (as per 2013) to its highest-end car (at present)!

Which car to upgrade to?:

One of our relatives works at Škoda and he offered us with 10% of employee discount on the base price (ex-showroom price) of the car. So, we ended up visiting the Škoda showroom first. There we saw Rapid and Kushaq. However, Kushaq felt out of our budget, leaving Rapid to get a test drive. Coming from Alto 800, Rapid 1.0 TSi Turbo-Petrol easily became a pleasant option because of its build quality, space, power, and overall superiority over Alto 800. From Škoda, Rapid Ambition Variant was our pick, costing Rs.11.80 lakhs on-road. But considering the employee discount we were getting on Rs.10 lakhs ex-showroom price, we were getting a discount of Rs.1 lakh, costing us a net Rs.10.80 lakhs on-road.

Just beside the Škoda showroom, we have a Tata Motors showroom in Aurangabad. I personally wanted Nexon, so for checking up on my choice, we stepped inside. The moment we entered, we felt highly uncomfortable because of the temperature inside. Air conditioners were off, fans were off and even ventilation seemed to be not capable to let the heat out. The Sales Person there also wasn’t much professional and overall felt like not trained properly. My Parents liked the Nexon on space, height, build quality but they felt it was small in length (below 4 m) after looking at its price of Rs.11.75 lakhs (2nd top variant) at which Škoda gave a car longer than 4 meters. At Tata, we also then saw Tigor whose doors felt lighter and weaker than other cars in that showroom. And we left disappointed from Tata Motors even after the test drive of Nexon. To Dad, Rapid felt like a driver’s paradise and Nexon didn’t feel anywhere near. But the honorable mention at Tata is Safari. If we ever had twice the budget we had, Safari was coming home beating Innova Crysta, which Dad loves since its launch and in which he travels every day to his workplace.

The third showroom for the day was Nexa. We went to Pagariya Auto in Aurangabad to see if we could find an option suitable for our upgrade. The Sales Person here pushed a lot on Baleno, but we wanted to discuss Ciaz. Baleno is a good car, but coming from a hatchback, we wanted to upgrade to a sedan, SUV, or MPV. And somehow, out of nowhere, the name “XL6” came out of my mouth. We weren’t much interested in XL6 as it has middle-row captain seats and not a bench seat where, as per the Indian requirements, we can adjust as many people as we want. They didn’t have any Ciaz for the test drive and on display that day, so we asked for a test drive of XL6. The test drive XL6 they have is Alpha Manual in Nexa Blue color, which wasn’t clean at all and was steaming hot inside because of standing in open sunlight all time. The first few minutes were unpleasant, but the AC cooled everything down just in few minutes and the superior comfort kicked in. Now, we were on a smooth highway and there was no noise from the engine and wind outside. It was peacefully silent and when slowed down, the car didn’t even felt like moving. It was at this moment, I and Mom fell in love with this vehicle. Then while returning, we stopped at a traffic signal and I felt like the car was turned off, but the AC and the music system were working completely fine. And then, the Sales Person with us explained about the Idle Start/Stop. This was the first car in our budget I felt like buying that day. After the test drive, the Sales Person asked us which car would we like to go for finally? And XL6 was our answer! However, the Sales Person kept suggesting that we should go for Baleno as it was a more suitable option for our 3-members family and we would get it delivered within 20 days as compared to 1.5 months for XL6. Although he explained every feature of both Baleno and XL6, we felt he was a little biased on selling a Baleno as that could complete his targets faster (Our opinion).

As Ciaz was left to be checked upon in Nexa brand cars by us, we went to our last showroom for that day, Automotive Manufacturers Nexa. On our way, we fastly dropped by Automotive Manufacturers Arena to just get a look at Ertiga CNG. But to our surprise, the waiting time for Ertiga CNG here was over 14 months. So, discarding Ertiga, we visited Automotive Nexa and asked for only Ciaz here. We got to test drive Ciaz Alpha Automatic, and this car felt more luxurious than the Škoda Rapid we were leaned on towards in the Sedan segment. Ciaz not only was longer, wider, and higher, but also more spacious and refined (at low to mid gears). The boot space capacity, ground clearance, and fuel efficiency felt highest in the segment. And this is how we found the perfect match as per our needs!

We didn’t bother to go to Hyundai, as we weren’t interested in buying a high-maintenance car. Also, for everyone in Aurangabad, the services provided by Toyota here are the worst. Volkswagen Vento and Honda City felt too much old. We didn’t consider Kia Seltos just because it didn’t feel much appealing. My cousin has MG Hector*and*we loved the features, space, and sunroof, but weren’t willing to put that much amount on an SUV with a Sunroof. One car we wanted to see was Honda BR-V, but when we called the showroom, we got to know that it was discontinued.

Now it was time to final one out of the three: Rapid, Ciaz, XL6. Rapid, despite having a Turbo engine, felt old enough to discard, also the look of Rapid from the back looks almost the same as old-gen Rapid and much older-gen Laura. Ciaz being an oldie itself, felt newer. But the refinement of XL6 felt unmatched. So it was then between XL6 and Ciaz. Ciaz felt a better option for traveling to our villages with huge boot space, but when logically thought, even XL6 can carry 5 people and their luggage. The cost difference between both was about Rs.60,000/-, making it more difficult, as there was Exchange Bonus, Corporate Discount, and some additional discount on Ciaz but XL6 has nothing of it. Finally, it came to my Dad’s preference. Since its 1st-Gen, my Dad has loved the Innova, and since the launch of Crysta, he is fond of captain seats. And that’s how even though not a perfect match as per our tiny family, a lovable car (XL6), was booked on 14th August 2021 from the Automotive Manufacturers Nexa as we found the customer service here better than Pagariya Auto.

Transmission, Variant & Colour:

I and my Dad have always preferred Manual over Automatic as automatic is just not as fun as manual. Alpha variant being above Rs.10 lakhs had 2% more registration fees here, making it not a value for money upgrade. I personally loved Auburn Red, but the Sales Person explained that the Auburn Red was hard to mix up while repairing any damaged color part. My parents liked only 2 other colors: Arctic White and Magma Grey. The Magma Grey vehicle we saw in their parking lot had a little dust on it but looked too much dirty when not seeing from close. And so, we finalized the Arctic White XL6 Zeta Manual at Rs.12 lakhs.

Waiting Time:

During the waiting time, I went through all the accessories provided by Nexa for XL6 and shortlisted a few. I also went through various aftermarket shops to get more insights into the price and quality of accessories other than OEM. We thought of getting maximum accessories from Nexa. At the time of booking, we were informed that our car will be ready to be delivered by 14th September 2021. And as it was around the time of the Ganesh Festival, we were happy to get it in that time period. We finalized the vendor for 7D Mats, finalized which accessories to buy and get fitted from Nexa, and were eagerly waiting for the confirmation of our car from Maruti Suzuki.

“Semi-conductor shortage hits the globe and Maruti limits the vehicle production.” This delay wasn’t the only cause for our unhappiness. Maruti also announced the price hike for all their vehicles. But for the XL6 Zeta variant, the base amount didn’t exceed Rs.10 lakhs, and the final quoted amount was Rs.12.08 lakhs. Our car’s confirmation came on 21st September 2021. On 23rd, the car arrived at the Aurangabad stockyard and at Nexa showroom later that evening. We did our Pre-Registration Inspection on the 24th morning. The registration process started the same day and was completed by 30th, and the payable amount turned out to be Rs.11.95 lakhs. The time between Ganesh Festival and Navratri is considered a bad time to buy anything new, so we waited till 7th October to take the delivery. During this time period of waiting for delivery, we ordered the 7D mats and had talked with a vendor for ceramic coating. We had given a list of accessories we wanted from Nexa to the person in contact. After extra expenses on Ceramic Coating, 7D Mats & possible upcoming damping, the complete spend for the car is around Rs.12.25 lakhs.

When checking for some necessary modifications, I came through Team-BHP and eventually this thread. I read almost the complete thread and wanted to sign up and share my experience as well. Reading this thread was a highly informative, helpful, and superb experience. (I received the approval of my membership on 10th October)

The day of delivery:

On 7th, we completed the Pre-Delivery Inspection followed by delivery and paperwork by 12:30 pm and drove straight home. Not all accessories were available, but the Door Sill Guard (Illuminated) & Rear Spoiler were fitted and enhanced the look of the car from the back and when opened the door. After paperwork, we distributed sweets and left a box of sweets for the staff as a token of thanks. At home, we did Puja of the car and drove it to Perfect Automobiles & Car Care for the Ceramic Coating of our car, where we also distributed the sweets. The owner of the workshop is great and agreed to stay late at night to finish maximum work so that we could collect the car the next day by 2 pm.

Next day of delivery:

On the 8th, we received our car after the completion of Ceramic coating and also a Ganesh Idol for the dashboard as a gift from the workshop owner. Few of the remaining accessories had arrived and just after receiving the car, we went to the Workshop to get it fitted. Reverse camera was connected in few minutes, body cover was kept in the car, but the biggest thing, seat cover, was not the one I demanded. So had to deny the plain black which was available. Although, I settled for the available design of the steering cover as it can be changed later down the years at a low cost. After this, visited some relatives and a colleague, and the quality ride in our car made them speechless.

My apologies for keeping it this big, but I have seen no one from my city getting involved on such platforms. Also, most of my friends don’t do enough research enough before even buying vehicles. Also, it may take 3 weeks for me to post the pictures of my car's distinctive accessories.

Regards,
Niraj
Nirajp1905 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 12:42   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Excellent. Do take care to match the tyre with sensor location. From factory, light point of the tyre(marked with yellow dot) is matched with tyre valve location(applicable only for alloy wheels, for steel wheels concept and hence process is different). Don't miss this. This will ensure you spend less on weights during balancing. Also make sure they take out all embedded pebbles from tyre treads before balancing.

Your XL6 is looking brilliant with western ghats in the background. My XL6 is idle since 3 weeks now. Trying to use my 800 whenever possible, since I don't want it to feel neglected.

Regards,
Shashi
Hi Shashi, I got the Manatec TPMS installed with 5 sensors. All the sensors are identified by the display unit. However, despite my best effort, I could not get into the menu of the display unit to set hi/lo pressure thresholds and to disable the audio alert. Out of the box, it seems the default lo pressure alert is set for 35 psi, which is much higher than I maintain (~32psi) so its always flashing the alerts and the audio alert comes out even when the vechicle is idle or parked (I could hear it when I open the car after parking for a long time).

I tried the steps given in the manual but not successful. Do you have any tips to go into the menu screen? Thanks in advance.

Best,
Chandra
Old 14th October 2021, 13:13   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrak View Post
Hi Shashi, I got the Manatec TPMS installed with 5 sensors. All the sensors are identified by the display unit. However, despite my best effort, I could not get into the menu of the display unit to set hi/lo pressure thresholds and to disable the audio alert. Out of the box, it seems the default lo pressure alert is set for 35 psi, which is much higher than I maintain (~32psi) so its always flashing the alerts and the audio alert comes out even when the vechicle is idle or parked (I could hear it when I open the car after parking for a long time).

I tried the steps given in the manual but not successful. Do you have any tips to go into the menu screen? Thanks in advance.

Best,
Chandra
Yours must be the newer model with 5 sensors display so I'm not entirely sure what interface you have. But DBHPian ProcRJ has newer model, so I'm sharing this link and requesting him to help you out. Please wait for his reply.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 16:43   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

Replaced the Fuel Filter: OE recommended interval is 40,000 km/4 Years but since I've been filling fuel from some shady pumps off-late, replaced it for peace of mind. Process was fairly simple, like other MPFI cars:

1. Remove fuel pump relay from main fuse box. Start the engine till it sputters and dies. Crank once more to be sure. Engine shouldn't start, indicating no fuel being pumped.

2. Open fuel tank inlet cap to relieve any pressure. That's it, you can now change the filter. It's located ahead of rear left wheel.

3. One should make sure to inspect the hoses around for cracks/fraying before and after installation. After that it's fairly easy, remove the bolts, clips and pull back the hose. Replace filter, hose, clips and bolts in that order. Replace fuel pump relay and put car in accessories mode which primes the pump. I repeated this a couple of times. This creates pressure and look for any leaks around the filter.

That's it, fuel filter replaced. Couldn't take many pics as I was working alone.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20211013_183956.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20211013_175155.jpg

Odometer is at 15,400 km. A longish drive is coming up next week.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 01:24   #690

Hi Shashi, I have fallen in love with this thread and keep on visiting it for new updates as if it is a Netflix series.

Thank you for starting this thread and also for keeping it updated.

I am very keen on buying this vehicle because of the comfort in the captain seats. The waiting time mentioned here in Mumbai is 4 weeks. I have read some articles that there might be a facelift early next year. Do you guys feel there is a chance for this to happen?

I already have a 2013 i20 and there is no dire need to buy it asap. But if there is a chance of an update in January or February, I might like to wait it out. If not, I’ll make the purchase immediately.

Kindly share your thoughts.
AviC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks