Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:24   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Whoa! Does this happen only at 80 and reduces as speed increases?

I have never come across this issue.Feels fairly planted at 80,100,120 and the its very smooth.
I happens at 80 and increases with speed. I did not attempt more than 100. Earlier it was experienced above 100kmph but now it starts at 80 after last service at Pasco Autombiles Gurgaon. Unfortunately I do not have time to take the car again for checks. Will try and go this Christmas to try and fix this as far as possible.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:41   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys.

The K10 in our family is at 22,000 odd kms now.It is my mom's primary ride and it has been well looked after and serviced.I get to drive it whenever i am in town.

The engine has really opened up post 20,000kms.It pulls very earnestly from 2,500rpm in third! Mid range responses and torque has improved and above 4,000 rpm makes a nice noise too.
Mine has done 34k in 2.5 years and if you think its opened up after the 20k service wait until after the next service is done, it snarls like an angry feline waiting to be let loose on the highways

Quote:
1.The gearbox though is getting a bit more notchier over time.Especially the 1st-2nd gate.Shifting from 1-2,or 2nd to 1st,or 3rd to 2nd is a bit notchy and doesnt always slot in smoothly.Unlike say 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th or 2nd to 3rd.
This is surprising though, engaging the reverse gear has always been a pain and one has to live with it, you may face some resistance while downshifting from 2 - 1, in case the rpm is a tad higher than what it should be. The car has 'trained' me to downshift to 1st only when its down to a slow crawl, otherwise I routinely take speedbreakers in 2nd...talk about the so called absence of low end torque! You may want to get the clutch play tightened, on and off I have gotten that adjusted whenever I felt there was an issue with the gearshift. Of course, its not the best, but its not a pain either as you clock some miles on it.

Quote:
2.There is a vibration from the front right wheel while braking.A sort of rattling and it transmits to the steering.Warped rotors? Tyre pressure is all even and balanced.Still the rattling remains.Especially if i am slowing down from 80 to halt for a speed breaker,gradually.The rattling increases as the speed decreases.

3.The brakes have lost their bite and i think its time the pads are changed.Cost?
Could be rotors, also have the struts checked even though its too early for them to go kaput. Am surprised you think the pads are gone at 22k, no harm in checking however

Quote:
Is there any other sort of preventive maintaince that i should do around the 20-25,000 mark? Any places where i should check for wear/tear? Suspensions bushes?
I dont think any is needed, am paranoid about maintenance myself and take mine to Surakshaa now and then, much to the chagrin of the staff there who waste precious time in convincing me that all is well. I recently took her on a cross country wildcat run of 3.5k on some of the worst roads one can imagine (along with some really good ones). As the drive was long and I was short on patience, I dare say I ran her roughshod over some of those bad stretches. She took everything in her stride and asked for nothing more than a thorough wash upon our return. You can read more here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html

Just do the routine check om fluid levels and keep your ears strained for any squeaks and she should be fine

Quote:
Other than that the car's a gem.Love that engine.No squeaks from anywhere,build quality has been very good.It has seen highway runs with 4 aboard and luggage,plus AC and triple digit speeds for hours.Terrible rain,baking summer,potholed Kolkata and Howrah roads and hasnt missed a beat ever.
Cant agree more, keep clocking those miles
Old 24th December 2014, 08:15   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Whoa! Does this happen only at 80 and reduces as speed increases?

I have never come across this issue.Feels fairly planted at 80,100,120 and the its very smooth.

Check the drive shaft. I had gone through same thing. Ultimately changed the drive shafts and all is good since then.
Old 4th March 2015, 07:53   #874
BHPian

I have noticed that my 2010 K10 brakes won't bite well in hot weather but in cold weather they work well. I don't feel the confidence in braking. What do you all recommend? I am going outstation tomorrow so need to get it done asap
Old 11th November 2015, 11:42   #875
BHPian

A quick update on k10.

35000 km done. No major issues except windscreen washer pump failure(360 rs) and a minor sound from left suspension. Mileage is around 16 in city usage with 50% usage of AC. highways around 17 with 80% AC and speeds above 120 and heavy foot. but normal drives returns around 20 km on highways. The car is performing well and i am very happy for the price paid. I haven't tried the new K10 yet.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd February 2016 at 09:29. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid typing with excessive dots.... like.... this.... Thanks!
Old 7th March 2016, 17:37   #876
BHPian

I am planning to buy a second hand 1st gen Alto K10, two three years from now, when I hope to be on my own feet. I simply love this car for what it is...
Old 31st May 2016, 18:12   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Sir, you atleast brought an Alto, i brought an i10

Hahaha. After owning an k10 and driving my sisters i10, i feel for you. I have never got an opportunity to drive the 1.2 kappa. any idea how is performs?
Old 31st May 2016, 19:56   #878
BHPian

The only grouse i have with this car is with the location of its air filter. I clean air filter after every wash with pressurized air and it is quite difficult to remove the same. i wish they had put it in a better place for ease of removal.
Old 21st June 2016, 22:16   #879

I bought a December 2013 Alto K10 from True Value in March for short city runabouts. Everything about the car is great, except the mileage. I'm getting only around 11km/l. My usage is mostly short trips <10km within the city, with A/C always on. My monthly usage is only about 300km per month. I usually fill up once a month. Is this normal for my usage? I've attached a screenshot for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-image.png  

Old 28th June 2016, 06:50   #880
BHPian

The usual mileage of the Alto K10 is around 16 kmpl. Since your usage is very low and you fill up only once a month, do note that there is significant fuel loss due to evaporation. Do try filling up the tank to the brim, this usually aids in reducing vaporization. Also, try going on a longish drive over a weekend and do a tankfull-tankfull method to check the mileage. Make sure that the Tires are inflated to 32PSI as recommended.
Old 28th June 2016, 12:29   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_DTSi View Post
The usual mileage of the Alto K10 is around 16 kmpl. Since your usage is very low and you fill up only once a month, do note that there is significant fuel loss due to evaporation. Do try filling up the tank to the brim, this usually aids in reducing vaporization. Also, try going on a longish drive over a weekend and do a tankfull-tankfull method to check the mileage. Make sure that the Tires are inflated to 32PSI as recommended.
The abysmal FE is more due to the fact that in a B2B traffic you are either idling most of the time or barely able to engage the 4th gear, let alone the 5th than due to evaporation. The FE is almost same in winter as in summer. This results in using up fuel but not travelling much distance. In normal traffic you idle very little at a signal and most of the time you can engage the 4th and at times the 5th gear. In B2B traffic, especially with Ac the fuel consumption should be measured per hour instead of per kilometer, as in extreme cases you may travel 5 kilometers in an hour which in free flowing traffic should be done in ten minutes.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:02   #882
BHPian

Some things you can do to improve B2B traffic mileage.

1. Mechanical work - Get the spark plugs, air filter changed. Get the throttle body cleaned. Get the Clutch checked for wear. Replace if needed, though mine is at 60K kms and going strong. Correct clutch play, it drastically changes the way the clutch bites. Change oil to a decent Semi Synthetic oil, Unocal 76 Semi Synthetic is my preference, avoid Castrol, even Lal Ghoda is better. Get the radiator cleaned using compressed air and high pressure water, makes a big difference in cooling. Use cold tyre pressure of 33 psi for B2B use, reduce it to 32 for highway use. All this is needed cause you never know how the previous owner drove or maintained it.

2. Shift between 1500 - 2500 rpm. Basically the idea is to get the engine above 1500 rpm for every upshift. That change itself brought out a big mileage difference.

I went from 11 to 13.5 after doing all this. Even despite rev matching on downshifts.

Last edited by NOS Power : 28th June 2016 at 14:05.
NOS Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:25   #883

Thanks for the inputs, Guru and Aroy. I usually maintain tyre pressure between 32-33psi. I might go on a long drive once just to check if it improves the mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post

1. Mechanical work - Get the spark plugs, air filter changed. Get the throttle body cleaned. Get the Clutch checked for wear. Get the radiator cleaned using compressed air and high pressure water, makes a big difference in cooling. Use cold tyre pressure of 33 psi for B2B use, reduce it to 32 for highway use. All this is needed cause you never know how the previous owner drove or maintained it.

2. Shift between 1500 - 2500 rpm.

I think the clutch is fine, I've driven other K10s and I don't see a difference. I will get the filters and radiators cleaned to see if it makes a difference.

I do shift up at 2500 and down at 1000 - 1500 so I doubt that's the problem.

Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 13:34   #884
Senior - BHPian

For B2B traffic change the Airfilter every 3000-5000 km and get the spark plugs cleaned at least once a year.

Another thing to note is that the K10 engine is a high revving engine with its torque biased to higher RPM. Try not to run the engine below 2000 RPM, and see the difference in FE.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 19:10   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagato710 View Post
Hahaha. After owning an k10 and driving my sisters i10, i feel for you. I have never got an opportunity to drive the 1.2 kappa. any idea how is performs?
That's quite an old post.

After the i10 i changed to Fiesta, Verito, Rapid, and currently with S-Cross

1.2 is a decent engine, but the suspension - Chasis - Steering setup ensures zilch fun.

Recently drove a new gen i20 Petrol..things haven't changed much
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks