Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2010, 22:16   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
The suspension is a little stiff, agreed, especilly for the last row. But the SUV can really take the worst of the roads without a whimper, especially if you are not too slow. The key is speed - to help you fly over the potholes.
That's true to any SUV. What if you can't speed thanks to traffic? Also, in long term the tie-rods and lower arm bushes will wear out fast. First hand experience after doing the same trick.

BTW, have you seated 3 people in the middle row anytime? What did the person in the middle had to say about it, provided you are still in talking terms?

One more shot from Joshua Crasto while I was driving:

2010 Ford Endeavour AT: Test Drive & Review-p9240452.jpg
Old 10th October 2010, 23:46   #62
BHPian

Samurai, let me say just this - I haven't thrown too many of the other SUVs around on bad roads, and secondly, I have always sat on the driver's seat As far as I am concerned, I love her!

Now, my kid sleeps in the third row when we do long distance, and except for a couple of times when she's screamed at me for throwing her around, she gets a good sleep

And the middle person in the middle row - well, she fell in love with the guy sitting next to her Need I say more?
Old 11th October 2010, 00:14   #63
BHPian

Samurai,

How would you rate the ride? You say you felt every pot-hole on the road.
However, during my test drive of the 4x4 Endy, I found the Driver's seat to be very very comfortable...hence the question.

Also, did you go low on the tyre pressure so as to improve the ride quality?
Old 11th October 2010, 09:51   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_tangri View Post
How would you rate the ride? You say you felt every pot-hole on the road.
However, during my test drive of the 4x4 Endy, I found the Driver's seat to be very very comfortable...hence the question.

Also, did you go low on the tyre pressure so as to improve the ride quality?
Ride is the worst in the segment. Changing tyre pressure may help. But we were given vehicles with factory specified tyre pressure.

Driving fast over the potholes help too. But you can't do that all the time.

It is good vehicle no doubt, but with certain negative points. I have listed all the negatives in my review. If you can live with those, then you will enjoy it, immensely.

Quote:
And the middle person in the middle row - well, she fell in love with the guy sitting next to her Need I say more?
Ah! That's a very nice way of putting it.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th October 2010 at 09:53.
Old 11th October 2010, 11:00   #65
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for getting clarification from Ford. Since these are vacuum operated hubs, no need of reversing to disengage.
Old 17th October 2010, 11:33   #66

I have checked the FE with both 30psi and 32psi...no difference at all. 7.5 and 7.6kmpl to be precise in NCR. The ride quality changes perceptibly though with 30psi. I think only with a fully laden vehicle will have to use 32psi.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:07   #67
BHPian

My 2.5 endy with larger 275/70/16 Bridgestone Desert Dulers gives me 10.5 in the city and 11.5 on the highway
Old 24th October 2010, 11:18   #68
Team-BHP Support

So the one thing that hasn't improved over the years is the middle/rear-seat comfort. That's quite sad, considering the fact that Tata sells the Safari (and it has been selling for more that a decade now) and the passenger comfort it provides is supreme.

If someone is looking for a good, long-distance SUV with a third-row, would this Endeavour qualify? A family friend is interested in this.
Old 24th October 2010, 13:53   #69
BHPian

If you need to travel long distances with a 3rd row, you probably want to go for a MUV, not a SUV. Innova, in my opinion, would be your best option. May even make sense to check out the Aria.

Definitely not an Endy.
Old 28th November 2010, 12:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNandy View Post
I have recently acquired the 4x4 AT endeavour. before engaging to or disengaging from 4L the vehicle has to be stopped completely.
Here's an update. I was driving on pretty rough roads yesterday, and my co-driver placed her purse in the middle of the seats... unintentionally slotting the rotary switch from 2H into 4H and into 4L. Of course, neither was I in neutral nor had I stopped, so what happened is that the 4L and O/D Off indicators started flashing on my dash. I immediately pulled over, went into neutral, slotted the SUV back into 2H, and we were off. Net net, no harm as far as I could see - but I really wish the rotary switch wasn't that easy to operate!
Old 10th February 2011, 09:15   #71
BHPian

re: 2010 Ford Endeavour AT: Test Drive & Review

Hi! Samurai... Couple of questions:

1. How do I and where could I get the tow-hook fixed in Navi Mumbai... or Mumbai?

2. My dealer (Bhavna Ford) has NO CLUE about the existence of the Aux In port; and even after showing the manual and the slot in the car's console, they refuse to accept the fact that they don't know. Where could I get that fixed, because that is the only way that I could play my IPod (which I am currently doing through an FM transmitter).

3. One of the key aspects of off-roading is the ability to carry fuel. Could you tell me as to how could I fix a metal Jerry Can bracket on the car without puncturing anything on the body. That inability means I have to carry the fuel inside the car which is not safe, and makes life quite uncomfy at times. You know what I mean?

4. A fellow owner was asking the guys at the dealership about the padding under the bonnet-hood, and the utility of the rectangular cut in the foam padding there. The engineer mentioned that it is meant for the bonnet scoop. Now, the scoop gives an aesthetic appeal (I go green when I see that on the Paj or the Fortuner) and has a functional benefit when one is doing 11-hr drives (I mean long & strenuous drives). The engineer also mentioned that there is no company-offered bonnet scoops as well. So, a) is it necessary, and b) where could one get those (apart from the seemingly dubious ones on eBay) in Navi Mumbai / Mumbai?

Last edited by Samurai : 10th February 2011 at 10:23. Reason: Limit to 2 smileys
Old 10th February 2011, 10:28   #72
Team-BHP Support

Hi Paco, I won't be able to answer Mumbai specific questions, I am not from Mumbai.

Regarding Fuel, the Endy has 71 liter tank which is really a lot. Offroading vehicles don't need more fuel than that any time. Only an expedition vehicle, like driving to Leh, etc., might need extra jerry cans. Again, you'll have to contact a fabricator in your area.

Regarding Aux-in port, which model and variant of Endy you own?
Old 10th February 2011, 16:16   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hi Paco, I won't be able to answer Mumbai specific questions, I am not from Mumbai.

Regarding Fuel, the Endy has 71 liter tank which is really a lot. Offroading vehicles don't need more fuel than that any time. Only an expedition vehicle, like driving to Leh, etc., might need extra jerry cans. Again, you'll have to contact a fabricator in your area.

Regarding Aux-in port, which model and variant of Endy you own?

I have the 3.0 4X4 Auto Endy. I asked about the Jerry Can because I am indeed planning my 6500kms-trip to Leh & surrounding areas form Mumbai.
Old 17th February 2011, 15:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but there were some unanswered questions which I will answer to my best knowledge.

Quote:

Ah, you are right. Let's wait for a current owner to respond. I don't see anything else on the bumper.
You are right. there is no place for the towhook at the rear and Ford has not given us an option to get one installed either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The unprotected oil cooler and its pipe (marked in green) hanging down at the edge of the bumper may be a matter of concern when off-roading,
can something be done here? probably custom made plates and installed to give the necessary protection while offroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I take it this is one of few vehicles with factory fitted GPS? Any good?
The GPS is from Map My India and I am pretty satisfied with it, though there are times when I could have done better without it. Lets face it, It will be ages before India get the realtime GPS system up and running.

funny incident was when i was driving the endeavour from bangalore to Goa and the GPS was showing that the car (Red Arrow mark, yes no option to have a car on the screen) was somewhere over a lake where I was driving right next to it. sorry no pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

I think I had read that the 4WD is shift-on-fly, however in this case, you needed to shift to N in order to move to 2H, which means either it is not shift on the fly OR there was an issue with this vehicle !

Where is the lock for Spare tyre cover ? We are aware of the demands in the chor market for them.
you need to shift to N only when changing From or To 4L.
The lock is placed below the spare tyre cover.

Quote:
4L -> 4H : Shift-on-fly

But the caveat of doing 4L -> 4H in neutral voids the above statement.
you need to get the car into N before shifting, otherwise the 4L light does not go off. have seen this in my endeavour.

Quote:
No, it is not. The Endeavour 4WD system is exactly like Safari, it even has the rear LSD like Safari. But the oral info I got on hub unlocking and shift-on-fly is little inconsistent.

I am hoping that a current owner will jump in and answer some of these questions.
No need to drive back whatever meters (generally 2 times car length) i guess this is already answered in posts above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNandy View Post
I have checked the FE with both 30psi and 32psi...no difference at all. 7.5 and 7.6kmpl to be precise in NCR. The ride quality changes perceptibly though with 30psi. I think only with a fully laden vehicle will have to use 32psi.
Thats the FE you will get no matter what the tire pressure is. make sure you fill in at fuel stations that are recommended or tested for quality.
quality of fuel plays a huge role in this.

Quote:
Here's an update. I was driving on pretty rough roads yesterday, and my co-driver placed her purse in the middle of the seats... unintentionally slotting the rotary switch from 2H into 4H and into 4L. Of course, neither was I in neutral nor had I stopped, so what happened is that the 4L and O/D Off indicators started flashing on my dash. I immediately pulled over, went into neutral, slotted the SUV back into 2H, and we were off. Net net, no harm as far as I could see - but I really wish the rotary switch wasn't that easy to operate!
you need to be pretty carefull in this. the switch can be broken easily.
my driver has done this many times while cleaning slotting the car into 4wd mode and now the switch is broken.

broken in the sense that the car now shifts to 4wd mode (4H) even when the switch is pointing to 2wd. the switch needs to be imported and will take a week to come. till then the only way to drive the endeavour is to keep the switch pressed for sometime till the light goes off.

luckily its still under warranty.
Old 21st February 2011, 15:30   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Paco, ... Regarding Aux-in port, which model and variant of Endy you own?
Any input on the aux-in port?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks