Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 00:13   #61
BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is it a regular paint job or is it powder coating or anodizing kind? Regular paint job may be prone to scratches, peeling off etc.
It is definitely not an anodized one. It could be powder coated, I am not too sure on this. On the Innova I saw it on, it has been there for a couple of years and I found it fine. The minor blemishes I mentioned are when we touch the surface, at certain places I can feel the touch to be relatively rough as compared to other places where it is smooth to the touch.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 01:37   #62
BHPian

Thanks Kalyan for this fantastic review !! I have decided that I shall use it as my owner's manual.
I got my delivery 2 days back and have quite a distance to go, to figure out the beauty.
First stop, wanted to ask, would you recommend taking the mat and flap kit?

And secondly on the navigation. I have been able to download from a different link:https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwi...maps-download#.
i am pretty confused on the next steps, if you could list them out, it would be of great help!

Thanks once again for the great write up!
Sanjoym is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:59   #63
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car Kalyan, wishing you many miles and memories ahead hopefully a few together.

Loved reading the encyclopedic review of your VW Tiguan Allspace, rated 5 stars.
adityarobb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:27   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjoym View Post
Thanks Kalyan for this fantastic review !! I have decided that I shall use it as my owner's manual.
I got my delivery 2 days back and have quite a distance to go, to figure out the beauty.
First stop, wanted to ask, would you recommend taking the mat and flap kit?
Thanks for the good words.

If you can, I would recommend skipping the Accessories kit (which includes the Mats and the Mudflaps) for ₹ 20k. Personally, I prefer the 3M Nomad mats and they should cost around ₹ 14k for this car. You can request them to install flaps at no cost.

Quote:
And secondly on the navigation. I have been able to download from a different link:https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwi...maps-download#.
i am pretty confused on the next steps, if you could list them out, it would be of great help!

Thanks once again for the great write up!
I have not tried downloading and configuring maps from this link. The video I posted, has the maps from one version previous to the one on this link, I checked. I will try to update mine to this version sometime next week and post my experience here. The config steps could be missing, once we download these maps, some files from the original VW SD card delivered with the car need to be copied over to the maps folder before this can work with our car.

--Kalyan
Old 9th December 2020, 21:45   #65
BHPian

Thanks Kalyan will check the 3M store over the weekend. And shall wait for you to try out the navigation. Has anyone else tried out the navigation?

Also pls has anyone availed of the SVP from VW?
Sanjoym is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 23:02   #66
BHPian

Checked the 3M store at NFC Delhi, they do not have stocks, but promised to get it next week by only black. It is Rs 321/- per sft. Not sure how the black mats will look with beige seats, maybe a good contract.

Incidentally, I have been very lucky to get the Hi5 SVP complementary in addition to by negotiated prices. VW had announced this scheme for invoices between 1st to 31st Dec and one of the other dealers called me on 2nd Dec, to offer the same if I book the car with them. I checked with my dealer and took the delivery with this offer on the 2nd of December.

Today I got the number plate fixed, but on Vahaan it still says RC not found. Is this normal?
Old 14th December 2020, 13:42   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Checked the 3M store at NFC Delhi, they do not have stocks, but promised to get it next week by only black. It is Rs 321/- per sft. Not sure how the black mats will look with beige seats, maybe a good contract.

Incidentally, I have been very lucky to get the Hi5 SVP complementary in addition to by negotiated prices. VW had announced this scheme for invoices between 1st to 31st Dec and one of the other dealers called me on 2nd Dec, to offer the same if I book the car with them. I checked with my dealer and took the delivery with this offer on the 2nd of December.

Today I got the number plate fixed, but on Vahaan it still says RC not found. Is this normal?
Yes, its a scheme offered by VW for all Tiguan Allspaces sold in December. Its in addition to the dealer discounts and makes the deal even more sweeter.

What was the final deal you got and which colour did you go with? Would be good if you can share the breakup.
mustangvins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 13:42   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Incidentally, I have been very lucky to get the Hi5 SVP complementary in addition to by negotiated prices.

Hi Sanjoy,

3M also has the Nomad mats in Beige and Grey colours. Grey will go well with this car.

Congratulations, I was about to mention that as I saw your delivery date was Dec 2. It's indeed a good offer.

It may differ from state to state. Here in Telangana, once the local RTO registers the vehicle, it takes almost a month to get updated at Vahan. Once its on Vahan, it can also be downloaded in Electronic format on the DigiLocker app which these days is a valid proof of registration of the car.

--Kalyan
Old 15th December 2020, 23:02   #69

Thanks kalyan_hyd for a detailed review of your latest acquisition..

I am seriously considering this vehicle and assuming this to be an opportune time to get it, wanted some feedback on a couple of things..

Effectiveness of AC for 3rd row We will occasionally travel with kids in the back seat (3rd row). Wondering if the air conditioning is good enough to make up for no vents exclusively for the third row?

Roof Carrier On similar lines considering we will have little room for luggage for outstation trips with all three rows up. The SA did suggest that we could hook on the carrier to the roof rails without any issues. Any thoughts.

Thanks
nm_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 00:15   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm_delhi View Post
Thanks kalyan_hyd for a detailed review of your latest acquisition..

I am seriously considering this vehicle and assuming this to be an opportune time to get it, wanted some feedback on a couple of things..

Effectiveness of AC for 3rd row We will occasionally travel with kids in the back seat (3rd row). Wondering if the air conditioning is good enough to make up for no vents exclusively for the third row?

Roof Carrier On similar lines considering we will have little room for luggage for outstation trips with all three rows up. The SA did suggest that we could hook on the carrier to the roof rails without any issues. Any thoughts.

Thanks
Thanks for the good words. Yes, this is indeed an opportune time to get this car as only the last batch (~50 odd) vehicles in stock seem to be on sale.

There are no vents in the 3rd row. And the sun-screen(under the sun-roof) is not very thick so the heat does trickle into the cabin quite a bit. I would say, with this set-up, it would be manageable but not too comfortable in this car, like say cars with exclusive vents for the 3rd-row passengers.

In Europe and Australia, many users have put-up roof racks on their Tiguan cars and its not uncommon. I also came across this pdf from the Australian site which talks a lot about 'Roof' related accessories
https://www.volkswagen.com.au/idhub/...-March2020.pdf

However, there could be legal aspects to whether a white plate car can or cannot have the roof rack.

--Kalyan
Old 17th December 2020, 21:51   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post
What was the final deal you got and which colour did you go with? Would be good if you can share the breakup.
Hi Mustangvins! Got a deal of 34 lacs on road + the Hi 5 SVP. I chose (rather my wife) the petroleum blue color, but maintaining the white interiors will be a challenge.
Further, I was shocked to discover that the side strip of the seats is actually fabric! WHITE FABRIC!!!!! This is silly cost cutting! This is the only thing about the car that put me off.

Got the voice command activated today!! its cool!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
3M also has the Nomad mats in Beige and Grey colours. Grey will go well with this car.
Yup Kalyan, the FOC Hi5 SVP was a real sweetener !!!

None of the 3M dealers have ready stock of Nomads and are only willing to get the black, I am a bit stuck on the mat issue.

Today I got the voice command activated. And also got the sports pedal fitted.

I have also ordered the loading lip scuff plates.

The Navigation is still pending. Also I have paid for the 5th year warranty, but the dealer has not been able to give the document yet. They say it takes time.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st December 2020 at 02:16. Reason: Posts merged. Quotes trimmed.
Old 19th December 2020, 12:01   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sanjoy

I have been able to download maps and configure it to work with my car, from the link you provided above. As mentioned earlier, this link has the latest version of maps from Nov 23, 2020, for India.

Once we download the maps from this link, there are a few configuration steps as follows:

1 Download India specific maps from this link (need to choose Tiguan Allspace from 2019 and Discover Media, Non-European Countries – Bundle 2):
https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwi...aps-download#/

2 Backup the default "maps" folder from VW SD card to your system
3 Format the SD Card (FAT32 is good)
4 Unzip India maps downloaded. Copy over "maps" folder to the SD card as-is
5 Rename the folder '20' under "maps" main folder in the SD card to '00'
6 Copy OVERALL.NDS from Original backup to the SD card from/to "/maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS"
7 Copy PRODUCT.NDS from Original backup to the SD card from/to "/maps/EEC/PRODUCT.NDS"
8 Copy OVERALL.NDS from Original backup from "/maps/00/nds/PRODUCT/E1/OVERALL.NDS" to the SD card "/maps/00/nds/PRODUCT/IND/OVERALL.NDS"
9 Restart the infotainment system by pressing the ON/OFF button for 10 secs and then insert the SD card

If you want to avoid doing all this, you can also copy over the Zipped archive that I created with the latest maps(after performing above mentioned config steps) from:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...dYgFkJu4aiGT1R

Just unzip the archive and copy the "maps" folder to the formatted SD Card. Restart your Infotainment system by pressing the power button for 10 secs and then insert the SD card. Only VW supplied SD card needs to be used, this will not work with regular SD cards.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 19:12   #73
BHPian

Hi Kalyan,

Firstly congratulations !!

I am on the lookout for a city + occasional highway 5 seater/ 5+2 seater car. I have been with a Corolla for a long long time and time to change. Somehow sedans have not been cleared at home or else there were a few other options.

Have been looking at X1/ CRV/ Endeavor/ Tucson/Kodiaq/ Tiguan but undecided and then the pandemic. It would be a predominantly city ride with occasional highway rides. Intend to do more of holidays but intentions could be different from reality at times.
Reasonable ride quality, power, comfort, premium feel, airiness of the cabin are important.

Some questions:

a). Many reviews (including yours) point out that ride is a bit stiff at low speeds. There was also a comparison with X1 on this thread. I do not have a reference point to compare this with, so any elaboration on this would be appreciated.

b). How would this compare with the Kodiaq feature-wise (is not available, so we can only compare with the ones available internationally) ?

c). I come from cars that had full wheel spare and somehow associate value to it and do not mind paying for that. Is this a big deal or is it that I am associating too much value to it ?

I did read that we require to be careful with wipers. How are you managing to clean the car on an everyday basis ?

thanks.
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 01:17   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd
If you want to avoid doing all this, you can also copy over the Zipped archive that I created with the latest maps(after performing above mentioned config steps) from:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...dYgFkJu4aiGT1R

Just unzip the archive and copy the "maps" folder to the formatted SD Card. Restart your Infotainment system by pressing the power button for 10 secs and then insert the SD card. Only VW supplied SD card needs to be used, this will not work with regular SD cards.
Thank you Kalyan, I shall download from the Google Drive and do the installation.

Got the Namods installed over the weekend and the look like this:
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-whatsapp-image-20201221-12.56.43-am-9.jpeg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-whatsapp-image-20201221-12.56.43-am-1.jpeg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-whatsapp-image-20201221-12.56.43-am-3.jpeg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-whatsapp-image-20201221-12.56.43-am-5.jpeg

got a PPF layer on the AC vent console to protect from shoes moving across the hump...but looks too low now to make meaningful sense.

Sachin at the 3M outlet at NFC, Delhi did a great job!!

But in the excitement, completely forgot about the third row of seats.

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-whatsapp-image-20201221-12.56.43-am-7.jpegMy Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-whatsapp-image-20201221-12.56.43-am-8.jpeg

Total cost was Rs 10520/-. But I think I have to get back to Amit for the third row.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st December 2020 at 02:41. Reason: Quote fixed. Attachment fixed.
Sanjoym is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Hi Kalyan,

Firstly congratulations !!

Have been looking at X1/ CRV/ Endeavor/ Tucson/Kodiaq/ Tiguan but undecided and then the pandemic. It would be a predominantly city ride with occasional highway rides. Intend to do more of holidays but intentions could be different from reality at times.
Reasonable ride quality, power, comfort, premium feel, airiness of the cabin are important.

Some questions:

a). Many reviews (including yours) point out that ride is a bit stiff at low speeds. There was also a comparison with X1 on this thread. I do not have a reference point to compare this with, so any elaboration on this would be appreciated.

b). How would this compare with the Kodiaq feature-wise (is not available, so we can only compare with the ones available internationally) ?

c). I come from cars that had full wheel spare and somehow associate value to it and do not mind paying for that. Is this a big deal or is it that I am associating too much value to it ?

I did read that we require to be careful with wipers. How are you managing to clean the car on an everyday basis ?

thanks.
Hi

Thanks for the wishes.

1. I looked at the cars you've mentioned above. If it's going to be predominantly city-run, Endeavour/ Tiguan/ Kodiaq will not return more than a single-digit Fuel Efficiency. I am hoping you are okay with that. But, leaving these, the other cars(X1/ Tuscon/ CR-V) are only 5 seaters but you mentioned you may need 5+2 seater. So, you will need to compromise on one of the two factors (FE/ 5 seater or 5+2 seaters).

Replies to your questions:
a. I used to own a CBU X1 from 2012 until 2019. And I've owned a 2018 Creta for a year from 2019. I've also driven an Ertiga for over a month last year. As compared to say the Ertiga or the Creta, Allspace definitely has a stiffer suspension which is noticeable predominantly by rear-seat passengers on rough/ undulated roads or while taking the speed breakers within the city. But my X1 had a much stiffer suspension set-up as compared to the Allspace. I'm told India assembled current-gen X1s are much better. I have not test-driven one but based on inputs/ reviews, I'd say Allspace's suspension set-up would be similar to that of current X1. I recommend you to take a ~10 km test-drive on both cars to understand the set-up. Its been a couple of months since I've owned the Allspace and I've finished around 4k km including a long drive to Bangalore (1700 kms to and fro), both on the highways and within two cities Hyderabad and Bangalore. If you play around with the tyre pressure, you won't feel the stiffness as-much. I found 33 - 34 psi to be apt.

b. Allspace and Kodiaq(when available again), will have net to net similar features. Based on the last-gen Kodiaq, I guess these could be additional on the Kodiaq:
i. A better music system with perhaps a sub-woofer.
ii. Some simply-clever features like the Sleep-package for rear-seat passengers, the umbrella, door protectors, rear pull-out sun shades, etc.
iii. Kodiaq will definitely come with the same Petrol engine but there's also a rumour of it getting launched with a 2.0 TDI Diesel engine. Other than this, I do not see much advantage in waiting for the Kodiaq. Point to note would also be that on a newly launched car, there will only be so much discounts/ offers in play. Currently, Allspace is being offered at almost a 5-6 Lakhs on-road discount with 5 years Hi5 service pack (worth ₹ 1.5 lakhs) included i.e. 34.5 Lakhs on road in Hyderabad.

c. I have a similar opinion on having a full-size spare. However, I've not had any major issues with space-savers in my past three cars over the last 6 years. I am going to use this car predominantly as a 5 seater, post a 6-9 month observation period, I plan to get the last two seats uninstalled, it seems possible based on the structure. In which case a full-size spare wheel can be bought and installed in the car.

I have asked my regular cleaners not to touch the new car for two reasons. One being this wiper thing, however, this can be subvented by making sure you always leave the wipers in the service mode when parked within your complex. The main concern for me being the ceramic coat can be spoilt by not wiping the car in a proper fashion. So, as advised by the detailers, I wipe the car myself once in 2-3 days using the Jopasu duster. And once in a month or whenever the car gets wet/ dirty, I get it washed professionally at a nearby place.

--Kalyan

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 21st December 2020 at 11:09.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks