Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2009, 14:18   #496
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Honda have come to believe that Indians would pay any price for the "H" badge. But this time they have dug their own grave. Park a Jazz next to a Swift which in its diesel form is over 2 lakhs cheaper and looks at least twice as good even after being around for over 3 years. Who wants a hatch which is basically a 2003 City minus tail? And it's costing more than City cost in 2003.
Old 22nd June 2009, 02:01   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
My colleague and fellow bhpian Ranjith_arp is the first person I know personally who has booked the Jazz! I think he is going to get a white one.

Main reasons that he picked Jazz -
1. Space!
2. Refinement..
3. Quality of interiors

All three points in comparison, he found the GP was far behind. He test drove both the cars back to back and came up with his conclusion.
He would have saved lakhs by picking up i20 instead. His reason no.1 & 3 seems to be better served by i20 than the Jazz, IMO.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:33   #498
Senior - BHPian

well considering Vtec is just the hype, I ( who never looked at hyundai before) can easily say that the engine is as good as a Honda.

the koreans have come a long way while Honda has been dishing out cars under the Vtec banner for years.

So overall i20 would be an excellent buy over Honda Jazz at the price points.
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:50   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Great Review GTO! 160 mm ground clearance! I don't think Honda is listening to customer feedback! I have been having hell of a time with City
Absolutely! Thats probably the only flaw I could find in my NHC. Otherwise its fairly sweet!

PS: Its a bit lazy too but if you rev a bit harder, you are fine.

Last edited by Equus : 22nd June 2009 at 20:52.
Old 24th June 2009, 15:55   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcool View Post
bad honda ... bad bad honda !!!
LOL!!! I don't know how you meant it, but in my head its said in the same tone as someone would use with a dog that's been bad. That got quite a chuckle out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
My take on the Jazz:

I test drove the jazz 3 days back. There is nothing phenomenal about the car which justifies the absurd pricing - the handling was average, the ride was average, and the (less) pickup will leave you downshifting frequently to get past the usual highway traffic..

My question to the sales guy regarding the high price were answered back with the usual - high resale value, quality, reliability, magic seats etc.

I asked regarding the skimping on basic features like alloy wheels and ACC for a car at this price. No answer from the salesman.

Overall, extremely, extremely disappointed. Disgusted even. This is the car I had waited for - for more than 1 and a half years. Its not that I can't pay for this car - its just that looking at this price-features-performance matrix - I DON'T WANT TO.

I seriously don't see the need for magic seats. That's one thing where Honda shouldn't have bothered for the Indian market.

Give me a 1.2L i-VTEC Jazz without the "expensive" titanium cloth, without those overhyped magic seats (sliding rear seats would've rocked instead), without the stereo and steering-mounted controls, without the electrically adjusting mirrors even. Just give me my Airbags and ABS, and the awesome interior space preposition. And give it to me for less than 5.8-6 lacs ex-showroom (Delhi).

That's a winner in my books - the Jazz E version.

In the meantime, I refuse to answer my Honda salesman's calls!
Couldn't have out it better myself. Except for the fact that I wouldn't pay 6L for a car with a 1.2 engine. Nothing less than a 1.5 iVtec churning out at least a ton of horses.

I'm not in the market for a car right now, but out of sheer curiosity I went down to the dealer's and TD'd this thing. I couldn't find ONE SINGLE THING about it that would make me want to buy it. If I was being generous, I'd say that the design and quality of the interiors was pretty good, but that's about it.
It struck me as a very average car with a less-than-average ride. Wayyy too harsh in the front. It skitted over potholes and bumps without absorbing them at all. No nimbleness in the handling, no noteworthy oomph from the engine.

And close to 9L on the road for certain variants. Good grief.

I cannot imagine Honda getting something so catastrophically wrong. Proof of the pudding they say, is in the eating. Not a SINGLE person I know has said they would buy this car at this price point. At 6L, sure. At 9L, no friggin way.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th June 2009 at 19:22. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 24th June 2009, 16:10   #501
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

It s a pretty looking car, the Jazz - I like the ad line too
Test drove this car last weekend - Sunday.

Lovely space. Clever increase in rear space with seats flat, by moving the fuel tank to below the front seats.
Airy, cool cabin, lovely view all around. Lots of glass and I love the shape of the car - very stylish.

Bad Blind Spot in front - A pillar area - despite being tall it is a bit tough for me to judge the exact proportions.

Nice suspension - very comfy both in front and the rear.

very roomy too - both in front and the rear.

While the engine is touted to be great etc, I find it a bit lazy - not as free revving or as responsive as one expects a Honda to be.

Indeed I asked the man whether they have fitted a governor. He looked at me with an air of surprise.

Sad tyre size - could have been bigger.

Also - why should such an expensive car come with only one variant and that too, without alloy wheels and other such functional accessories?

I am not too happy with the choice of colours they've given either.

Personally I feel it is a luxurious city runabout - ideal for the loaded yuppie types.

However I would hesitate to "throw" the car in and out of corners because i will always be afraid of banging into some immovable or movable object which I probably will miss on account of the blind spot.

The car will be lovely to use in the city and on highways too, unlike most other hatchback cars.

Final analysis - its a very expensive hatchback car in my opinion and probably will be a good idea to see what happens to its re-sale value in the "pre-owned" market - I would probably consider this as a "pre-owned" option, not as a brand new one, because of the sheer price:value equation.

cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th June 2009 at 16:11.
Old 24th June 2009, 16:29   #502
BHPian

I'd pay 9L OTR for the civic hatch Honda Civic Type S | Book Test Drive | Specification, Finance & Information 9L cos I am sure they will strip it down majorly and not provide alloys or climate control, etc in India.
OR maybe 15L OTR for the fully loaded civic type R
Honda Civic Type R | Book Test Drive | Specification, Finance & Information
Old 24th June 2009, 18:11   #503
BHPian

I bought the i20 in March this year, as I could not wait for the Jazz then. I also knew it would be bare minimum 10-15% higher than the 6.5 lakh OTR that I was shelling out for the i20, but my logic was that I would be able to make up for the higher upfront through higher resale, and enjoy Honda luxury (perceived??) for the 3-4 years I would own it.
But came June 10th and all hell broke loose. It was official.. Honda had priced the Jazz into orbit

The Honda showroom is near my office so dropped in to see what spaceship Honda had launched at 8l+ OTR. My dad-in-law owns a NHC (which I feel has brilliant interiors, space and decent engine), so my expectations of Jazz were not low. With first looks the Jazz interiors are very high quality in parts, and good in the rest. The magic seats are awesome, boot size is huge, but looks are rather plain. I have heard the engine is refined and good, but nothing to tom-tom about.

But throughout my inspection, I kept thinking just one thing; doesn't Honda stand for luxury, about spoiling oneself? If someone like me, comparing with my humble i20 were to ask; but what about alloys, ACC, fog lamps, foldable side mirrors, USB? Are these features really extras which one should do without and still claim to be premium buyers?
What were you thinking Honda? Pay 30% premium for a 1.2 tin box with your badge alright, but 30% discount on features compared to other better equipped but cheaper brands? Did that just add to a 60% hit ??
But I have to thank Honda, for I came back home and fell in love with my i20 all over again
Old 24th June 2009, 18:59   #504
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

brilliantly expressive review! i greatly enjoyed reading it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
I bought the i20 in March this year, as I could not wait for the Jazz then. I also knew it would be bare minimum 10-15% higher than the 6.5 lakh OTR that I was shelling out for the i20, but my logic was that I would be able to make up for the higher upfront through higher resale, and enjoy Honda luxury (perceived??) for the 3-4 years I would own it.
But came June 10th and all hell broke loose. It was official.. Honda had priced the Jazz into orbit

The Honda showroom is near my office so dropped in to see what spaceship Honda had launched at 8l+ OTR. My dad-in-law owns a NHC (which I feel has brilliant interiors, space and decent engine), so my expectations of Jazz were not low. With first looks the Jazz interiors are very high quality in parts, and good in the rest. The magic seats are awesome, boot size is huge, but looks are rather plain. I have heard the engine is refined and good, but nothing to tom-tom about.

But throughout my inspection, I kept thinking just one thing; doesn't Honda stand for luxury, about spoiling oneself? If someone like me, comparing with my humble i20 were to ask; but what about alloys, ACC, fog lamps, foldable side mirrors, USB? Are these features really extras which one should do without and still claim to be premium buyers?
What were you thinking Honda? Pay 30% premium for a 1.2 tin box with your badge alright, but 30% discount on features compared to other better equipped but cheaper brands? Did that just add to a 60% hit ??
But I have to thank Honda, for I came back home and fell in love with my i20 all over again
Old 24th June 2009, 20:32   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Honda got the whole concept wrong for the Jazz.
If the most ardent Honda fan on T-BHP is disgruntled with this car, I must say, Honda surely has lost the plot.

Talked with my best friend, who is HUGE fan of Jazz. He gave all reasons to justify how it is an excellent car. In the end, I asked him, "If you are in the market for a premium hatch, will you buy this car at this price?" Prompt came the answer, "NO". This coming from a guy, who deferred his car purchase by 6 months only in anticipation of Jazz, before finally going ahead and buying NHC last year.
Old 24th June 2009, 21:14   #506
Senior - BHPian

I took a TD of Jazz couple of weeks ago and got a followup call from the dealer.

When the salesguy asked me why I am not buying the jazz, I replied in one word : Overpriced.

Then we started telling me how low maintenance the Jazz is and how I will save money in the long run! He told me things like coolant will last 200000 kms & the fuel filter will last 80000 kms.

I really felt sorry for the salesguy, because of his uphill battle!
Old 25th June 2009, 00:07   #507
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
He told me things like coolant will last 200000 kms & the fuel filter will last 80000 kms.

I really felt sorry for the salesguy, because of his uphill battle!
Coolant lasting 2 lakh KMs? Where do these salesmen come up with such figures? I am sure even Rolls Royce's coolant won't last as long without requiring a top up or flushing. This is the most absurd sales talk I ever heard.

Back in 2003, too, when NHC was launched, a big hype was generated about its mileage by automagazines. I know three guys around 2003-04 who got vexed of their NHC's 6-7 kpl fuel consumption, and switched to diesel cars, 2 of them to Accent CRDis.
Old 25th June 2009, 01:32   #508
Senior - BHPian

just like Linea outsold Corollas and Cedia's and optra's, I am sure Jazz will outsell them too. :P It can outsell the smaller Swift/ i20 segment too if the H religion is widely prevalent.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 25th June 2009 at 01:34.
Old 25th June 2009, 07:58   #509
BHPian

This is nothing new from Honda. Same is the case with ANHC which is low on features & 1-1.5L more expensive than competing brands. And people are still lapping it up like there's no tomorrow.

So Honda might as well get away with Jazz ... you know Indians have a weakness for anything Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
but what about alloys, ACC, fog lamps, foldable side mirrors, USB? Are these features really extras which one should do without and still claim to be premium buyers?
Old 25th June 2009, 11:14   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post

So Honda might as well get away with Jazz ... you know Indians have a weakness for anything Honda
Am not sure. At that price point people seriously start thinking about Sedans! Thats why your Fabias also dont sell as well!!! They are even Diesels!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks