Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 13:55   #151
BHPian

Hey Red_liner-: Is the registration process so difficult or are they creating difficulties for you? (Can't wait for a new thread to be opened.)

I mentioned your insurance amount to the salesperson in Sireesh (I dont know your real name.. so couldn't mention it), and he said that they can also offer the insurance at the same price. Now I think anyone going there can haggle for the same.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:59   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Hey Red_liner-: Is the registration process so difficult or are they creating difficulties for you? (Can't wait for a new thread to be opened.)

I mentioned your insurance amount to the salesperson in Sireesh (I dont know your real name.. so couldn't mention it), and he said that they can also offer the insurance at the same price. Now I think anyone going there can haggle for the same.
Already spent 1.5 days and 2k so far. My complications are probably the worst case scenario, so it should be helpful when I describe it.

And the insurance, yeah you have to haggle with them. I just flat out refused them and went to the market.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:25   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre Delivery Inspection: Day of Delivery - Part 2

2 days hence, it is the date of delivery. I call up my girl friend and we decide to head to the dealership together from my office.

Whilst at the office, i happen to call two other friends, who suddenly extoll interest in accompanying me. Fantastic - more people the better when doing the final PDI.

The drive the dealership was long and arduous. My friend, in whose car we went, drives a 1.6 GTX Palio. Now, the guy drives the car as sedately as a Padmini driven by a 65 year old gentleman. I was at my wits end and almost wanted to grab the steering. We stopped at almost every single red light. It was getting too much.

Just before we reach the dealership, everyone wants to eat. I got cheesed off. I wanted to get to the dealership first - everything else comes later. Not to be. We stopped at the Big Mac and got ourselves a few burgers. Now they want to sit inside and eat.

HEAVENS!

But we finished all the mayo (now MacD charges for extra mayo...wierdo's), and finally reached the dealership. I could see her waiting under the Shamiyana all bright and sparkling. Headed straight to her to begin the PDI - armed with the papers printed from TBHP. Two sales guys started volunteering information to me, but I just started my PDI and buzzed them with questions. As they repeatedly volunteered I cut them off like how an engine immobilizer ought to work.

Having two friends over to help do the PDI is very good - and is a must have. One friend hung from the roof railing like a chimp to see how strong it was. She held. We checked each and every body panel. Just found a lot of gaps. M&M has some way to go. Checked all the lights, the start, engine oil levels, other fluids etc. Asked a whole bunch of questions whilst the PDI, and pretty much covered the transition the sales guys ought to have done.

Went in, got all the paper work done - found some minor errors, got them to fix those and walked out with the temp registration.

Heady feeling when I drove back. Not everyone wanted to bump into me - contrary to what new vehicle owners feel when they drive their baby out on the streets from the showroom.

Learning points:
1. Take 2 male friends along. One of them should be of the nagging variety. One of mine was.
2. Take a print out of the PDI checklist in totality and check off each and every point. The only thing I did not do was putting her up on a rack and looking underneath.
3. Dont give up on any mistakes the dealership would have made. Make them correct it.
4. Start and stop the car multiple times whilst doing the PDI. Keep the car running for sometime. Prolong the PDI process as much as you can. Be patient, and do it slow. If anyone hurries you, throw them out.
5. Get there in afternoon or the morning. Never take delivery/PDI post 4 pm.

Road manners coming up next...
Old 21st April 2009, 14:54   #154
BHPian

Red Liner, Congratulations on your new shopping cart (groceries...etc!) :-).

Great thread you have going here and I love your writing style (have been watching your decision-making thread here as well as on the yahoo group for a while now); do keep posting your experiences.

Those learning points (PDI) are really useful for new vehicle buyers.

I hope you get your registration issues sorted out ASAP.

Cheers & all the best!
Old 21st April 2009, 15:00   #155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
(now MacD charges for extra mayo...wierdo's)
How can they, the cheapstakes.
Old 21st April 2009, 15:10   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now MacD charges for extra mayo...wierdo's
You buy a 9 Lakh Car and crib about 9 Rupees. Proof enough that you ARE really cheap. This way you would definitely be able to save up for the Cayenne within 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
How can they, the cheapstakes.
I absolutely support you. We need to save every single penny possible from these money sucking corporates (Like McD) so that we can save up enough and give it to ONE money sucking corporate(Read Porsche, M&M, TATA etc)
Old 21st April 2009, 15:24   #157
BHPian

Quote:
5. Get there in afternoon or the morning. Never take delivery/PDI post 4 pm.
Priceless advice in hindsight. I didn't get to do a PDI when my f-in-law bought my Bolero last month but luckily I was there when a sales guy from the dealership drove the vehicle from Calicut to my in-laws place in Nilambur to let me have a look even though the registration wasn't complete. It was a bright and sunny afternoon (thank god!) when me & FIL happily went on a test drive. After we came back, we had a casual look around and were standing back and taking in the sight of the new vehicle when Lo Behold! I saw two big dents on either side of the roof towards the front.

Both the sales guy and my FIL turned red for totally opposite reasons! Finally the sales guy was shooed away and asked to come back with a new vehicle or with the damages rectified. I doubt if I would have noticed the dents if it was in the evening or dark. And also, it was lucky for us that the dents were on the TOP of the vehicle and not on the sides. If the damage was on the side of the vehicle, the sales guy could've easily pinned it on us as having occurred during our test drive. Whew! Close!

Last edited by MudMover : 21st April 2009 at 15:37.
Old 21st April 2009, 22:54   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Potholes are masked for sure. But still a bit of bobbing. Am comparing solely to a Sedan here. Honestly, you cannot expect Sedan like performance from an SUV like this. Maybe something longer and broader, and thus more planted will definitely not bob as much.

The seats are MUCH better. Like I had mentioned earlier - more buckety, better thigh support and very good lumbar support. You feel pretty snug in her.

Ride quality has improved because the suspension has been tuned by Lotus in the UK because of the new , 70 kg lighter mHawk engine upfront. Now under hard braking, the car does not lurch front as opposed to the 2.6's.
Red Liner Venky sure agree with you when you say that the ride quality is vastly improved. They had those archiac leaf springs earlier in the rear with a dead axle.Many costly sedans do not afford a ride as comfortable as the new Scorpio.But all said bobbing is prevalent in some deeper craters!
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:03   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Red Liner Venky sure agree with you when you say that the ride quality is vastly improved. They had those archiac leaf springs earlier in the rear with a dead axle.Many costly sedans do not afford a ride as comfortable as the new Scorpio.But all said bobbing is prevalent in some deeper craters!

Rightly said. As owners you would know more. I did a test drive last saturday and found that the new scorpio is certainly a lot better.

In an earlier test drive, my wife sat in the rear and she was in the air most of the time. I jokingly termed it as "AIR SUSPENSION". The new Scorpio certainly addresses that to an extent. In this rate, by 2-3 yrs the scorpio might have the ride quality of a Sedan.
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:58   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Red Liner Venky sure agree with you when you say that the ride quality is vastly improved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Rightly said. As owners you would know more. I did a test drive last saturday and found that the new scorpio is certainly a lot better.
In this rate, by 2-3 yrs the scorpio might have the ride quality of a Sedan.
and to think that most non-scorpio owners (especially the competition's ) still crib that the ride quality is "PATHETIC"! most of them comment without even sitting in the mHawk. i guess this is the only thing they can complain about in an otherwise great vehicle or maybe they have sharp senses, can visually judge the ride quality of a car from outside!

btw, @ anjan & redliner: do you stick to the factory mentioned tyre pressure or have you reduced it by 1 or 2 points?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd April 2009 at 09:59.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:55   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

btw, @ anjan & redliner: do you stick to the factory mentioned tyre pressure or have you reduced it by 1 or 2 points?
I use 32 PSI, and have had no problems so far...what do you use?
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:26   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I use 32 PSI, and have had no problems so far...what do you use?
I am sticking to 32 psi as recommended. Venky did you get the battery warranty stamped by the dealer ? Its on a page within the manual supplied by the dealer. I have to get it stamped to validate and effect the warranty.
Got the M&M wheelcaps today -will post pictures with wheelcaps.
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:43   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
and to think that most non-scorpio owners (especially the competition's ) still crib that the ride quality is "PATHETIC"! most of them comment without even sitting in the mHawk. i guess this is the only thing they can complain about in an otherwise great vehicle or maybe they have sharp senses, can visually judge the ride quality of a car from outside!
Good to know that the ride has been sorted. Now, only if they could stretch to chasis by a foot and add some more space inside and there is no Indian competition for this any more.
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:43   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sticking to 32 psi as recommended. Venky did you get the battery warranty stamped by the dealer ? Its on a page within the manual supplied by the dealer. I have to get it stamped to validate and effect the warranty.
Got the M&M wheelcaps today -will post pictures with wheelcaps.
Yeah, I noted that and asked the dealer to do it in front of my eyes. Somehow missed the Nippon booklet. I will get it this Saturday. Am calling them on Friday and will ask them to arrange it. I supposedly need to send the card to Nippon to have them verify it within 30 days without which I cannot claim warranty.

Suffered this evening with trying to arm my Scorpio., Gave up and will speak to Sudipta, the master armer.
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:37   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Good to know that the ride has been sorted. Now, only if they could stretch to chasis by a foot and add some more space inside and there is no Indian competition for this any more.
a slight correction sir, its ride has been sorted, but still not the best. the bumpiness present on older scorpios have gone but the ride comfort is nowhere close to innova levels.
from what i have noticed that the scorpio is only allergic to bumps on the roads, whereas it is least affected by potholes. infact, where the innova crashes into a pothole, the scorpio just glides over. this i think is due to the small tyres of the innova compared to the scorpio. but when it comes to bumps, its a different story altogether!
what i meant in my earlier post was that the scorpio's ride is not that good, alright... but its hyped a bit too much on this forum. i agree that the older gen scorpio used to dance like a horse but then most assume that the mHawk is similar in nature.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks