Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 11:24   #16
BHPian

Just curious, while many have compared the linea to SX4/ANHC, why are we not comparing it to the Skoda octavia 1.9 TDS and the Optra magnum diesel which are the real competitors for this car? Is it because of the price that is comparable to the C segmenters? Because in every other way, it is a direct competitor to the octavia and magnum (except for the 120 bhp output of the magnum). The linea is bigger and wider than both these cars, has comparable power ourput with the octavia and if we look at the top of the line models that have ABS and Airbags, it is almost 1.5 lakhs cheaper than a magnum and 2.5 lakhs cheaper than an octavia.

Shouldn't octavia and magnum be worried as well?
Old 12th January 2009, 11:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_bhp View Post
  • Didn't find the engine to be noisy inside during idling.
Thanks for adding that, I actually forgot that. Also note that cars like i20, in spite of having wheelbase of only 2500+mm. has a turning radius of 5.2m. Linea's wheelbase is 2600+mm and turning radius of 5m.
Old 12th January 2009, 11:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

I can say Linea compares very well against Octy - size, space and features wise. Performance is a tad down, but at 9.5L it beats the Octy silly!

Optra Magnum is a different beast - the power just cant be compared as its a torque machine. Everything else would be comparable.
Old 12th January 2009, 11:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Linea's wheelbase is 2600+mm and turning radius of 5m.
Opendro -are you sure about a 5m turning radius? My Palio has a 5.1m and at least to me Linea was more than that when i drove it.

ACI mentions it as 5.4m and OD mentions it as 5.65m! I would be very interested to know the official version (from FIAT).
Old 12th January 2009, 12:04   #20
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Opendro -are you sure about a 5m turning radius? My Palio has a 5.1m and at least to me Linea was more than that when i drove it.

ACI mentions it as 5.4m and OD mentions it as 5.65m! I would be very interested to know the official version (from FIAT).
I think it is 5.45m. Infact the petrol version had only 5.2m turning circle radius, with diesl at 5.45m, as someone in the forum mentioned that it could be due to the engine mounting position & the resultant space crunch.
Old 12th January 2009, 13:31   #21
BHPian

Linea, Quadrajet, ANHC, Megnum in a single day

Took test drive of Linea, Vista Quadrajet, All New VTech, Megnum in a single day.

After driving Megnum, I can not comment on Linea's power.

Good -
1. Linea's multijet engine noise is like racer car's engine sound. You dont need to alter exaust system to get the sound effect. It is much better than Palio Multijet, Vista Quadrajet and Swift.
2. Cabin is very very very very silent, I you drove on uneven surface, bad paches (Shok absorvers dumbing noise is the best). I drove on small square cuby LED road divider at the speed of 80KMPH. On the other side you can hear all the tyre noise in ANHC, I was wondering, why HONDA is having dumping noice inside cabin. ANHC gear lever was very silky compare to Linea but stearing is so light, feels like driving bycycle, no driver's car.
3. Linea's Breaks are superb.
4. After driving Magnum, I didnt find Linea's handling great.

Bed -

1. Feels underpower (May be I am wrong, cause same day I had driven Megnum Diesel 130 BHP, accelarate it and feel the G-Power)
2. I like, Palio's driving seat better than Linea's. I tried all posible settings but couldnt get the position I wanted.
3. Rear seat is not for three.

Which one to choose between ANHC and Linea - If you are ok with the current Multijet Linea's power, Linea is any time better or else wait for Linea petrol to arrive. What is the use of ANHC power if you scare above 120+ KMPH.

Price wise Megnum is anytime better than Linea.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 12th January 2009 at 13:34.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:50   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
The wrong side indicators are a pain. You get used to it in a few mins, but people who haven't driven an LHD - it might feel odd for sometime. I think FIAT should have corrected it.
Interesting - FIAT has gone back to the Uno / Siena days?
Old 12th January 2009, 15:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Interesting - FIAT has gone back to the Uno / Siena days?
They are going with what the European cars offer
- Skoda
- Ford (The cars are based on Ford UK or Europe)
Old 12th January 2009, 15:16   #24
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I think it is 5.45m. Infact the petrol version had only 5.2m turning circle radius.
Just checked - the TCR is 5.25m

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
After driving Megnum, I can not comment on Linea's power.

Price wise Megnum is anytime better than Linea.
That's an interesting dimension you have brought in here Pawan. Most of us have (atleast i have) kind of ignored Magnum out of the equation. Considering the price point which is not too higher than Linea, and with all the upmarket upholseries, why can't it come back into the reckoning?

What is the going discounts on Optra Mangum in Chennai? Any idea???

I stand corrected. Only the top end LT version mateches Linea Emotion + Option Pack, but it is a good 1+ lakh costlier. Optra has leather upholstery where as Linea has Auto Climate Control. The point is if you want outright power & performance pay 1/1.2 lakh premium and go for Optra else, settle for Linea.

Last edited by oss : 12th January 2009 at 15:35.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:34   #25
BHPian

@ roms- Very very well written. I was dying to read a good proper detailed report. Thankyou. You made it easier for me;have to wait for my exams to end. Can't wait for the other engines to come in. Anyone has any idea?
Old 12th January 2009, 16:19   #26
BHPian

Optra LT comes with ACC nowadays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I stand corrected. Only the top end LT version mateches Linea Emotion + Option Pack, but it is a good 1+ lakh costlier. Optra has leather upholstery where as Linea has Auto Climate Control. The point is if you want outright power & performance pay 1/1.2 lakh premium and go for Optra else, settle for Linea.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

@ Roms - well written.
I am surprised noone is putting up a menton for Blue & Me in their TD reports. Has noone used it yet?
Old 12th January 2009, 17:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
6. the doors were closing with a jarring noise to my surprise, however they had a heavy feel.
The doors dont close with a nice "thud"?, like in a octy or even a palio???
Old 12th January 2009, 17:18   #29
BHPian

Lot has been said about Linea, and I would agree with some of you on most of the points being discussed here about Linea. Unexpectedly I got a chance to TD Linea Emotion 1.3 MultiJet. My usual business on weekends (TD cars) took me to Tata showroom to checkout Vista limited edition. Moment I entered the showroom I saw great looking car there, it was Linea obviously. So I forgot everything else and started my own inspection and followed by TD.

Looks, Design, Styling, Exterior…

When we talk looks of the car, we usually hear statements like “Look are subjective” and may not suite everyone’s taste. However I find no reason to say that about Linea, its a great looker, stunning and very rich and luxurious car in the market. I wonder how come jury of Auto Awards 2009 ended up giving “Best Design and Styling” award to All New Honda City, jury what were you smoking?

Emotion Flamengo red variant with chrome linings all around, with those lovely headlamps and tail lamps, with those body lines, with that lovely windshield and Fabia type wiper blades, those alloy wheels and 195/60/R15 Goodyear GT3s exactly matching with body edges, and with that long throw front window Linea was really looking great.

I feel first time something sensible has been offered to Indian customers. 9/10 here

Interiors, ergonomics, comfort and space inside…

Don’t really want to talk here about features they have been already discussed thousand times. Get inside the car and you get warm welcome from all the corners. Design is great, plastic quality is good though not so great, touch and feel around is really good, center console is well placed ergonomically, switches, levers and controls around have very good finish. And you feel great to operate them. Automatic climate control AC does a adequate job in an adequate time. Instrument panel is excellent, all the base of needles in speedo and RPM meter and other meter has a chrome ring on top which I really liked. Front armrest is nothing to talk about, but rear armrest look really good and intelligently designed. Steering wheel feels outstanding, it is really awesome with that design and leather wrap. The only problem I feel is placement of power window and mirror adjustment buttons, the handrest on door on which the buttons are placed goes downward towards your leg forming a slope, so design wise it look great but these button are placed on slope, so they at time looks far away to reach or slightly difficult to operate. Just a matter of time you will get used to it.

Dashboard is simply great again. View from inside is great and predictable. Interiors sounds roomier but the Linea lacks the leg space both in front cabin and in the rear. Yet seats are comfortable and rear seat can accommodate 3 people. Boot is narrower but has lots of space inside.

FIAT has done a great job again in this section 9/10.

Engine, Drivability, performance, cornering, handling…

Let me reiterate that I drive Magnum TCDI, and since one year I have noticed that I find almost every car sluggish. But let me be realistic here about Linea’s capability. Release the clutch and the car starts moving, floor the pedal and nothing happens, except rev noise in cabin yet it doesn’t sound like a diesel, cross the 2k rpm mark and you get a push (a little bit) the car moves little better but there is nothing here for enthusiast. Power is just adequate to take the car from one place to another. Its like a chauffeur who will pick you up from home, will drop you in office and then back to home and this vicious cycle goes on and on, he will never give you a feeling that he is driving a Formula 1 or some great 4X4 in an uncharted territory (except some of the cabbies here who feel they are born Schumacher). Yet he does a decent job, so the engine is just adequately powered and it must be frugal too.

Handling is good and cornering is really confident. Suspension is stiff at lower speed and comfort is very well balance, it soaks the thuds and bumps. Steering response is great and you really feel like you are driving Italian something 8/10 here

Overall it was a pleasure driving Linea, it’s a great value for money car. Forgiven the lack of powerful engine, if you are planning to buy a sedan close your eyes and go ahead with Linea. You / Linea cant go wrong here.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

I was passing by the Prerana Motors showroom on Sarjapur ring road yesterday, but unfortunately it was about 5 pm and the showroom was closed. But, the test drive Linea was parked in front of the showroom.

I saw the car, but could not test drive it.

From all the test drive reports, it looks like a good alternative to ANHC. Linea 1.3 JTD with Pete's should be the ideal combination I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks