Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 12:27   #1336
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Honda Jazz

Guys, I am a little concerned with the Jazz mileage and would like to know what others feel.

Went for a road trip from Hyderabad to Dandeli with four adults, a child and luggage in a new Jazz which did 1500 kms. The ac was on in for most of the time and I was doing between 90 to 120 kmph whenever the road was free.

The total trip turned out to be 1322 kms and after calculations the mileage is turning out to be 12.8 kms.

This seems very bad and would like to know from others as to what the reason could be.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:25   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Did you attend to the Instant Fuel Consumption meter while driving?

Had you got the air pressure checked before the trip?

Is the petrol filled regularly at the same pump?

If all was good, your engine might need a lil tuning.

Just my 2 paise.
Old 11th January 2012, 16:24   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Did you attend to the Instant Fuel Consumption meter while driving?

Had you got the air pressure checked before the trip?

Is the petrol filled regularly at the same pump?

If all was good, your engine might need a lil tuning.

Just my 2 paise.
Yes Devarshi. The air was checked up and the petrol is filled up at the same company owned station. I also dont revv much and pretty economical on the clutch

But no, I did not attend to the instant fuel consumption meter on the dash.

Just gave it for servicing and the guy tells me that 14-15 kmpl is what one should expect on the highway for a new Jazz.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:29   #1339
BHPian

My Jazz X (Rallye Red) is booked at Pearl Honda Gurgaon.

Suddenly since last Saturday (7th January) the SA has called me thrice asking if I would like to "upgrade" to the Honda City to get an early delivery (During February), and if I stick to the Jazz I might get the car only by March/April.

I have been in a dilemma for some time on whether I should shift to some other car instead of the Jazz, but after revisiting this thread today it looks like production is picking up at Honda again and the delivery cannot be so far away.

For the record I had booked the car on Ganesh Chaturthi (1st September 2011)!!!

Last edited by abhi413 : 11th January 2012 at 23:30. Reason: Typo
Old 12th January 2012, 12:05   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeggina View Post
Yes Devarshi. The air was checked up and the petrol is filled up at the same company owned station. I also dont revv much and pretty economical on the clutch

But no, I did not attend to the instant fuel consumption meter on the dash.

Just gave it for servicing and the guy tells me that 14-15 kmpl is what one should expect on the highway for a new Jazz.
I find your fuel average on lower side. By any chance do you vary the speed too much during the trip ? Down shifting frequently to overtake, riding in lower gears for long time also uses up more fuel.
However since its a new car, you can expect the average to increase down the line as the car opens up.
Do calculate the mileage with Inst meter and tankful method after servicing.
My Jazz gave me around 16+ kmpl for a 800 kms highway trip recently with 5 people plus luggage on board that too with AC on 70% time and speeds from 80-110 kmph. I feel it can definitely give more mileage if driven more sedately.
kbrtz125 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 13:41   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrtz125 View Post
I find your fuel average on lower side. By any chance do you vary the speed too much during the trip ? Down shifting frequently to overtake, riding in lower gears for long time also uses up more fuel.
However since its a new car, you can expect the average to increase down the line as the car opens up.
Do calculate the mileage with Inst meter and tankful method after servicing.
My Jazz gave me around 16+ kmpl for a 800 kms highway trip recently with 5 people plus luggage on board that too with AC on 70% time and speeds from 80-110 kmph. I feel it can definitely give more mileage if driven more sedately.
. Will keep that in mind Kbrtz.

How many kms has your Jazz run? I now hear that your kind of mileage will be achievable after having run in for 4000kms.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:00   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
. Will keep that in mind Kbrtz.

How many kms has your Jazz run? I now hear that your kind of mileage will be achievable after having run in for 4000kms.
Well the run-in was longer than the recommended 1000 kms. I kept on pushing the limits gradually and not in one go. So dont the exact kms when the run-in was stopped. My car has done over 10K Kms (It is from the older lot i.e. pre-Aug 2011)

You might also want to go through below thread for more tips

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...fficiency.html
Old 12th January 2012, 14:22   #1343
Senior - BHPian

the max difference you can expect after the engine sets in is 1kmpl. Get adjusted to keeping the Isntant FE meter above 20kmpl and you should be good.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:34   #1344
Senior - BHPian

In my experience, Honda engines generally take a little time to settle in (as much as 3-5k km) and then only one gets very good FE. Then from 5k km to 100k kms you will consistently very good FE. The first 1-3k km are quite pathetic where FE is concerned in most cars anyway.
Old 13th January 2012, 00:33   #1345
BHPian

I was confused between the swift and the jazz, but today the honda dealership told me that they would take no new bookings for atleast 4 months, so the swift it is.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:29   #1346
BHPian

Kbrtz, Devarshi. Thanks.

Sandeep. I will wait and see if the mileage improves with kms. Meanwhile the car is back from servicing and let me see how it performs now.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:58   #1347
Senior - BHPian

12.8 kmpl over a distance of 1322km seems to be definitely on the lower side, may be because of running –in.
BTW how many KM’s of running-in does Honda suggest ?
FE varies a lot depending on your driving style , speed, load, road condition etc etc. may be a longer term average will show up a better FE.

Quote:
Guys, I am a little concerned with the Jazz mileage and would like to know what others feel.

Went for a road trip from Hyderabad to Dandeli with four adults, a child and luggage in a new Jazz which did 1500 kms. The ac was on in for most of the time and I was doing between 90 to 120 kmph whenever the road was free.

The total trip turned out to be 1322 kms and after calculations the mileage is turning out to be 12.8 kms.

This seems very bad and would like to know from others as to what the reason could be.
Old 13th January 2012, 12:23   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
I was confused between the swift and the jazz, but today the honda dealership told me that they would take no new bookings for atleast 4 months, so the swift it is.
Since when has Swift been available off the shelf.

And I still feel Ford Figo and Nissan Micra are better cars. Just my opinion.

Also, if its for two people, you can look at the Brio since it uses the same engine. Lighter, smaller car = more power in the city
Old 13th January 2012, 23:37   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Since when has Swift been available off the shelf.

And I still feel Ford Figo and Nissan Micra are better cars. Just my opinion.

Also, if its for two people, you can look at the Brio since it uses the same engine. Lighter, smaller car = more power in the city
Swift P is available wit a 15-20 days waiting, Micra and Brio are too girly,moreover brio is too small a car for me, wont fit a regular sized golf bag in the boot, the swift takes it with ease. Micra is no fun to drive, neither is the figo P with its sluggish 67hp engine.

I have reviewed all these cars over the past few months and wanted to get the Jazz, but now i am left with no other choice.
Old 14th January 2012, 00:57   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Jazz is supposed to be the most powerful on paper, but unlike what many will tell you, A v-tec engine's power comes at higher revvs. The car simply lacks the torque needed to punter around town.

The point is, Ford's 1.2 engine is much more suited to city driving and still makes for an excellent fun to drive vehicle minus the looks. The horses are no use if you cannot use them.

As far as I am concerned, Swift is currently the most over rated car in the market. The engine is a gem no doubt, but there are much better options at the price range it is pegged at.

If you really want power for Jazz kind of money, you can also look at Polo 1.6 and Fabia 1.6.

PS: I've no intention to turn you away from Swift towards other cars. Just posting my opinion.

The new Jazz, although with the advanced magic seats make for an excellent case for itself.

I seldom carry loads in my car and the magic seats help a lot. Unfortunately I missed out on the newer version which lets you adjust the seatbacks for comfort ala the first WagonR's ( I had one.) For practicality, it is hard to beat a Jazz.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks