Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 09:37   #181

Folks,
Took delivery of my Magnum LS couple of days back. It took me close to 2 weeks to get my car from Sundaram Motors in Chennai. Overall the buying experience was pleasant with Sundaram .
The only problem was that Sundaram motors was trying to sell me an autocop remote device and my model came with factory fitted remote locking device

Driving Experience
Im a newbie to the big car driving experience so please keep that in mind while reading ahead. Start up the car and there is definite engine noise coming into the engine. Vibration was minimal but clatter/noise did creep into the cabin. The first gear slots fine and car jumps forward as you press the accelerator. The second gear is the most troublesome and on the first day i dropped the clutch 2 times (shocked at myself). I think turbolag coupled with the gearing in the 2nd gear makes stop and go driving gear a bother – having said that its not such a big deal, you need to get used to it. The 3rd gear is awesome and can take revs from 1200-1300 to 3000 and I think if you can manage the 3rd gear, it is the best gear for city driving. You can drive for ages without a gear change. The car tears ahead in a hurry once you cross 2000 rpm and is simply awesome. Havent driven on a highway yet but it promises to be a lot of fun. Definitely leagues ahead of the diesel SxI Verna which I had almost purchased. BTW price difference is only 1L between the two.

Comfort
Rear seat space is awesome and so is the comfort. I think this is the second best part of the car. Drive over bumps and bad roads is fairly smooth for rear seat occupants. The AC also is fairly quick and effective even for the rear seat.

Price
Definitely The best thing about the car. For 10L OTR in Chennai it came with all the goodies (Except ABS/Air bags/Leather) that you would want in a car. Alloys, remote lock, seat height adjustment etc etc.

Overall in Blazing red the car looks awesome, drives well (till you get used to the 2nd gear) and has an excellent rear seat/comfort. Havnt checked fuel efficiency yet will post it in a week or so. It think it is a category killer as long as GM pulls its After sales service act together. I have heard it is improving rapidly and spares aren’t that expensive anymore too.

PM me if you have any queries.

Last edited by Rtech : 4th July 2007 at 11:01. Reason: removed html tags.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:10   #182
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Naveen on your new machine and welcome to the forum and sure you will learn a lot. So has your alloys have a 5 spoke configuration or something else and what is the stock size of the wheel and tire? 2 weeks is a reasonable delivery time as my friend in bangalore was promised around 15 days back and still he is waiting.
Old 4th July 2007, 12:31   #183
BHPian

What's the service schedule of this vehicle? Is it recommended for every 5k as with most Diesels?
Old 4th July 2007, 19:32   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well Sam Congrats! Finally you liked & booked a car!!
Thanks iraghava.(I dont know how i didnt read your post)
I 've waited for this car a lot and i am a xtremely happy man today . Cnat wait to hold the keys of my new hot babe in amazing blazing red color .

OT : Bye bye to my lovely ikon , i 've had a pleasurable time with it . I 'll miss my Ikon .
Old 4th July 2007, 19:47   #185
BHPian

Hey guys below is the link to my optra magnum lt (blazing dimond)
got it on 11th unofficial delivery and i think first car in karnataka
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...p/DSC00426.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...p/DSC00430.jpg
Old 5th July 2007, 13:03   #186
BHPian

Nice Pics there dockap . Congrats on your new purchase , i am waiting for mine to arrive .
Old 5th July 2007, 14:26   #187
Senior - BHPian

Hi Naveen. Congrats on your new car. Yes Optra promises a lot as earlier petrol version did. Over time you will get used to 2nd gear issue but over all its a very good package.
I am sure you will get above 13 in city and over 16 on highways.
Finally another gr8 car from GM stable.

DJ
Old 5th July 2007, 15:31   #188
BHPian

FE update-shifted to shell now from turbojet for the last 2 fuel topups
today i checked FE after filling and i am getting 10.5 in the city (last time when i was using turbojet i got 9) next time i am going to wait for the tj and shell mix to get over before refuelling and i think i should get 11+
Autocar india review says 11.6 and 16.6 city/highway
Old 5th July 2007, 15:45   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
FE update-shifted to shell now from turbojet for the last 2 fuel topups
today i checked FE after filling and i am getting 10.5 in the city (last time when i was using turbojet i got 9) next time i am going to wait for the tj and shell mix to get over before refuelling and i think i should get 11+
Autocar india review says 11.6 and 16.6 city/highway
Hi @dockap

Do not mix turbojet and shell diesel as the detergent level of both will be different. Try using Shell since quality levels of shell is higher than TJ.

DJ
Old 5th July 2007, 15:48   #190
Senior - BHPian

Congrat's sam hopefully the wait has been worthwhile.

All the other owners as well congrats[sorry for not putting down your names].
Old 5th July 2007, 15:56   #191
Senior - BHPian

hey guys....what is this 2nd gear issue in optra ? one of my friend has ordered the same and is awaiting its delivery. Can you throw some light on it?
Old 5th July 2007, 15:58   #192
Senior - BHPian

naveen has already given his feedback on this...any more optra bhpians ....share some info about your driving experience and 2nd gear issue of this vehicle.
Old 5th July 2007, 17:49   #193
BHPian

Agree with VC Naveen., once you are on run, Car becomes very smooth... Only the initial turbo lag is painful.

My car returned me 13.6kmpl. I used Hi-Speed diesel
Old 6th July 2007, 10:15   #194

Yeah it has a five spoke alloy and i think the tyres are 195 dont remember other details - Brand is good year.
Dont worry abt the second gear, you will get used to it, it is not a problem with car as much as it is with the way the power is delivered.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:17   #195
BHPian

are the goodyear gt3s good or do i need to change them
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks