Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 22:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
The market here in Karnataka for second hand cars has really shot up by a lot since the Covid time. Whilst I definitely did not pay the figures that were hovering in Marketplace and OLX, I paid 1.75L in 2020 and picked the car up as the condition was great

You cannot always expect every state to have the same rates as Delhi in the second hand market.
I understand you brother. Even I was thinking of picking up a tiger Zen and swap it with a G16B and mod it and stuff. Ever since the fuel prices shot up, things have been really difficult. We ended up getting an Ecosport instead.
Bismaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:59   #17
BHPian

May, 2021

Since I decided that henceforth all the work on the car will be done by myself, I thought of getting tools. After few talks with friends, I narrowed down my decision to get the Stanley 1/2 inch and Stanley 1/4 inch Ratchet Set. Picked it up on sale on Amazon and used Credit card to get the maximum discount.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20210503_194847.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20210503_200110.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20210503_200117.jpg

Both the sets are FANTASTIC and I got it for a very cheap rate of
Stanley 1/2 inch ratchet set - ₹2395
Stanley 1/4 inch ratchet set- ₹1326

The tools were immediately put to use within the hour after delivery on my Activa 2005.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20210504_124457.jpg
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 13:22   #18
BHPian

Felt super nostalgic reading this, as my first car that I got right after my masters was a 2006 Swift VXI ABS!

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20171207_163042a.jpg

Back in 2016 I needed some wheels to get to my internship, and my folks gave me a budget of 1.5 - 2 lakhs. I saw a few OHC VTECs, but they were either super overpriced, or looked too molested (Modified). My second option was the 2006 Swift with the G13 motor that I had read so much about. I TD'd over 8-10 cars until I found a mint looking, black 2006 VXI ABS. The owner had listed it for 2.6 lakhs, but after the TD and MASS check up we found that a few major parts needed replacement, so we settled at a final price of 2.2 lakhs. I was over the moon driving my first ever car back home, and was already planning mods I was going to do

‘There’s no such thing as cheap and cheerful’ quoted Jeremy Clarkson, but the G13BB just was. Took me a couple of months to get completely used to the way the car behaved and figure out its limits, but in no time I was chucking it around corners (on empty roads), understeering and spinning its wheels on the exit a few times, while thinking to myself what a well-engineered package it was, and how the weight felt so evenly distributed. It was an absolute joy to launch and fight the torque steer, after which the car would hit 100kph in 2nd. How many cars hit 100 in 2nd? My jaw dropped when I realized it for the first time. Over the years I owned the car, I appreciated it more and more. Of course, it has lost a few horses over the 13 years, but nevertheless, it is still one of the most fun cars out there and still managed to hit good triple digit speeds on highways.

Over the years (2016-2022) I replaced a ton of parts like the clutch, suspension, brakes, AC Compressor, and a few other things here and there. It was such a reliable workhorse and didn't even let me down even once.

I did a couple of fun mods with the little money I was earning, like a K&N drop in air filter an exhaust (just the end can), can't say it made the car faster, but it definitely made it more fun to drive

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-snapchat992284998.jpg
I also got a second hand Sony sub-woofer and amp on OLX, and a very cheap touch screen android HU from AliExpress when they were still delivering to India.

Here are some pics of the car over the years

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-180a45b4035ecf5cc3b384fb8129a7ee.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20160520_130450603_top.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20160520_130509727_hdr.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20170715_174229946.jpg

And here is the last pic of the car I took, minutes before the new owner drove away in it May

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-snapchat184892362.jpg

Replaced the Swift with a 2010 Civic that I've been wanting to own for a very long time now

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-photo_20220809_130635.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-photo_20220809_130704.jpg
RunSam is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 23:03   #19
BHPian

Re: Azure Grey 2006 Swift VXi - Ownership Log

Quote:
Thankyou LOL_FWD, I absolutely agree with you with the ZXi Alloys, I managed to source them a month back and the post is coming up regarding the same. I will definitely slap the 185s once my current 165s wear out.

I see your KA-19 Regd Swift, are you currently still based in Mangalore?
Great! Looking forward to seeing your car with some new shoes on. Mangalore is my hometown but I'm currently based in Bangalore
LOL_FWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 02:27   #20
BHPian

July-August 2021

Adding a Rear Wiper

During a road trip to Murudeshwar, it was raining heavily. My car being the VXi variant, Rear wiper was never present. The First generation Swift got the rear wiper only the ZXi variant which was top of the line Initially I thought I wouldn't be requiring it, but during this road trip, I actually felt the need for a rear wiper as I could see nothing in my IRVM.

So I started scouting and doing my homework on how I could fit a rear wiper on the Swift. I also learnt that I would need to change my rear glass to the one which comes in the ZXi with the wiper hole and the defogger elements. I called up MASS and asked how much it would cost for the glass change inclusive of labour, they quoted 5000rs.Upon that I would have needed to buy the following things
  • Rear Wiper motor
  • Floor wiring
  • Rear End Door Wire Harness
  • Wiper Arm
  • Wiper blade
  • Rubber Grommets
  • Washer reservoir
  • Washer Pump
  • Plumbing
  • Rear Wiper Switch
  • New HMSL with washer option

The estimate for the above items crossed 10,000Rs along with the glass change and so upon discussion with dad, it was abandoned for the mean time.

The next week I swung by the scrap yard to search for few parts for the Swift and I was shocked to see a whole ZXi rear door with all the parts in it in the scrapyard. The Rear end door was in great shape with no dents and a clean rear glass with the whole wiper assembly and another bonus , an Electromagnetic Tailgate Opener.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-zxi-doorr.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-zxi-door.jpg
Immediately called up dad and we decided to pick it up ASAP. Negotiations happened and we picked it up for dirt cheap price the same day. Now since the Boot door which we found was not the same colour as my Swift, a Repaint was needed. Called up my Painter and asked him to get the paint ready.

Now, I had to check the panel gaps and see if it was within the tolerance levels, so I removed my boot door and placed the ZXi boot and checked the fitment. It was perfect !

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-test-fit1.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-testfit2.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-testfit4.jpg
Hope this photo doesn't pop up in the weird and wacky Mod's Thread

I removed the wiper assembly and handed the door over to my painter in my village. In about a week he was done painting and pinged me saying its done , The paint job was done nicely with almost nill orange peel and the paint matching was very accurate.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-paint-boot-done.jpg

So now I start my homework to understand how the Rear wiper works in the ZXi variant. I managed to download the International Swift Service manual and used that as an reference to understand how it was wired in the ZXi.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-rear-wiper-service.jpg
I even opened up the rear wiper motor to see how it functions and cleaned its internals, replaced carbon brushes and lubricated them well.

Since this was a major mod involving wiring around the BCM, Dad suggested taking it to an auto electrician and get it done, I agreed. Started scouting around for knowledgeable auto electricians and none of them were ready to do it since the BCM was involved. Meanwhile my close buddy and BHPian ChiranjitP sourced a rear wiper switch and sent it over to me. At last, I managed to convince an auto electrician who was near my college to get it done. He also repairs ECM's so that was what convinced me he can do it. I printed all the diagrams required and showed it to him. He told me to get the car next day morning 9 AM. I went home and installed the new boot door and kept it all ready.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-old-new-boot-door.jpg

Skipped a day of college and the work was started, He mentioned it was easier to remove the dashboard and work with the wiring because the BCM is not easily accessible. So they started removing the dashboard and in an hour and started the wiring. we tried wiring the rear wiper as per the diagrams but later found out my BCM doesn't have that circuit in it as the International swift got a rear wiper Intermittent function too but Indian Variants never got it. The electrician then didn't want to abandon the project so tapped power from an empty relay socket in the BCM. We replaced the washer reservoir tank and installed a washer pump for the rear washer. Passed the wiring though the firewall grommet and did it successfully. It worked perfectly. The work was completed by evening and it looked superb.

Some photos of the Project.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-rear-wip-2.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-rear-wip.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-rear-wiper-switch.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-complete-proj.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-completed-.jpg

Adding An Auto Dimming IRVM
My Generation Swift VXi/LXi did not even get a manual Day/Night IRVM. So I started scouting Boodmo for the IRVM, while I was at it I immediately noticed an Honda IRVM which is listed for ₹422 and I saw a connector coming from the IRVM. Did a few searches on the internet and found out it's an Auto dimming IRVM and few people had installed it on their Honda vehicles. It got me thinking, If it's done on their vehicles why would it not be possible on mine ? and so the homework started !

I learnt that that the IRVM is mounted on the windshield using a Mount, now since my car got a roof mounted IRVM it had no mount on the windshield. Now the basics were learnt so I immediately called up my close buddy ChiranjitP and told him about my findings and asked if he would want to do it too along with me. He immediately agreed and so we both placed orders on Boodmo and it arrived within 5 days at my place.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-deliveryirvm.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-mounts.jpg

I rushed to Honda Service Center and managed to get two mounts ,one for me and other for Chiranjit. Decided that Araldite Standard Epoxy was the best glue to stick the mount to the windshield and procured it from my hardware store.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-measurement.jpg
Measured and stuck the mount with the glue and let it cure for about a day.
Used a fuse tap and did the wiring at home and mounted the IRVM on the windshield firmly, Tightened the torx screw at the bottom.

Photos of Final results
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-irvm-installed.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-irvm-installed-2.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-irvm-installed-3.jpg

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 03:09   #21
BHPian

September 2021

Upgrading the Wiper Washer Nozzles

I noticed my wiper nozzles jets were choked and their spray was not efficient even with the nozzle cleaned. The second gen Swift comes with 3 jets where as mine has just 2 jets. Upon seeing the photo in boodmo I knew it would be a direct fit and 3 jets would mean better spray on the windshield.

Part name- NOZZLE WASHER
Price- ₹50
Part number- 38480M74L00
Boodmo Link

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-old-vs-new.jpg
New nozzle vs old wiper nozzle

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-new-installed.jpg
New nozzles installed

Changing the Gear Oil
I was facing slight resistance when shifting gears, After discussing with fellow friends and mechanics, they recommended to change the gear oil first and see if that solves the issue, I obliged. The owners manual recommended 2.2Litre of 75W90 Gear oil for the gearbox. I couldn't find 75W90 grade gear oil in my locality, Checked Amazon and Flipkart and procured 2 units of MOTUL MotylGear SAE 75W-90 for ₹920. The gear shifting eventually became
much better after driving about 5kms or so after the gear oil change.

Link for MOTUL MotylGear SAE 75W-90

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-wip.jpg

Did the Gear Oil change as a DIY with the help of my dear friend and younger cousin who is very eager to learn new things about vehicles.

Changed the rear brake shoes
During the January service, the mechanic informed me that the rear brake shoes were worn out and need to be replaced soon. Bought new Brake shoes from MGP and took this up as a DIY and succeeded in changing them.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-shoes.jpg

Registration Certificate Renewal of the Swift
Finally it was time for the RC renewal for the Swift. Since I stay close by the Udupi RTO, took up the job of doing it myself. Did all of the form entry work on the Parivahan Website and took print out of all the forms and requirements. I chose offline payment option and went to the RTO next day with all documents. The inspection went on smoothly and it costed me
₹2237 for the RC Renewal
₹50 for Post cover

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-ka51m9209-renewal.jpg
So a total of ₹2257 and she's valid till 2026.

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 15th August 2022 at 03:37.
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 03:50   #22
BHPian

November 2021

Restoring Headlights at Home.

Have already covered details about this particular DIY, Attaching link for the same below.

DIY:Restoring Headlights at Home (DIY: Restoring Headlights at home)

Installing Check valves
There was always a bit of delay with the rear washer spraying water, I realised that this could be solved by installing check valves at the washer reservoir. Sourced 2 check valves from an Aquarium store near my locality and connected it to the rear washer pump as well as another one for the front washer pump.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-check-valves.jpg

Maruti too has this as spare part which I realised later
Part name- ONE WAY JOINT
Part number- 38833M68K00
Part price- ₹4
Link

Installing Illuminated Headlight Leveling Switch

My Swift never came with Illuminated Headlight Leveling Switch so I got a Dzire Headlight leveling switch which is illuminated. It was missing just one wire which is used to power up the backlight when the headlights are turned on. Did the wiring for it myself and plonked it in. The backlight matched with the interior orange tone perfectly.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20211101_171434_798.jpg

Part name- SWITCH ASSY, HEADLAMP LEVELING
Part number- 35180M65L00
Part price- ₹230
Link

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 15th August 2022 at 04:09.
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 00:02   #23
BHPian

January 2022

Timing Belt Replacement

The Swift had crossed 15 Years and I knew the Timing belt was not changed in its lifetime so it would be the best time to get the Timing belt changed. According to the Service Manual, Timing belt is to be changed at the 1,00,000km Milestone but there is no time frame mentioned. Rubber over time breaks-down, cracks and looses its temper.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-manual-timing.jpg

As a preventive measure, I decided to get the T-Belt changed and this would be done at St.Judes Automobile and Engineering Workshop in Udupi. They deal with only Maruti vehicles and the owner was a very humble person. I thought why not get all the belts changed? We are anyways removing the other belts too so might as well get them changed as well.

Parts for the Timing belt replacement were bought from Boodmo during the free delivery sale.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-tbelt-parts.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-vbelt.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-water-pump-belt.jpg
Part Number- 17521M86540
Part Name- BELT WATER PUMP
Price- ₹250
Link

Part Number- 12761M70C20
Part Name- BELT TIMING (MPFI)
Price- ₹765
Link

Part Number- 11396M60B00
Part Name- SEAL TIMING COVER OUTSIDE(4VALVE MPFI)
Price- ₹13.00
Link

Part Number- 12810M71C22
Part Name- TENSIONER ASSY TIMING BELT
Price- ₹615
Link

Part Number- 95141M75J00
Part Name- V BELT (4PK790)
Price- ₹445
Link

The work was started at 9AM and ended around 12.30PM. The Front bumper, right headlight was removed, AC compressor unmounted, right fender lining, right side flank cover and Right engine mounting removed to access the timing belt.

Some photos

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-wip.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-wip2.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-ac-belt-crack.jpg
AC belt had become weak and a replacement was due so it was good I chose to change all belts.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-open.jpg
Timing cover opened for the first time in its lifetime

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-oembelt.jpg

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-belt-removed.jpg
Timing belt and tensioner removed and area around it cleaned thoroughly

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-new-vs-old.jpg
New Belt vs Old Belt

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-old-vs-new.jpg
Old Belt vs New belt, Notice the cracks on the old belt

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-cracks.jpg
Close up of the cracks

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-t-cover-seal.jpg
Replacement of the Timing cover rubber seal

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-replacement-done.jpg
New timing belt and tensioner installed in place
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-replacement-done-2.jpg

After the mechanics had set the Timing, I personally verified just for my satisfaction and asked them to fire it up to hear if there was any change in Engine note. To my surprise it sounded much better than before. Everything was assembled back and the labour cost for the work was a mere ₹1150.

On another note, I was searching for the parcel tray for my Swift and the part is discontinued Luckily, In the workshop I spotted a parcel tray at the corner and the owner was kind enough to plonk it into my car.

Odometer reading at the Time of Timing belt Replacment
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-odo.jpg

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 16:39   #24
BHPian

February 2022

DIY Service

It was well over a year since I serviced the car, and I didn't want to face the previous episode of getting ripped off, so I decided to do the service myself at Home. Anyways I had the required tools, so it was a breeze.

The Odometer was 74130kms, so technically, the car did about 8000kms since the last service. I managed to get a great deal on Mobil 1 5W40 3.5Litre Fully Synthetic Engine oil on Amazon for ₹1618. The seller sent the very recent manufactured stock as well.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-leak.jpg
The Swift G13BB Engine has a common leak from the tappet cover near the DLI Sensor. So I decided to fix that as well. The following things were replaced during this service.
I unbolted the tappet cover and the DLI Sensor case, and to my surprise, there was almost NILL sludge. Dad helped in cleaning the DLI Sensor case and replaced the Case O-ring. Installed new Spark Plug O-Rings and the new Tappet Cover Gasket.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-tappet-cover-instal.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-tappets.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-tappets-1.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-installing-dli-sensor.jpg
The Engine oil was then drained, and the Oil filter was removed. I let the oil drain for about 15 minutes, tightened the drain nut, filled the new oil filter with engine oil, applied the brim O-Ring of the filter with engine oil, and screwed it in place. Fresh engine oil was poured in, and the engine was fired up. Made sure there were no leaks and gave the car a good wash, followed by Tire Rotation.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-oil-filter-removed.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-oil-drain.jpg

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 09:14   #25
BHPian

Well done Ashtoncastelino!

The head looks super clean. What was used for cleaning the sensors case? and what did you do with the oil collected?
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 10:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Well done Ashtoncastelino!

The head looks super clean. What was used for cleaning the sensors case? and what did you do with the oil collected?
Thankyouu Sudeepg, I removed the Sensor Case O-ring and cleaned it thoroughly with petrol with sensor removed, installed new O-ring for the case and plonked it back in.
Regarding the old oil , it was collected and handed over to a nearby Scooter service center for disposal.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 07:55   #27

Informative Ashtoncastelino!!

Please share the wiring process for Illuminated Headlight Leveling switch. I would also that the same.
Mundkaite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 22:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundkaite View Post
Informative Ashtoncastelino!!

Please share the wiring process for Illuminated Headlight Leveling switch. I would also that the same.
It's a very easy mod.

Name:  HL Leveling switch.JPG
Views: 1637
Size:  18.9 KB

Pin 1- left blank
Pin 2- Green/Black
Pin 3- Black (Negative)
Pin 4- Red/Black
Pin 5- Illumination Positive
Pin 6- Illumination Negative

You can ground pin 6 to pin 3 since both are negative, as for pin 5 positive is required for illumination which I tapped from the fog light switch. It is turned on when I switch on the Headlights.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:48   #29
BHPian

March 2022

Changing the Windshield

The Windshield was having a ton of scratches and swirl marks which weren't visible during the day but were clearly visible at night when oncoming vehicle light is thrown at my windshield, I couldn't see the road due to the swirl marks and scratches which made it very dangerous to drive at night.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-scratches.jpg
Notice the scratches on the windshield

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-old-glass-make.jpg
Make of the Old Windshield 06 (AIS)

One fine day Dad had enough of it and we decided to get the windshield changed. Called up MASS and they quoted ₹7000. Compared the quotes around Udupi and all were ₹7000 or higher.

Found a place called Windshield Specialist in Mangalore and asked for Asahi (AIS) Windshield and they quoted a very reasonable rate, less than half the cost of the quotes I enquired about around Udupi. Called them well in advance and told them to be ready with the windshield.I reached Mangalore around 3 PM, and the work began. To my surprise, they used OEM Suzuki Windshield (AIS).

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-glass-make.jpeg
New glass and its make

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-windshield-change.jpg
Work in progress

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-fastag.jpg
Fastag was saved since I stuck the tag upon a transparent film sheet on the windshield.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-measurement.jpg
They also managed to take measurements of the IRVM mount which I installed and marked the same on the new windshield to install the IRVM mount.

Work was done perfectly and completed in about 1.5 Hours. I waited about 2 hours for the sealant to cure a bit since I had to drive back 70kms to Udupi.
Since I'm keeping the car till its EOL, I felt this change was much necessary.

New Taillights

The Taillights on my Swift were having water seepage issues and moreover I felt it would be best to change them to the Type 2 Taillights ( 2008-2010 Swift). They were of clear lens type compared to my stock Taillights. The new Taillights were ordered from Boodmo. The rear looks have changed post these new taillights

Type 1 Stock Taillights
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20220319_131139.jpg

Type 2 Taillights
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20220316_162451.jpg

The Taillights are manufactured by Lumax.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20220316_162416.jpg

Final look after plonking in the new Taillights.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-new-tl.jpg

SGP Spoiler

My very close buddy ChiranjitP shipped me a rare swift spoiler which he procured with the help of DBHPian Leoshashi. This spoiler is an SGP ( Suzuki Genuine Part ). Whilst the swift got a host of Accessories, I always longed to plonk in a spoiler on my swift due to the bald look at the rear. I got the spoiler painted in my village and the painter did a fantastic job. Colour matching was accurate as well.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-painted-spoiler-1.jpg

Dad and me decided to install the spoiler ourselves. The holes were measured and marked accordingly. Once the holes were drilled, I applied primer and waited about 20 minutes to dry.

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-markings.jpg
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-spoiler-drilled-hole.jpg

To further protect, I cut out rubber bushes to use them as gaskets to have no water seepage.
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-rubber-washers.jpg

Final look after installing the spoiler!
Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-img_20220320_065303.jpg

Huge thanks to BHPian ChiranjitP and DBHPian Leoshashi for making this happen

Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review-final-look-after-spoiler.jpg
Signing off with my favourite Photo of the Swift!

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Last edited by Ashtoncastelino : 23rd September 2022 at 08:50.
Ashtoncastelino is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 22:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
March 2022

SGP Spoiler
It's great to know that at least the rare spoiler found its way to a BHPian's Swift. Recently, I came across 1075, the well documented Swift on the forum. I assume the current owner doesn't take care of it like the previous owner did. The front bumper was full of scratches. Moreover, the left ORVM holder was also broken.
TurboKat is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks