Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:26   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Great write up as usual. Can understand what you mean by the Jeepish bruteness and the right of way thing. But the above one still foxes me. Care to explain.
Ah, the title of the post was Bizon (Bull) in a China shop lifted off the famous adage of being clumsy around with things. Usually its a cranky old man running a china shop (of glassware and other ancient things of interest). I am comparing that to the great Indian traffic craze and how nimble the Scorp is. Am I sounding like Raj here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ red: buddy, the mHawk has turbo lag?!!! it has the least turbo lag in all the diesels in this category!
talking about pulling power, my mHawk has pulled in second gear from standstill, with a load of 5 passengers & AC set on 3-HI, try it.
Raj, Sorry I just could not help taking a dig at you above my dear friend. The only vehicle which I have seen pull absolutely effortlessly from 2nd gear like it was 1st is the 4+1 gear box enabled MM540. Actually, people start from the 2nd gear and never use the 1st.

You are probably putting a great level of strain on your clutch. The 1st gear is meant to do just that - engaging to start your car off. But maybe you have a trick up your sleeve like my gear-changing samurai act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
@Raj I think he meant comparing with the petrols.

Umm, why would you want to do that to your Scorp / or any vehicle for that matter(pulling in second gear) ?
Absolutely I did compare it to Petrols. Plus the only diesels I have driven came with no turbo - so the power came in very very linearly - allowing you to pretty much judge when to do what.
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi-sam
why would you want to do that to your Scorp / or any vehicle for that matter(pulling in second gear) ?
Get the clutch replaced in warranty?

Well, you can definitely do it in a Jeep though. The engine is torquey and the ratios are really really short.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:08   #213
Senior - BHPian

taking from speed breakers on first gear ? well is that the case with all ? I guess Raj has different experience. Redliner: cant see why you are feeling turbo lag a lot, I had a different take on the turbo lag in mHawk.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:16   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
taking from speed breakers on first gear ? well is that the case with all ? I guess Raj has different experience. Redliner: cant see why you are feeling turbo lag a lot, I had a different take on the turbo lag in mHawk.
Am comparing her straight to Petrol's and Diesels with no turbo's. Drive one, and you'll feel the difference.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:53   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am comparing her straight to Petrol's and Diesels with no turbo's. Drive one, and you'll feel the difference.
You're right!
What comes into play here is this whole emissions game and the need for ECUs and EGRs!
What you mention has direct relationship to ECU. Most, if not all, ECU controlled diesels do not give you the tractability of the old diesels without ECU.
The line separating the diesel powerpack from its petrol counterpart has almost vanished in this particular area of performance.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:40   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Raj I think he meant comparing with the petrols.

Umm, why would you want to do that to your Scorp / or any vehicle for that matter(pulling in second gear) ?
Ohh, he was comparing it to petrols & non-turbo diesels.
i am sorry, missed out on that. he is absolutely right then.

red, this board is for you ---> ......... LOL!!!

regarding your second question takumi, i pull it in 2nd gear at very slow speed like over speedbreakers or potholes, because "I AM LAZY"!!! As far as my statement in above post is concerned, that was just to say that the scorp pulls quite easily compared to other 'TURBO' diesels.

Quote:
I am comparing that to the great Indian traffic craze and how nimble the Scorp is. Am I sounding like Raj here?
aah, thats fine, i have taken my revenge above!

Quote:
Raj, Sorry I just could not help taking a dig at you above my dear friend. The only vehicle which I have seen pull absolutely effortlessly from 2nd gear like it was 1st is the 4+1 gear box enabled MM540. Actually, people start from the 2nd gear and never use the 1st.
yup, i completely agree to that.

Quote:
Absolutely I did compare it to Petrols. Plus the only diesels I have driven came with no turbo - so the power came in very very linearly - allowing you to pretty much judge when to do what.
Quote:
thats an unfair comparison.
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:00   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Scorpio story - having mustered a denizen of fans across all ages - is not very different. Inspite of all the brash ugliness, low down interiors, panel gaps, and the general drunken stupor with which it attacks delicious curves (hold on, isnt that what we men usually do anyway?), the Scorpio has managed to hold its own with Indians (and some internationals).
One reason is ofcourse the Mahindra brand. Our forefathers have sworn by it. The women swoon over Ratan Tata (and his famous Uncle Jamshedji). The men swear by the Mahindra Jeep. That is by far one vehicle which has redefined what raw, cowboy butch is all about. And young nubile teenagers dream of driving a jeep to assert their right of passage through to man-hood (sometimes even before the first set of facial hair makes an appearance).
The Scorpio, I have to say is very agile in the city. Almost Gazelle like. Its quite literally a point and shoot thing. To a large extent, barring the very annoying turbo lag (my first experience with a diesel fitted with a turbo) where you just are literally jumping on the accelerator, the thing moves like a piranha's got her tail. The very direct steering is quite a boon in the city, and so is the size of the steering wheel. The fabric along the steering wheel does not cause for your hands to slip much, but I have just been with her for a month, so lets see how that holds up.
Well, to end this all - do I find her good in the city? Hell yeah. She's invigorating. The old man running his china shop need not worry at all. Not one bit. The Scorpio is one smooth operator.
Red Liner ......Men and Mahindra and women and Ratan Tata, great and true comparison
Gazelle it truly is- rather a 1.8 ton gazelle. Its agility while on the move is beyond comparison. nothing comes even close to it. Parking and reversing though are elephant like. And the engine is a mHawk. So many birds and animal names here!
As Raj says the turbo lag is quite apparent but is way ahead of other similar diesel turbos. Men (and Mahindras) don't have much patience so there's less turbo lag, whereas women (Tatas) do, maybe.
Old 11th June 2009, 11:17   #218
Senior - BHPian

Red Liner,

Did you get you registration done?

If done, how did the whole thing go about?
Old 17th June 2009, 20:13   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Red Liner,

Very valid point Happy Wheels. We all are in pitch dark about the registration story and how the plot unfolded here for Red Liner. A revelation and some confessions are needed.
Old 17th June 2009, 21:09   #220
BHPian

Hi Red Liner,

Absolutely great write ups on your new Scorpio. Especially liked the "lingam" bit. Enjoy the new ride.

Now please, pretty please, don't do what all other Scorpio owners seem to do - viz. sit in the fast lane on expressways doing 100Kmph.
I've just done three runs on the NH4 and find it frustrating when the Scorp's refuse to move.

I'm sure other Scorpio owners will take offense - but none intended!!!!!!!
It's a fact!!!!

Regards,
SS
Old 17th June 2009, 22:37   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Very valid point Happy Wheels. We all are in pitch dark about the registration story and how the plot unfolded here for Red Liner. A revelation and some confessions are needed.
Sign!

If only people share the whole story!

RL, hope your registration was not a special under-cover ops which should not be shared with anyone else!
Old 21st July 2009, 19:14   #222
BHPian

no updates red? How is the Scorp doing?
Old 26th July 2009, 12:42   #223
Senior - BHPian

Pals,

Its time for me to find my beast, and I was in the showroom (from) yesterday. Had a test drive of about 10Kms on highway as well as Mud roads. Overall I am happy.

But my main confusion now is whether and AT or MT? While I like to buy an AT version after long years of geared cars. To my surprise, AT is not in the showroom, and so far they have invoiced only one car. So no point it asking them a test drive.

Any AT guys can help me? I want to talk to you too, But please share your experiences.

There is one Java Brown VLX MT is available, I can take it within 2-3 days, But I want to hear from you guys before I book it or wait for another 1 month on AT.

Please!
Old 26th July 2009, 12:53   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Red Liner,

Yes, I got the registration done. I would have to be printing money straight into the hands of the traffic wardens all along otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Revelation indeed! Even for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Red Liner,

Absolutely great write ups on your new Scorpio. Especially liked the "lingam" bit. Enjoy the new ride.

Now please, pretty please, don't do what all other Scorpio owners seem to do - viz. sit in the fast lane on expressways doing 100Kmph.
I've just done three runs on the NH4 and find it frustrating when the Scorp's refuse to move.

I'm sure other Scorpio owners will take offense - but none intended!!!!!!!
It's a fact!!!!

Regards,
SS
Thats pretty much any car. I have had to slither and snake around Maruti 800's who have an identity crisis with an 18 wheeled trucker.

Quote:
Sign!

If only people share the whole story!

RL, hope your registration was not a special under-cover ops which should not be shared with anyone else!
I see you just booked your 4x4 Safari. Lucky you. My registration story coming up and you must use that to register your car yourself.

Quote:
no updates red? How is the Scorp doing?
The Scorp is doing great, an update coming right up. 2nd service/10,000 kms coming through in about a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Pals,

Its time for me to find my beast, and I was in the showroom (from) yesterday. Had a test drive of about 10Kms on highway as well as Mud roads. Overall I am happy.

But my main confusion now is whether and AT or MT? While I like to buy an AT version after long years of geared cars. To my surprise, AT is not in the showroom, and so far they have invoiced only one car. So no point it asking them a test drive.

Any AT guys can help me? I want to talk to you too, But please share your experiences.

There is one Java Brown VLX MT is available, I can take it within 2-3 days, But I want to hear from you guys before I book it or wait for another 1 month on AT.

Please!
There's Mohit who recently got an AT and started an ownership thread on it. Just search his name out or type Scorpio Automatic or variations of it. As far as I remember, he seemed pretty happy about the car.

That said, I think the Java Brown is gorgeous. Its horrible that the color is only available for the top end version.
Old 26th July 2009, 17:38   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Pals,

Please!
hi benny, i would advise you the manual. reasons:

1) as you said, the auto has not achieved great sales numbers, so i am unsure about its future.
2) maintainence costs would be higher.
3) driveability of the manual is good enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks