Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 12:34   #46
BHPian

In my Scorpio AT 4wd, moving from 2H to 4H and vice versa is possible on the fly, but for 4L to 2H you need to be N for engaging and disengaging, I am not sure here if it was just 4H to 2H or form 4L to 2H, if it was 4L it need to be in N first.

-Pramod
Old 8th October 2010, 13:15   #47
Team-BHP Support

Generally this is lot less confusing in full-time 4WD since there is no need to unlock the hubs.

But with part-time 4WD, hub unlocking creates some extra doubts. In Scorpio/Safari, don't you have to reverse a little to unlock the hubs?

With Endeavour, I was told the following:

2H -> 4H : Shift-on-fly
4H -> 4L : Stop and shift
4L -> 4H : Shift-on-fly
4H -> 2H : Shift-on-fly

And there is no need to reverse to unlock the hubs.

But the caveat of doing 4L -> 4H in neutral voids the above statement.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th October 2010 at 13:21. Reason: typo
Old 8th October 2010, 13:23   #48
Team-BHP Support

In part time 4WD like scorpio and safari, we have to go 3 meters in the direction opposite from the direction in which the vehicle was moving to unlock hubs.
In Full time 4WD, hubs will always be locked, so I guess no need to do such stuff.
So Endeavour is a full time 4WD
Old 8th October 2010, 13:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I don't think so. If it was, you wouldn't have the 2H-4H-4L selector
Old 8th October 2010, 14:14   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No, it is not. The Endeavour 4WD system is exactly like Safari, it even has the rear LSD like Safari. But the oral info I got on hub unlocking and shift-on-fly is little inconsistent.

I am hoping that a current owner will jump in and answer some of these questions.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:43   #51
Team-BHP Support

Well lets wait for owners, but Endy can have a gypsy like setup where front hubs are always locked.
Older gypsies required you to get down and lock hubs.
Later they made always locked hubs, which will result in higher fuel consumption, but since the the FE hit was not too much Maruti went in for always locked hubs, which removed the need for getting down.
They could have used auto locking hubs like scorpio/safari, but such hubs cost 4-5 times that of always locked hubs.
Old 8th October 2010, 15:04   #52
BHPian

In the Endy, you can move from 2H to 4H and back on the fly, but for moving to and from 4L, you need to stop, shift to neutral (which unlocks the hubs, I believe) and then do the 4H to 4L and vice versa change.

Endy is not full time 4WD.

Also, for disengaging from 4L, there is no need to get in reverse.

This is as per my understanding and experience, I should admit I have not really gotten into the technical details to try figure out the "truth"
Old 8th October 2010, 15:29   #53
Team-BHP Support

Siddharth, if you do not required reversing, I suspect Endy is using either always locked hubs, like the gypsy, or the more expensive Vaccum operated hubs which are favorite among Ford in the USA.

Safari and Scorpio have spring loaded hubs, and they apparently are less prone to failure as there is no chance of leak and all.
However, they are prone to spring bending etc., if shift on the fly is done at higher speeds.

Somebody once told me that even though my safari is shift on the fly, since I use 4x4 so frequently, I should stop and then shift to 4x4 to enhance my hub life.

But I guess we are going totally OT!
Old 8th October 2010, 15:32   #54
BHPian

Yes, but this is an interesting topic, I hope someone can check this out from a technical stand point, and let us know...

I will try and get some response from my friend in Ford too
Old 8th October 2010, 15:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the Endeavour (known as Everest in other markets) does not have "always locked" front hubs either - the vehicle specifications mention "Remote locking front hubs".

Last edited by suman : 8th October 2010 at 15:52.
Old 8th October 2010, 15:51   #56
Team-BHP Support

Can you look at your service book. Normally the last page or near last page has detailed tech specs of components.
I suspect Endy has Vacuum operated locking hubs, since many other Ford 4x4s use them. Since Suman mentioned Remote locking front hubs, I suspect these are Vacuum hubs!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th October 2010 at 15:53.
Old 8th October 2010, 22:28   #57

I have recently acquired the 4x4 AT endeavour. before engaging to or disengaging from 4L the vehicle has to be stopped completely. changes between 2H and 4H can be done on the fly, but the max speed for 4H is 100kmph.
And yes, there is no tow hook in the rear. Driving it is very easy although one has to take little more care while turning in tight situations because of the larger turning radius. The suspension is stiff but quite manageble if the tyre pressure is kept at 30psi which is the lowest of the recomended range when the load is low. Presently i am comparing the difference in milage with 30 psi and 32 psi.
Old 8th October 2010, 23:21   #58
BHPian

MNandy, you are right, driving at 30 psi does make the ride a lot more comfy.

The only thing you need to worry about at high speeds on highway are the sudden jumps of the type you encounter when there is a big depression in the road, say at the ends of a bridge - the Endy tends to leap out of the depression, and bounces effortlessly on touchdown, but you might find it difficult to control the car. The suspension works like a beauty for the car, but for the occupants on the last row, it might be a little too much to handle.
Old 10th October 2010, 12:42   #59
BHPian

OK, here's the clarification I got from Ford...

Siddhesh: Other than stopping and shifting into neutral for getting into and out of 4L mode, do we need to do anything else? Ford: Only RFW (remote free wheel) must be engaged during getting into 4L. Speed must be low speed (in case of AT). Vehicle should be stopped and steering to be straight (in case of manual). Getting out of 4L -Vehicle to be stopped and RFW should be disengaged.

Siddhesh: In the AT version I have, there is no specific RFW switch, the 2H-4H-4L rotary switch is what you use. In manual, I believe there is a specific RFW switch on the dash.

Siddhesh: Are these vacuum operated locking hubs?
Ford: Yes

Last edited by siddheshb : 10th October 2010 at 12:45.
Old 10th October 2010, 13:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Where is the lock for Spare tyre cover ? We are aware of the demands in the chor market for them.
At the bottom of the cover - there's a latch, you need to add the lock I love the anti-theft nuts - although they come at a steep price. At least you know you won't find your beloved car propped up on bricks one fine morning!

Some other comments after 10,000 kms in my AT:

The suspension is a little stiff, agreed, especilly for the last row. But the SUV can really take the worst of the roads without a whimper, especially if you are not too slow. The key is speed - to help you fly over the potholes.

Top speed is very high - I have managed to hit 170+ on the expressway, and the SUV handles beautifully, rock solid on the road. Yes, it's one second slower at take off, but as Samurai pointed, will quickly out run the more nimble beasts

And the jump on the beach - loved the pic, Samurai Check my thread for some other cool masti in Goa (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-3-0l-4x4.html)

Last edited by siddheshb : 10th October 2010 at 13:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks