Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 14:10   #1381
BANNED

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Have any ritz petrol zxi owners experienced issues with the clutch not being smooth? My ritz is about 2 years old and has run 10K kms.
Get the clutch opened and checked if the plates are fine or not. If not get the clutch plate and release bearings changed for a smoother operation.

Get the fluid re-filled to be sure there is no air entrapment. IF guys @ MASS have said all is well, take the car to an FNG and get things right.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 15:58   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Get the fluid re-filled to be sure there is no air entrapment. IF guys @ MASS have said all is well, take the car to an FNG and get things right.
Thanks..Ritz Petrol has a cable clutch AFAIK. No fluids I guess.. Lets see what the MASS guys say this time around. Since the vehicle is just out of warranty , they may make the xtra effort to diagnose the problem properly this time around.
Old 19th May 2015, 18:43   #1383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Thanks..Ritz Petrol has a cable clutch AFAIK. No fluids I guess.. Lets see what the MASS guys say this time around. Since the vehicle is just out of warranty , they may make the xtra effort to diagnose the problem properly this time around.
Thank you for correcting me on the clutch part.

Do get the clutch pedal play and if required do get the transmission oil changed if not done from long.
Old 19th May 2015, 21:49   #1384
BHPian

How important is EGR cleaning with respect to ddis engine ? EGR cleaning have not been done on my 40k run Ritz vdi till now. Will it have an impact on the engine?
Old 19th May 2015, 22:55   #1385
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgun View Post
How important is EGR cleaning with respect to ddis engine ? EGR cleaning have not been done on my 40k run Ritz vdi till now. Will it have an impact on the engine?
Needs cleaning if there is excessive smoking, low FE and sluggish performance.

I have clocked 46K kms I'm my Swift ZDi currently but haven't got the EGR cleaned. I didn't feel the need hence have avoided it this time.
Old 20th May 2015, 10:46   #1386
BHPian

Thanks Anuraj for clarification ,even I dont fell any sluggish in pickup or excessive smoke. So will hold on EGR cleaning for now.
Old 20th May 2015, 14:04   #1387
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgun View Post
Thanks Anuraj for clarification ,even I dont fell any sluggish in pickup or excessive smoke. So will hold on EGR cleaning for now.
If there is no drop in FE and performance, then you can safely postpone the cleaning of EGR.

MASS will try and push you to get it done but bluntly refuse.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:58   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
if i rev the Car hard, as in put the Pedal down quicker, i see lot of Black Smoke coming out from the exhaust.
Is this normal or some treatment needs to be done to fix this ?
My colleague who has a May 2014 Ritz Vdi has the same problem if he presses the accpedal down faster too. On enquiring at MASS, they said it was due to poor quality of Diesel that he is using, and that he should use Shell diesel. Willing to try it out, he filled diesel at Shell for another 6 months, with no improvement.

He had given for the 3rd service yesterday and the often repeated 'poor diesel' excuse came out. They even have two cans on display, one filled with normal diesel and another with shell diesel. He asked them to check out the entire air circuit for any oil traces. They called him in the evening yesterday, saying that they drained the diesel and saw that the diesel is of poor quality. They are claiming that they will fill 10trs of shell diesel in his car and prove it.

My friend is going to check for the same smoke in the test drive Ritz and also will keep an eye on the smoke from his car for 2 more days. Lets see how that turns out.

Another colleague who has the same complaint in his Ritz went up to the highest levels of Maruti management , with no success. Tired, he has now chosen to ignore the smoke screen that he leaves behind during an overtaking maneuver
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 17:25   #1389
BHPian

Hi, I have a June 12' Ritz VDI @37XXX Kms. Recently, whenever going over even the smallest bumps a sound comes from the rear as if something is hitting a metal or plastic piece. First i thought something in the boot was moving around, but thats not the case. Will have to take it to MASS.

Also, i have stock bridgestones (Non Alloys). What should be the next upgrade? I would like to get better gripping tyres for some spirited driving.
Old 21st May 2015, 18:00   #1390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Hi, I have a June 12' Ritz VDI @37XXX Kms. Recently, whenever going over even the smallest bumps a sound comes from the rear as if something is hitting a metal or plastic piece. First i thought something in the boot was moving around, but thats not the case. Will have to take it to MASS.

Also, i have stock bridgestones (Non Alloys). What should be the next upgrade? I would like to get better gripping tyres for some spirited driving.
Check the parcel tray. A parcel tray which is not held firmly will bounce when the car goes over bumps.

Coming to the tires, since you have already clocked 37K+ kms, they must be due for a change. For better grip, you need soft compound tires. The downside is that they wear-off quicker. Michelin is one name you can trust for the purpose. There are some good tires by Bridgestone too (not the OEM ones) which are softer and will offer better grip than your OEM tires.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 18:09   #1391
BHPian

Hi Saket, thank you for a quick reply. I will surely check out the life left in my tyres. Also, the parcel trey has been removed long back. As i said, i checked all the possibilities of any moving/removable parts creating that noise, but i could not. A visit to MASS should fix this.

Just an observation, the torque steer happens to my car a lot lately. If i try to get a fast start from stand still, my wheels tend to steer. Nothing alarming, but just an observation. Also after driving over the amazing roads in Mumbai, the car has developed a lot of rattles. Whomever came with the idea of putting paver blocks on the roads, may he find wisdom in life.

During a visit to Japan, there were roads with paver blocks but i was told that it had a layer of cement under it to avoid it from getting pressed in the ground due to traffic movement. They looked stunning. Here, its a mess and the rains are just around the corner.
Old 21st May 2015, 18:19   #1392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Saket, thank you for a quick reply. I will surely check out the life left in my tyres. Also, the parcel trey has been removed long back. As i said, i checked all the possibilities of any moving/removable parts creating that noise, but i could not. A visit to MASS should fix this.
So, it is a candidate of some physical check. Hope that it is nothing more than a lubrication issue. I am not familiar with the suspension system of the Ritz, but if it has a lateral rod, please check visibly if it is not bent.

Quote:
Just an observation, the torque steer happens to my car a lot lately. If i try to get a fast start from stand still, my wheels tend to steer. Nothing alarming, but just an observation. Also after driving over the amazing roads in Mumbai, the car has developed a lot of rattles.
Torque steer is probably common stuff for FWD vehicles due to inherent design and transverse layout of the engine and drive axle. However, front tires which have lost grip may also lead to it. Will suggest you to check the air pressure too for negating the possibility of over-inflation and unequal tire air pressures. Few other reasons may be incorrect alignment or brake drag on a particular front wheel.

Quote:
Whomever came with the idea of putting paver blocks on the roads, may he find wisdom in life.
During a visit to Japan, there were roads with paver blocks but i was told that it had a layer of cement under it to avoid it from getting pressed in the ground due to traffic movement. They looked stunning. Here, its a mess and the rains are just around the corner.
Thanks for the information. Certainly looks good technique to tackle the problem.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 21st May 2015 at 18:22.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 20:22   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
...Another thing i notice is that if i rev the Car hard, as in put the Pedal down quicker, i see lot of Black Smoke coming out from the exhaust.
Is this normal or some treatment needs to be done to fix this ?...
MOST probably (almost certainly) it could just be the unburnt diesel. As long as you feel the surge as the turbo revs, I guess its no big deal, it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
My colleague who has a May 2014 Ritz Vdi has the same problem if he presses the accpedal down faster too. On enquiring at MASS, they said it was due to poor quality of Diesel that he is using, and that he should use Shell diesel. Willing to try it out, he filled diesel at Shell for another 6 months, with no improvement.

He had given for the 3rd service yesterday and the often repeated 'poor diesel' excuse came out. They even have two cans on display, one filled with normal diesel and another with shell diesel. He asked them to check out the entire air circuit for any oil traces. They called him in the evening yesterday, saying that they drained the diesel and saw that the diesel is of poor quality. They are claiming that they will fill 10trs of shell diesel in his car and prove it.

My friend is going to check for the same smoke in the test drive Ritz and also will keep an eye on the smoke from his car for 2 more days. Lets see how that turns out.

Another colleague who has the same complaint in his Ritz went up to the highest levels of Maruti management , with no success. Tired, he has now chosen to ignore the smoke screen that he leaves behind during an overtaking maneuver
The ASC is making an invalid arguement, if the Diesel is bad, ask Maruti to make cars for the kind Diesel available in India.

Today its no big deal, but (god forbid) if the injectors get clogged or a major issue crops up tomorrow & the Maruti ASC faults the 'Diesel quality' and denies warranty, then what?

Its a completely invalid argument. If the Diesel is bad, then the impurities should be taken care of by the Diesel Filter.

Here too I'd guess its just unburnt diesel, when the accelerator is excessively depressed, black smoke due to unburnt fuel will come from even the most advanced diesel engines.

If still doubtful, ask him to get the car checked for leaks in the Turbo hose.

Else, all is fine.

(At most, maybe get the EGR cleaned. But as long as the surge in the turbo band is good, IMO leave it be.)

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 21st May 2015 at 20:25.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 21:42   #1394
BANNED

Quote:
Recently, whenever going over even the smallest bumps a sound comes from the rear as if something is hitting a metal or plastic piece.
Let's see what could be the cause I'm the boot area, provided your boy is empty and has a spare wheel, tool kit, a jack and warning triangle.

I have my suspects on a loose jack place on the metal floor or tool kit rattling. There is a bracket that is provided for placing the jack in it. Hope it is tight in there!?

Quote:
What should be the next upgrade? I would like to get better gripping tyres for some spirited driving.
1) Michelin XM2 - Softer, grip levels are good ;

2) Yokohama Earth 1 - Made for India tyres with good grip and silent too.

3) Bridgestone AR20 - Another good tyre but slightly in the harder side.

Quote:
Just an observation, the torque steer happens to my car a lot lately. If i try to get a fast start from stand still, my wheels tend to steer.
I have my doubts on the ball joints OR lower an bushes. Get the bushes changed and drive shaft boots too checked. Any movement in suspension components, can allow the wheels to steer in one direction.

Someone steering components do give the Torque steer.

Also the tyre pressures should be correct in all wheels.

But before get the wheel balancing and rotation done. If there is the steer then get the suspension and steering components checked.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:30   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post

Hope the air filter has been checked. It's when the black smoke issue comes up, that I change my filter Normally around 10k intervals. Every time I go to MASS to change the filter, the routine answer comes up. "Sir, the filter looks good, no need to change" and I reply with "Ok, however please change it". It has sorted out my black smoke issue every time. After all its a matter of 250 Rs.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks