Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 18:09   #241
bvk
BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep

Congratulations Narayan Babu - wish you lots of happy miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanbabu View Post
Recently got a small fridge + fan (for 3rd row).
Can you please point to which ones you got and from where? A fan would be quite helpful on long journeys as there is no AC vent for the 3rd row.
Old 21st September 2021, 20:34   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post
I have been getting 8-11.5 kmpl in city depending on traffic and distance covered. On highways cruising under 120 yields 13.5-15kmpl.
Thanks!!
Not bad if you get 10+ in city. On highways, looks like it can go way below if you move above 140 then..
Old 21st September 2021, 21:39   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Allspace TSI owners, what is the mileage that you have experienced in city and highways?
Been consistently clocking less than 9.5kmpl for the last 2K kms. This time around I tried Shell premium + conscious focus on mileage while driving, it gave me 11+ on the whole tank. (Which includes 40% city drives and 60% highways), still super happy. Now, I don't know if this is because of my driving style change or petrol. Will isolate this in the next tank.
My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-fuel.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvk View Post
Can you please point to which ones you got and from where? A fan would be quite helpful on long journeys as there is no AC vent for the 3rd row.

But my suggestion is to get a USB fan like this. Because I use both from the boot socket (cigarette lighter), I can't use both at the same time. You can use the second row USB socket to power the fan, and boot socket for fridge. There are some fans, which can be directly wired to the battery, but I find it too much of a risk.
Also, I have a low-tech portable chiller, which I use regularly.

Before you guys judge me, I have a 1.5 and 4 year old, and I prefer not to eat from random highway joints, so I stock up for my drives
narayanbabu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 01:26   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Allspace TSI owners, what is the mileage that you have experienced in city and highways?
Finally purchased the Tiggy in Mar (thanks to all the great posts and the lockdown itch).

Mileage is 8.5-10.5 though there’s an error of about 0.5-1 so have never got actual tankful mileage at 10 Kmpl.

Also had the *worst* experience with VW Capital at Okhla (post for another day). Needed to fix wipers which were making a loud scraping noise and were leaving water marks while sweeping (making them effectively useless) - did anyone else face the same?

Overall found the car great except for -
1. the TPMS (I set it but nothing happens so I guess it only reacts when there is loss of pressure),
2. Boot closure - it opens from the driver side button but doesn’t close with the same button?!?
3. Random reset of tankful and long term tripmeter - haven’t been able to figure this out. It every once in a while these tripmeters revert to 0 without me doing anything! Could be the cleaner pushing the tank lid but he doesn’t have the keys so really at a loss on how that could open the fuel tank / reset the tankful tripmeter.
4. AC is fine but not too great - if anyone else hears about the recall will be good to know.
—- Edit —- 5. Treatment at service center leaves much to be desired for a top of the line model costing 35+ big ones!!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th October 2021 at 13:26. Reason: No discussion of whatsapp groups pls.
prnvaa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:36   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnvaa View Post
Finally purchased the Tiggy in Mar (thanks to all the great posts and the lockdown itch).
Congrats on your new ride! Its a drivers car and will always put a smile on your face every time you sit in the driver's seat.

Quote:
Mileage is 8.5-10.5 though there’s an error of about 0.5-1 so have never got actual tankful mileage at 10 Kmpl.
That's typically what most of us get within the city. On highways, it goes up to 13-14 and if you drive more sedately and within the speed limits, you should be able to get even more. Use the cruise control whenever you can.

Quote:
Overall found the car great except for -
1. the TPMS (I set it but nothing happens so I guess it only reacts when there is loss of pressure),
2. Boot closure - it opens from the driver side button but doesn’t close with the same button?!?
3. Random reset of tankful and long term tripmeter - haven’t been able to figure this out. It every once in a while these tripmeters revert to 0 without me doing anything! Could be the cleaner pushing the tank lid but he doesn’t have the keys so really at a loss on how that could open the fuel tank / reset the tankful tripmeter.
4. AC is fine but not too great - if anyone else hears about the recall will be good to know.
—- Edit —- 5. Treatment at service center leaves much to be desired for a top of the line model costing 35+ big ones!!
1. Yes, the TPMS just alerts when there is a drop in pressure unlike the old Tiguan which shows the actual tyre pressure on each tyre. Not ideal though.
2. Yes, from what i heard, its set that way due to some safety reasons.
3. The long term tripmeter resets after it has reached a certain value from what the service technician told me but i haven't faced a similar issue with the tankful meter. Would like to know if other owners have any similar experience with the trip meter.
4. No idea about the recall but in general, AC in these European cars are not so strong compared to the other cars.
5. Try any alternate service center.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th October 2021 at 13:26. Reason: deleting whatsapp group discussions.
mustangvins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 00:54   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangvins View Post

3. The long term tripmeter resets after it has reached a certain value from what the service technician told me but i haven't faced a similar issue with the tankful meter. Would like to know if other owners have any similar experience with the trip meter.
Long term trip meter resets in 99 hours and 59 minutes in T Roc.
Old 29th September 2021, 21:33   #247
BHPian

The vehicle status on the info screen showed a report "Front Assist Impaired". Checked the cluster, there was no indication there. After an hour of driving, the report went away.

Complained at the service centre, they checked and said that it got deactivated somehow and they have fixed it.

From the cluster, I cant be convinced that its fixed as it never said FA was deactivated by highlighting on the bottom as the display as is expected.

Is there any way I can check this without crashing the car?
Old 30th September 2021, 16:06   #248
VND
BHPian

Hi Sanjoym,

I also faced the same issue a week back, while driving suddenly there was an error that "Front Assist Impaired", I tried to check via system but didn't see anything and after that it was just 2 warning sings lit up as per attached picture. The error / warning signs were gone after 10-15 minutes of driving.

My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep-ae6dd4fe5cb748dba11161ea7cbf0595.jpg

According to my observation (checked for 3 days) the error came during the first drive of the day and after that nothing, nada for the whole day. Thinking of it as a technical glitch I got the car scanned at the workshop while I was there for my 6 months checkup but nothing - there was no error code whatsoever.

Would appreciate inputs from the fellow owners as well, thank you!
VND is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 21:11   #249
BHPian

Hi Sanjoym,
We got our Tiguan Allspace in December 2020. I had faced the same issue. It pops up in heavy traffic or dusty conditions and disappears on its own or after restarting. The service center could not detect the cause. I got disturbed a lot like you to realize later that these are certain niggles to expect from the CBU. Another one you may face would be the engine oil warning close to 10000 kilometers. We have covered 25000 kilometers and are very happy with the vehicle as of now. Let me tell you, don't spoil your peace of mind. Please drive safely and enjoy your Tiguan.
Dr ST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:38   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjoym View Post
Complained at the service centre, they checked and said that it got deactivated somehow and they have fixed it.

Is there any way I can check this without crashing the car?
Hi Sanjoy,

I understand the doubt you have esp when the service center claimed to have fixed the de-activated "Front Assist" function.

As "Front Assist" cannot be permanently disabled by us users, and it comes on automatically every time we re-start the engine, I am guessing it shows as 'Enabled' on the cluster in your case.

In such a condition, one of the uses/ features of the Front Assist is to notify the user if we are getting too close to a vehicle in front of us, so, I'd say the best way to check that is to get onto an expressway or a highway with a speed limit of > 65 kmph and drive as ever. As we start getting closer to a vehicle in front and our car speed is > 65 kmph, you would see an icon representing your vehicle is getting dangerously close to the vehicle in the front at the bottom of your cluster.

The way Front Assist works, as I have observed, experienced and read in the manual is:

1. Visual warning when ones car is going at speeds > 65 kmph and getting close to a vehicle upfront.

2. A visual Red Car symbol on the culster warning its time to brake. This generally happens post the above warning if the vehicle in front of us brakes inadvertently and the car thinks we didn't brake early enough.

3. This visual Red car symbol mentioned above now comes back with a 'Ding' sound and the car applies the brakes to slow it down. The accelerator and the brake are very much in the users control.

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 16:14   #251
BHPian

Quote:
My car gave a report on the vehicle status, front assist is impaired. The message went off after when i checked again after an hour of driving. However, there was not indication on the cluster.
Sent the car to the service center, they said somehow it got deactivated and they have fixed it. Is there any way to test it rather than actually trying to crash?

Since the indicator on the cluster did not show anything in the earlier instance when it was deactivated, I cant trust by that only.
No need to worry just clean the front VW logo with water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi Sanjoy,

The way Front Assist works, as I have observed, experienced and read in the manual is:

1. Visual warning when ones car is going at speeds > 65 kmph and getting close to a vehicle upfront.

2. A visual Red Car symbol on the culster warning its time to brake. This generally happens post the above warning if the vehicle in front of us brakes inadvertently and the car thinks we didn't brake early enough.

3. This visual Red car symbol mentioned above now comes back with a 'Ding' sound and the car applies the brakes to slow it down. The accelerator and the brake are very much in the users control.

--Kalyan
1. Visual warning : DISTANCE WARNING -The system detects when safety is endangered by driving too close to the vehicle in front.
The indicator lamp lights up. Increase the distance. It activates above 65 kmph.

2. Red Warning: Advance warning -The system detects a possible collision and prepares the vehicle for possible emergency
braking. An acoustic warning sounds and the red warning lamp lights up. Brake or take avoiding action. It activates above 30 kmph

3. Urgent warning: If the driver does not react to the advance warning, the system may initiate a short braking jolt in
order to draw attention to the increasing collision risk. Brake or take avoiding action. It activates above 30 kmph and when the front vehicle is also moving.

4. Automatic braking :If the driver also does not react to the urgent warning, the vehicle can be braked automatically
with braking force that increases in several stages. The reduced speed means that it is possible to minimise the consequences of an accident. It activates above 5 kmph

5. Braking intervention : If the system detects that the driver is braking insufficiently when there is a risk of collision, the
system can increase the braking force and help prevent a collision. The braking intervention takes place only for as long as the brake pedal is pressed hard. It activates above 5 kmph.

Last edited by sagwal : 5th October 2021 at 16:29. Reason: merge
sagwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 02:24   #252
BHPian

Thanks VND, Dr ST, Ever trusted expert Kalyan and Sagwal. Went thru some literature and figured that Front assist also has a pedestrian safety feature. It goes as follows -When traveling between 4 mph and 18.6 mph, the car will stop itself if it detects an impending collision with a person. If going between 18.6 mph and 40 mph, it will send both audio and visual alerts in an attempt to caution the driver. If the driver does not act, the system will still engage automatic braking.

Tried this with a low hanging branch, and it worked!!!!!! in fact the brakes stopped the car!!!!

Guys the Tiggy works!!!!
Sanjoym is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 00:55   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Mileage is not bothersome at the moment. I have recently moved to IOL XP95 petrol which is roughly ₹ 4/. per litre more than the usual 91 Octane Petrol but I have seen 0.5 - 0.7 kmpl increment in mileage owing to this.

As I am used to having a tankful most of the time in the city and prefer refuelling when it hits 1/2 mark. Also, going forward, I may have an issue finding a bunk with XP95 fuel on the highways.

--Kalyan
Hi Kalyan

You’re right about XP95. Even I myself experienced much refinement and better FE on my Troc. I guess you’re staying nearby LB Nagar. May I know from where are you getting xp95 refilled for your AllSpace in this area. I had to drive 15 odd kms to get XP95 from COCO bunk. But I’m unsure to what extent we can trust local dealers.The list updated in the Indian oil website is also not up to date. The below link will also help us with the bunks offering XP95 with the contact numbers after inputting the source and destination.

https://associates.indianoil.co.in/P...r/routeROs.jsp
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IOCL Pump Locator.pdf (669.7 KB, 835 views)
Old 17th October 2021, 13:23   #254
BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle status on the info screen showed a report "Front Assist Impaired". Checked the cluster, there was no indication there. After an hour of driving, the report went away.
Exact same thing happened to mine as well. Went away after a bit. Kinda worried looking at the responses.

Quote:
Thanks VND, Dr ST, Ever trusted expert Kalyan and Sagwal. Went thru some literature and figured that Front assist also has a pedestrian safety feature. It goes as follows -When traveling between 4 mph and 18.6 mph, the car will stop itself if it detects an impending collision with a person. If going between 18.6 mph and 40 mph, it will send both audio and visual alerts in an attempt to caution the driver. If the driver does not act, the system will still engage automatic braking.

Tried this with a low hanging branch, and it worked!!!!!! in fact the brakes stopped the car!!!!

Guys the Tiggy works!!!!
I thought this was not enabled in India? (60+ feature on Highway is enabled, but pedestrian one "Traffic Jam assist" is not) or am I wrong here?

Something really bad happened to my car. I was driving in woods (absolute no civilisation for 20km radius), I had parked the car and after a while as I started, I heard a high pitched hissing sound, initially sounded like gas leaking, then it was clear it was a metal-metal screeching sound. As I kept driving the sound became more and more strong. Almost like when trains brake, the wheels screeching, my heart was raising, as this is a brand new car (< 15K km) and all sorts of bad things started coming to my head. I asked my wife to take the wheel and I got out to see where this was coming from. It was from the front left wheel, I didn't know what to do.
I called roadside assistance, they said they will tow the vehicle, I was 80Km from Bangalore, with my two kids (2y, 4y) and wife, it was 7:15PM, I was like what will we do now?, and then I asked them can I drive 80Km in this condition. He didn't sound technical and was not able to even identify / relate to the problem. So I took a chance, but as I was distracted, I missed a turn. So, took reverse (for maybe 50-100m) and then when I went forward the sound was gone. Never occurred ever again.
Don't know what it was, I even recorded that sound on my phone. sends me chills even now when I think of that night. Can anybody explain what it was?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th October 2021 at 13:27. Reason: deleting whatsapp group discussions.
Old 17th October 2021, 14:20   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanbabu View Post
Don't know what it was, I even recorded that sound on my phone. sends me chills even now when I think of that night. Can anybody explain what it was?
Must be a pebble/stone stuck between the brake disc and the disc cover. When you reversed, the stone fell and the sound was gone. Service center can confirm by removing the front wheel and checking for scouring mark on the disc.

I faced something similar on my previous car, a WagonR. My neighborhood garage removed the pebble in 2 mins after removing the wheel and my car was good to go.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th October 2021 at 14:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks