Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 16:08   #1531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

There is no problem in other gears at all. After facing this issue, I continued the journey by limiting myself to 4th gear only.
That is gear synchronizer rings at fault. Get them changed under warranty.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 12:07   #1532
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Planning to get the 50K service for my Ritz VDi ABS this weekend. Can someone tell me the approx service cost?
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:42   #1533
BHPian

Hi, it's between 5000-6000 if no major repairs done except for scheduled amc.
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:25   #1534
BHPian

For me it was around 4k. I went for mineral oil and opted to do wheel alignment and balancing .
Old 29th November 2016, 15:03   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Need some help here. My Ritz is due for 3rd service, ODO reading 8500km. The issue is that while starting the car, especially during cold starts, the car "half-starts". The tachometer would show a reading of around 300-400 rpm.
If I try to engage the first gear and move the car, the engine would turn off.
If I press the accelerator during this "half-start", the rpm would climb to 600-700 and car would behave normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Happened to see your post. This happens to my car as well but maybe once in a month, if not rarer. Of course the SA at MASS was clueless: "It is not happening now, so why worry". This is an old post, so wondering if anyone found the root cause of this?
So, this (hesitation in starting) is happening rather frequently (like once in 10 times) but not frequent enough that I can take it to a workshop and recreate the problem.

Today morning, it started perfectly fine and I took it out of car park and then switched it off to make a phone call. After the call, I tried 5-6 times back to back, it would half start, the rpm needle would go to 300-400 and then it would go off. I was wondering, if I should call the service center or not, and after 30 secs decided to try again, and I started on the first go...

Any idea what is wrong? If it matters, the car is petrol engined, run 37k and still on original battery (which is about 7 years old, but underwent load test two months back and passed).

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 29th November 2016 at 15:04.
Old 29th November 2016, 15:10   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
I tried 5-6 times back to back, it would half start, the rpm needle would go to 300-400 and then it would go off.
I've had this problem before and one of the things I dread about the winters. In my case the engine check light would also turn on. After multiple visits to the MASS and complaining, they cleaned the throttle body which fixed the issue. I didn't have this problem popup last year.
kanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 18:12   #1537
BHPian

I'm observing a strange problem with my Ritz VXI from few months. Whenever I crank the ignition and start the vehicle, the RPM stays around 300-400 initially, gets down to 0 and the engine shuts down.
This is not consistent, but happens sometimes.

Any pointers on what can be the issue? My vehicle has clocked 74000 kms and is 6 years old. The last service was 4 months and 4000 kms back.
Old 29th November 2016, 18:20   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
I'm observing a strange problem with my Ritz VXI from few months. Whenever I crank the ignition and start the vehicle, the RPM stays around 300-400 initially, gets down to 0 and the engine shuts down.

Any pointers on what can be the issue? My vehicle has clocked 74000 kms and is 6 years old. The last service was 4 months and 4000 kms back.
Have you changed the battery anytime? Looks like the throttle body is getting reset. This problem occurs if the battery is disconnected for sometime or if its not providing enough voltage.

Next time this occurs, stop the car, turn on the ignition but dont start the car. Press down accelerator fully and turn off the car. Then turn on ignition again and wait for around 30 seconds and start the car. The idling should become back to normal now. If it doesnt, repeat once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianv2 View Post
I would suggest that get your Throttle Body checked and cleaned. Seems to be an issue with the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve - it might be clogged and cleaning/replacing it might help.
Ritz has an electronic throttle body. There is no separate IACV however idling is controlled by the throttle itself.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th November 2016 at 18:23.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 18:22   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest that get your Throttle Body checked and cleaned. Seems to be an issue with the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve - it might be clogged and cleaning/replacing it might help.
Old 30th November 2016, 00:50   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
So, this (hesitation in starting) is happening rather frequently (like once in 10 times) but not frequent enough that I can take it to a workshop and recreate the problem.

Today morning, it started perfectly fine and I took it out of car park and then switched it off to make a phone call. After the call, I tried 5-6 times back to back, it would half start, the rpm needle would go to 300-400 and then it would go off. I was wondering, if I should call the service center or not, and after 30 secs decided to try again, and I started on the first go...

Any idea what is wrong? If it matters, the car is petrol engined, run 37k and still on original battery (which is about 7 years old, but underwent load test two months back and passed).

Cheers,
Su-47
I kind of made peace with the issue. My car is 99k run 6 years old and this issue is persistent since the start. Have done throttle body cleaning, new battery replacement, NGK spark plugs et al. But the issue still remains which points to a known defect for this product. I also have a 5 year old Dzire with same K12 engine but works fine there. So it's a Ritz thing in my view.

BTW, 7 years for a battery. Are you sure that you put battery water and not Jack Daniels in it...
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 09:37   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Have you changed the battery anytime? Looks like the throttle body is getting reset. This problem occurs if the battery is disconnected for sometime or if its not providing enough voltage.
Interestingly, a few months back I noticed that one fine morning, the clock got reset. I thought that the battery must have run out (or somehow gotten disconnected, but how?), so, asked for a load test when I gave it for service. Also asked them for OBD scan, and they said nothing was wrong. Now, I'm thinking if the clock got reset, maybe the throttle thing is getting reset as well. So this sounds like a plausible explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Next time this occurs, stop the car, turn on the ignition but dont start the car. Press down accelerator fully and turn off the car. Then turn on ignition again and wait for around 30 seconds and start the car. The idling should become back to normal now. If it doesnt, repeat once again.
Sure, will give it a try. But, what exactly happens when we do this? Some sort of hard reset?

Quote:
I kind of made peace with the issue. My car is 99k run 6 years old and this issue is persistent since the start. Have done throttle body cleaning, new battery replacement, NGK spark plugs et al. But the issue still remains which points to a known defect for this product. I also have a 5 year old Dzire with same K12 engine but works fine there. So it's a Ritz thing in my view.
Yeah, but, going by the number of responses here and general clueless response of Maruti guys, it doesn't seem to affect all the Ritzes.

Once in a while the missus uses this car. Thankfully, this hesitant start thing hasn't happened with her yet, but, if it does, she will suggest things like getting a new car and all.

Quote:
BTW, 7 years for a battery. Are you sure that you put battery water and not Jack Daniels in it...
Actually, the OEM battery on every car I owned has lasted for more than 5 years (touch wood). My cars have limited usage (an average of 500kms/month), so that might make a difference. And, Jack Daniels.. Hahahaha!
Old 30th November 2016, 11:13   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Used to happen with me. Showed it to mass and culprits were rats. Input to engine was cut. If I remember right, there were 4 connections and 2 off them were cut off.
Shashankjk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 15:52   #1543
BHPian

Off late I have noticed that only one horn blows sometimes instead of two. However sometimes both the horns blow as expected. Not sure what can be the issue.
If MASS suggests to replace horns, which brand should I go for, and what would be its approximate cost?
Old 2nd December 2016, 19:04   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Off late I have noticed that only one horn blows sometimes instead of two. However sometimes both the horns blow as expected. Not sure what can be the issue.
If MASS suggests to replace horns, which brand should I go for, and what would be its approximate cost?
I am using Hella and have also used minda. Both are fairly reliable. Should be in range of 800INR. The sound is like horn of VW or Skoda.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 13:41   #1545
Senior - BHPian

After exactly 3 years and 6 months, my Ritz VDI's battery refused to start. I always cranked with gear in neutral and engaging clutch. The battery test report from Battery shop showed "Replace Battery" though the dealer said it can go for another 3-4 months if charged fully. The OEM one is a Panasonic Thailand make battery. I was told that with Swift and Ritz, 3.5 to 4 years is the maximum battery life to expect. I changed with Exide FMI0-MIDIN65 (LH) with 2 year replacement + 2 year 50% price replacement warranty and it costed Rs 5100 with exchange of the battery (I know, may be a couple of hundreds would've been saved with hard bargaining).

Ritz is running only city drives and the odometer hit 50,000kms yesterday and gave it for paid service at Popular Vehicles and Services, Peringuzha, Muvattupuzha. The service costed a total of Rs6600/- which included mineral oil change, AC Filter replacement plus blower cleaning, Disc pad replacement. Thought it is slightly on the higher side. I am thinking of giving the car for service after the extended warranty coverage is over (another 6 months) at Jawan MASS which I heard is cheaper than Popular or Indus.

I have a query, @a4anurag and others: Since the car is running on AC full time in the city drives, the dust accumulation on AC filter tops by almost 4000-5000kms of run. I have to replace it every 10k kms. Is it possible to clean AC filter by ourself? How difficult is to remove and refit?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks