Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 17:50   #151
BHPian

MAGNUM Images uploaded ..

Hello, Just thought I'd put up some snaps that I had taken a week back during my TD.
I guess I managed to get some decent snaps as I was the first to TD the car in Kolkata and this had newly arrived. So they were busy polishing up the car for the show room display.
there are around a dozen of them taken.. hope you enjoy them.

All the snaps, resized to 640*480 ;taken using a Nokia E61i (1600*1200).
Finally, the pricelist for Kolkata for all 3 variants.

The model in question is the LS , which is the MIDDLE variant.

Last edited by babhishek : 25th June 2007 at 17:54. Reason: title..
Old 25th June 2007, 18:38   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Uuuuuuughhhh guys just refilled my magnum after driving 500 kms and initial FE figures are not good-(refilled 2 times after few days of city driving and again after a highway trip)
City FE-9
Highway FE-11
waiting for Rodeos FE figures

That's not very confidence inspiring in terms of FE compared to the Octavia 1.9TDi or any other deisel. Honestly my 2004 Scorpio 2.6 does better mileage than that.

Hopefully the FE will improve after the first 1000 - 3000kms
Old 25th June 2007, 18:43   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
?? I can shift into 5th at 50kmph in an indica non turbo and yet not have vibrations or judder. Diesel is all about low end torque. You can drive in a higher gear at lower rpms in case of diesel cars. Thats the reason in most reviews you will see that 40-100 in 5th gear figures are much better for diesels than petrols.
I can go into 5th on my Octavia 1.9TDi at very low speeds & still accelerate WITHOUT ANY SHUDDERS & I thought the Magnum has more torque than the Octy

@Rodeo

Seeing that you have been driving diesels - you are obviously used to the difference in behaviour of petrols & diesels. Maybe the Magnum will take some time to get used to BUT given the prior experiance of diesels & still feeling the inadequacy - does not speak very well for the Magnum.

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 25th June 2007 at 18:49.
Old 25th June 2007, 18:50   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
My office is just 1km away. And on weekends i have been sitting at car accessory shop to get my screens and speakers upgraded. Also got registration done.
Hey rodeo i am thinking of upgrading my tyres from 195/60/15 to 205/55/15 or 205/60/15 what do u suggest any advice would be helpful like what make of tyres etc
Old 25th June 2007, 18:52   #155
BHPian

Hows the turbo-lag in Magnum as compared to Octavia? I have driven Octavia and I think its pretty decent to drive at low RPMs too.
Old 25th June 2007, 18:53   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yup the gearbox for a change had a very slick action. It used to click in like the lancer's but not as crisp.

Actually although it's better than the petrol's, I dint find the petrol shift was that bad, after driving Rudraji's car.

Also, I read this months ACI and OD.

OD says that the car has a broad poerband which helps puttering around in teh city in a higher gear. they say the gear ratios are perfect and not too short or too long. the car pulls cleanly from 1500rpm according to them and it has a flat torque curve.

ACI says the main weakness in the magnum's engine is the narrow powerband and the considerable turbolag followed by the surge of torque between 2000 and 4000rpm. this makes you work the gearbox more. Also the second gear is too tall and that increases the lag even more. They say that the car has a non linear power delivery which takes some getting used to.

LOL!! that from 2 mags testing the same car.

That is hilarious. I think one can figure out where OD is speaking from !!
The Autocar reviews on the other hand are surely well respected & fair. Great observation
Old 25th June 2007, 20:06   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
?? I can shift into 5th at 50kmph in an indica non turbo and yet not have vibrations or judder. Diesel is all about low end torque. You can drive in a higher gear at lower rpms in case of diesel cars. Thats the reason in most reviews you will see that 40-100 in 5th gear figures are much better for diesels than petrols.
TSK your car is a non turbo, in turbo cars to extract the best out of the motor its best to shift by staying in the turbo band.

Last edited by BUSA : 25th June 2007 at 20:08.
Old 25th June 2007, 23:13   #158
BHPian

Got my refueling done. Put in 45.06lts till auto stop and my car did 613kms. my car gave 13.6 kms/lt. This was 100% city driving mostly in peak hrs and not crossed 3k RPM. 90% with A/C on.
Old 25th June 2007, 23:18   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Hey rodeo i am thinking of upgrading my tyres from 195/60/15 to 205/55/15 or 205/60/15 what do u suggest any advice would be helpful like what make of tyres etc
Not sure which tyres you should be going for but the ground clearance is not too bad so going for little lower profile should not effect you much.

Infact tyres are not too bad. I was at 100kms/hr and suddenly a zen came right in front of me from road divider and i had to lock my wheels to stop and the car was quite stable. If not the stability my car would have been first Magnum to be scrapped
Old 26th June 2007, 10:07   #160
BHPian

Honestly, I do not think the turbo lag is that bad.
Also during my test drive I did the following:
was in 3rd gear at 90kmph.
Braked on a clear stretch of road (EM Bypass in Kolkata)
Bought the car down to 15kmph, still in 3rd gear.The car did move up to 90 again on pressing the gas pedal down.There were NO jerks at all.
To be honest I would be some one who did not mind the turbo lag at all, however it was a TD and not ideal city driving conditions; however I would say it wasn't really non-ideal as well.
Just my 2 bits.
@Rodeo:
From the info. you have provided, things look good for the Magnum. (Mileage and braking)
Have you being running in the car during the initial 1000kms or have you ripped it as well?
Just trying to get an idea of your driving style ( I know its City driving, but just inquiring if you have ripped the car whenever there was space )

Last edited by babhishek : 26th June 2007 at 10:16.
Old 26th June 2007, 20:11   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Got my refueling done. Put in 45.06lts till auto stop and my car did 613kms. my car gave 13.6 kms/lt. This was 100% city driving mostly in peak hrs and not crossed 3k RPM. 90% with A/C on.
That looks like decent mileage for the car, considering the improvements after the services, I guess chevy has a winner at hand.

Also, which variant of the car do you own, Max, LS ot LT...just to know whether u had ABS helping you when the above mentioned braking happened....
Old 26th June 2007, 20:43   #162
Senior - BHPian

His is a LS without ABS.

Optra's braking without ABS is darn good.
Old 26th June 2007, 21:01   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Optra's braking without ABS is darn good.
I totally agree with you. One has to drive to know it. Its damn good in breaking.
Old 26th June 2007, 21:12   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I totally agree with you. One has to drive to know it. Its damn good in breaking.
Cool...that removes a major concern of mine...was worried, I would have to shell out extra money, if at all buying the car, to get the LT to have the ABS...
Mileage figure also looks very promising...now this has become a car to look out for..
Old 26th June 2007, 23:07   #165
BHPian

Not to forget car was driven with lot of care for initial drive-in period except for very few occasion. I was told in newer cars milage does not go up after 1st service as in old cars. Is that true?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks