Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 16:06   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Chethan and I have already decided to buy a VAG cable. However I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet as I didn't get time to look into it.
Would you guys please post total cost delivered of the VAG COM (or just the cable) before you order.

Thanks
Old 25th September 2010, 17:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

First problem

Polo refuses to move!

Today when I started my car, released the handbrake and slot into 1st gear, the car simply refused to move. It was as if the handbrake is still activated(even when it was actually released!). Tried several times holding/releasing handbrake and then starting. But the car simply wouldn't move forward neither reverse.

Called up VW helpine and then spoke to the technician. He couldn't understand the cause of the problem. Had two options: 1. Call VW technician to my place 2. Tow the car to the workshop(using VW roadside assistance). But towing was not going to help either since the car is not moving an inch! So when I asked them to bring a technician to my place, they said no one's available today. Now, they've said there is someone who is going to come on Monday to check what's wrong.

Experts, what do you think has happened? The car has done just 500kms and I didn't expect it to show up a problem so early!

Last edited by theragingbull : 25th September 2010 at 17:21.
Old 25th September 2010, 17:21   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Polo refuses to move!

Today when I started my car, released the handbrake and slot into 1st gear, the car simply refused to move. It was as if the handbrake is still activated(even when it was actually released!). Tried several times holding/releasing handbrake and then starting. But the car simply wouldn't move forward neither reverse.

Called up VW helpine and then spoke to the technician. He couldn't understand the cause of the problem. Had two options: 1. Call VW technician to my place 2. Tow the car to the workshop(using VW road assistance). But towing was not going to help either since the car is not moving an inch! So when I asked them to bring a technician to my place, they said no one's available today. Now, they've said there is someone who is going to come on Monday to check what's wrong.

Experts, what do you think has happened? The car has done just 500kms and I didn't expect it to show up a problem so early!

Is the car cranking and starting properly?
If its starting and idling properly, the monsoon might have caused your drum brakes to jam (as your hand brakes were left on overnight). Some hammering should get it loose.
But let the technician diagnose it first.
Old 25th September 2010, 17:30   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Is the car cranking and starting properly?
If its starting and idling properly, the monsoon might have caused your drum brakes to jam (as your hand brakes were left on overnight). Some hammering should get it loose.
But let the technician diagnose it first.
Car cranks and starts properly. No monsoon in Bombay since the last two weeks. I can only guess the rear drum brakes are jammed cuz when I try to pull forward the rear suspensions just pull the car down.
Last I used my car 3 days back. And when I park, I always activate the handbrake. But in just 3 days, would it jam the brakes!!

Last edited by theragingbull : 25th September 2010 at 17:31.
Old 25th September 2010, 17:39   #110
BHPian

@theragingbull: given it is a brand new car, this is really scary. Being a waiting-in-line polo customer, i am quite disturbed after reading your posts. Do you still recommend this car? if not, why?

Last edited by mohandas : 25th September 2010 at 17:47. Reason: changing 'you' from 'u'
Old 25th September 2010, 19:04   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car cranks and starts properly. No monsoon in Bombay since the last two weeks. I can only guess the rear drum brakes are jammed cuz when I try to pull forward the rear suspensions just pull the car down.
Last I used my car 3 days back. And when I park, I always activate the handbrake. But in just 3 days, would it jam the brakes!!
Nothing to worry about, Theragingbull!! - I have faced this problem.

Hand brake is jammed. Remedy?:

Activate & Release hand brake about 10/15 times. It will release by itself. This happens when we apply hand brake & park the car for a number of days. I had done this, when I was not in station for a week. I think that the hand brake assembly as a whole, needs proper lubrication.

If you want to make sure that it is only the brake, jack up the rear of the car and try to spin the wheel. You can do this on both the rear wheels, one at a time.
Old 25th September 2010, 19:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Nothing to worry about, Theragingbull!! - I have faced this problem.

Hand brake is jammed. Remedy?:

Activate & Release hand brake about 10/15 times. It will release by itself. This happens when we apply hand brake & park the car for a number of days. I had done this, when I was not in station for a week. I think that the hand brake assembly as a whole, needs proper lubrication.
Just tried what you said. But still there is no relief. The car is totally freezed in one place.
Old 25th September 2010, 20:36   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just tried what you said. But still there is no relief. The car is totally freezed in one place.
It is either the hand brake or the foot brake. If you want to check before you get help, jack up each side, one at a time - and try to spin the wheel.

If only back wheels are stuck, it will be the hand brake. If all the wheels are stuck, it will be the foot brake.

Try paddling foot brake also, several times.
Old 25th September 2010, 21:00   #114
BHPian

TheragingBull : Hope you car gets running as soon as possible.

Gurus : So, if I am going for a long holiday what is advisable now that handbrake is causing issues. Is it OK to park the car in gear instead of hand brake? Or the gear might also get jammed?
Old 25th September 2010, 21:02   #115
Senior - BHPian

@ AvonA7 - park your car in 1st gear and place a wooden wedge / brick behind the rear wheels. I did that when I was out of station for 3 months and plan to do so again from next week onwards.
Old 25th September 2010, 21:11   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@ AvonA7 - park your car in 1st gear and place a wooden wedge / brick behind the rear wheels. I did that when I was out of station for 3 months and plan to do so again from next week onwards.
Thanks Blackasta.
One thing is not clear - why I need to put wooden wedge if car is parked in gear. Is it that when in gear, car can move? Sorry, am asking as these things are new to me.

*I`ll keep these issues in mind and whenever I next visit the dealership, shall definitely raise these issues with the service advisors and share with you all.
Old 25th September 2010, 21:17   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Thanks Blackasta.
One thing is not clear - why I need to put wooden wedge if car is parked in gear. Is it that when in gear, car can move? Sorry, am asking as these things are new to me.

*I`ll keep these issues in mind and whenever I next visit the dealership, shall definitely raise these issues with the service advisors and share with you all.
Failsafe procedure and in order to not exert too much pressure on the gear teeth (in case the car is parked on a slope).
Old 25th September 2010, 21:19   #118
Team-BHP Support

Ragingbull - Buddy hope your issue gets sorted out asap. But from next time if your car is not on an incline then dont pull the handbrake up too much. It is possible you pulled it up so much that after a few days of lying idle it jammed.

On a lighter note looks like you werent destined to get sunfilm today. RE35 my friend
Old 25th September 2010, 22:34   #119
BHPian

re:

If this is the case (jammed up handbrake), it is purely a niggling issue to me. If this is the case, then how this german engineering of "Das Auto" is different than that of Fiat or even Tata. What a shame!!!
Old 25th September 2010, 22:48   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
If this is the case (jammed up handbrake), it is purely a niggling issue to me. If this is the case, then how this german engineering of "Das Auto" is different than that of Fiat or even Tata. What a shame!!!
plz do not think like that. We still do not know what the issue is. Only when the VW technician comes on Monday will I know anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks