Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 16:34   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2010 Ford Endeavour AT: Test Drive & Review

Recently got the 2014 Endeavour 4x2 AT as mentioned earlier, I find the AT transmission having a mind of it's own - On an open road when the car is at a cruising speed and you leave the accelerator, the RPM drops considerably as if it were back in neutral and when you press the accelerator back slightly to maintain speed the RPM jumps high up. This makes the engine very noise. Unlike other AT boxes that maintain the gear and rpm gradually this one seems to behave in this strange manner.
Do other owners of the AT Endy have this issue too??
Old 17th September 2014, 18:12   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Recently got the 2014 Endeavour 4x2 AT as mentioned earlier, I find the AT transmission having a mind of it's own - On an open road when the car is at a cruising speed and you leave the accelerator, the RPM drops considerably as if it were back in neutral and when you press the accelerator back slightly to maintain speed the RPM jumps high up. This makes the engine very noise. Unlike other AT boxes that maintain the gear and rpm gradually this one seems to behave in this strange manner.
RPM will drop if you leave the accelerator unless you are on cruise control and the vehicle will lower the gear.
Old 17th September 2014, 18:43   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
RPM will drop if you leave the accelerator unless you are on cruise control and the vehicle will lower the gear.
All our cars are AT but none of them have the RPM drop this much. This usually happens when the car has probably reached 5th gear at highway cruising speeds. The RPM drop is a given when you leave the accelerator but not to the level the Endeavor drops, moreover when you press the accelerator again it rises more than required to maintain the same speed. Feel as though it is double clutching at that point.
Old 18th September 2014, 11:27   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All our cars are AT but none of them have the RPM drop this much. This usually happens when the car has probably reached 5th gear at highway cruising speeds. The RPM drop is a given when you leave the accelerator but not to the level the Endeavor drops, moreover when you press the accelerator again it rises more than required to maintain the same speed. Feel as though it is double clutching at that point.
Could be related to the ECU setup mismatch somewhere, try having it checked through an OBD tool.
Old 18th September 2014, 11:56   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its an old school autobox. This is what happens with them. I think you are used to driving the ZFs in your bimmers, and the DSGs in your other cars, so this is very weird. But used to be similar on my Accord, and other older autos.
Old 19th September 2014, 01:36   #141
BHPian

Quote:
That is how these autoboxes work. Best thing to do is reach the speed u want to and then try to maintain it with a light foot. It has no engine braking unless the od kicks in so it's like going back in neutral
Old 19th September 2014, 09:15   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its an old school autobox. This is what happens with them. I think you are used to driving the ZFs in your bimmers, and the DSGs in your other cars, so this is very weird. But used to be similar on my Accord, and other older autos.
I thought so too but my Altis has an old stock 4 speed auto. Yet that doesn't have any such problem. It manages to hold the gears in overdrive.
Old 21st September 2014, 02:09   #143
BHPian

Quote:
I thought so too but my Altis has an old stock 4 speed auto. Yet that doesn't have any such problem. It manages to hold the gears in overdrive.
The gearbox is similar to fortuner. No engine braking until 90kmph so it reached idle rpm like in neutral. About the shooting rpm it occurs because the gearbox is mated to the engine characteristics of the endeavour. The max torque comes at a considerably high rpm so when you are trying to accelerate you wont feel it leaping ahead unless the rpm goes above 2500. I would advise you reach the desired speed and then gently light footedly press the accelerator so the speed does not drop. No need to go heavy foot on it

And this is my short review of the endeavour 4x4 AT

The engine is peppy and growls and the car leaps forward like a cat but the braking is mediocre. The Auto Box in question is a 5 speed with a overdrive that engages permanently at 90kmph or light footed at 60kmph. As I also own a fortuner it was easy for me to learn how to command the gearbox. It isnt your normal dsg or a Audi style CVT ( Which i love btw ). It demands control of your foot, press ur foot heavily and you are wasting diesel, keep the rpm between the torque range that is upto 3500rpm ( from what i feel). Exceeding that is a waste and will lead to jerks while shifting.Reach your desired speed and then gently feather footedly tap the accelerator ( above 60kmph) and its a cruise control. The car is an absolute bliss to drive when the overdrive engages at 90kmph. No more gear changes, shooting rpms just linear acceleration. About the engine noise cannot comment on that until i recover from the ear infection that too happened to start on monday xD . The Handling is what I would say average. Fortuner handles better but the ride is better on the endeavour as the suspension is softer. About the interiors , I would rate both equally. Endeavour has real wood in the interiors, the seats are more like a sofa, They are soft and hugging and huge i must say. The audio system has a dated UI and is a pain to work out. I still haven't been able to work out half of its function, have not been even able to turn on the screen that is mounted on the roof. This SUV is not a chauffeur driven SUV especially in an auto version because the driver will never be technical enough to drive it without making the passengers uncomfortable.
Old 8th October 2014, 19:23   #144

Had been on an extensive tour of Ladakh with my Endeavour 4x4 automatic. This is about the engine check light comming on at high altitude which I was aware of before leaving. The vehicle has a barometric sensor not an altimeter.

However the manual is grossly inadequate in explaining this. In my vehicle the light came on at about 16000ft. I guess since it senses barometric pressure the light will not come on exactly at the same height always.

But when it comes down it should logically go of on its own. unless of course the ECU interprets it as some malfunction in which case the fault code has to be removed with a program. in my case I had to switch off the engine for about 30 mins and on restarting it would not come on again unles I climbed again to that height. But while returning in the plains it also came up two times even after removing the fault code at Ludhiana. But after reaching Noida the following morning it was gone and has not lighted up for more than a week now. I wonder if there is some issue of dust going into the sensors although I made a feeble attempt at blowing the contact points in 3 sensors which I knew about.

The other common issue is exhaust gas recirculation problems..but then I had cleaned all carbon and done all the necessary servicing before leaving !!
Old 20th February 2015, 15:14   #145
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

There is a curiosity in my mind for a long time, but I could not find correct thread to get the answer, so putting it here. Mods please feel free to remove if invalid or move to the correct thread.

I have seen many SUVs, primarily Ford Endeavours with "5th Door Convex Mirrors" (Got the name from Google) something like in the picture below. I want to know what is the use of this and isn't it dangerous as it surely will block the rear view of the driver while driving, specially while reversing.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Ford Endeavour AT: Test Drive & Review-1135174263273-1.jpeg  

Old 20th February 2015, 16:09   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Rabbit80 - That mirror is used to show the bumper or the spare wheel edges to the driver. Very helpful when reversing such mammoth vehicles
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:34   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
The gearbox is similar to fortuner. No engine braking until 90kmph so it reached idle rpm like in neutral.
Engine braking happens down until 60 kmph if the OD is switched off. I use the Overdrive on/off switch a lot on highways. I feel its the best way to slow down a little bit under engine control.

Coming downhill I shift between 3 and 2. This reduces the work the brakes have to keep doing if I were to stay in (D)rive

And for a total OT, the wooden interiors on the Endeavour are a problem to maintain. The veneer peels off after a while and it costs Rs. 25K to replace the veneer window switches!!

I'm looking for ways to get them re-veneered. Any ideas lads?
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post

And for a total OT, the wooden interiors on the Endeavour are a problem to maintain. The veneer peels off after a while and it costs Rs. 25K to replace the veneer window switches!!

I'm looking for ways to get them re-veneered. Any ideas lads?

You can try water printing the plastic parts. They will first erase the previous print with some chemical and apply new print by soaking the plastic parts in water. Try searching water printing you will find more details. It's way cheaper got it done on my friends Thar
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:58   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Rabbit80 - That mirror is used to show the bumper or the spare wheel edges to the driver. Very helpful when reversing such mammoth vehicles
Thanks a lot kiku007. Shouldn't it limit the view of the driver. I guess you need to get used to it which should take some time.
Old 23rd February 2015, 13:09   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

I've seen it, didn't seem to obstruct the view.

What if I tell you that vans in Dubai had this in the front To check how close they can park in the front of the vehicle ahead in heavy slow moving traffic conditions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks