Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 10:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

An excellent review, Samurai-san!

I am definitely not in the market for a 20-lakh SUV, but what I want to know is that despite what seems to be a competent and tough SUV, is the middle and rear set set-up very uncomfortable? How would you rate it as compared to, say, the Safari or the GV?

I understand that the Endy platform is basically developed from a light truck, but I wonder how Tata has got the ride comfort and seating comfort so right (for middle row, atleast, if not the rear row) which an SUV twice its price doesn't?
Old 6th October 2010, 10:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I understand that the Endy platform is basically developed from a light truck, but I wonder how Tata has got the ride comfort and seating comfort so right (for middle row, atleast, if not the rear row) which an SUV twice its price doesn't?
Simple, Endy is the only SUV that still sports a rear leaf spring setup. (for a moment let's ignore Gurkha which is something else)

Last edited by Samurai : 6th October 2010 at 10:49.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

My dream SUV always loved the way it stood and the bullet proof feeling it gives. Even heard that its quite trouble free in the long run, though parts are lil expensive.

Regarding the rear tow hook, did you see any caps on the bumper? Usually these vehicles have detachable tow hooks along with the tool kit, which can be bolted on to the chassis. These are neatly hidden away under some cosmetic stuff. Also i dont think a vehicle can be homologated without a tow hook??
Old 6th October 2010, 13:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic write-up. How would you compare to the GV and the Fortuner (if you have spent some time driving the Fortuner) in terms of highway driving and bad-roading capabilities?
Old 6th October 2010, 14:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Samurai. The photography deserves a special mention.

Like many others, I would like to know how you rate it against the GV, especially the 2.4 version.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:33   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
. Also i dont think a vehicle can be homologated without a tow hook??
Even Indigo does not have a rear tow hook(atleast one variant/model had this). Ditto for the alto.
So rear tow hook is definitely not a requirement.

That said, in the west lifestyle vehicles are used for towing trailers and caravans, so I wonder why Ford left this out for Indian version!
Old 6th October 2010, 14:37   #22
Team-BHP Support

^^ Are you sure indigo doesnt have detachable hook also? Swift and iKon does not have them in front but they do provide the detachable hook along with tool kit.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
AI understand that the Endy platform is basically developed from a light truck, but I wonder how Tata has got the ride comfort and seating comfort so right (for middle row, atleast, if not the rear row) which an SUV twice its price doesn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Simple, Endy is the only SUV that still sports a rear leaf spring setup. (for a moment let's ignore Gurkha which is something else)
Well, apart from the leaf springs, I can't understand why they don't modify the middle row seating itself! At the moment, because of the short distance between the floor & the seat, you sit with your knees pointing upwards & that's what contributes to a large extent to the shitty ride over long distances.

Sharath, nice review & excellent photography, as usual
Old 6th October 2010, 14:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review of the Endy, Samurai. I love the way you've given such an in-depth analysis.

Ride quality has always been a -ve point in the Endy, but this forum's revew of the Fortuner also points to a similar -ve there. Isn't Fortuner built on a non-leaf spring platform?

Since you also own a GV, how would you compare the ride quality and body roll in all 3 vehicles?
Old 6th October 2010, 15:01   #25
BHPian

I was desperately looking for such a review about 4X4 Endeavour.
Very nice review Samurai. . What amazed me is that you still say seating comfort in middle row is uncomfortable. I am 6foot tall and what do you have to say about seating comfort for me in all the rows.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:05   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Fantastic write-up. How would you compare to the GV and the Fortuner (if you have spent some time driving the Fortuner) in terms of highway driving and bad-roading capabilities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Like many others, I would like to know how you rate it against the GV, especially the 2.4 version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Since you also own a GV, how would you compare the ride quality and body roll in all 3 vehicles?
Since I have not driven Fortuner myself, I will leave that comparison to somebody has driven both. The bodyroll/handling of Endy is not as good as GV, that much is sure. GV obviously will have better ride and handling than both Fortuner and Endeavour because GV uses monocoque over ladder frame, which is a rare combination. It is even rarer on roads.

But Fortuner and GV are full-time 4WD where as Endy is part-time, it can't go 4x4 on tarmac. On the grunt, both Fortuner and Endy will leave GV far behind, offroad or onroad.

Quote:
Regarding the rear tow hook, did you see any caps on the bumper? Usually these vehicles have detachable tow hooks along with the tool kit, which can be bolted on to the chassis. These are neatly hidden away under some cosmetic stuff. Also i dont think a vehicle can be homologated without a tow hook??
Looks like you are right. I do see this hole on the bumper. May be a current owner comment on it?

2010 Ford Endeavour AT: Test Drive & Review-p9245353.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, apart from the leaf springs, I can't understand why they don't modify the middle row seating itself! At the moment, because of the short distance between the floor & the seat, you sit with your knees pointing upwards & that's what contributes to a large extent to the shitty ride over long distances.
The middle seat in the middle row is a real torture seat. No only the seat is hard and raised, even the floor is raised. Anybody will hate sitting there.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

I Always like the "Butch" looks of the Endevour, even the older gen but then the ride is so crappy that almost instantly after the test drive, one wishes against buying it.

I like the interiors set up and the older gen had a faux third row. i choose to call it Faux because its just a show row with not real foot well to sit right. If we were to sit in the third row our heads would be in our knees. Would do with a good bout of Yoga practice. Looks like that has not changed too.

Samu, is the new 3.0 litre engine not good enough to handle all this weight? I always thought the Endevour was uselessly heavy!!
Old 6th October 2010, 15:15   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like you are right. I do see this hole on the bumper. May be a current owner comment on it?
Nope that looks like the reverse camera?? Do you have any better shots of the rear bumper area? And did you get a chance to scan the owners manual?
Old 6th October 2010, 15:18   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Samu, is the new 3.0 litre engine not good enough to handle all this weight? I always thought the Endevour was uselessly heavy!!
It is definitely good enough. But don't expect it to accelerate like a powerful sedan, it won't. Sudden flooring the pedal will only evoke a "You gotta be kidding me!" response from Endeavour.

But, at any speed, and if you slowly sink your foot, it will respond linearly. There is no whining or delay from the vehicle. I really liked that part of the AT box.

Quote:
Nope that looks like the reverse camera?? Do you have any better shots of the rear bumper area? And did you get a chance to scan the owners manual?
Ah, you are right. Let's wait for a current owner to respond. I don't see anything else on the bumper.

2010 Ford Endeavour AT: Test Drive & Review-p92453581.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 6th October 2010 at 15:23.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even Indigo does not have a rear tow hook(atleast one variant/model had this). Ditto for the alto.
So rear tow hook is definitely not a requirement.
The Palio Stile doesn't have a towing hook either (detachable or otherwise). Instead, the ASC has pointed out four "holes" (rectangular openings about an inch each way), two in front and two at the rear on four arms hanging down from part of the chassis on which the bumper is bolted. This is supposed to be the towing hook.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks