Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2010, 15:14   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Polo refuses to move!

Today when I started my car, released the handbrake and slot into 1st gear, the car simply refused to move. It was as if the handbrake is still activated(even when it was actually released!). Tried several times holding/releasing handbrake and then starting. But the car simply wouldn't move forward neither reverse.

Called up VW helpine and then spoke to the technician. He couldn't understand the cause of the problem. Had two options: 1. Call VW technician to my place 2. Tow the car to the workshop(using VW roadside assistance). But towing was not going to help either since the car is not moving an inch! So when I asked them to bring a technician to my place, they said no one's available today. Now, they've said there is someone who is going to come on Monday to check what's wrong.

Experts, what do you think has happened? The car has done just 500kms and I didn't expect it to show up a problem so early!
Sorry to hear that. A problem so early certainly leaves a bad taste but you should only worry if you dont get proper support from VW. Let the technician check the car, if its hand brake it will probably be the drums and the shoes. is the hand brake lever a bit free ir is it normal. If its foot brakes, there could be some vaccum in the brake lines including the master cylinder. Opening the brake oil container cap and pumping the foot brake might do the trick. I hope the problem is sorted asap by the technicians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
If this is the case (jammed up handbrake), it is purely a niggling issue to me. If this is the case, then how this german engineering of "Das Auto" is different than that of Fiat or even Tata. What a shame!!!
As I always say, problem can come in any machinery no matter how good or bad it is. Its all about the manufacturer accepting the fault and putiing it right. thats what matters the most. I hope VW puts it right, but if they dont then certainly they are no different from their sister concern SKODA.

EDIT: this is the first time I have heard of such a problem. Is it a usual problem that occours when a car is parked for a few days?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th September 2010 at 15:24.
Old 26th September 2010, 15:49   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
this is the first time I have heard of such a problem. Is it a usual problem that occours when a car is parked for a few days?
Never faced this problem before in any of the Cars I have used.

But, I have faced this problem once with Polo. Happened when the hand brake is pulled too far up & parked for a few days without use.
Old 27th September 2010, 12:37   #123
BHPian

Common problem in Polos

Looks like we have a bit of a trend here, in the Polos. As far as I remember, this is the third Polo with this problem on this forum. GTO/Mods - who compile the overall ownership report, please do make a note!

@Zohaib, hope this turns out well soon. I have left my Polo parked with the brake for a few days - so far so good. Fingers crossed!
Old 27th September 2010, 16:01   #124
GTO
Team-BHP Support

OUCH, VW / European unreliability raises its ugly head again! @Theragingbull : Keep us updated & I hope the dealer is able to sort out your issues ASAP.

Somehow, you just don't hear of such things happening with the Japanese & Koreans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
As far as I remember, this is the third Polo with this problem on this forum.
Third? Can you list out the other two threads?
Old 27th September 2010, 16:33   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Somehow, you just don't hear of such things happening with the Japanese & Koreans.

Third? Can you list out the other two threads?
Here's the first link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2044461

The second is Chethan's comment about his car, in this thread itself.

And the third of course, is Zohaib's car that is stuck currently.

However, not quite sure the Japs dont suffer from this - there seem to be similar issues with the Civic too: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1231300
Old 27th September 2010, 16:59   #126
BHPian

Zohaib. Has the problem been resolved? What did the technicians say? Thought I'd ask as I see you posting. Hope all's well.
Old 27th September 2010, 17:47   #127
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Problem resolved

Culprit: Rusted rear drums

On a car that is just 15 days old, it was found that the rear drums were rusted. The technician said it could be because of rains. But it never rained in bombay since the last two weeks!

Some pictures of the same here.

"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-imag0411.jpg
"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-imag0412.jpg
"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-imag0413.jpg

It was only after lots of calls to the workshop that they sent their service van. VW really need to pull up their socks. But the VW technician was quite professional. He wore gloves and did everything without any hurry. The rust was cleaned using emery paper. He even took photographs of the rusted parts so that he can show them to VW.
I am glad it wasn't a major problem and everything's working fine now. But I have to report this to VW. I'll send an email and the pictures to them so that they can find out the real cause of the problem.

Time to get some films now

Last edited by theragingbull : 27th September 2010 at 17:49.
Old 27th September 2010, 17:58   #128
BHPian

Quote:

VW really need to pull up their socks.
Time to get some films now
Thank God your problem got resolved Zohaib. Though it should not happen in such a new car, but alls well that ends well. You have to bring it up with their management & in fact, put up a link of this thread of yours. It will at least come to their notice that any issues whether good or bad, are read by a lot & lot of potential customers.

And yes, rukavat ke liye khed hai, films please
Old 27th September 2010, 18:01   #129
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that your problem has been solved.
Try not to keep the car parked in one position for over a day with handbrakes on.
Old 27th September 2010, 22:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering how can some rust on the brakes prevent the wheels from moving?? Can the brakes cease up totally in such a condition? In fact it was so strong that even revving to 3000 rpm in 1st gear I couldn't move the car an inch!
Old 28th September 2010, 01:11   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As promised, pictures of seat covers and floor mats

Art leather seat covers-- Rs.3500
Full floor .
Are your mudflaps dealer fitted OEM accesory? Are there any other options?

Quote:
I am wondering how can some rust on the brakes prevent the wheels from moving?? Can the brakes cease up totally in such a condition? In fact it was so strong that even revving to 3000 rpm in 1st gear I couldn't move the car an inch!
Nopes. Looks like there is some design flaw which they are conveniently blaming on the rust (which really is problem #2..unrelated)
Old 28th September 2010, 03:37   #132
BHPian

Plain rust wont keep the brakes held so tight. Could it have been some other sensor issues which locked your brakes? May have fixed itself when the mechanic reassembled the whole thing back.
Old 28th September 2010, 10:35   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Are your mudflaps dealer fitted OEM accesory? Are there any other options?
Yes they are OEM dealer fitted mud flaps. Cost 1100 bucks. You can also buy cheaper aftermarket ones.

-->
I'll wait for a few more days to see if the problem shows again. Even I think the mechanic must have got the car running by just cleaning off the rust but the real problem might be something else.
Old 28th September 2010, 10:39   #134
BHPian

Quote:

Culprit: Rusted rear drums

On a car that is just 15 days old, it was found that the rear drums were rusted. The technician said it could be because of rains. But it never rained in bombay since the last two weeks!
It may not be rust, but I think there is a definite possibility of the brakes seizing up on the Polo.

I felt it after our car had been driven in rain and left for a day with the handbrake on. Subsequently I took the car and braked fully a few times and now there is no problem.

Luckily the handbrake was applied lightly otherwise I too may have ended up in your situation.

I think VW needs to get their act together. I am not worried about the handbrake situation. But I am worried with the lack of communication between 1) VW and its dealers and 2) VW dealers to their customers.

Be it Bombay or Bangalore, the situation seems to be the same. Customers need to run from pillar to post to fix problems or even get mud-flaps (or reverse parking sensors as is my case right now).
Old 28th September 2010, 11:00   #135
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that the problem has been sorted. But as others even I am not able to get how some rust can stop the car completely from moving.

Another thing, if water can jam the drums it can also enter the drum and damage the wheel bearing and the brake shoe assembly. I have seen water damaging wheel bearing in older cars (8-10 year old) which have completely rusted drums (ofcourse from the inside, on the outside all the drums will catch rust in some time so they need to be painted atlest once a year from outside).

Raging bull: I hope you have trouble free ownership in future. Take care.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 28th September 2010 at 11:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks