Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2021, 11:35   #181
BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
The price is going up by couple of lacs at ~ 44 lacs OTR BLR.

Now my confusion starts - I like this car but I like the looks of Kodiaq more. Is it worth the wait for another 3-4 months for Kodiaq or should I go ahead with Tiggy?
Hi

44L OTR is way too high a price to pay for this car. I am not sure if any new batch of Allspaces is coming to India this year. I agree with what someone above mentioned that they may not bring-in a new batch to avoid competing internally with the Kodiaq. However, in Hyderabad, cars from the old lot are still available at 34L OTR.

--Kalyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Fuel efficiency seems to have improved after the initial break-in period

The Air conditioning has failed in my car after a mere 800 kilometres of usage. It used to work sometimes at night but recently that has stopped as well. Had to drive the car without A/C in Hyderabad's 40°C weather (very unpleasant).

I absolutely love the shade of silver (Pyrite Silver) on this car. It is by far one of the best shades of silver I've ever seen. Apologies in advance for the photos I captured from the DSLR's screen, I haven't gotten to uploading the files on my laptop and sending it to my phone yet, will do so next time
Hi

Have you driven the car on the ORR or the Highway yet? I am able to extract 12+ consistently on the highways. My city usage is not much but yes, it may not be better than 9 if say the whole tank is emptied with in-city drives.

Pyrite Silver is one of the best shades, period. I agree.

Very disappointed with the pre-mature AC failure in your car. Now that the car is already at VW Mehdipatnam, let them look at it and see what best to do. I would recommend the PPS Motors service centre in Khajaguda. In comparison, they have 22 bays and are far more experienced in handing service as compared to the newly opened VW Mehdipatnam centre. However, with this new CBU, we still need to be on tenterhooks when it comes to any issues what-so-ever.

Wishing you the best, please do keep us posted.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:45   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
Went to the VW whitefield showroom today and took a test drive. The car is amazing to drive and is very spacious as 5 seater and can carry kids when needed in the last row.

- dealer has an MY2020 in red colour ready and is offering 2-3 lacs discount including 3 year maintenance package.
Picked up what is probably the last Tiguan Allspace (2019 Made - MY2020) to be delivered in Bombay.

As posted on some other threads, the hunt for my Vento replacement started in late Dec / early January. A few months before that, I had more or less decided that the Kia Seltos 1.4 DCT would be our new car, but the NCAP test results put that in doubt. Nevertheless, given the absence of other tested cars in the segment, we had not eliminated it from the consideration set.

Fully understand why everyone is falling over each other to buy the Seltos - the interiors are as good as anything, even the diesel AT is good to drive, and the Petrol DCT was outstanding. But it had a 3-4 month waiting period - which made it unattractive.

Also test drove the Hector (not for me - complete lack of power), Innova (certainly not a car for personal use in my view - really disliked driving it) and Carnival (fantastic - but at 5.2 m, a little too long, and hence not suited for our use case). Then I saw this thread on our home page - and how it was raining Tiguans in Team BHP. So decided to test drive the car.

It is clearly NOT a 7 seater - in my view, the two seats in the rear only occupy space and add cost - we would have been very unlikely to have used that row even when our son was under 8 and using a car seat. But the test drive made me realise how much I love driving a Turbo Petrol DSG - the car was super smooth, quiet, responsive, and fantastic at slicing through traffic. While many people have cribbed about the stiff suspension, my family found it fine (we liked the Kia too) - what we really hate in cars is if they are floaty. And my wife really liked the three zone climate control (she hates the fact that the rear of our X3 is not cool enough). We also found the width and middle seat comfort adequate (though not as good as the Hector). And best of all, as a CBU import, it does not have the ridiculous 80 and 120 kph speed alerts (though we can configure an alert and will probably do so before giving the car to our driver).

Spoke to both VW Downtown (who had a white and a silver) and VW Mumbai North (who had a grey and a red). Went for the grey from Mumbai North - both for the colour and the price we got. All of this was in place by early February.

However, I then needed to go through the process of buying back my X3 from my company, getting approval for leasing the Tiguan, getting the lessor to place the order and getting the car registered - with the result that I took delivery only this week - over a month after I closed on the deal. Drove to my sis-in-law’s place in the suburbs - got surprisingly good fuel efficiency, albeit in eco mode with sedate driving.

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-c2d41e6c21da4c7ea79c915c574ffe92.jpeg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-5ce026c2f7fd4a58b484f27092c318cf.jpeg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-a11ebf4d89ea416e85ceba9f217bfc57.jpeg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-b8a6704b8aad4849b0d12710ea8e9914.jpeg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-0d9bf2268168417f9cdeb7c10f318a03.jpeg

Early days yet - but we are so far very happy with the purchase. Will post a more detailed review a few months down the line. Sorry to be hijacking your thread, but thought of posting a few early pics.
Hayek is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 20:07   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi

44L OTR is way too high a price to pay for this car. I am not sure if any new batch of Allspaces is coming to India this year. I agree with what someone above mentioned that they may not bring-in a new batch to avoid competing internally with the Kodiaq. However, in Hyderabad, cars from the old lot are still available at 34L OTR.

Have you driven the car on the ORR or the Highway yet? I am able to extract 12+ consistently on the highways. My city usage is not much but yes, it may not be better than 9 if say the whole tank is emptied with in-city drives.

Pyrite Silver is one of the best shades, period. I agree.

Very disappointed with the pre-mature AC failure in your car. Now that the car is already at VW Mehdipatnam, let them look at it and see what best to do. I would recommend the PPS Motors service centre in Khajaguda. In comparison, they have 22 bays and are far more experienced in handing service as compared to the newly opened VW Mehdipatnam centre. However, with this new CBU, we still need to be on tenterhooks when it comes to any issues what-so-ever.

Wishing you the best, please do keep us posted.

--Kalyan
I did not know that stock is still available in Hyderabad at 34lakhs OTR, when I took delivery I was shown another invoice for a customer at 35lakhs who booked it a few days after me. I was under the impression that most stock across the country is either sold out or selling at 30-32 lakhs ex-showroom.

I have driven the car on the ORR, about 75 kilometres on it so far. Fuel efficiency does certainly improve, I think the highest I have gotten was 12.1kmpl from Nallagandla to Domalguda in traffic averaging around 30kmph. Will drive on the ORR sometime soon and see how much the car gives. Note: I absolutely love using the lane assist coupled with the cruise control, almost 20 seconds of uninterrupted 'autopilot' Seriously contemplating getting Autonomous Driving features enabled very soon. If anyone is planning on doing so for an Allspace please do reach out, as I would love the insight.

Thank you for the recommendation, I figured that I would get a better experience with VW Mehdipatnam as they are the same dealer I purchased the car with. PPS was a terrible sales experience. However, I will check out their centre for the 7500 kilometre service.

Fingers crossed with the VW experience so far, but certainly not a good welcome to ownership. I figure these will be my last daily-use fossil fuel powered vehicles, probably will switch to electric in 5 years if brands other than Tesla offer them.

Quote:
Picked up what is probably the last Tiguan Allspace (2019 Made - MY2020) to be delivered in Bombay.
Congratulations on your new purchase! A far better choice than a Seltos, Creta, or Compass in my opinion.

I agree with the fact that the car is not a 7 seater. It is strictly a 5+2. However, if the need arises I feel that it can be used properly as a 7 seater with discomfort to rear seat passengers.

Please do keep us posted with any updates to your ownership experience. Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the car in total?
Oggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 21:24   #184
BHPian

7500 KM update:
Got my Tiguan AS 7500km or 6 months service done. The ODO stood at 7800km when I took my car for service today. The intervals for maintenance at VW is 7500km/6months inspection service and 15,000km/1 year oil change service.
I'm not comfortable with 15,000km oil change schedule as I feel it's too long for Indian city driving condition, even if I'm using synthetic oil.
So I also opted for oil change service as well along with wiper blade replacement as they didn't cleaned properly since the day I bought the car. Probably the rubber went hard from sitting in sun for too long in stockyard.

Niggles/fault in 4 months:
1. Just yesterday the boot didn't open after pressing boot release button. The latch did unlock but the motors didn't lift the boot up. I pressed the button again, and then the boot rose up.
2. The boot light which can be removed and used as a torch, but it doesn't hold charge when I remove it from its housing. Showed it to technician at the workshop but the multimeter in workshop wasn't working so they couldn't trace the fault.
3. Sunroof started creaking after a long 1700km+ road trip. It was fixed with lubrication during the service.

Workshop experience:
It was abysmal to say the least. The only good thing was I was able to stay close with the vehicle while work was being done and all the parts needed for general service were in stock.
There was no co-ordination between department:
1. I wanted to have alignment done but the car was never aligned at the alignment machine, instead it was taken on a road test where alignment was "Within Spec". I later got the alignment charges removed from the final bill and will take it to my trusted alignment shop outside.
2. Interestingly, the charges for "Wheel balance weight" are astronomical at 500 bucks a tire.
3. I also opted for dry-cleaning service which never did happen because of their inability to co-ordinate what services are required for a particular vehicle. Again, got the charges removed from final bill.

Final Bill:
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-img_4059.jpg

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-img_4060.jpg

Llumar Platinum PPF is holding up quite well after 4 months. The edges were tucked in behind the panels so there is no problems of peeling due to pressure wash.
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-img_4047.jpg
Dhruv29 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 22:09   #185

Hi,

First of all thank you Kalyan for the detailed review which helped in my buying process. I got mine (pure white) towards in Feb from Palace Cross, Bangalore.

So far I haven't driven a lot, it has been just over 1000kms.

1. The ride is a bumpy at low speed which I think is by design. It was delivered with full load tyre pressure. I got it to 33, it became better but somehow I didn't like the ride quality as much so I now set it at 35. I would like to know what others are setting it at.
2. I could get the recent maps (Nov 2020) posted at https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/m.../en/index.html to work by following a similar process that Kalyan mentioned. Except, you can't use the original maps that comes with it. So it was a mix of files between the india maps and EU maps. The process is very similar. If required, i can upload the folder as well.
3. I did a 3M "paint shield and shine" package of ceramic coating after considering few options. It was around 25K. I can't say that I see a lot of difference - probably time will tell
4. I got this warning "Error: Emergency call. Workshop!" after few hours of driving. After switching off the ignition, this goes away and comes back after few hours of continuous drive. Volkswagen representative mentioned not to worry about it. But I am not sure. Anyone else faced something similar?
5. I keep the front assist deactivated because i experience some unpleasant emergency braking. That keeps the yellow warning on and I have to switch it off every time i start the car. Any workaround ?

I am yet to explore more and will upload the pictures soon.

- Pravu
pravu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 22:29   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the car in total?
Don’t rub it in please. Road tax in MH on imports / corporate registered cars is 20% on headline price (before discounts). So just road tax (including service charges) was over ₹ 7 lakhs. When I look at ₹34 or 35 l OTR (presumably with insurance), I fall over with envy

Last edited by Hayek : 14th March 2021 at 22:33.
Hayek is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 23:31   #187

The VW experience in India is awful to say the least. The cars are fantastic and everything else just isn't. Buyers are left with the choice of a great car and poor experience or vice versa. It's a long shot to hope that that will change in upcoming years as not a lot has happened in the last decade when it comes to VW.

Quote:
1.The ride is a bumpy at low speed which I think is by design. It was delivered with full load tyre pressure. I got it to 33, it became better but somehow I didn't like the ride quality as much so I now set it at 35. I would like to know what others are setting it at.
35 is the best setting, period. My car was barely drivable when I took delivery, it was a terrible ride. Much to my surprise when I went to check the tyre pressures all four corners had 45+ PSI filled with the highest being the driver's side front tyre at 51 PSI. I'm surprised that they didn't explode. 35 is the optimum pressure between comfort, handling, and fuel efficiency although it would be interesting to see if others have found something different.

Quote:
4. I got this warning "Error: Emergency call. Workshop!" after few hours of driving. After switching off the ignition, this goes away and comes back after few hours of continuous drive. Volkswagen representative mentioned not to worry about it. But I am not sure. Anyone else faced something similar?
That is the SOS error, since the car is a CBU unit it faces this issue. To my knowledge every recent VW group CBU car has this issue and the SA reckons VW will roll out a software update in the months to come to rectify this.

Quote:
5. I keep the front assist deactivated because i experience some unpleasant emergency braking. That keeps the yellow warning on and I have to switch it off every time i start the car. Any workaround ?
I have never once faced the emergency braking intervening. The closest I have gotten was a warning on the instrument cluster. I don't know a workaround but I believe there are settings that allow you to change the sensitivity of the system, mine is set to medium, perhaps a different setting may help.

Quote:
Don’t rub it in please. Road tax in MH on imports / corporate registered cars is 20% on headline price (before discounts). So just road tax (including service charges) was over ₹ 7 lakhs. When I look at ₹34 or 35 l OTR (presumably with insurance), I fall over with envy
My sincere apologies. I was not aware of the MH taxes, did not mean to rub it in or offend anyone, just a bit curious. If it's any consolation, we all got screwed over by VW India, some got the 5 year SVP some did not, some paid 38 with no offers some paid 33 with a 5 year SVP. The overall experience left a sour taste for us with the pricing and everything else, but it is what it is.

I feel we overpaid for our BMW and we dwelled on that for quite some time (sort of regretted not getting a 520d). The realisation, however, is that irrespective of what happened, there's no point looking at the past (as GTI said) and rather focus on many happy miles to come.
Oggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 11:16   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Many congratulations on your new purchase. The real pleasure of this car is on the highways. We would like to hear about that sometime. There is no point in comparing mileage within city drives, in bumper to bumper conditions, it would only go down. And please don't worry about hijacking the thread or anything like that. It is awesome to have as many Allspace owners update their good, bad and ugly experiences here so that a new prospective buyer may get a wholesome perspective.

Quote:
I did not know that stock is still available in Hyderabad at 34lakhs OTR, when I took delivery I was shown another invoice for a customer at 35lakhs who booked it a few days after me. I was under the impression that most stock across the country is either sold out or selling at 30-32 lakhs ex-showroom.

Thank you for the recommendation, I figured that I would get a better experience with VW Mehdipatnam as they are the same dealer I purchased the car with. PPS was a terrible sales experience. However, I will check out their centre for the 7500 kilometre service.
Well, a certain customer paying a certain price for a car is always there, even in the month I got my car, there were folks at both ends of the spectrum, ones that had paid more than what I had, and ones that had paid less. I think it boils down to the negotiating capability esp when the Company/ Dealer is a bit flexible with the pricing.

I also purchased the car from Mody VW and hence went to VW Mehdipatnam the first two-three times (Once for the Swagat service, and two other times for the SOS warning issue.). But, a fellow Allspace owner tried PPS Motors at Khajaguda and recommended them so I am sending my car for the 2nd checkup service to PPS Motors this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
Niggles/fault in 4 months

It was abysmal to say the least.

Llumar Platinum PPF is holding up quite well after 4 months. The edges were tucked in behind the panels so there is no problems of peeling due to pressure wash.
It's scary to read about the service experience or niggles from Allspace owners this soon into the car purchase period. I have my fingers crossed. VW should definitely do more on this front. I was of the opinion with India 2.0 strategy and a lot of new investment here with respect to new cars from the VW/ Skoda stable, etc, the customer experience aspect would be improved. But it doesn't look like that at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravu View Post
So far I haven't driven a lot, it has been just over 1000kms.

1. The ride is a bumpy at low speed which I think is by design. It was delivered with full load tyre pressure. I got it to 33, it became better but somehow I didn't like the ride quality as much so I now set it at 35. I would like to know what others are setting it at.
2. I could get the recent maps (Nov 2020) posted at https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/m.../en/index.html to work by following a similar process that Kalyan mentioned. Except, you can't use the original maps that comes with it. So it was a mix of files between the india maps and EU maps. The process is very similar. If required, i can upload the folder as well.
3. I did a 3M "paint shield and shine" package of ceramic coating after considering few options. It was around 25K. I can't say that I see a lot of difference - probably time will tell

I am yet to explore more and will upload the pictures soon.

- Pravu
Thanks for the good words, Pravu.

Many congratulations on your new purchase. Same pinch (for the White Colour).

1. Once you have reduced the tyre pressure to anywhere between 33-35, and say driven for the first 2-3k kms, I think your issue with the bumpy ride may get resolved. Atleast, that's what I felt in my car. Kinda suspension easing up a bit or the tyres going a bit less brittle/ soft, etc.

2. Good to know about the maps update, will do it on my maps too.

3. On a white car, it's not easy to see a difference, but I find maintenance easier with Jopasu duster once I've had the ceramic coat. So, now car maintenance is self-cleaning with Jopasu for 15 mins every weekday. Once in a whole esp after a highway drive, I take it to a car wash and hose the dust/ sand down.

4. Yes SOS warning has been in all Allspaces that I have known so far. The frequency of the warning's appearance is different in each car. I have complained to VW, the local dealer and I am sending my car to an alternative dealer this week for the 7500 kms check-up, have complained about the SOS error. Let's see, but there is a possibility that a software update may resolve this in the future. My main issue is not about this warning, but as we tend to ignore this warning, there are chances that we may accidentally ignore other serious warnings.

5. So, Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) is one thing and Front Assist is another. AEB can be disabled from the Infotainment menu. Once disabled, AEB will not get enabled automatically. Front Assist, on the other hand, gets auto-enabled every time we restart the engine. Front Assist in my case, most of the time, warns me of the car's proximity to another vehicle in the front, or at times about pedestrians, etc but very rarely applies brakes onto its own. So, I do not disable it.

--Kalyan

Quote:
The VW experience in India is awful to say the least. The cars are fantastic and everything else just isn't.
Very true. I knew what I was getting into when I got the car. But, I was betting on the probability that VW/ Skoda may do their bit in enhancing customer experience, fingers crossed.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 14:34   #189
BHPian

Quote:
I did not know that stock is still available in Hyderabad at 34lakhs OTR, when I took delivery I was shown another invoice for a customer at 35lakhs who booked it a few days after me.
We have seen wide variation in the OTR price and it depends on the customer's negotiating skill and contacts. Happy to help if anyone in Hyd is interested in grabbing an Allspace.

Quote:
I have driven the car on the ORR, about 75 kilometres on it so far. Fuel efficiency does certainly improve, I think the highest I have gotten was 12.1kmpl from Nallagandla to Domalguda in traffic averaging around 30kmph. Will drive on the ORR sometime soon and see how much the car gives. Note: I absolutely love using the lane assist coupled with the cruise control, almost 20 seconds of uninterrupted 'autopilot' Seriously contemplating getting Autonomous Driving features enabled very soon. If anyone is planning on doing so for an Allspace please do reach out, as I would love the insight.
On highways, I have been getting around 12 - 13 km/l and it goes up if we drive a bit more sedately. Within city, it varies a bit based on traffic conditions and I have seen between 8 - 10 km/l.

The lane assist and cruise control works beautifully well on the ORR. The ACC would have made it very close to being an autonomous car and some of us are going to explore this in the near future. We believe, changing the steering controls for now should be enough as the car already comes with the radar.

Quote:

Fingers crossed with the VW experience so far, but certainly not a good welcome to ownership.

Congratulations on your new purchase! A far better choice than a Seltos, Creta, or Compass in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
7500 KM update:
Got my Tiguan AS 7500km or 6 months service done.
Workshop experience:
It was abysmal to say the least. The only good thing was I was able to stay close with the vehicle while work was being done and all the parts needed for general service were in stock.
I started my search with a Seltos, Creta and Compass and can confidently say that none of them are even close to what this car as a package offers. Its a car built keeping safety and driving pleasure as the primary criteria and all enthusiasts would definitely enjoy this. The engine and gearbox combination is probably the best one can get below the 50L price point and buttery smooth irrespective of traffic conditions.

VW should definitely improve on the training and knowledge of the cars they launch and more so for their premium cars. Most of the service issues seem to be due to the technicians' lack of knowledge and lack of proper tools. For most things, they seem to be relying and waiting on their German counterparts and being a CBU, parts availability is also an issue. But having said this, we all probably knew what we were getting into when we got a CBU!

Quote:
Hi,

- Pravu
1. I have set it at 34 and increase it to 35-36 depending on the load and that has so far worked fine for us.
2. Thanks for this info. I will also get it updated to the recent maps.
3. The paint quality is extremely good and i have not not found a need for any additional coatings so far.
4. This is a common issue and there is no resolution yet. There are times when I would not get this warning for days together and again it would pop up suddenly for no reason. Try switching off bluetooth in your phone temporarily and see if that stops the warning for that duration.
5. Front Assist is different from Emergency braking. You can deactivate the emergency braking in the settings. Front Assist is still helpful and I would recommend keeping it active.
mustangvins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:53   #190

Thank you Kalyan and Mustangvins
Quote:

5. So, Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) is one thing and Front Assist is another. AEB can be disabled from the Infotainment menu. Once disabled, AEB will not get enabled automatically. Front Assist, on the other hand, gets auto-enabled every time we restart the engine. Front Assist in my case, most of the time, warns me of the car's proximity to another vehicle in the front, or at times about pedestrians, etc but very rarely applies brakes onto its own. So, I do not disable it.

--Kalyan
Can you help me locate on what exactly the setting is called and where to find this on the menu ? Is that "Maneuver braking" ?

Does VW have any plans for giving the connected car app to Tiguan that comes with vento? or is there any workaround? There are a few third party OBD devices like Autowiz etc, any experience on it?
Old 17th March 2021, 15:37   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Kalyan and Mustangvins

Can you help me locate on what exactly the setting is called and where to find this on the menu ? Is that "Maneuver braking" ?

Does VW have any plans for giving the connected car app to Tiguan that comes with vento? or is there any workaround? There are a few third party OBD devices like Autowiz etc, any experience on it?
You are right, under the parking and manoeuvring settings, you will find Manoeuvre braking setting. Disable it if you do not want AEB on all the time. Once dis-abled, this won't reset itself.

Here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...202_183345.jpg

Also, check these settings for the sensitivity of the Front Assist systems:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...202_183320.jpg

It doesn't appear like VW has any such plans at the moment. Some folks have used OBDEleven and VCDS to connect their cars and do some coding stuff mostly for minor changes like RLine console, some colour changes on the display, etc. Nothing major that I know of. Some of us here are eager to get the ACC stuff done.

--Kalyan
Old 21st March 2021, 10:01   #192

Quote:
Some of us here are eager to get the ACC stuff done.

--Kalyan
What all is needed for it? Is it only software or the steering controls have to be changed? If so any direction? I can do some research as well.
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:20   #193

Hi All,

This is my first post here! Been an avid reader of Team BHP for the last 2 years and have always been amazed by the knowledge and brotherhood of this exclusive community! I am in the market to upgrade from my first gen Honda Amaze as we just had a baby and we also have two dogs. Looking for a 7 seater SUV that’s big enough for 2 adults to sit comfortably in the back seat along with a car seat and a third row which can be pushed down to make space for my two dogs to travel (lying down) on long road trips etc. I checked out the Safari and the boot space with the last row folded down is only 447 litres which is not quite enough. Called up a Volkswagen dealer in Mumbai to check if there are any Allspace’s left and the sales rep said they are sold out and a new batch is expected to arrive in May. Incidentally he was currently returning from somewhere in an Allspace and can give me a test drive if I am free in another 15-20 mins as my house was on his way to the dealership. Seemed genuine as he will not be able to make it within 20 mins if he was driving from the dealership so he should have been out. Test drove the car and loved it as I am a petrol head and not too fond of diesels ( marred by the experience of my Indica V2 from 2004!) Just prefer the refined , smooth free revving petrol engine more. The car also felt a lot more premium than the Safari and had that typical understated VW characteristics. The middle row was quite big and there was a massive boot space with the last row folded down. So fits my requirements very well.
Now here’s the deal - he told me that this test car ( run for 6K ) is available and it has been maintained very well as the buyers in this segment are more mature and don’t rash drive during test drives and the dealership also maintains it well as it’s a premium car. It’s unregistered but the warranty has started in July 2020 but he can try and get me a 4+1 starting from Jul 2020 and also try to talk to his management for a preferred price if he gets some commitment from me. The chap seemed like a good guy and answered all my questions patiently. Now as you all know, CBU on-road prices in Mumbai are more expensive due to the higher taxation. The new batch is expected to retail at 44.6 I believe as there has been a hike of 1 lakh on the Ex showroom price of the new car. As quoted by members here, don’t think this car is worth that much and not sure if there will be any discounts atleast in the beginning. Will be great to get some of your thoughts on the test drive car - Is it a good idea and any tips on how much discount should I negotiate? The car seemed to have maintained well and the sales reps also seemed very professional ( unlike the guys in Tata!) Also read in the thread that there are new cars available from the old batch at around 34 lakhs OTR in Hyd. Would it be a good idea to pick up a new one from Hyd? Appreciate your views. Apologies for the long post.
Aken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:59   #194
BHPian

Hi, its quite evident from your post here that the Allspace ticks all the boxes as per your requirements, however many here will suggest not to touch a TEST DRIVE vehicle as these are generally abused ( irrespective of it being run 6K).

In addition if your referring to the white one at VW Downtown, its definitely not in the best condition, or is it another dealer in Mumbai? the unregistered test drive car maybe cheaper in comparison to the new lot of CBU cars that would come in, nevertheless do tread with caution.
TRANSAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:14   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aken View Post
Also read in the thread that there are new cars available from the old batch at around 34 lakhs OTR in Hyd. Would it be a good idea to pick up a new one from Hyd? Appreciate your views. Apologies for the long post.
If a new Allspace was available anywhere in India, I would certainly go for that. Believe VW Mumbai North is the same firm which has a Hyd dealership, so you could check there, but when I took delivery of my car, he told me this was the last car they were going to deliver - and they had already sold even their test drive car.

Even if you got a new car for ₹29-30 l ex showroom, it would be at least ₹ 37-38 l on the road in Mumbai - so depending on what you are getting the test drive car for, it may be a deal worth considering seriously. In addition to the 4+1 year warranty, negotiate for the 5 year service package - extending service package from 3 to 5 years is fairly expensive as well.

Do agree that a new car at full price would be expensive - at ₹ 34 l list, it would be almost ₹43 l OTR. You should also consider the new Kodiaq - could be cheaper OTR if locally assembled (assuming you are buying as an individual), but will likely be June before it hits the road.
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks