Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 23:15   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Not sure if the 3A horn is a recent development.
Maruti have had 3A horns for quite sometime now.

Just checked - the chrome trumpet fixed is 5A, so there would be a need for a relay.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 23:26   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Maruti have had 3A horns for quite sometime now.

Just checked - the chrome trumpet fixed is 5A, so there would be a need for a relay.
I am using the same set of horns for over a year now, nearly 2 years actually.

Have found no issues with my battery or the performance of the horns too, including using them with headlights on.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 23:49   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am using the same set of horns for over a year now, nearly 2 years actually.

Have found no issues with my battery or the performance of the horns too, including using them with headlights on.
The issues start when the reserve capacity (as against the cold crank capacity) of the battery start declining.

There would be no early symptoms to warn as the car would start in one crank and headlights would work (there would be a slight decline in brightness which would not be noticeable).

The symptoms would be the sudden failure of a component - usually one of the sensors as they are sensitive to battery reserve capacity fluctuations.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 00:04   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Horns perfected!

Now the horn sat firmly, with enough clearance, facing downwards and I had fixed every shortcoming.
Very nice upgrade and now aesthetically pleasing too since they are visually symmetrical.

I, myself, don't advocate changing from OEM horns to bigger, louder horns. Those sounds out of the factory give each model their distinct identity. Most people can identify a car just by the sound of its horn.

Also, remember that size does not matter - the technique does.

One can use the same OEM horns to play different sequences and be as irritating as possible to catch the other person's attention.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 07:34   #590
BHPian

This horn upgrade was so simple and easy. It is terribly inconvenient in my car as the whole bumper needs to be taken off. Moreover, the bumper having integrated headlamp washers, taking it off is trickier than standard bumpers. Thus I have decided to stick to OEM horns.
mohitchalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 07:47   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fuse rating is 15Amps for horn IIRC, so I should be safe since the Hellas are rated at 5Amps each.
The capacity of the fuse is not relevant in this context. The function to be carried out by a relay cannot be substituted by the fuse.

Additionally, Maruti would be well within its rights to decline warranty on all electrical / electronic components and engine / gearbox malfunctions including that of the ECU.

(Saw the quoted post after I made the last two posts)

Last edited by AMG Power : 29th July 2021 at 08:08.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 09:47   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The issues start when the reserve capacity (as against the cold crank capacity) of the battery start declining.
Thanks AMG Power. My stock battery lasted for just around 4 years. It gave me the first sign of weakness when the steering light glowed on the MID after cranking the engine indicating the reference voltage for the steering motor was not adequate as power to steering remained off while the engine was running. It worked after the next crank. This is when the battery test also failed and I replaced the battery.

I then switched to Amaron in 2017 and it has crossed 4 years now. Zero signs till now and even my DRLs remain on when I crank the engine (in stock battery they would go dim/off during that morning crank).

I had also switched to 100/90w H4 bulbs with Relay wiring kit within the first year after purchasing the car in 2013. I replaced my stock horn with Roots Windtone in the same year too. One of these horns lasted conked after 4 years of usage and would work only occasionally. So I replaced them with Hella Chrome in 2020.

Quote:
There would be no early symptoms to warn as the car would start in one crank and headlights would work (there would be a slight decline in brightness which would not be noticeable).

The symptoms would be the sudden failure of a component - usually one of the sensors as they are sensitive to battery reserve capacity fluctuations.
My use case is a typical one where the vehicle is driven quite regularly. It has now been more than 2.08L Km with such a set-up and have had no sudden failures. May be I am plain lucky but since the horns are used only on need basis (and not always drawing current) and that too mostly when the engine is running, I have not experienced such failures where the culprit is a dual horn.

On the other hand, my WagonR too has a dual horn (not chrome) but since the stock horn was single, I have installed a relay for the same and that has run for more than 2.5L km with the same set-up, including the upgraded H4 headlights.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 10:13   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have Bosch Symphony horn pair on my WagonR since past 4 years. They're rated 4A each and were a plug and play replacement for the dual horns of the WagonR. Just like Parag, I have 100/90W bulbs with relay. Also upgraded the stock head-unit and speakers. No problems till date.

The Amaron battery is slightly more than 4 years old and is giving hints of retirement. That too mostly because of negligible running of the car in the past 1.5 years. That said, a WagonR doesn't have too many electronics too.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 10:40   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The capacity of the fuse is not relevant in this context. The function to be carried out by a relay cannot be substituted by the fuse.
Sharing the Horn Ciruit Diagram for the XL6, which clearly shows that a relay is already in place.
My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-horn-cd.jpg
procrj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 10:53   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Sharing the Horn Ciruit Diagram for the XL6, which clearly shows that a relay is already in place.
Attachment 2185132
Dual horn set up always came with a relay ProcRJ. This is the reason why horn fitment is easier where you already have dual horn setup.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 10:54   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Attachment 2185132
Not just the XL6, every Maruti comes with an OE horn relay now.

The issue being discussed here is different.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 10:56   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Additionally, Maruti would be well within its rights to decline warranty on all electrical / electronic components and engine / gearbox malfunctions including that of the ECU.

(Saw the quoted post after I made the last two posts)
AFAIK, all stock horn circuits, post the mainstream adaptation of driver Airbags have a relay to isolate the switching and switched circuits. This is because of the introduction of clock spring in the steering assembly which carries the horn press signal, airbag control signal and steering controls . The clock spring cannot handle high current. Usually rated to carry less than 1A.

I do not know if even in older cars, like say M800 or Zen, there is a relay for horn. Maybe Shashi can have a peek under the hood of the golden goose and confirm?
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 11:18   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

I do not know if even in older cars, like say M800 or Zen, there is a relay for horn. Maybe Shashi can have a peek under the hood of the golden goose and confirm?
No horn relay for 800 and it comes with a single horn. It was directly connected to switch. Hence when I upgraded to dual horns, I used Maruti's dual horn kit which came with relay and all for a cleaner installation.

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-img20190321wa0044.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20190306_215638.jpg

My first car: 2020 Maruti Suzuki XL6 Alpha MT Review-20190507_171405.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 11:35   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No horn relay for 800 and it comes with a single horn. It was directly connected to switch. Hence when I upgraded to dual horns, I used Maruti's dual horn kit which came with relay and all for a cleaner installation.
[/center]
Damn! Maruti has an official accessory kit from upgraded horns to auto dimming mirrors! Kudos to them

Is this kit still available for purchase? Does the kit contain only the wiring harness or the horns as well?
Old 29th July 2021, 11:45   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Damn! Maruti has an official accessory kit from upgraded horns to auto dimming mirrors! Kudos to them

Is this kit still available for purchase? Does the kit contain only the wiring harness or the horns as well?
This kit used to be available around 2010. Came for Omni and WagonR. So may be hard to procure. I found one at Chennai.

The kit had brackets, relay, wiring harness, horn, couple of bolts, zip ties and an instruction manual. Was quite comprehensive. All these for less than Rs. 350.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks