Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 00:23   #1
BHPian

Welcome Beista my Ford Fiesta

I know most of the Ford Fiesta Lovers/owners in this forum as I am closely follow their threads but this time I got chance to interact with you.

Today finally I manage to convince Mod's to get write access (shadowed by Mods) and now I can imagine why members on this forum writes so much in details which includes their Dil Se (sorry but am bit inclined towards ford)feeling.

Why I was pulled on BHP Site - Looking for best sedan car.
How I came to know about Team-BHP - Was doing search on couple of site and luckily got introduced to this useful forum.

From last 3- 4 months am following all threads and I know most of the members who recently bought their new cars (All brands). But genuinely I followed thread which talks about fiesta and hats off to these members as they write such a detailed description which really helps and inspires new members.

Few members names I would like to mention here are - Shajus (Very first name I can think of because he has real big time patience and still he manage to maintain that pace), Frankmehta (Really owes CARgasm), raamki (He simply gone fida on Fiesta and takes practical decision),gksunil (Congrats on your new car),Vnabhi (I always seen his genuine inputs & help irrespective of how old the thread is), Suman (Great - I think this word talks all about him), amoghchaphalkar(Nice to see Punekars )!

This list will not end but would like to mention few names though - ariendj, sunilrj, lamborghini, Nikhilb2008 and its going on and on..!
Need to pull my horses before Mod say anything! (Sorry others if I missed some of you as this is my first thread so trying to follow protocols)

Now how I narrowed down to fiesta -

I own car from Maruti brand so one can easily make out what all requirements or expectations I would have from my next car. I heard lot about A.S.S of Ford so that’s why I read every bodies experience and finally I able to take decision from 'dil se' and bit little from 'dimag se'.

Cars which was on my wish list was -

SX4: Very first car on my list as I am Maruti customer but the rear looks of it made to look for other option.
Chev Optra - Very big car and that impressed me alot. There was very less recommendation from all. (It’s my personal opinion though)
Honda city - I think this car remains in wish list of everyone who thinks about sedan. But high pricing forced me to move ahead. I liked this car but need to take practical decision.
Verna - Didn’t like the exterior but heard its good in performance on highways.
Fiesta - Finally I got everything in this car - Looks, Performance, Ride, Comfort and what all I should write.

A month ago I checked with dealer in Pune and got estimates for 1.6 SXI as the sales chap convinced me that I should go for 1.6 rather than 1.4 as my driving is around 1000Km per month.
In few days I heard that new SXI is coming so I thought I should wait and watch. Finally on 31st July (I still remember the date by which you can very well understand how desperately I was waiting for it) the car was in news and on 1st I checked it in showroom. I manage to view Morello & silver with lot of chrome. I liked the silver one as the chrome was going well with it but with Morello the silver grill somehow not matching and this made me to course myself for not booking old SXI version. The dealer said he can give old SXI which is on display but I said big NO for it.

Test Drive - Dealer brought 1.6 S and we gone on long drive and it impressed me alot (doing Wroom wroom). At signal also the car picked up in 2nd or even in third gear. This I was not expecting at all but the sales chap was telling not to lower the gear but I was habitual to my old car. The AC was quick and made the compartment cool very quickly.

Next day I decided to try diesel and gone for another ride. The TURBO really impressed me alot and made to change my decision to go back with 1.4 (What a car!). On second day I saw white SXI and found that chrome grill looks good but by this time I was also thinking about 1.4 so now I was in dilemma. From very first day I was saying that I want to see black fiesta but they was not having it and they said we place order for black don’t keep in stock as its difficult to maintain. So till date I not able to see how black fiesta will look with silver grill?? (Will it look like Morello or it well goes very well with black?)

The sales chap realised that I didn’t like chrome grill and he also don’t know when it will be there for display so he said why don’t you go for ZXI 1.4 as its costing almost same as SXI and you also get Diesel version in it. Now this really made to think in that direction and now SXI name was getting faded from my mind. I asked him how about if I don’t drive much then will the engine go down soon? The answer to my question was some technical concept he said 4 cylinders or valve and only one works something. Hoshh, I finally make out that it will work without any issue but I was bit confused as our office is getting shifted in phases to new IT park which is almost 90Km (both way) than the current one (30Km) and most likely will need to go by office bus only.

But sometime I think I need to go by own vehicle as well (due to project deadlines) so my car will remain in running mode.

OK the Model finalised is 1.4 ZXI.

Now the colour - As all likes black same do I but mother insisted on Platinum gold. You can very well imagine what the final outcome was. Yeah, Platinum is finalised.

Negotiation and the deal -

My old car will be exchanged and for which I got decent (I should say excellent and this is as per comparing it with carwale analysis) figure from dealer.
  • Dealer quoted - 8.30L On road price.
  • Discount - Insurance 21K, Corporate discount 7K (for petrol they giving 15K - Not sure why so much change).
  • Accessories - Regular boot mat, floor mat, mud flap.
  • Demanded - 1.6 S spoiler (Agreed), Side strip (50% I need to share the price).

So final value on road - 805000

Still it’s in negotiation and I demanded that in Accessories need (spoiler + side strip) and on road value should be 7.97L (considering remaining 7K corporate discount).

Upgrades -
Immediate - Michelin 185/65/R14, 3M Sun film, Sports Pedal (if possible)
Seat cover - It will be next on list but not immediate as I planning to put Stanley.
Alloys - Later

Tyre deal -
Michelin 185/65/R14 - Rs 3650/- per tyre (Going for 5 piece)
The difference after exchange which I need to pay is Rs 5500/-
So my stock tyres price on exchange will be Rs 2550/- per tyre.
If I don’t take Reebok bag then they said they will adjust another 600/-. I planning to take delivery on Dashera but thinking to pay the dealer for tyres and get 600/- waived off as the scheme is valid till end of this month.

Please do provide your inputs and thoughts which can help me to steal good deal from the dealer.
Old 20th August 2009, 05:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

@Kumar: Congratulations!
You will not regret buying her, and I won't be surprised if you end up driving to work everyday just for the heck of it.
The 1.4D has very good driveability in the city and can keep up with the petrol fiesta till about 90kmph, while being cheaper to run!
From my experience, the car performs the best between 1500-3000/3500 rpm.

Also, the 1.4 ZXi, IMO, happens to be the best VFM variant as it lets us enthusiasts decide what alloys and leather and ICE to put in on our own. If I am not mistaken, the ZXi now comes with ABS, which was much required in the car.

Now a few things:
- Tyres: I would suggest you get 4 pieces of the Michelins. In our previous Lancer, we got 195/60R14 tyres on alloys instead of 185/60R14 and it didn't fit too well in the trunk as it was bigger. This might not be the case with the fiesta but do check it out.
Also, which Michelins are these? Try and get the Primacy LC if you are looking for a comfort oriented tyre, as these are the latest from Michelin.
If these are not available in the size, then go ahead with the XM1+ tyres which Shajufx has got.

Now a few things as you are switching over to a diesel car:
- Do run the engine in!
- when switching the vehicle off, pls let the car idle for a minute so that the turbo can cool down and switch off.
- When changing gears, please remember that this is a diesel and after 3000-3500 rpm, she will feel strained. Generally when driving in the city (NOT SPIRITED DRIVING), i generally change the gears at around 1750rpm. The corresponding speeds are:
1st - 2nd: 15kmph
2nd - 3rd: 30kmph
3rd - 4th: 40kmph
4th - 5th: 50kmph
Generally around these speeds, the rpm is at 1250 and the engine isn't strained.

- The clutch will be a bit heavier than that of a Maruti. I like this, some don't.

- The engine will take some time to warm up (more than the petrol), and once she is warmed, the car will sound and perform like a petrol.

Apart from that, you are good to go. The car is one beautiful work of art, and will serve you well provide you follow routine maintainance, and take care of her. Please do remember to idle her for a minute before switching her off.

Let me know if there is anyway I can help you out in, and once again, Congrats!
Waiting for the pics and ownership review. The Platinum color will really be easy to maintain.

Last edited by lamborghini : 20th August 2009 at 05:09.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:08   #3
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Kumar ! You'll love the TDCi to bits !
Old 20th August 2009, 12:39   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy. happy motoring
Old 20th August 2009, 13:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
Congratulations Kumar for the wisest decision one can make
Regarding your stock tire exchange part, I got a shock seeing it. Are you sure of the figure ? I got only 1700 per stock tire, as same with few other members too. Please comment. Michelin Energy XM1+ 185/65/R14 is the best tire for fiesta. I have it and I enjoy every second on them.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:27   #6
BHPian

Congrats Kumar. Drive safe and enjoy the TDCi
Old 20th August 2009, 13:41   #7
BHPian

Another Fiesta!! Congrats Kumar. The hard clutch (comparitively) that Lambo has mentioned is true, and will be a major difference if you have been driving a petrol car.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:51   #8
JRD
BHPian

kumar, I just met a guy in the parking lot and he was asking me how my linea was and what other options were there worth buying. I told him to also try the fiesta TDCI.

Ive driven it and its a fantastic diesel.
Congratulations.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
Kumar, welcome to the forum and the beasta club!! congrats on your buy, you'll love the platinum! and thank you for the compliment pal!!

Is there a possibility you could courier 4 Michelin XM1+ tires to me in exchange for my stock for the same price? damn, that's a steal of a deal!!

anyway, congrats again buddy!!
Old 20th August 2009, 20:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Kumar, kudos to your decision and welcome to the Go Fida club! As Lambo said, the 1.4 D keeps pace with the petrol 1.6 till about 90 kmph, which is the range most of us drive 90% of the time.
Do post a review as soon as you get her.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:28   #11
BHPian

Thanks Lamborghini!
Day by day the news of moving our dept to new IT Park is getting confirmed but yeah this is a good reason for me to have long drive
During TD the sales chap said that after 2000 rpm turbo is charged so am just comparing it with plane take off concept and it really takes you to the experience when you are in the mid of sky & run way. (I may be exaggerating but am fida so need to believe on it)

I was wishing roof window in new SXI but it I was disappointed bit when I checked the new face lifted SXI upgrades. Yeah the ZXI model comes with ABS and I tried it by breaking it couple of time during TD as this is the time you can do experiments and not with your own car.

About tyres you mentioned a very valid point and I need to check about it. I think Shajufx is the best person to comment as he purchased these tyres. After reading your suggestion about Primacy LC I gone through few threads & Michelin site however I didn’t found tyre for 14' rim but tomorrow I will check with dealer.

This is first time I am going to use Diesel vehicle so all your inputs are really going to help me alot as I was not aware of these things.
- Could you please elaborate "Do run the engine in!"
- Switching off concept was totally new. Thanks for this.
- Oh Lambo, hats off to your observation and this is what I wanted to know as I was not sure @ what rpm gear shift for Diesel is required.

Yeah when very first time I driven Diesel dragon it was very much charged up as the Sales chap driven it till the highway comes and when I took the charge it was like wrooom!! and at that instant I decided its Diesel which I will book for sure.

During second time I drived the diesel car but it was brought just from the parking and I think I was the first person to drive her so I was just waiting for the turbo I was continuously looking for that moment but hardly got chance to experience as I was driving through congested place and then the sales chap told me that turbo triggers @ 2000rpm so I missed that experience.

I know am asking this question too early but am preparing myself to take full charge of my love on Dashera and don’t want to keep me busy in understanding all these small small things. Could you please tell me what rpm & speed limit need to maintain for first few kms?
Old 20th August 2009, 21:56   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@Kumar: Glad to help.
First thing, the turbo kicks in before 2000rpm. i believe it is around 1500ish rpm as it is from then on that I feel pick up increases. The advantage the fiesta offered over the more powerful Verna D was that the turbo kicked in earlier, thus improving driveability in the city.
Also, while some cars have the push once the turbo kicks in, due to the way the turbo is in the fiesta, the pick up is more linear and you will not always feel the push.

About the engine run-in: Basically, it is advised to not stress the engine and gearbox too much during the first 1000-2000km. This is as the engine is new and is not set in. This is also one of the reasons why:
- FE increases after 1000-2000km.
- Engine becomes more refined
- why some experts suggest an oil change in the first service itself, so as to remove some metal chippings and such that could be present while the engine is set.
Please note that the oil change isn't required at the first service, but many experts do recommend one. Also, the engine run in required for all cars sold in India, be it petrol or diesel.

During the run in, it is advisable to not cross 3K rpm. Generally, try shifting to a higher gear at 1750-2000rpm, as that is a good run in speed as well as a good way to get good FE, without lugging the engine.

While on the run in topic, it is advised by some to not strain the tyres too for 50-100km. That means trying to avoid hard braking/cornering etc. This is because tyres generally come with a protective layer around them, which goes away in 50-100km.

Also, one more thing about diesels is that the engine oil used for diesels is generally thicker and darker than the one used in petrol. When we got our first diesel car, the driver was confused as to whether the oil was changed or not as it looked darker than what it normally should.

Guys, please correct me if any of the above information is misleading.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:24   #13
BHPian

One thing I've always heard about running in engine is to avoid driving at a single, constant RPM- it is best to keep varying the RPM throughout the drive. So for example, you could fix a widish RPM range and keep varying the speed/gears so that you get the engine run in all RPM ranges. Of course, don't strain the engine too much at lower or higher ranges.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Congrats Kumar ! You'll love the TDCi to bits !
Thanks NIP! Yeah I can imagine now how other feels when the countdown begins to bring her at home . Though am still far away to take delivery but yeah now I spent almost whole evening in doing research on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Congratulations on your buy. happy motoring
@ Phanitha/Deepak: Thanks buddy!
Old 20th August 2009, 23:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Congratulations Kumar for the wisest decision one can make
Regarding your stock tire exchange part, I got a shock seeing it. Are you sure of the figure ? I got only 1700 per stock tire, as same with few other members too. Please comment. Michelin Energy XM1+ 185/65/R14 is the best tire for fiesta. I have it and I enjoy every second on them.

Thanks Shajufx!
Yeah, when I was at dealer place I was sure that I will not agree for anything below 1700/- for new stock tyres. The dealer simply said the price of XM1+ will cost 3650/- per tyre and I need to pay difference of 5500/- only hence the calculation is like this and please let me know if I made any mistake in calculating.

I checked with Dealer on phone and he said that new fiesta is coming with MRF tyres so the tyre dealer narrowed down the difference and said the last deal he can give is that I need to pay Rs 5500/- as difference instead of 6500/- (At the beginning the dealer quoted difference amount of 6500/-)

Each XM1+ tyre = 3650/-
5 tyres = 3650 x 5 = 18250
Difference after exchange need to pay = 5500/-
Total cost of my stock tyre = (18250 - 5500)/5 = 2550/- per tyre

Hope the calculation is correct!

I need your inputs on two below points -

1) Lambo said that it worth to check if 185/65 R14 spare tyre can accommodate properly in trunk or you need to do lot of adjustment?
2) I read in one thread about ECU reprogram. Did you got chance to check with your dealer if they are doing for you after tyre upgrade?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks