Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2023, 22:26   #61
BHPian

Re: Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Hey Ashton,

None of my business but just couldn't overlook that your from Manipal, are you a MAHE student by any chance (I'm a MAHE student myself), nonetheless it was nice reading a young ownership review, a gem of motor you have there, hold on to it and she will serve you well for years would love to catch up on campus always good to see a fellow bhpian and talk cars
Yes!, I'm currently Pursuing my Masters at MIT Manipal. Would love to catch up with a fellow BHPian in college

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 11:35   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
Registration Certificate Renewal of the Swift

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Great thread!

I need to get FC done for my A-Star next year. My car has a few bumper rashes but it is limited to scratches and slight misalignment. No tears or dents. I am concerned if this would pose an issue for FC.
What was the condition of your front and rear bumper during the inspection. Did it pose any hurdles?
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 14:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Yes!, I'm currently Pursuing my Masters at MIT Manipal. Would love to catch up with a fellow BHPian in college

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Anytime just let me know, feel free to PM, always better in the company of petrolheads
Cliff9091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Great thread!

I need to get FC done for my A-Star next year. My car has a few bumper rashes but it is limited to scratches and slight misalignment. I am concerned if this would pose an issue for FC.
What was the condition of your front and rear bumper during the inspection. Did it pose any hurdles?
Totally depends on whether you're going through an agent or not. If you've gotten through an agent then it'll be a breeze. If not then then it depends on the inspectors mood whether to pull your leg or not.

Lucky for me the inspector was in a good mood and checked out my car and signed the forms. He also asked me if I was selling the car to which I politely denied.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 20:13   #65
BHPian

Good thread, Ashton. Happy to see such an old car maintained in pristine condition by you .

OG Swift was always one of my favourite hatchbacks, especially the gen 1 diesel before they tamed the turbo lag with gen 2 and it lost that turbo kick.

PS.
I noticed you changed the stereo, is that a pioneer unit?

Last edited by SaiSW : 5th April 2023 at 20:14.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 20:53   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How does one go about the tyre rotation? Do we have to recalibrate the system again?
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img20230408wa0044.jpg

Found the manual of the TPMS and you can see the instructions for the settings during tyre rotation and how to swap the tyres. Hope this clears your doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Good thread, Ashton. Happy to see such an old car maintained in pristine condition by you .

OG Swift was always one of my favourite hatchbacks, especially the gen 1 diesel before they tamed the turbo lag with gen 2 and it lost that turbo kick.

PS.
I noticed you changed the stereo, is that a pioneer unit?
Thankyou SaiW , since this is my family's first car and also the one which has taught me a lot , this will stay close to my heart and I'll do my best to keep it in the top shape.

Yes, the HU was upgraded in 2021. It's a Blaupunkt New York 750 which has Android auto, apple carplay and also Screen Mirroring. Have never faced any issue with the HU since day 1 touchwood !

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 21:58   #67
BHPian

Have to start by saying kudos to you and your dad for keeping the old girl up-to-date (multiple claps). I just love the enthusiasm and drive shown on your DIY projects, and it shows in the results.

I swear by the G13B Swift, and just can't let go of my 2005 Vxi which has done close to 95k, of which 90k has been in some form of mods, mainly engine/suspension. The first lot were really well built and I haven't had any problems with rust or fading of the taillights/headlamps. I've replaced the clutch, water pump, brake discs once, but other than that it's still running on the original driveshafts, master cylinder, exhaust, etc. The interiors have held up well without any fade except for the upholstery that was replaced some years back. Door and hatch damping helped with the acoustics and also helped reduce ambient noise.

The latest mod so far has been to the illumination and purely by luck figured out that universal projector fogs that are readily available are a direct fit to the 3 OE mounting points on the bumper. If you are keeping the car you really need to invest in this mod, its made my 90/100 headlights redundant and I'm running 25W, 4200K HID's.

The interiors look good as new
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-swift-3.jpg

My Girl with a DIY ceramic coating during the covid lockdown (AvalonKing), and its still going strong
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-swift-8.jpg

If you have a chance get these from Malaysia. A big difference in performance
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-swiftbendix.jpg

I had got these Sinolyn's from Aliexpress for about INR2500!!
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-1b-sinolynfog-1.jpg

The Projectors with Sinolyn 4300K HIDs and AC Ballasts all for a princely sum of about 2K
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-2c-pf.jpg

Notice the sharp cutoff line
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-5-fogs-1.jpg

The HIDs with parking bulbs on.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-9-fog-2.jpg

Have fun with your Swift. It's a keeper.
keroo1099 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 19:46   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Have to start by saying kudos to you and your dad for keeping the old girl up-to-date (multiple claps). I just love the enthusiasm and drive shown on your DIY projects, and it shows in the results.

I swear by the G13B Swift, and just can't let go of my 2005 Vxi which has done close to 95k, of which 90k has been in some form of mods, mainly engine/suspension. The first lot were really well built and I haven't had any problems with rust or fading of the taillights/headlamps. Door and hatch damping helped with the acoustics and also helped reduce ambient noise.
Thankyou so much Keroo1099 ! Your Swift is in Immaculate Condition, maybe even better than mine I've inspected my car inside out and for the age there is no rusting, touchwood ! Damping is on the cards but will need time since it'll be done as a DIY followed by an Audio Upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
If you are keeping the car you really need to invest in this mod, its made my 90/100 headlights redundant and I'm running 25W, 4200K HID's.
As of now the 90/100W bulbs are doing great hence sticking with them. Maybe when the itch and great deal comes up, the headlights might see projectors But you truly got a steal deal with the Projector fogs !

OT:Was bored Last weekend so thought of giving a shot at vector illustration. This is what I came up with.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-swift-illustratorrr..jpg

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 11th April 2023 at 19:51.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 15:49   #69
BHPian

Displaying the DTC's and Erasing them without any Scanner !

This generation of Swift has an hidden feature to display the Diagnostic- Trouble Codes (DTC) and clear them without the use of any scanner. I stumbled across this when I read the Service Manual, quite interesting I tell you. This was also mentioned in the international Swift Service Manual. Nice of Suzuki to implement this easter egg.

So basically here DTC is divided into two sections:
  • Body Control Module (BCM) Related DTC
  • Engine Control Unit (ECU) Related DTC

Each of them have a different way of displaying DTC's on the speedometer.

To view Body Control Module(BCM) related DTC's
1) Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
2) Perform following Steps a) to d) within 10 seconds after ignition switch is turned ON and engine stops.
a) Turn headlight switch to clearance lights position.
b) Turn headlight switch to off position.
c) Perform Steps a) and b) 3 times total.
d) Press and release driver side door switch 3 times.
3) Check DTC displayed on odometer of combination meter
When more than 2 DTCs are stored in memory, flashing for each DTC starts with the smallest DTC number in increasing order. Also, DTC is indicated repeatedly until the ignition switch is turned off.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-clearance-light.jpg
Clearance Light position in the Headlight stalk

The DTC's if any, should be displayed on the odometer display in the combination meter as such.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-airbag-error.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20210812_112250.jpg

To clear the BCM Related DTC's
1) Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
2) Perform following Steps a) to d) within 10 seconds after ignition switch is turned ON and engine stops.
a) Turn headlight switch to clearance lights position.
b) Turn headlight switch to off position.
c) Perform Steps a) and b) 3 times total.
d) Press and release driver side door switch 4 times.
3) Check DTC displayed on odometer of combination meter. It should display 0000 since codes are cleared.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-cleared.jpg
No DTC's

To view Engine Control Unit (ECU) Related DTC's

In the engine bay , locate the Fuse box and open it.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-withoutcover.jpg
Engine Fuse box without its cover

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-connector.jpg
Ground the Highlighted pin using a wire to the battery negative.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-jump.jpg

Now put the car in ignition, ECU Related DTC's should be displayed on the odometer display in the combination meter as such.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-dtc.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-ciaz-roof-light.jpg

To clear the ECU Related DTC's
Disconnect the battery negative terminal for 30 Seconds or more. This would erase ECU related DTC's.

According to me, this entire procedure is possible on the G13B and K12M Swift's/Dzire. Whereas for the Diesel D13A Swift/ Dzire only viewing BCM Related DTC's is possible. ECU related DTC's would require a scanner to view and clear them. Hope this information is useful

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by ajmat : 25th April 2023 at 13:51.
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 09:08   #70
BHPian

All the DTC clearing process either by a scanner or by a combination of ignition and other switches on/off activities merely deletes the codes in a soft way. DTCs are thrown up based on 1D/C or 3D/C (consecutive drive cycles) algorithm as per programming. Unless the root cause of the DTC at the hardware level is detected and eliminated it may come again once 1D/C or 3D/C conditions are met.

OTOH, this process may comfort the driver momentarily by removing some extra glowing signs on the dashboard causing anxiety.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 25th April 2023 at 09:24.
Blooming Flower is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 00:30   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
All the DTC clearing process either by a scanner or by a combination of ignition and other switches on/off activities merely deletes the codes in a soft way. DTCs are thrown up based on 1D/C or 3D/C (consecutive drive cycles) algorithm as per programming. Unless the root cause of the DTC at the hardware level is detected and eliminated it may come again once 1D/C or 3D/C conditions are met.
Absolutely true and completely agree with you, this method is used to view the error codes which maybe currently undiagnosed or even the past DTC's. This helps the user to identify what sensor could be throwing the error and diagnose the issue then they can use the method mentioned above to clear the DTC's. Any error that is still "present" will throw a CEL.

The G13B Swift /Dzire ECU can only be read using the SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool). I've tried using the ELM327 on the swift but no luck , not sure about other scanners.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 09:17   #72
BHPian

Quote:
The G13B Swift /Dzire ECU can only be read using the SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool). I've tried using the ELM327 on the swift but no luck , not sure about other scanners.
ELM327 supports only OBD-II protocols (SAE J1850, ISO 14230, ISO 9141-2, ISO 15765-4 CAN, SAE J1939 only). OBD-II emerged in Indian vehicles around 2012 and was mandatory from 1st April, 2013 IIRC. However, advanced scanners like Autel, ThinkTool (by ThinkCar) etc. support reading, and troubleshooting G13B Swift's DTC. Different versions of these scanners are quite popular in Indian FNGs.

However, G13B pre-YP8 Suzuki Swift is a gem of a car. You maintained it quite nicely. Also, while going through your ownership report I discovered your love for old Zen and RX100. BTW, we have a 2002 Zen LX in pristine condition with 2.6L+ reading on the odo, and still doing its daily errand without a single hiccup.

Last month, I successfully restored my dad's 1986 RX100 to its full glory. It was a huge project to source all the correct parts and rebuild. Attaching a few pics of the RX100 post-restoration. Hope, you don't mind someone suddenly hijacking your thread.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-rx100_coll.jpg
Blooming Flower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 10:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post

However, G13B pre-YP8 Suzuki Swift is a gem of a car. You maintained it quite nicely. Also, while going through your ownership report I discovered your love for old Zen and RX100. BTW, we have a 2002 Zen LX in pristine condition with 2.6L+ reading on the odo, and still doing its daily errand without a single hiccup.Last month, I successfully restored my dad's 1986 RX100 to its full glory. It was a huge project to source all the correct parts and rebuild. Attaching a few pics of the RX100 post-restoration. Hope, you don't mind someone suddenly hijacking your thread.
Thankyou ! It's great to know you have both the vehicles which I wished to buy. The zen with the MPFi was the best and it stays true with your zen, Please share photos of the same. coming to the RX100, its an emotion riding it. You've done a fantastic work of restoring it. I'm aware procuring parts is a bit difficult but you'll eventually find them. There is also a shop in my district called MotoUtility who deals with vintage vehicle parts. A quick google search and you'll easily find them. Hope this helps.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 13:36   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I'm aware procuring parts is a bit difficult but you'll eventually find them. There is also a shop in my district called MotoUtility who deals with vintage vehicle parts. A quick google search and you'll easily find them. Hope this helps.
My experience with MotoUtility is not great so far. I ordered a few parts for RX100 from MotoUtility (B'lore-based) online store. But they miserably failed to deliver the same. I wanted to have a spare Goetze cylinder kit (which was listed on their site, but was not in stock as confirmed by them later) for future requirements. Rather, after a few follow-ups they refunded only the price of the product deducting the shipping charge! The reason they cited over email communication was-- as per their policy, 3% is deducted from the final amount if an order is cancelled! In this case, they had to cancel it from their end and the customer had to bear the expenses! Quite disappointed in dealing with them. However, I didn't bother much with some mere Rs. 200 and stopped asking them. They still kept it listed on their site and shows 'in-stock'. I pray someone like me does not get lured into it to lose some money for nothing. Link

Yes, there are still a handful of stores in our country maintaining a steady stock of OEM RX100 and RD350 parts. Production of some OE parts is permanently stopped by Yamaha and they are very hard to source nowadays. This leaves a restorer/owner either to depend only on aftermarket parts or to pay almost 10 times the MRP to someone whose inventory is still running green with old stock. And surprisingly, most of these stores are small shops located in some tier-2 or 3 towns, you know. Fortunately, some of those I discovered from social media are very helpful and sent me the right parts.

And, here goes a picture of our Zen LX, MPFI.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-zen_1.jpg
Blooming Flower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 14:08   #75
BHPian

Rear Fog Light LED Conversion

The existing stock rear fog lamp reflector was burnt and more over water ingress caused the reflector to worsen. I tried putting LED bulb but it was of no use. for the time-being my uncle at home had 3 led strips so I mounted the same for a few months and was on the look out for a replacement.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-jugaad.jpg
I scouted Boodmo and the only fog lamp with LED I found was manufactured Auto-Gold. But it was mentioned compatible with the Second Generation Swift ( 2011-2017). I anyways placed an order on Boodmo for it and it arrived in 5 days.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-capture.jpg

Link https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-ag_0214-55970436/

As soon as I opened it I could notice the quality issues. The waterproof plugs for the pins behind the connector were not present, the connector was of poor build and it had a HOLE in it !! and moreover the housing did not feel sturdy as the OEM one.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-quality-issue.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-quality-issue-2.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-stock-connector.jpg
Notice the rubber on the pins which makes the connector sealed

Only thing I wanted to see was how bright the LED's were. Bench Tested it and it turned out to be EXCELLENT ! So I decided to open my existing rear fog and compare the internal design with the Autogold one.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20230509_070909247.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-comparison.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-comparison-2.jpg
The internal structure was the same. Only thing was that the length of the AutoGold one was more longer than stock, maybe since it is specifically made for the Second Gen Swift.

I noticed the OEM one had provision to mount the LED reflector along with the LED's same where the Autogold had them. So it was decided to transplant the LED onto the Stock rear fog lamp and also use the stock rear fog lamp wiring harness than using the Autogold one.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-soldered-.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-installed-into-box.jpg
Soldered the wires and installed the LED's onto the Stock rear fog lamp housing. I also sourced the gasket for the fog lens from my MGP because the Auto Gold one did not have that as well. Costed just ₹16.

Link:https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-packing-6793028/

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-lens-gasket.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-removal.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-installed.jpg

Assembled it all and fixed it back on the car. Tested the Light output at night and it was fantastic ! My main concern was that it should not dazzle the vehicles behind me and this perfectly suited.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-test.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-final-final.jpg

Here's a photo with the License plate lights removed.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-final1.jpg

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks