Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 14:52   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitaramnaik13 View Post
There are no marks on the dics, but I can hear and feel the thud sound in the car, vibrations are felt inside as well. The sound is only coming from the rear left side, definitely something to do with the left side rear wheel. As advised by you I am also planning to escalate this to VW directly.
Ask them to open the caliper, inspect the rotor for any warping. Should not happen on a new car but worth checking. First step is that, second could be warped hub but chances are slim. If dealer seems incompetent, try another dealer.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 12:00   #227
BHPian

Some Tiguan allspaces(demo cars) for sale in TN with dealers offering hefty discounts. Whether to go for them if they offer a sweet deal is a big question. Current offers around 34- 35 lacs OTR Chennai. If I do go for a demo car , what are things I should check/consider before signing the cheque. Also is the Tiguan allspace due for a facelift anytime soon?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 7th September 2021, 12:23   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have noticed a problem with my Tiguan Allspace. If I wash my car and thereafter if it sits in the garage for more than 2 days there is a abnormal thudding sound coming from the rear wheels while braking, more the braking more is the sound. After driving the car for few kms, this sound wanes off and thereafter it disappears. I have uploaded the video of this problem on YouTube, please find the link below
It seems the parking brake, particularly after a car wash remains slightly damp and is not drying up fully. Hence when you drive off, although "electronically" the brakes show that they are released, maybe a bit of muck and brake dust is causing a bit of a "gumming" effect and not releasing the parking brake calipers. It's definitely a mechanical interference, hence it'll not show up on diagnostics.
Open up the brakes, degrease them, clean them thoroughly with good old fashioned petrol and a clean rag and fit it back. Check the calliper pins once as well for any looseness.
arjab is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 13:43   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
It will be interesting to know if any of our Allspace owners had this issue. Also will appreciate if anybody can help me to figure out the issue.

Thanks
Hi,

I own an Allspace and am in touch with a set of 5-6 other owners from Hyderabad. None of us have faced this issue so far. It definitely does not sound normal. As others have suggested, either visit another dealer in your city/ proximity or escalate via VW Customer care. Tweets to them help a lot too. From my experience, they are a bit slow in their response but have a proper mechanism to follow up. You just have to keep on making sure that the issue is documented whenever you go to any service station.

Just my hunch, if you have crossed 5-6k kms in your car or more, wheel balancing/ alignment may help with diagnosing the issue to the core. As you mentioned in another thread about the rear left wheel causing the noise, post tyre rotation if say this shifts to another side, it could be the wheel and not the brakes/ discs causing this. From the video, it just feels like it's some hardware gone lose on the respective brake callipers/ discs/ wheel mechanism and hence the hunch that opening up the wheels during the balancing/ alignment activity might help to zero in on the root cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Some Tiguan allspaces(demo cars) for sale in TN with dealers offering hefty discounts. Whether to go for them if they offer a sweet deal is a big question. Current offers around 34- 35 lacs OTR Chennai. If I do go for a demo car , what are things I should check/consider before signing the cheque. Also is the Tiguan allspace due for a facelift anytime soon?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Hi

Firstly, 34-35L OTR is not offering hefty discounts. I know of some folks that got this same car in Dec, 2020 at 32L OTR in Hyderabad. Please read this thread that I had replied to another prospective demo car buyer earlier:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5118587 (My Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace - Ownership Review & Upkeep)

--Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 16:32   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have noticed a problem with my Tiguan Allspace. If I wash my car and thereafter if it sits in the garage for more than 2 days there is a abnormal thudding sound coming from the rear wheels while braking, more the braking more is the sound. After driving the car for few kms, this sound wanes off and thereafter it disappears. I have uploaded the video of this problem on YouTube, please find the link below

https://Youtu.be/GIOjWRz6KgM

I had taken it to the dealer but when I drive it to the dealer the sound disappears, as its occurrence is only for few kms after it is out of the garage, the dealer informed me that there are no fault codes and he has inspected the brakes pads. After receiving the car from the dealer the problem was still there. It will be interesting to know if any of our Allspace owners had this issue. Also will appreciate if anybody can help me to figure out the issue.

Thanks
I have a B8 Passat and it used to happen with my car as well. Turns out if you wash the wheels with loads of water and then keep the car parked for a day or two, the electronic parking brake (rear pads) remain stuck to the discs, the rust/gum (or whatever) binds them stuck. So the next time when you drive it the brakes are still jammed to the discs and hence the loud sound till they become free and the rust film is completely worn off the discs. And every time this happens, you lose half an mm or more from the pads, reason why my rear pads to be replaced quite early.

Solution ? Two solutions actually.
When you wash the car, remember to release the parking brake provided the car is on almost level surface and don’t engage it till you have driven it next time for 1km or so with brake applications in between.
Alternatively, after you finish washing it, just take it out for a small round and use the brakes a few times, after that even if you leave the parking brake on it won’t stick.

This has solved the issue for me 100%.

Best of luck.
Vishesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 21:54   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

https://Youtu.be/GIOjWRz6KgM

I had taken it to the dealer but when I drive it to the dealer the sound disappears, as its occurrence is only for few kms after it is out of the garage, the dealer informed me that there are no fault codes and he has inspected the brakes pads. After receiving the car from the dealer the problem was still there. It will be interesting to know if any of our Allspace owners had this issue. Also will appreciate if anybody can help me to figure out the issue.

Thanks
Hi I have had a similar experience with my 2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 AT. The authorized workshop personnel too checked it but found nothing wrong. The noise was most prominent post non usage after 4-5 rainy days but would disappear completely after driving say a km or so.
docprashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 09:11   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Great first post, welcome to the forum. Enjoyed reading it and lovely outdoor photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanbabu View Post
So, my car ownership journey has two phases, pre VAG and post VAG.
Palio (2014)-> Beat Diesel -> Optra -> Rapid DSG -> Polo SRT edition -> Polo DSG -> Tiguan AllSpace (2020 Dec).

I am a DSG fan and will drive nothing other than that.
That's a nice car-ownership journey - many of us can relate to the loyalty in spite of the risks :-)

Quote:
The on-road price was coming to ~42L (), but he brought it down to 39L. (Later on, seeing TeamBHP posts, I realized it would have gone even further down),
Had the seller done some homework about you, he would have got away with a higher price! Lol. You are probably the most ideal customer for the car.

I read some members mentioning Tiguan suspension/ride to be a bit too hard - what is your take on it? Some comparison with other cars would help.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 09:36   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I read some members mentioning Tiguan suspension/ride to be a bit too hard - what is your take on it? Some comparison with other cars would help.
I don't have a lot of SUV exposure to compare it with. Except for a bit of Fortuner and some mid-level SUVs. Plus, 90% of my drives have been in the driver's seat or the passenger seat. From that perspective it is quite seamless and smooth.

But I do know the second-row story is different (by what magnitude I can't say), it is much more receptive to the roughs of the roads.
narayanbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 12:34   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanbabu View Post
This is my first Team BHP post, though have been using this as a guide for years. So going to pour in my writing and automobile knowledge into this virgin post.
Congratulations Narayanbabu on your new ride. I have seen a few Allspace variants of the Tiguan but this is the first one in black. Lovely color and wishing you thousands of safe and happy miles on this ride of yours.

You wrote about the effectiveness or not of the AC. Are you facing this issue always or when the car is stationary. You can set the AC to manual and then increase the blower speed a little and see if that helps.

Also which brand of tyres come with the Allspace.
Old 8th September 2021, 13:15   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
You wrote about the effectiveness or not of the AC. Are you facing this issue always or when the car is stationary. You can set the AC to manual and then increase the blower speed a little and see if that helps.
Even when I put the A/C in max, vehicle stationary it is just about okay. Front row does get quite cold. Not great. And if you're in the 3rd row, there is no good compromise where 3rd row is comfortable without putting the blower freezing the driver.

Quote:
The car came with Hankook Tyres (Ventus S1 Evo2)
narayanbabu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 15:05   #236
BHPian

Want to add some more random tid-bits to this thread. I went through all 16 pages of posts once again, and am in an "AllSpace high" right now. So, typing away.
  • The light inside the boot (right side) can be snapped out and carried around like a torch. Quite handy when you are searching for stuff on the floors. It also has some flash modes (probably to be used to flash SOS I guess).
  • There is a 12V port in the boot, where I keep a vacuum permanently plugged. Recently got a small fridge + fan (for 3rd row).
  • There are some handy storage spaces, one below passenger seat, one next to driver.
  • Around 9k kms in, on a highway, I got my first TPMS warning, and (probably placebo), feeling that the drive was wobbly and immediately checked into a petrol station. There was no air loss. It was a false alarm. Since day one the TPMS feature was confusing. This has made it even more so.
  • I have two car seats on my second row (one Graco isofix & one smaller one), so we have 3 adult seats in general. But when we travel with parents, we move both car seats to 3rd row (quite comfortable and snug for kids). We go on 100km+ drives at least once a week. (Parents would understand) Isofix was like one of the requirements for our new car. Surprisingly, majority cars don't have it (Non-luxury segment)
  • The food tray is a life saver for us. While on long drives, we order in food and eat in car ( I had a strict no eating policy on cars, but with kids had to give up)
  • I enabled Wireless Apple car with a dongle (cost around 10k). While convenient, I prefer wired, because most of the days only time I charge my phone is while driving.
  • I love Native maps over G-Maps just because of the option to see maps on cockpits (at least for long drives where I don't care about route optimization based on traffic), and I have seen Native maps does a decent job with routes, I started using it (sporadically) in city drives too.
narayanbabu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 18:58   #237
BHPian

According to Service Engineer, all Tiguan Allspaces will be recalled for replacement A/C Compressor, Condensor & Drier replacement. For my car, the cooling is now much much better after parts replacement.
I recommend owners who feel that cooling is weak to take their cars to workshop for diagnosis.
Clock spring noise:
After getting car back after its A/C replacement, i decided to tackle a long pending issue of faint clicks inside the steering column when turning steering wheel. I suspected it to be clock spring issue.
I took the car to S.C for diagnosis. After removing cowl and steering wheel, as i suspected the noise was traced to clock spring. The replacement clock spring was ordered. All in all a much smoother experience compared to Gearbox & A/C fiasco. I was out of workshop in just half an hour.

Last edited by Dhruv29 : 8th September 2021 at 19:08.
Dhruv29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 17:10   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I have seen Allspaces in two different tyre combinations one being Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 and another being Continental ContiSportContact 5. I got the latter in my car.

--Kalyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
According to Service Engineer, all Tiguan Allspaces will be recalled for replacement A/C Compressor, Condensor & Drier replacement.
Hi

Thanks for the pointer. I got my first paid 15k service done last week and wasn't told anything about this recall yet. For now, I am happy with the AC. Will definitely get it checked when I fee the need to.

--Kalyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Hi

From my experience and amongst the cars that I've driven, I felt the rank was like this in increasing order of suspension stiffness ( ordering is from Less stiff to Stiff):

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga > Hyundai Creta > Honda City > Tiguan Allspace > BMW X1

While Creta and City were good in terms of just about okay suspension, I never felt the high-speed stability/ confidence that I see now on the Allspace in those cars. Relatively City was more stable than Creta being a sedan. So, what I did is that I worked out a hack for that. I purchased a couple of air cushion pillows for the driver and the passenger seats as a support and after about 3-4 months of use, I can confidently say that the stock suspension coupled with these accessories serves the right amount of balance.

--Kalyan

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 13th September 2021 at 17:17. Reason: Added another reply
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 18:18   #239
BHPian

Allspace TSI owners, what is the mileage that you have experienced in city and highways?
Old 21st September 2021, 16:12   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Allspace TSI owners, what is the mileage that you have experienced in city and highways?
I have been getting 8-11.5 kmpl in city depending on traffic and distance covered. On highways cruising under 120 yields 13.5-15kmpl.

Making use of the Eco mode and coasting certainly does help a lot with mileage in the city.
harish is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks