Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 19:50   #211
BHPian

oh yes i forgot they gave me the mud flaps,floor mats,ganesha idol and a teddy bear for my son with the car also they gave me the chrome upper lip free of cost(above the front grill)
Old 10th July 2007, 19:53   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
You should not pump your brakes if you have ABS. Just hold your foot firmly on the brakes pedal and remember that you can still steer.

Read more here: Tips for Driving with ABS (Anti-Lock Brake Systems) - NSC
thanks msdivy..thats a new learning for me...
Old 10th July 2007, 20:15   #213

finally got a test drive in chandigarh and i m really thrilled that i saved a couple of days time in booking . folks here have got it spot on the car is wonderful. expected day of delivery wednesday 18-07-07.cheers
Old 11th July 2007, 15:43   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a teddy bear for my son with the car
Thats standard with all Chevy, his shirt reads " I love my Chevy"
Old 11th July 2007, 18:18   #215
BHPian

" I love my Chevy" (read magnum tcdi)
Old 14th July 2007, 22:22   #216
BHPian

Hey guys i changed the speakers in my magnum Lt -i installed jbl with components in front door,jbl rear door,jbl ovals behind rear seat,jbl 1000 w sub woofer with velvet 600w amp(retained the oem alpine 2din player its good)
also changed the stock goodyear to yokohama avs es100 205/55/15 tyres(i retained the factory alloys cause no budget now to change them)
will post pics tomorow
Old 16th July 2007, 11:29   #217
BHPian

Congrats on the new car!!
How much did you get for the stock tyres; if you sold them?
AB.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:39   #218
Senior - BHPian

I am going to get my TD tommorrow, I think I might settle for this car after months of deciding - undeciding. Last car I decided on was SX4 but this looks tempting.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:52   #219
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends went to test drive the Optra Magnum Diesel at one of their dealers in Pune. When he looked at the engine bay of one of the brand new vehicles, he found that it had some components that had actually rusted, as a result of poor galvanization. The sales guy had no answer to this.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:45   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Which parts were those?
Old 16th July 2007, 21:41   #221
Team-BHP Support

Today I went for a test drive of the Optra magnum. The TD car was not available.
So me and my wife, along with my uncle just checked out the car.
First mistake, we went to the showroom in a safari, so the magnum felt like a tiny toy car.
Headroom is non existant. Infact indica has much better headroom. MY uncle is 5"11" and wears a turban, and he found getting in uncomfortable.
I am 6'2" and I found that my head was uncomfortable close to ceiling.
My wife's reaction "Why buy such a tiny car, it is so expensive".
She also found the interior quality to be in same league as the Verna.
Optra magnum has better rear legroom, but overall it felt like a tiny car.
Guess when you are used to high seating cars like Santro/Safari or even the indigo/indica, you get spoilt for space.
The Magnum LT with ABS and Airbags is 10.1L ex showroom in ludhiana, which is about 2L overpriced in my opinion.
So this one bites the dust and without a test drive.
Old 16th July 2007, 21:46   #222
Team-BHP Support

Did you face any problems in the Verna for the headroom? i found the verna decidedly cramped.

Also front seats have dual height adjustable knobs. Even after lowering you found the headroom poor?
Old 16th July 2007, 22:07   #223
BHPian

I really can't wait to get my hands on Aveo & UVA with the same D engines . GM should have launched them ahead of this OPtra .
Old 17th July 2007, 11:26   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Congrats on the new car!!
How much did you get for the stock tyres; if you sold them?
AB.
i didnt sell the stock tyres,i put them on my old sonata
Old 18th July 2007, 10:17   #225

I test drove the Magnum and Man!! If there is anything on Indian roads which spells power from the word Go, it has to be this this car!! GM really seems to have started getting its act together in India, after Spark and U-VA, the Optra Magnum is another briliant package I must say. About the TD:

Engine: I want to start with it first!! The 314 Nm torque is some experience I must say. It is such an adrenaline rush, that it has to be felt to be believed. When in the second gear you almost touch 90, you know that there is something special in your hands at the moment..And the best part is that the car never feels like giving up after a dashed sprint, it seems to go on and on. If it had not been the Delhi traffic, I dont know what number I would have loved to touch with this beauty.

Exteriors: I am also one of those who loved the old Optra too much. Although the new front fascia is not bad looking by any standards and in fact gives the car a very European feel, and somehow goes with the aggressive heart of the car, the old Optra somehow can never be replaced. But all good things must come to an end, so I dont really curse the GM guys to give a comlete refreshening to the Optra.

Interiors: Again a strong point for Optra since its inception. The rich beige blended with touches of chrome and nicely executed woodfinish, make the Optra interiors look quite luxurious at the price point it is. The leg room is ample. The car I test drove and leather too, so that perhaps added to my overall happiness with the interiors. The only thing which I found missing was an Automatic Climate Control which even Swift top end offers too. So at the Chevy guys have at least something to work upon in the next few months over the Magnum.

Ride & Handling: As good as Optra has always been. My uncle has had three Optras in his family and its the comfort of the ride which keeps them coming back to it. And I have always supportem them on this. And I am sure, with some dozen more additional things, the Magnum would be on his next car list for sure.

All in all, I think not much has changed over the old good Optra in the Magnum, except a powerhouse of engine, which is sure to make it and GM too with it, go places, mark my word for that.

Mods note: Please do not use font/size tags.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks